Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I bought Ulfenkarn: City on the Edge of Death for Soulbound a week or so ago, and after some consideration, I think I rather like it. Not a direct plug and play campaign like Shadows in the Mist or Blackened Earth, but it gives you a lot of districts, one-page adventures and "Dungeons" to work with. I feel like it would be really easy to just string bits from the book together and run a really reactive player-driven campaign without having to work anywhere near as hard as if I'd put things together from scratch.

The campaign books, in contrast, tend to put things on a bit of a railroad that is easily derailed by the amount of power Soulbound gives to PCs. I still really like Blackened Earth, but if I was running either of those I think I would be working a little bit harder than my default unless the player group was very passive. I hope we get some more books with a similar approach to Ulfenkarn in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

avoraciopoctules posted:

I bought Ulfenkarn: City on the Edge of Death for Soulbound a week or so ago, and after some consideration, I think I rather like it. Not a direct plug and play campaign like Shadows in the Mist or Blackened Earth, but it gives you a lot of districts, one-page adventures and "Dungeons" to work with. I feel like it would be really easy to just string bits from the book together and run a really reactive player-driven campaign without having to work anywhere near as hard as if I'd put things together from scratch.

The campaign books, in contrast, tend to put things on a bit of a railroad that is easily derailed by the amount of power Soulbound gives to PCs. I still really like Blackened Earth, but if I was running either of those I think I would be working a little bit harder than my default unless the player group was very passive. I hope we get some more books with a similar approach to Ulfenkarn in the future.

It's a cool book. The characters are also weaker in Ulfenkarn so it's harder for them to just steamroll everything like advanced Soulbound characters can.

Also Realm of Ruin the AoS RTS game is currently 40% off for anyone even slightly interested. I personally think it's pretty fun, so I would love it to do better.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I thought the idea of the campaign was that it was going to be played with less powerful PC's and lean more on survival than action.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Having more than one unit of Stormvermin as a bodyguard is a wildly deranged choice over far more and far cheaper clan rats, right? Only they look cool, is the thing.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Cooked Auto posted:

I thought the idea of the campaign was that it was going to be played with less powerful PC's and lean more on survival than action.

You are encouraged to play that way (they even have some interesting tools you can deploy if you DO have players bringing 35xp chars instead of the 20xp chars suggested), but your players are still going to be playing heroes who stand out and can do impressive stuff. One of the suggested starter adventures is a dramatic jailbreak.

One of the weaker archetypes is still an amethyst mage, and you don't need a lot of raw power if you're going to go ethereal and pass through the walls. The fighty archetypes have cool stuff of their own.
EDIT: Don't have it in front of me atm, but I remember an ogre, an elven ranger with some nifty magic arrows, a vampire hunter with magic stakes, a noble with some neat fencing buffs

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Pretty sure all of the archetypes are based on the Cursed City hero models.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cooked Auto posted:

Pretty sure all of the archetypes are based on the Cursed City hero models.

All the archetypes are based on the Cursed City Heroes, but with the exception of the Ogor the art is all gender swapped.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Now that's neat though.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

grassy gnoll posted:

Having more than one unit of Stormvermin as a bodyguard is a wildly deranged choice over far more and far cheaper clan rats, right? Only they look cool, is the thing.

Can you just the Stormvermin models as clanrats?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

smug jeebus posted:

Can you just the Stormvermin models as clanrats?

Sure, but I have a hundred-plus clan rats and ten SVs.

Mostly wondering if they serve any purpose beyond bodyguarding.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

grassy gnoll posted:

I've used a 20 rat squad of them before in lots of game, typically standing behind the clan rat screen for a counterattack. While they tend to die fairly quickly, they hit pretty hard and take buffs like Skavenbrew or Gnash-Gnaw well. They tend not to attract too much fire in the early game as Skaven have lots of big, flashy murder machines that need to be dealt with quickly. This has lead to them being a pretty good bully unit in the late game.

That said, I don't think I will ever need more than the 20 I have.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

grassy gnoll posted:

Fighting on death when urged on by a big rat demon, iirc.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

grassy gnoll posted:

20 of them with a buff or two can really shred stuff, they're a decent late game anchor.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

snaaaaake (also a vampire, I guess)

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 18, 2023

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

gently caress that's a good model

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

That’s a great model but I don’t know if I need more wolves or bats. Sounded like she’ll be available separately eventually.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
That's awesome, and I do need wolves and bats.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
that's an unbelievably 'simple' model for AOS. I dig it.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to making models taller? I'm working on a bog model and I wanted to build up the base to make it more scenic, but the LoS rules seem kind of vague.

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

Funzo posted:

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to making models taller? I'm working on a bog model and I wanted to build up the base to make it more scenic, but the LoS rules seem kind of vague.

I don't recall if there's a hard rule for it but I've always seen it as being able to draw an unobstructed line from base to base

1.5.1 MEASURING DISTANCES
Distances in Warhammer Age of Sigmar are measured in inches ("). The distance between two models is measured between the closest points on the bases of the models. If a model does not have a base, measure to and from the closest point on the model instead. You can measure distances whenever you wish.

When measuring the distance between units, always measure between the closest models from each unit. For example, a unit is within 12" of another unit as long as at least one model in one of the units is 12" or less from at least one model in the other unit.

Sometimes a rule will require you to draw a straight line between two models or two points on the battlefield. When this is the case, the line is an imaginary one and is assumed to be 1mm wide.

GIRL BRAINS fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 19, 2023

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Taller is a bigger pain to transport.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/12/27/whats-coming-to-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-in-2024/

The 2024 teaser video is up, but it's very "blink and you'll miss it" because they pad a 50 second video with like 45 seconds of just listing this years releases.

But I saw at least a new ghost in there.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Besides the ghost, I see guns so probably a new cities hero, maybe Callis and Toll are finally going to get models. Also, some elf-ish person and a kind of chaotic horse.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
From what I can puzzle out, looks like a new nighthaunt, a new elf (it looks like he’s holding an anchor, so probably Idoneth), a witch-hunter model with the cloak holding the lantern & another CoS guy holding a gun, and the horse-rider. I can only see the horse has tusks on its face armor, so… chaos?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The era of the Centigor is here
Or perhaps the Sylvaneth centaur Elves?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kurnothi or Centigors both own, so

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Give me skaven relaunch or go to hell.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

My guesses:

Marauder / Darkoath Cavalry
Callis and Toll
Nighthaunt hero of some kind (doesn't appear to be the potion ghost from the advent calendar)
New Lumineth unit with some kind of horse-like helmet crest (first thought was Idoneth, but the animal crests and flowing ribbons are 100% Lumineth design features)

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
I can’t tell based on the angles with the big mace, is it a single ghost or two distinct ones?

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

grassy gnoll posted:

Give me skaven relaunch or go-go to hell, man-things.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/WarbossKurgan/status/1740152429629567102

Looks like we might get new Chaos Marauders.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
That would be a pleasant but expensive surprise for me! Glad I sold my old marauder horsemen this year, they just didn't measure up to the newer chaos sculpts.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

All the Darkoath sculpts are cool as hell and scratch that Conan itch, hopefully they become a fully-fleshed out subfaction where you can actually run them as their own force eventually. That's honestly what I'd love to see more of versus making entire new armies - some are basically there already, like Gloomspite Gitz having viable options for a mixed force, mono-squig, and mono-troggoth lists.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Personally I just want them to make Darkoath stuff the official "marauder" subfaction for S2D, they're part of the way there already but the transition isn't fully completed. There's stuff clearly for marauders that is Darkoath but the old marauder stuff doesn't actually have the Darkoath keyword to key off of their abilities. Also please replace the old marauder playdoh men while you are at it.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Just make Darkoath Savagers the new marauders.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Genghis Cohen posted:

That would be a pleasant but expensive surprise for me! Glad I sold my old marauder horsemen this year, they just didn't measure up to the newer chaos sculpts.

I'm still sticking with the heavy infantry and cavalry in S2D, plus cultists for seasoning, until I get my feet under me. Is there big-brain play with the marauders that I'm missing out on?

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

grassy gnoll posted:

I'm still sticking with the heavy infantry and cavalry in S2D, plus cultists for seasoning, until I get my feet under me. Is there big-brain play with the marauders that I'm missing out on?

Nah, marauders got pretty heavily nerfed from how they used to be. Had almost twice as many attacks, rend and +hit with more models, and were base 20 in a unit for few points for each model. Oh, and really good movement shenanigans (lowest die on a charge turned into a 6). AND -1 to enemy bravery in melee. Sheesh, what a terrible change.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Just make Darkoath Savagers the new marauders.

Yeah I think this would work best. They have a pretty decent Warscroll too.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

grassy gnoll posted:

Yeah as said the Marauders got hit hard by a nerf with the current book, because they used to be the most efficient battle line unit. Maybe the horsemen still have some sort of role as fast chaff, but I've never seen them taken either.

I also prefer the heavy metal look of the army, but I wouldn't be opposed to some fresh darkoath/marauder types. I think they're a bit boxed in for infantry design space though, the Warcry Darkoath Savagers unit is just so close to what a refreshed Marauder unit would be. And yet it's not quite that. It has all the scale and weapon differentiation of a skirmish warband, and the 1-in-10 shaman model. What we really need is a proper horde unit if relatively uniformly armed dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

All the Darkoath sculpts are cool as hell and scratch that Conan itch, hopefully they become a fully-fleshed out subfaction where you can actually run them as their own force eventually. That's honestly what I'd love to see more of versus making entire new armies - some are basically there already, like Gloomspite Gitz having viable options for a mixed force, mono-squig, and mono-troggoth lists.

*in chaos dwarf*

Shut the gently caress up, liberal