Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

This owns.

Man, as much as I would like to see hockey grow, I don't see this panning out.
The Atlanta Flames last from 1972 to 1980. The Thrashers lasted from 1999 to 2011.

I'd love to see a team in Milwaukee, but the Fiserv Forum only holds 15,178 for hockey, which would make it the smallest NHL rink (WPG holds 15,294). It wouldn't even be the biggest rink in Wisconsin, the UW's Kohl Center holds 15,237.

Quebec City seems like a safer bet. Videotron Centre holds 18,259.

deoju fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Doesnt Arizona's rink only hold like 5500?

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

I don’t think the point is a safe bet. They want new markets, not “more” Canadians (since there are comparatively few of us and I’m not sure there’s a whole new crop of fans waiting to be reached). They’re not coming back to Quebec City.

Furnaceface posted:

Doesnt Arizona's rink only hold like 5500?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

BRING BACK THE WHALERS

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Doesnt Hartford have a pretty successful AHL team in the Wolf Pack?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Gary’s gonna push for it to be 4 southern cities: Atlanta, Houston, Albuquerque, and a second team in Arizona because that was the missing piece.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

If they are dead set on southern expansion give me Mexico City dammit.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Genuinely funny that Houston is a massive untapped market, with an NHL ready arena already in place, plenty of hockey history, already a healthy market, good sports city, etc, but no one wants to play ball with Fertitta lol

Completely fuckin stupid

E: to be clear, I'm actually rooting for Atlanta to work, I want to believe it can

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Put a team in Hamilton so we can all laugh when they go from expansion team to cup winner in 2 years

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Put a team in Hamilton so we can all laugh when they go from expansion team to cup winner in 2 years

$1B expansion fee, but the owners will demand that they must get their choice of five top scorers off other teams as part of the expansion draft.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
$250M expansion fee, but the other teams get to pick which player they give to the new team

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
the Jazz owner is probably getting a team one way or another in Salt Lake City

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
Dah Raynjers baybee

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

lol we just lost our OHL team after 2 championships in 6 seasons here. The Bulldogs are drawing almost the same attendance despite being a fraction of the population. This city doesn't deserve anything close to the NHL.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Because they needed to reno the rink? gently caress that, bring NHL hockey to the hammer. As long as the rim creep isn't involved.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Levitate posted:

Dah Raynjers baybee

Love ‘em

I hope Trouba isnt out long, but im guessing he got concussed. Baby Trouba stepped up bigtime and holy poo poo Key went off tonight.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Kris Letang with 6 assists and set a record for defensemen with 5 in one period. Pretty good for an old man.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

I'm rather surprised somebody like Coffey or Orr didn't ever do that.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
rangers stop winning nucks need to stay in first

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
i like the rangers tho so it's all good bros. :cheerdoge:

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
For the Hamilton entry draft you can only protect one good Ontario boy.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1740228338323783855

Hell yes, Yotes, getcha some.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

And the Coyotes win in Overtime. GG Avs

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

looks like there's no world juniors thread this year, so I'm just going to say here that I was very surprised to see Germany beat Finland. German hockey seems to get better and better every year, and there are more Germans than ever in the NHL it feels like, but Finland is still Finland. Pretty neat.

Yeah, I don't follow international hockey that closely, so I always assume Germany is one of those teams that never have a shot. A step above Latvia, but ways away from Finland/Sweden. They played well, though!

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Twin Cinema posted:

Yeah, I don't follow international hockey that closely, so I always assume Germany is one of those teams that never have a shot. A step above Latvia, but ways away from Finland/Sweden. They played well, though!

I think that there’s still the big 4 of USA, Canada, Sweden, and Finland (5 if you count Russia), but that Germany is now in the mix right under them and could steal a medal if things go right. I’d put them behind Czechia, probably equal to Slovakia, and ahead of the Swiss.

They don’t have the NHL depth of Czechia or Slovakia, but their top end talent is probably better than either of those teams, outside of Pastrnak.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Simplex posted:

And the Coyotes win in Overtime. GG Avs

Lets see what Devon Towes has to say about this one!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
NHL team in Hawaii

gently caress jet lag let's get stupid

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

kill me now posted:

Lets see what Devon Towes has to say about this one!

good news

https://twitter.com/guerillasports_/status/1740239154200657969

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Dear Terry. Please fire Kevyn Adams and Don Granato.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Shinjobi posted:

NHL team in Hawaii

gently caress jet lag let's get stupid

I think they should play hockey where they have natural ice and proper winters. Let's go Alaska!!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

I think they should play hockey where they have natural ice and proper winters. Let's go Alaska!!

Didn’t you see Mystery, Alaska? They tried playing there and got beat by a team of amateurs.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
there's really no difference between the 1995 Detroit Red Wings in the Stanley Cup Finals and the Blue Jackets in December

https://twitter.com/MarkFischerNY/status/1740214074884215208

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

bub spank posted:

They don’t have the NHL depth of Czechia or Slovakia, but their top end talent is probably better than either of those teams, outside of Pastrnak.

Even there, Leon is at least equal to Pasta.

Leon/Stutzle 1-2 up the middle would be what? 3 behind McDavid/McKinnon and Matthews/Eichel?

They've got no depth after that but those 2 plus Seider is a good start.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Madkal posted:

If the NHL is comfortable with intruding on sacred native land*, Mauna Kea has snow from October to April above 11,000 feet!

* 🙃

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

triple sulk posted:

BRING BACK THE WHALERS

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Twin Cinema posted:

In the WJC Germany used to be one of the D1.5 teams that would always be promoted or relegated. Nice to see their program getting stronger.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nybble posted:

If the NHL is comfortable with intruding on sacred native land*, Mauna Kea has snow from October to April above 11,000 feet!

* 🙃

Our rink on native land

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Stuart Skinners nickname is

Skindaddy

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
World Juniors talk:

Glad to see my ancestral homeland kicking rear end in group B.

Canada Sweden game is fun so far, and I think the Swedes are the slightly stronger team this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Canada - Sweden is great, would be better if Canada were winning!!! :ohdear: