Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Played for a few hours today, it's fun but probably not something I would have spent money on if it wasn't already included with EOD. For me at least it seems like it will just be a better shooting range to get better at the actual game.

The least fun part is just getting matched against people who have way better kits unlocked already. Of course you can often be at a gear disadvantage in the main game but it seems like there's less you can do to work around it. On the flip side once you unlock a couple kits you start to have games where you steamroll people on the same basis. Either the kits will need to be heavily rebalanced, the matchmaking will need to be improved to better take into account both player skill (which it barely does) and level (not at all), or both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

I've played for like 4 hours so far and I really only have two annoyances. One is that healing/med animations are WAY TOO SLOW to be worthwhile unless you take a shot at the beginning of the round, otherwise everything else is happening much faster and it's almost not even worth healing. Number two is that once the round turns to the objective phase it's almost impossible to react in time to someone capping unless you are prepared and camping one.

hello internet fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 19, 2023

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

hello internet posted:

Number two is that once the round turns to the objective phase it's almost impossible to react in time to someone capping unless you are prepared and camping one.

Yeah I don't mind the short cap time but I do think there should be a short period where the point is visible but not capture-able. On Sawmill especially it takes longer than 7 seconds to get one point in sight from the other, so if you're the last one on your team (or the only one paying attention) and you guess incorrectly you automatically lose the round.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Hooray, I was finally chosen.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

i vomit kittens posted:

Played for a few hours today, it's fun but probably not something I would have spent money on if it wasn't already included with EOD. For me at least it seems like it will just be a better shooting range to get better at the actual game.

The least fun part is just getting matched against people who have way better kits unlocked already. Of course you can often be at a gear disadvantage in the main game but it seems like there's less you can do to work around it. On the flip side once you unlock a couple kits you start to have games where you steamroll people on the same basis. Either the kits will need to be heavily rebalanced, the matchmaking will need to be improved to better take into account both player skill (which it barely does) and level (not at all), or both.

They're gonna need to figure out a completely new system for Ranked. The current system seems like more of a Casual game mode that would include a progression system with "quests" and other goals baked into the leveling and unlock tree system (and even then it should choose unlock tier-based matchmaking to ensure you're not getting stomped every game). Bare minimum they need to normalize kit choices in Ranked matches, it doesn't even have the illusion of fairness at the moment lol

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

The Clap posted:

Bare minimum they need to normalize kit choices in Ranked matches, it doesn't even have the illusion of fairness at the moment lol

Seriously. Trying to level up a tree and having to use a single fire 5.45 with PS against a kitted up man sucks.

BSG really likes to make games that give no-lifers advantages I guess.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Aussie streamers harmz, redopz and tube who helped pestily with his latest kappa speed run went hard on day 1 in a 5 stack, and got their arp so high that yesterday with the current matchmaking they got into 1 match over a 4 hour period on the oce servers lol.

When they all gave up for the day, harmz joined up with some of his mods who only just got access (myself included) and we were getting into games instantly, but getting rolled because harmz was the only one with anything unlocked, and we were matching up against players whod unlocked a bunch of poo poo.

There is so much wrong with arena that I think pestily was generous giving it a 4/10.

It def should be unranked only right now instead of ranked.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

Mellow_ posted:

Seriously. Trying to level up a tree and having to use a single fire 5.45 with PS against a kitted up man sucks.

BSG really likes to make games that give no-lifers advantages I guess.

The fact that their "competitive arena shooter" also requires an insane uphill grind that explicitly rewards people who can spend more time playing the game by giving them better weapons would be very funny if it wasn't so irritating.

Tarkov and now Arena are fun despite themselves - the devs simply cannot stop getting in their own way. My favorite example of their insane priorities is when they spent two years releasing Lighthouse in parts, the whole time teasing this awesome new NPC that can only be accessed in-raid. When they finally release the Lightkeeper it turns out he's an end-game NPC that less than 1% of the playerbase will encounter. Don't worry though - all of your favorite streamers will be able to show you the content if you don't have the time to get there yourself.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

BSG is looking for some kind of winning formula despite them having had one for years now. They make a very compelling extraction shooter. Why they want to do anything BUT that lately, I will never know. But their desire to have Tarkov be open world, and the traders to be in-game, and to have an attached arena shooter, and whatever other stupid poo poo they come up with is going to do nothing but destroy their product. gently caress armor plating, gently caress custom rigs, gently caress all that stupid poo poo. They need to tighten up the netcode, the gunplay, fix the wonky gunsights, work on anti-cheat, basically refine all the stuff that makes Tarkov good so it's even better, and then they need to focus on what they're best at: level design.

That's it. Make a good, fun extraction shooter, and release maps. That's all they fuckin have to do. And they're not gonna do it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think Nikita and whomever else is actually making high level design decisions at BSG would still probably manage to bone things up in the end but I will be eternally curious what would have become of Tarkov if it hadn't blown up big on Twitch and in general in late 2019/early 2020. Stuff was already getting changed in the game at that point on behalf of streamers - mosin, strength skill at least twice, probably something else I've forgotten - but the constant lean into wipes being basically a second job has gotten worse and worse since then. Granted that was also The Before Times and I don't super remember how things were before the game blew up in terms of community engagement with wipes.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

BSG is looking for some kind of winning formula despite them having had one for years now. They make a very compelling extraction shooter. Why they want to do anything BUT that lately, I will never know. But their desire to have Tarkov be open world, and the traders to be in-game, and to have an attached arena shooter, and whatever other stupid poo poo they come up with is going to do nothing but destroy their product. gently caress armor plating, gently caress custom rigs, gently caress all that stupid poo poo. They need to tighten up the netcode, the gunplay, fix the wonky gunsights, work on anti-cheat, basically refine all the stuff that makes Tarkov good so it's even better, and then they need to focus on what they're best at: level design.

That's it. Make a good, fun extraction shooter, and release maps. That's all they fuckin have to do. And they're not gonna do it.

The reason I’m excited about Arena is the same reason Tarkov has been a core game that I’ve come back to over and over for the last several years: BSG has created the single best ballistics model/gun customization/gunplay combination in the industry. And yeah you’re absolutely right, the core gameplay loop is totally solid. The instincts that led Nikita and company to create the best ballistics model are the same instincts that leads them to obsess over lovely additions like customizeable rigs (???) and the “realism” that, at every turn, makes the game less fun and more like a chore.

I’m so tired of waiting for Nikita to get a clue. I’m a Destiny fan so I’m already excited for Marathon but more than anything I just hope it’s good enough to give some actual competition to Tarkov - as it stands without any real competition Nikita is free to keep loving it up.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Clap posted:

I’m so tired of waiting for Nikita to get a clue. I’m a Destiny fan so I’m already excited for Marathon but more than anything I just hope it’s good enough to give some actual competition to Tarkov - as it stands without any real competition Nikita is free to keep loving it up.

This is always a beautiful dream but I can’t think of a single time it’s actually come true. These ultra niche sub-sub-genres always have the two hundred or however much pound gorilla that started the next frantic genre gold rush, usually with deep seated problems and devs seemingly unwilling to unfuck them. None of the followers-on ever actually amount to anything though, they have problems of their own or fundamentally misunderstand why people like the genre in the first place and the OG game trundles on, still a nightmare while all its potential competitors die in the crib.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

these posts look nearly identical to ones about pubg back in the day when it was obvious those devs wouldn't be able to keep their lightning in the bottle

i mean, bsg are definitely more competent than bluehole, but still it's very funny

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Nikita spending a bunch of effort and money to make a Tarkov COD mode to court some e-sports teams that will never touch this jank with a ten foot pole is hilarious.

Finish the loving game!! lmao it'll never leave beta.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Tarkov isn’t in beta any more. What you have now is a complete product. Betas don’t get multiple twitch marketing campaigns and a spin-off game.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Orv posted:

This is always a beautiful dream but I can’t think of a single time it’s actually come true. These ultra niche sub-sub-genres always have the two hundred or however much pound gorilla that started the next frantic genre gold rush, usually with deep seated problems and devs seemingly unwilling to unfuck them. None of the followers-on ever actually amount to anything though, they have problems of their own or fundamentally misunderstand why people like the genre in the first place and the OG game trundles on, still a nightmare while all its potential competitors die in the crib.

path of exile is in a renaissance currently due to D4 finally bringing some competition to the genre, but yeah outside of that idk when it has ever really happened the way you'd hope it would. imo tarkov is way too untouchable in the genre for anything else to really pressure it. you'd need someone able to let an extraction shooter game cook for years probably before it would have a shot at meaningfully competing.

ironically i suspect bsg feels far more threatened by spt and probably cheating as threats to the current game than anything actually external

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
In other news CoD will no longer be updating their DMZ mode, which is a shame because it's free, was constantly getting new content and also the only CoD thing me and my friends have touched in the past 5 years.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
:same:

Literally the only COD thing I've enjoyed since the first MW game back whenever that was. (A long time I think).

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Anyone know if SPTark has any plans to do SPArena? Because that would be :discourse:

tjones
May 13, 2005
lol

im excited for the new wipe. i havent played seriously since the reset before lighthouse was introduced so all the changes that have been made over the past few years are going to make the game feel fresh and new. the recoil and armour changes sound great on paper. hopefully they arent hosed like i figure they will be.

im impressed by some of the ui rework and qol improvements bsg has made recently. im looking forward to actually trying to learn streets as well as the new map additions + a possible shoreline expansion? too. i plan on playing a lot of the new starter map until flea and then plain tarkov until the gear gap gets too great to enjoy customs before resigning to arena in between goofing off with my scav runs.

arena mode is pure icing. round based arena mode with tarkov gunplay on paper sounds dope. heres to hoping they can unfuck the sound, network, and kit balance issues in a timely manner. kill cams are something i never thought bsg would include.

games is still tarkov but overall im glad to see most all of the changes that are being made. not looking forward to inertia as i never played enough to get used to it.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Vaulting added, Armour reworked so its now plates with gaps between them and you cna slot different grades of plate in a carrier, so im thinking the meta is gonna be class 3 in front and 5 on the back to cut down on weight, recoil completely reworked, new kiddy pool map for under lvl 15s only, now if only they can get audio to not be utter turbo dogshit.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Patch notes, and boy it's a long one:
https://forum.escapefromtarkov.com/topic/176591-patch-notes-for-01400/

Orv
May 4, 2011
The armor system is great for solving the problem of Tarkov being an FPSRPG style game where if you don't have the right ammo to kill someone you can gently caress off but man I don't think the game needed another thing you need to finagle between raids.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Updating my site is gonna be a doozy for this one

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm wondering how much of a clusterfuck the first stages of this wipe are going to be, and if it's worth starting up again for versus continuing to poke at other FPSes.

On one hand, I could just keep playing games that are kinda interesting. On the other, if I wait three weeks on this wipe I'll be going into raids against people with class 6 poo poo while I'm trying to knock out Jaeger's base quests.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

I'm wondering how much of a clusterfuck the first stages of this wipe are going to be, and if it's worth starting up again for versus continuing to poke at other FPSes.

On one hand, I could just keep playing games that are kinda interesting. On the other, if I wait three weeks on this wipe I'll be going into raids against people with class 6 poo poo while I'm trying to knock out Jaeger's base quests.
Why three weeks? Wait one and let the poopsockers do their thing. One week on the sideline equals 10 minutes in a bush; the math checks out, we ran the numbers.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Changed the quest objectives for:
The Punisher - Part 2;
The Punisher - Part 4;
The Tarkov Shooter - Part 4.

Do we know what these changes are yet? Cuz this could be what brings me back :negative:

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

je1 healthcare posted:

In other news CoD will no longer be updating their DMZ mode, which is a shame because it's free, was constantly getting new content and also the only CoD thing me and my friends have touched in the past 5 years.

The Halloween event was bananas, too bad zombies isn't pvp.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Finally. An actual pain in the dick.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Raid times have been seriously shortened:
Factory 15 minutes
Customs/Woods 25 minutes
Reserve 27 minutes
Lighthouse/Labs 30 minutes
Interchange/Shoreline 35 minutes
Streets/Ground Zero 50 minutes

Mischievous Mink posted:

It says that in the menu, but if you actually go in a raid the time is longer.

giZm fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 28, 2023

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

rip "just hide in a bush and wait for the shots to die down"

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I still haven't been able to log on to the launcher.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Arrath posted:

rip "just hide in a bush and wait for the shots to die down"
Might have to cut down bush time to 5 minutes or so, we'll see once we actually get to play next week.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Vahakyla posted:

I still haven't been able to log on to the launcher.

Wipe day going according to plan I see.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
New recoil looks neat. Looks like it increases as you spray longer so tapping and bursting are viable and your gun won't be totally out of control unless you blast full auto. That combined with the new armor hitboxes seems like it will reduce ttk by a significant amount. Excited for this wipe.

e: Here's a reddit video showing tap/burst/auto on a stock m4. Looks like rifles with no attachments are way more usable than before.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EscapefromTarkov/comments/18s0ymn/stock_m4_new_semiburst_and_full_auto_recoil/

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Rahu posted:

New recoil looks neat. Looks like it increases as you spray longer so tapping and bursting are viable and your gun won't be totally out of control unless you blast full auto. That combined with the new armor hitboxes seems like it will reduce ttk by a significant amount. Excited for this wipe.

e: Here's a reddit video showing tap/burst/auto on a stock m4. Looks like rifles with no attachments are way more usable than before.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EscapefromTarkov/comments/18s0ymn/stock_m4_new_semiburst_and_full_auto_recoil/

Even in full auto the camera recoil has been lowered, it's much easier to control with your mouse rather than spraying until it levels out.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
I haven't been able to play at all today. Nothing but auth errors.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Someone report on burst fire with say the mp5 (this was a bad idea before)

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

The shortened raid times sound like the opposite of what I want out of the game, I don't get why they'd do that when arena exists for faster paced fighting now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Someone report on burst fire with say the mp5 (this was a bad idea before)

Extremely controllable and that was on the mp5k