Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Halloween Jack posted:

Jon Peterson's Playing at the World gets into the deep history and theory of the medium. Warning: you may learn more about Kriegsspiel than you ever wanted to know.

ohhyeah posted:

Woof this one must be out of print because it starts at $259 used on Amazon. I’ll start with his blog though thanks!

For those of you who may be interested, MIT Press has announced a second edition of Playing at the World, with the first volume due out in August.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

They had to update the caption after a penguin complained.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

theironjef posted:

I've actually been out in a big collection of them (used to work at Sea World) and they have the threat level of a sleepy toddler. Even the big ones can't do much more than gently prod you slightly. Most of them you can just pick up and move around like a lightly chirping football.

"Threat level of a sleepy toddler" and "lightly chirping football" are two of the best phrases I've ever read on SA.

Homeland security should update their charts.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Penguins are adorable little formalwear bowling pins come to life and only a weirdo would think they're scary. Now to calmly sip this scalding hot coffee while I look up pictures of penguins yawning, which I assume is as heartmelting as it sounds

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Tendales posted:

Penguins are adorable little formalwear bowling pins come to life and only a weirdo would think they're scary. Now to calmly sip this scalding hot coffee while I look up pictures of penguins yawning, which I assume is as heartmelting as it sounds

Well now... just don't look directly down their throats. Their mouths are lined all over with needle sharp backward pointed spines so that fish can't just wriggle out of there. They can't bite with them though, they're for holding a fish in place while gulping, so this doesn't really change their general absolute lack of danger to people.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

i am never going to be able to pick up a penguin and hug him and my life is so much worse for it

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

theironjef posted:

Well now... just don't look directly down their throats. Their mouths are lined all over with needle sharp backward pointed spines so that fish can't just wriggle out of there. They can't bite with them though, they're for holding a fish in place while gulping, so this doesn't really change their general absolute lack of danger to people.

Unless you get your hand down their throat for whatever reason?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I feel like at that point it's really more on you, right? Though honestly I don't know how rigid those spine things are. I've spent maybe three hours of my life out on the fake ice with penguins in San Diego (I was a tour guide, I didn't actually work in the penguin area, I just specialized in private and celebrity tours so I got a lot of backstage access), and I never really felt the urge to cram my arm into one.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

I'm not here to judge penguin related incidents, but if you need to assist a penguin because it ate something it shouldn't and you need to reach down it's guller and yank out a foreign object, much like when a dog is about to cost you a lot in vet bills, I figure those toothy things aren't helping.

But I'm guessing that's not a common occurrence. I'm no penguins scientist, I don't know how rambunctious they can get.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Look I just want my fish back is that too much to ask?

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Tendales posted:

A little wordy, how about just "Excuse Me That Fish Is Mine"

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Tendales posted:

https://i.imgur.com/eJXr6Xf.mp4

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still think there's something in how Shoggoths and G1 Cybertronians basically have the same backstory.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still think there's something in how Shoggoths and G1 Cybertronians basically have the same backstory.

I’m so Transformers UK-pilled this initially looked like nonsense to me, until I remembered the actual G1 cartoon lore.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mountains of Madness but the mountains are actually an ancient cybertronian crash site.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Mountains of Megatron

Starscream over Innsmouth

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm just picturing Optimus Prime treating the Shoggoths like long-lost brothers from another abusive precursor, much to the bewilderment of the token human observers.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm just picturing Optimus Prime treating the Shoggoths like long-lost brothers from another abusive precursor, much to the bewilderment of the token human observers.
Awww :3:

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Ravus Ursus posted:

Mountains of Megatron

Starscream over Innsmouth

ME GRIMLOCK, KING IN YELLOW!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The Rattrap in the Walls
The Music of Ford Kinder
The Hasbro Out of Time

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Now I want M.A.S.K. of Nyarlathotep.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The Hound of Tindalos

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Tendales posted:

It’s all cozy and adorable, until they shoot their poop at you from a meter away.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LatwPIAT posted:

It’s all cozy and adorable, until they shoot their poop at you from a meter away.
:kimchi: You think I'm adorable?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Tendales posted:

H.P. Lovecraft's Hey! That's My Fish!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

LatwPIAT posted:

At the New England Aquarium I watched a feeding where the keeper got in the water (about waist deep) and was handing out small fish to the penguins that swam up to them. The speaker pointed out that the penguins need different types of fish to get the right nutrition mix, and that particular day the fish they were being fed was not their favorite. They were expressing displeasure at this by swimming directly at the feeder as fast as they could, swerving at the last minute to barely avoid hitting them in the crotch, hip, or butt.

Little bastards were going on strafing runs to bully the keeper into handing out the tasty fish. Adorable and hilarious.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

theironjef posted:

I feel like looking directly down the throat of basically anything is a bit unnerving.

Unless you're one of those people who get turned on by it, of course.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

I feel like looking directly down the throat of basically anything is a bit unnerving.

Unless you're one of those people who get turned on by it, of course.

:nms:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxXbcH_qMSc

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
All birds are terrifying

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Was going to post this! Very exciting, though I guess there might be a further wait for the second volume...

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Froghammer posted:

All birds are terrifying

Pelicans are the goofiest murder birds and I love them so much.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

This unhinged, transphobic emails and its retraction are the first thing that happened to me in 2024. They're from the Kamagaraki kickstarter. What the hell is going on?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
edit: nvm

Leraika fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 1, 2024

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Well, that's pretty much par for the course as far as Kamigakari goes. I am so glad I didn't back it and don't have to make a decision about who's more credible here.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Rand Brittain posted:

Well, that's pretty much par for the course as far as Kamigakari goes. I am so glad I didn't back it and don't have to make a decision about who's more credible here.

I think a really good rule of thumb is that anyone who says "you should go on kiwifarms and punish this person like a dog" is someone with negative levels of credibility.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
actually that's a bit too flippant, because I definitely agree with Kai.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Kai Tave posted:

I think a really good rule of thumb is that anyone who says "you should go on kiwifarms and punish this person like a dog" is someone with negative levels of credibility.

You know what? You're right. I was going to say something flippant about Veeres' level of credibility, but at the end of the day, one thing involves a serious risk of targeted harassment and the other thing is elfgames, so that was lovely of me.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Jesus, I thought they'd released the book and it was done. I guess good for Amy that she's still plugging away at the stretch goals and whatever else, if it is indeed good for her, which I doubt.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
That kickstarter was weird. I remember at one point kickstarter emailed me saying they were responding to my request for a refund on it and I went "I never requested a refund..." and then a couple hours later they were like "Oh yeah, disregard that." and then I got my backer rewards.

????????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

I backed Kamigakari and everything went wrong and every single kickstarter update was basically an admission that things were not OK, but ultimately I received the book and I have everything I need to run a game of Kamigakari, which is more than I can say for Shinobigami or several other games I backed years ago. There's a huge amount of drama surrounding the game but, it's out and playable.

Reading the email that was sent for update #80 is extremely embarassing because by their own admission it was written by an adult. someone over 30 years old. Imagine being 33 years old and begging a mailing list to go on kiwi farms to help you harass someone. I'd log off forever.