Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Louisgod posted:

Cool thanks for the honest reply. I generally don't mind old school JRPGs but was hoping for an, I don't know, more unique experience? I'm going to give it a bit more time and see if it sinks its teeth into me.

Yeah I think it's worthwhile to give it at least a little longer. The start of the game is pretty long winded. Breaking the game in fun ways with item creation was the big draw in the original and is an even bigger focus in the remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah. They're a business, why would they care? lol.

Because it makes them look like trash? And they can probably survive just as healthily without it?

I don't know. Either way got my kids a Switch for Christmas and they cared about it for like 2 seconds and are back to the Xbox with GamePass and their tablets. Womp womp.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BonoMan posted:

What's the real reason Nintendo doesn't do anything to clean up their store? Just pure money?

The 3DS store had all kinds of awful shovelware and felt like the iOS or Android app store too. I don't have an answer, just an observation that it's been like that for a while.

I can say from browsing the eShop to find Dragon Quest demos or something that kids can't differentiate between shovelware and real games.

Hell, the Game Boy and GBA had a ton of awful shovelware too, I don't remember there being such bullshit on the big home consoles of the time.

Speaking of, how is DQ Treasures?

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 28, 2023

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

It also bloats the poo poo out of the eshop and directly contributes to me buying less games digitally

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I'm kinda surprised they never at least made the eshop not run like pure rear end

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Seems like some folks've forgotten: Wintendo

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Twerk from Home posted:

The 3DS store had all kinds of awful shovelware and felt like the iOS or Android app store too. I don't have an answer, just an observation that it's been like that for a while.

I can say from browsing the eShop to find Dragon Quest demos or something that kids can't differentiate between shovelware and real games.

Hell, the Game Boy and GBA had a ton of awful shovelware too, I don't remember there being such bullshit on the big home consoles of the time.

Speaking of, how is DQ Treasures?

Years ago there was a series of post about the shittiest and most bizarre 3DS eShop trash. I remember this awful looking fairy game?
https://youtu.be/8dt3OYPXaEo?si=9blg_IQm9cS6sZB6
That said I feel like the horniness is new. Maybe they were just too afraid to try but then it turned out Nintendo doesn't really care if you title your game Sexy Hentai Bobs so now all bets are off.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

BonoMan posted:

What's the real reason Nintendo doesn't do anything to clean up their store? Just pure money?

They do seem to steer you towards the big stuff though, unless you're just casually looking at everything.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I guess that's the consequence of them wanting it so light that it can run at the same time as a game. So it takes forever to load in and out items.

I don't know dudes. Could you move some of your game ram to vram or something while someone is in the eShop? Or load up the common most elements in the background on days the shop updates so it's already on the system?

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 28, 2023

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I know there’s a search function and a wishlist and dekudeals and all that poo poo but the store interface is hot garbage when it comes to browsing and it doesn’t run great either.

Honestly no console’s digital storefront is exactly awesome, but the eshop in particular is like sifting through a stream of vomit

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I'd prefer fewer infinite scroll storefronts.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BonoMan posted:

got my kids a Switch for Christmas and they cared about it for like 2 seconds and are back to the Xbox with GamePass and their tablets. Womp womp.

owned lol

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

how about loving pages

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I do like just flat out chronological order no algorithm on the main list cause gently caress recommendations. But it loads like poo poo. And so much shovelware. Just ban the shovelware. Nobody needs a new AAA Clock once a loving week

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Nook doesn't force you to owe him anything in the games anymore. He tells you all prices up front and only does the work if you approve. You can save up the money first if you want.

Also these are zero interest pay at your own rate loans. He's more ethical than any lender in real life.

Exactly.

"Oh man, you have to pay for your house? What a crook he is!" :rolleyes:

Nook is good.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

man nurse posted:

I know there’s a search function and a wishlist and dekudeals and all that poo poo but the store interface is hot garbage when it comes to browsing and it doesn’t run great either.

Honestly no console’s digital storefront is exactly awesome, but the eshop in particular is like sifting through a stream of vomit

It's a lot easier to just use the website, especially because of the above.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

No matter how many times I’ve used the web store on my phone to buy/download a game and have it be ready by the time I got home, I still think it’s awesome that that’s a thing now

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the relatively relaxed certification process is why the switch has been a go-to system for Indie devs and has made Nintendo a ton of money, not really much incentive for them to change that.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

The Maroon Hawk posted:

No matter how many times I’ve used the web store on my phone to buy/download a game and have it be ready by the time I got home, I still think it’s awesome that that’s a thing now

:yeah:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

I'm secretly ok with it cuz now I get to play it. I had one a while back and did Mario and BOTW now I'm doing TotK and Super Mario Sunshine and Galaxy which I had never played!

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Meowywitch posted:

It also bloats the poo poo out of the eshop and directly contributes to me buying less games digitally

same. I'm not fully conditioned against opening the shop, but every time I open it, I browse a page or so and realize it's trash and close the shop. Would be nice to see good games that I maybe didn't buy from earlier on in the switch's lifespan without just a ton of bloat in the way. oh well

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
It helps to only look at the games with demos screen

Then just use dekudeals for everything else

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

BonoMan posted:

I'm secretly ok with it cuz now I get to play it. I had one a while back and did Mario and BOTW now I'm doing TotK and Super Mario Sunshine and Galaxy which I had never played!

An insanely solid lineup of games :hmmyes:

I loved Sunshine on the GameCube but it was astounding how much more visually appealing it was in 16:9 in 3d All-Stars, it felt like a whole new game

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Augus posted:

the relatively relaxed certification process is why the switch has been a go-to system for Indie devs and has made Nintendo a ton of money, not really much incentive for them to change that.

This reminds me of this pure and delightful tweet
https://twitter.com/SeanYoungSG/status/1365035782466109451?t=8147Qtne2_G4fS2phgkdPw&s=19

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The Maroon Hawk posted:

An insanely solid lineup of games :hmmyes:

I loved Sunshine on the GameCube but it was astounding how much more visually appealing it was in 16:9 in 3d All-Stars, it felt like a whole new game

I never played Sunshine or Galaxy because my GameCube got stolen shortly after I bought it (right after it was released) and I never got another one. And I never owned a Wii.

Sunshine is great so far. It sort of hits the nostalgia point I expected Mario 64 to hit even though I never played it. Almost because it feels like 64 did when I originally played it? (Versus now where it feels *too* dated... But still fun).

Galaxy is making me nauseous with the stilted controls and camera.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 28, 2023

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

On my replay when 3D All-Stars came out I was surprised at how enjoyable most of Sunshine was. In contrast, Galaxy was very beautiful but I found it a little too frictionless, like I was just being funneled toward the goal every time. Got bored and couldn't get through it. I'd gotten 120 stars at least twice before though so maybe it was just being too familiar with the game.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I'm glad that 3d all stars, in spite of its absolutely bonkers release strategy, has finally taught a generation of gamers that Sunshine is far better than Galaxy

(admittedly I never played either galaxy so I don't have a nostalgia boost, but it feels really awkward to me and I don't care for the planet setup)

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

woke kaczynski posted:

I'm glad that 3d all stars, in spite of its absolutely bonkers release strategy, has finally taught a generation of gamers that Sunshine is far better than Galaxy

lol

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Honestly both are good though

The packless levels are some of my favorite Mario memories

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sunshine is good if you only do the main required content to beat the game and avoid the optional and side content. All the really terrible and annoying stuff is optional.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

What in the gently caress

Sunshine was great but Galaxy…that game was next level. The soundtrack alone was lightning in a bottle, the best game soundtrack I’ve ever heard to this day

It’s a better game than Odyssey. There, I said it :colbert:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

woke kaczynski posted:

I'm going to kill you.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

woke kaczynski posted:

(admittedly I never played either galaxy so I don't have a nostalgia boost, but it feels really awkward to me and I don't care for the planet setup)

gently caress you

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
That's what they said to Jesus too

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

BonoMan posted:

Because it makes them look like trash? And they can probably survive just as healthily without it?

I don't know. Either way got my kids a Switch for Christmas and they cared about it for like 2 seconds and are back to the Xbox with GamePass and their tablets. Womp womp.

If it makes you feel any better my kids got 4 games this Christmas. Kirby return to dreamland, yu-gi-oh, advance wars reboot camp, and five nights help wanted. 3 out of the 4 they had specifically asked for… 10 seconds and they put them down not to be picked back up since. They went back to Pokemon scarlet and violet which they got last year and played for a couple of days before shelving. Now they’re super into it. Kids are difficult to figure out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
People are like that. I've gotten into games I bought years ago and never picked up or only briefly. You don't necessarily have that sense of urgency with everything.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

woke kaczynski posted:

Lazy bait. Post better.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
Got my kid mario wonder for xmas. Shes having so much fun two player. Its classic mario style. Shes only seven and prefers to play yoshi but she sweats bullets on the boss fights.

Odessy was her first mario game and she beat all levels by herself except the boss fights. Winder is much harder for her so its a good step up.

If youve been on the fence getting it for a young one just buy it. It rules.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Louisgod posted:

Cool thanks for the honest reply. I generally don't mind old school JRPGs but was hoping for an, I don't know, more unique experience? I'm going to give it a bit more time and see if it sinks its teeth into me.

For me, the unique experience was playing a game with weird rendered backgrounds, weird music and lots and lots of weird character development. Plus, insane VA and bosses that eventually will have millions of HP, move at lightning speed, and will crush your party over and over and over :v:

It's not a bad game, but it is an acquired taste. Sometimes you just don't like what others like, it's OK. I don't really click with most modern Mario games, despite them being really good. It happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I haven’t gotten far in Super Mario RPG (I just got to the sewers) but oh my goodness is it delicious. Just an absolute gem.