Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which 2023 game do you think will win Something Awful’s Game of the Year award?
This poll is closed.
Dead Space 5 5.10%
Metroid Prime 15 15.31%
Resident Evil 4 17 17.35%
Super Mario RPG 37 37.76%
System Shock 24 24.49%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

webmeister posted:

So you're saying you can't throw the book at them?

unfortunately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Runa posted:

scholars have to get in melee range if they want to hit people with the book

for the non-FFXIV players: there was actually a very funny period of time back in ARR where the scholar adjacent DPS class (summoner) could get the mildest of mild DPS gains by melding strength materia, standing next to their target, and autoattack smacking 'em with the sears catalogue combined with their one instacast damage spell

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Volte posted:

I'd rather a new IP based on the same New Vegas team than another Fallout game. It's too bad Outer Worlds was a swing and a miss, because the setting was quite nice. I never understood why the Bethesda-era Fallout setting is so obsessed with eternal grime. It's been over 200 years and everything is still made out of ancient rusted sheet metal and everyone lives with filthy piles of rubble. At least Fallout 2 had signs of rebuilding.

I enjoyed how the epilogue of the post-apocalyptic film The Postman (starring Kevin Costner) was only 20 years after the collapse but apparently they figured out pretty quickly how to get industry back up and running to repair buildings and for everyone to wear factory-made clothes again instead of worn-out scraps. Probably was more realistic than Bethesda's vision of the falloutverse

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Elite: Dangerous is a Han Solo simulator and it suuuuuuucks

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
One of the many mistakes Bethesda made was investing heavily in procedural space stuff even after seeing how negative the reaction to No Man's Sky was. Can you imagine not paying attention for half a decade to one of the most notable reception disasters in the exact genre you're making? Even worse committing so deeply after the procedural quests in Fallout 4 were so negatively received?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I feel like the team was specifically prohibited from looking at or learning from NMS in any way.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I can imagine they were terrified of the reaction being “this is just NMS a few years late” and making sure to scrub anything that resembled it from the project

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Khanstant posted:

I feel like the team was specifically prohibited from looking at or learning from NMS in any way.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I want to play more Jedi Survivor but I don't want to accidentally finish it before 2024 and gently caress up my goty lists

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

been playing outer wilds for the first time and it's been pretty cool. i kinda wish they'd fudged the physics more so that it didn't feel like my spaceship is drunk all the time, but the game might be too dull mechanically if there wasn't that friction

took me forever to figure out what the gently caress was happening on the water planet that kept killing me but drat is that a cool effect once you see what's going on

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Targeting the sun or your nearest planet and holding the match velocity button is a good way to stop so that you can get your bearings. Also don't forget that you have an autopilot.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Looks like Resident Evil 4 Remake will be the final game I beat in 2023. Here's the list of games on Steam I beat in the order I beat them with the exception of the original Dead Space.

I got that for free from EA's Origin in 2014, but never played it until this year.

Streets of Rage 4
Halo Wars: Definitive Edition
Devil May Cry 5
Tales of Symphonia
Company of Heroes 2
Resident Evil Village
Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
Dead Space (2008)
Dead Space Remake
Valkyria Chronicles
Ys I
Dead Space 2
Ys II
Pentiment
Company of Heroes 3
River City Girls
Code Vein
Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition
Deus Ex: Human Revolution: Director's Cut
Nioh
Disgaea PC
Disgaea 2 PC
Chrono Trigger
Yakuza 0
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Disgaea 5
God of War
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut
Resident Evil 4 Remake

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lies of T

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Vermain posted:

king kong was genuinely quite good, but i think the terrible experience with the hobbit pushed him out of directing completely. dude's only made one film after those three wrapped up - a modestly budgeted WW1 documentary - and not a peep since

i guess he technically has a writing and producing credit on mortal engines but i'm still not convinced that film actually exists

He restored the Beatles stuff for Disney+ a couple of years ago.

Propaganda Hour posted:

See, that's fascinating. I guessed that King Kong Kopyright was in some kind of limbo between multiple "part-owners" just due to its age, but you would think that even the most meager owner would have exerted some kind of creative control over the product that resulted in either a better product or a product that never saw the light of day

My favorite Kong copyright story is Universal suing Nintendo over Donkey Kong, the President of Universal telling Nintendo they're going to keep them in court until they're bankrupt, then the judge saying, "You sued about this already to say no one had the copyright over King Kong so you could remake the movie. You owe Nintendo and all the companies you threatened to sue over this a bunch of money."

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I can't decide if Todd Howard actually understands what the games he makes are or not.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Started on Dying Light 2 tonight, and I don't know quite how I feel about this game yet. The parkour & jumping mechanics feel very janky and get in the way a lot of the gameplay.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

I can't decide if Todd Howard actually understands what the games he makes are or not.

I don't think so. His co-writer didn't even play Oblivion until a year ago.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i started playing Vintage Story after reading someone's post about it in the GOTY thread. it sure is a game that is technically not called Minecraft but it is definitely minecraft, just with a whole lot more emphasis on the crafting before you can start mining

i've mainly been wandering around, attempting to avoid the wolves and bears and trying to find clay so i can make bowls and cooking pots and a watering can for my crops. i found a copper pickaxe in a ruin but that feels like cheating cause i'm still a few days of progress away from even thinking about smelting copper myself.

its neat i love this kind of gribbly system i can sink hours into

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you want that sort of minecraft experience in actual minecraft, Terrafirmacraft is a complete overhaul of most of minecraft's systems. You can't even THINK about mining(no stone mining picks) until you've cobbled together enough nuggets of metal to smelt lovely ingots, then have to craft a mold so you can heat the ingot up enough that it melts and pours into the mold of a mining pick head.

It also has temperatures, charcoal is wayyy more complicated to make than you think, you take rocks on the ground and whet them like a caveman to make rudimentary weapons and tools, and caves have physics so mining mindlessly in caves can trigger cave-ins unless you build actual mining supports.

It's really impressive but my world got corrupted and I never went back to it, if it is still being updated I am sure it is wildly more elaborate than like 8 years ago when I tried it. I had crafted a set of armor and metal tools and weapons, and built an actual house. You can't just punch trees in it, so building a for real shelter with torches that don't go out can take quite a while, it was very difficult to survive when I played it. Also food is pretty involved and goes bad over time unless you cure it.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i did some digging and vintage story came out of a minecraft mod around 2016 that mentioned TerraFirmaCraft as it's main inspiration, and yeah it has all that stuff. they quit minecraft cause apparently it was easier to just rebuild it all as a whole new game rather than dealing with their mod api lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh lol well that makes a lot of sense then. neat to see they just said gently caress it and made their own thing.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I've been playing Grounded myself and while I don't like busywork for the sake of busywork there's something to be said about making preparing for an expedition into a dangerous biome or building a fancy house feel like a real undertaking.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So a ton of video essays about just how absolutely poo poo Starfield is have found their way into my youtube feed, and man they're all so great. Just an endless procession of one person after another making point after point about why the game is so bad, each and every drat one being basically spot-on exactly right about it. Listening to them is almost cathartic.

Suck it, Todd.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Link some please

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Making video games is a mistake.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Dabir posted:

Link some please

Here's a good one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zizrI9edOcI

Here's a single person's review that is eight loving hours long about just how much the game sucks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UOhCjB0AEI

Some people hate this game so much, and have found so much to hate about it, that they are willing to put together a single negative review that almost competes in runtime with the Lord of the Rings Extended Edition trilogy.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 28, 2023

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

haveblue posted:

Lies of T

In Todd's defense, the motto is 'Lie or Die'

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Khanstant posted:

Reminds me of when Arkane made two time loop games and forbade the creative teams on the second project from looking at or learning anything from the first project.

Then they followed it up by making Redfall, what a fall from grace.

In terms of notable flops this year, some that weren't mentioned yet:

Forspoken
Payday 3
Cities Skylines 2
Overwatch 2

and arguably Atomic Hearts.

SirSamVimes posted:

I've been playing Grounded myself and while I don't like busywork for the sake of busywork there's something to be said about making preparing for an expedition into a dangerous biome or building a fancy house feel like a real undertaking.

I had a group of people so goddamn psyched to play grounded after having tons of fun with it early in EA, and that lasted all of four play sessions before we all agreed to never touch the game again. There's such a good game under there, and I genuinely do not understand why they made it so un-enjoyable to play. Maybe we were just playing it completely "wrong", or weren't "good enough", but goddamn was the actual moment to moment gameplay frequently frustrating in unfun ways.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 28, 2023

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

Here's a good one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zizrI9edOcI

Here's a single person's review that is eight loving hours long about just how much the game sucks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UOhCjB0AEI

Some people hate this game so much, and have found so much to hate about it, that they are willing to put together a single negative review that almost competes in runtime with the Lord of the Rings Extended Edition trilogy.

No thanks man. You're far too excited about this and it's fuckin weird.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

In terms of notable flops this year, some that weren't mentioned yet:

Forspoken
Payday 3
Cities Skylines 2
Overwatch 2

At least Forspoken was actually really good. Payday 3, and Skylines 2 released unfinished though, and Overwatch was ruined by Blizzard just not paying attention to their playerbase and addressing concerns they had, but instead going in the complete opposite direction on balance and gameplay changes.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The "unfinished" bits were not what caused Payday and Cities to flop though, it was the stuff that was finished being terrible and lots of mindbogglingly bad design decisions that sunk them.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Eh, Patrician didn't make the video because he hates Starfield, he made the video because his Skyrim videos did really well. Hating Starfield is because he spent so much time playing it to make the video.

Most people that don't like Starfield will play it for a few hours then never touch it again.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Reminds me of when Arkane made two time loop games and forbade the creative teams on the second project from looking at or learning anything from the first project.

Lol even though I ended up enjoying the game a lot, probably the only game where some rando online can shoot you I'd ever recommend to someone else, but it was also so so held back by the team refusing to learn what the others in their company already had. I feel like if they had just loving played Prey and Mooncrash it would've gone from a cute little railroaded game with braindead AI to actually living up to its premise and having multiple ways to solve the game or loops.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Strawberry Panda posted:

Eh, Patrician didn't make the video because he hates Starfield, he made the video because his Skyrim videos did really well. Hating Starfield is because he spent so much time playing it to make the video.

Most people that don't like Starfield will play it for a few hours then never touch it again.

patrician specifically has an axe to grind as a big morrowind enjoyer who's had to watch bethesda slip more and more into senility, so the fact that he gets to spend 8 hours roasting emil and the boys and gets paid for doing so is an easy sell to him

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

mutata posted:

No thanks man. You're far too excited about this and it's fuckin weird.

Oh right, I forgot that it's not cool to like things or to have a good time watching interesting stuff happen in business or public opinion in areas I care about. Sorry about that I'll try to resume my duties being a despondent anhedonic goon about everything.

Or maybe I just like that there's finally a marked shift in public opinion about Bethesda and their bullshit that matches my own opinions about the company that I've had about them for the last 15 years, and it's nice. Sue me.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 28, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

🙄

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

i haven't played starfield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

Oh right, I forgot that it's not cool to like things or to have a good time watching interesting stuff happen in business or public opinion in areas I care about. Sorry about that I'll try to resume my duties being a despondent anhedonic goon about everything.

Or maybe I just like that there's finally a marked shift in public opinion about Bethesda and their bullshit that matches my own opinions about the company that I've had about them for the last 15 years and it makes me feel like my own opinions are more justified because of it. Sue me.

I honestly think you need therapy. It's good, it helps.