Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

OwlFancier posted:

When I was last in hospital I had very nice egg sandwiches. Time before that I had liver and onions, which I might be the only person my age in the UK who actually likes that.

Lol, I got concussed once when I lived in England. My then girlfriend now wife rang my phone as I had gone radio silent. I answered it in hospital while my brains were still scrambled and apparently all I could talk about were how they gave me sandwiches and how good they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I was once in a similar state about airline food, an extreme lack of sleep was my concussion.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

OwlFancier posted:

When I was last in hospital I had very nice egg sandwiches. Time before that I had liver and onions, which I might be the only person my age in the UK who actually likes that.

Which is more popular, liver and onions, or jellied eels?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

maybeadracula posted:

She's a complete nutter but given the world we live in, hot dogs and spam are probably more ethical calories than almonds or many factory farmed vegetables, depending on your metrics

The only ethical consumption under capitalism is to consume the capitalists.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I can make a very rich bourgeoisie bourguignon!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

First of May posted:

Which is more popular, liver and onions, or jellied eels?

Jellied eels is only a london thing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
When I still ate meat, I loved liver and onion. I liked it better than pretty much and "real" meat.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Getting a steak and kidney pie in a kidney dish after a kidney procedure

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"I've got an idea for a savoury pie. I'm going to put steak in it."

"Oh that sounds great!"

"Probably needs something else though."

"Yeah, you're right. Maybe onions or ..."

"Kidneys!"

"..."

"Yup, that's the ticket! Kidneys."

"...Really? Are you serious right now"

"Perfect! Now to sell these bad boys, that high-and-mighty Mrs. Lovett won't know what hit her"

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Data Graham posted:

"Oh that sounds great!"

"Kidneys!"

"..."

"Perfect! Now to sell these bad boys, that high-and-mighty Mrs. Lovett won't know what hit her"

They were gonna make a steak and ale pie, but drank the ale already. Figured they could catch it on the way.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Just The Foreskins (King David approved!).

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Mr. T approved

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

These are what Grimes would call vegan cherries.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
lol at having a literal Menace as your mascot for your food abomination

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

They look like the dog's bollocks to me

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Data Graham posted:

"Oh that sounds great!"

"Kidneys!"

"..."

In all seriousness, a good steak and kidney pie slaps.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

As many parts of the animal should be eaten as possible. Like it's silly when people don't like kidney or liver or whatever. Unless you are a pissy cry baby.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you aren't a pissy cry baby then eating kidney can fix at least one of those.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Your flavor preferences, something you cannot choose, are silly.

:sniff::fart:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I didn't choose to be a picky eater, the crucible of the world forged me into one

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

lobsterminator posted:

As many parts of the animal should be eaten as possible. Like it's silly when people don't like kidney or liver or whatever. Unless you are a pissy cry baby.

It's me, the pissy cry baby

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

maybeadracula posted:

Your flavor preferences, something you cannot choose, are silly.

:sniff::fart:

Remember your first taste of beer? The whole concept of 'acquired tastes' is based on learning to like flavours. I couldn't stand blue cheese when I was younger, I love it now.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Butterfly Valley posted:

Remember your first taste of beer? The whole concept of 'acquired tastes' is based on learning to like flavours. I couldn't stand blue cheese when I was younger, I love it now.

I hate beer actually, but even if you acquire a taste like that, it's still not a choice directly to just like it, it's a pressure you or someone else put on you over a long period of time

I obviously like tons more things than I did when I was a kid but not just because I decided to like them, and almost never because I suffered through something until I did*. Taste preferences change over time for many reasons, most of which are not fully understood and you're just telling yourself a story about it where you did something to earn it

*I did this with switching to skim milk decades ago which I now prefer but I also don't drink milk much anyway

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

My biggest experiment along those lines was trying to cut down my caffeine consumption by quitting coffee for a month, and trying to learn to like tea by trying some version of it every day. Nope, didn't work, I honestly wanted it to but I still just hate tea.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

I still just hate tea.

:hmmyes:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

maybeadracula posted:

I hate beer actually, but even if you acquire a taste like that, it's still not a choice directly to just like it, it's a pressure you or someone else put on you over a long period of time

I obviously like tons more things than I did when I was a kid but not just because I decided to like them, and almost never because I suffered through something until I did*. Taste preferences change over time for many reasons, most of which are not fully understood and you're just telling yourself a story about it where you did something to earn it

So we can't choose taste preferences, except we can but it takes a long time, but we can't and they change for other reasons and you know me better than I do so I'm full of poo poo when I say I've taught myself to like something?

I think the issue is there's many different reasons people like or dislike foods and flavour is only one small aspect of that. Texture, appearance, smell, cultural bias etc all contribute, so even if someone just says they don't like the taste it could be one of many reasons, and it is absolutely possible to get over many of those.

Blue cheese was just one example but I grew up vegetarian because of my family and then started eating meat in my twenties, and a lot of it revulsed me at first. Tuna tasted like I imagined cat food would because that was my only exposure to it before, a lot of seafood and shellfish was intimating to me because of the visceral nature of it, etc etc. I could have very easily stopped after trying those things once or twice and said I didn't like the taste but I kept coming back to them and learned to enjoy them.

I'm not saying thats possible with everyone and every food - I've tried liver a bunch of ways and preparations and it just doesn't do it for me - but it's definitely possible, and a lot of our 'flavour' preferences are more to do with exposure, upbringing and what our society considers normal.

Captain Hygiene posted:

My biggest experiment along those lines was trying to cut down my caffeine consumption by quitting coffee for a month, and trying to learn to like tea by trying some version of it every day. Nope, didn't work, I honestly wanted it to but I still just hate tea.

I did the reverse with coffee. Hated it, thought it was bitter and awful, worked in a coffee shop as a barista where my boss made me drink any coffee I hosed up, learned to love it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I like to re-try foods every once in a while to see if my tastes changed, I've picked up some things I hated as a kid. There are other things I still hate, and that's okay. As long as you're not being weird and living a Tendies Only lifestyle it's fine to have foods you don't like.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

living a Tendies Only lifestyle it's fine to have foods you don't like.

This is also a good point - people who had poo poo upbringings only eating junk food and white bread etc will absolutely tell you that all vegetables taste horrible, but they can teach themselves to like them.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Acclimating to something is different than just choosing to change your properties. This is not a complex or confusing claim.

Nobody said you can't "learn to like" or acquire some tastes, sometimes. But why would you want to, generally speaking? Unless you're a nuggies only person you can probably get ample nutrition a million ways without torturing yourself eating poo poo you hate.

But everyone I know also just started liking poo poo at some point, with no forcing. Brains are weird

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
https://i.imgur.com/8oHuGP6.mp4

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Grand Fromage posted:

I like to re-try foods every once in a while to see if my tastes changed, I've picked up some things I hated as a kid. There are other things I still hate, and that's okay. As long as you're not being weird and living a Tendies Only lifestyle it's fine to have foods you don't like.

Sometimes you also just get unlucky tasting something for the first time. You might have had someone who didn't know how to cook it properly, or you might, yourself, not really have had it figured out.

Case in point: I spent like 20 years thinking I hated potatoes because so many people in my family are terrible in a kitchen.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

maybeadracula posted:

But why would you want to, generally speaking?

Because there's so many interesting things out there they I haven't experienced yet and if some people like them then there must be some value in them. And like I said I was vegetarian so there were a huge chunk of things I'd never eaten or cooked but was interested to try, even if it meant powering through some poo poo that was unpleasant at first. And I've spent a lot of time travelling and living in countries where it's rude to refuse food or drink you're offered so it's better just to learn to like it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

PurpleXVI posted:

Sometimes you also just get unlucky tasting something for the first time. You might have had someone who didn't know how to cook it properly, or you might, yourself, not really have had it figured out.

Case in point: I spent like 20 years thinking I hated potatoes because so many people in my family are terrible in a kitchen.

Mushrooms were a big revelation for me. Those white button things in the US are trash, I still hate them, but then I discovered the wide world of wonderful Asian mushrooms and learned there are so many good ones.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Some people like putting nails in their dick, that doesn't mean everyone else should give it a try once.

For less hyperboly: it's loving food. Who cares if someone doesn't want to chow down directly on organ meat? It's not a drat character to have food preferences. You don't magically become a better person because you'll taste literally anything someone puts on a plate for you.

This kind of conversation comes up like once a year in this thread. People are allowed to have preferences. Get over yourself.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I definitely think people should try all the things and I don't have any issue with people suffering through garbage they don't like if they choose to

It's just exhausting seeing people who like most things acting like they're morally superior to people who don't, rather than just lucky. Nobody WANTS to be picky

I'm not a particularly picky eater myself but there are things I don't like and I'm certainly not going to repeatedly ruin my meals by adding those things on the chance I may genuinely like them someday. I can obviously eat them if it would be rude not to, but that's a pretty rare occurrence in most people's lives I think

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Schubalts posted:

People are allowed to have preferences. Get over yourself.

No-one said they weren't, I just disagreed with the idea that food preferences are immutable.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Butterfly Valley posted:

No-one said they weren't, I just disagreed with the idea that food preferences are immutable.

A claim nobody was making

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

You literally said we can't choose our flavour preferences and when I gave you personal examples you said I was just making up stories to feel better about myself.