Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Changed my oil last weekend. I don't have a fancy bike stand or anything but I do have a set of jack stands that fit perfectly under the swingarm spools with a little rocking. Old oil looked fine but I'm doing lots of short trips now (work commute) so I don't want to take any chances.

I think I might be getting a flat spot on my rear tire so might need to find something a little more tuned to lots of straight pavement riding. Michelin Road 6 maybe? Good wet handling is crucial in my neck of the woods.

bizwank fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

bizwank posted:

Good wet handling is crucial in my neck of the woods.

Then yep, you want the Road 6.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Installed some engine case covers. Surprisingly painless to do:

Also I recommend getting one of these cheap rechargeable magnetic lights

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I prefer cursing in the dark, thank you

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

T Zero posted:

Installed some engine case covers. Surprisingly painless to do

Nice! Ive crashed these a number of times and they held up great. never even bothered replacing them after some minor rashes.

On the other side for the stator cover. I have the much chunkier WoodCraft one with the replaceable skid plates

Our race regs require these things so we dont oil down the track during minor crashes.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Having it be dark helps with the thread title.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I just got this on clearance, my first head lamp:

https://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/aaron%27s_garage/tools/nebo/transcend_head_lamp.html

USB charge, 18650 battery, magnetic rear end end

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I think I need to try one of those, there's no electricity by my bikes and my only quick options are a blinding omnidirectional lantern and a big rear end maglite.

E-P
Apr 21, 2016

Remy Marathe posted:

I think I need to try one of those, there's no electricity by my bikes and my only quick options are a blinding omnidirectional lantern and a big rear end maglite.

https://www.sofirnlight.com/collections/headlamps?spm=..index.header_1.1

Recomend these. I have the HS10 headlamp and its pretty great, and the IF22A. All at a good price point.

They have lots of fantastic lights.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
A game of beating the clock.

Pump shaft arrived. Laser etched confirming the one that came out was a lovely ktm part.

Pump built up.

(I now have an entire spare pump for this thing, from impeller to bearings to spacers. That's for 110k-miles)

From the Ford gently caress Me In The rear end F-550 I bought a vacuum coolant filler.
Normally the 950/990 requires lifting the front wheel 24" off the ground to ensure no air bubbles. One tank on. Idling. bleeding off air bubbles.

Not anymore*.

That's kinda it for pics. Primed the oiling system. Topped off the oil and coolant. Battery was almost too dead but the bike fired off anyway.
Hoisted the left tank on and started the initial warm up procedure then got interrupted.

Notes.
It's quieter. Sort of. Less farm implement noises.
Oil pressure builds up quicker, even cold. The hydraulic cam chain tensioners aren't being over extended and bleeding down now.
It's a lot more responsive to throttle input. Good cause it was kind of sloppy about response to blipping the throttle.
It starts faster but also sometimes just won't. Probably that bullshit end of life defibrillator battery not happy about cranking the bike for 10 solid seconds.

I did a master re-time of the engine, from crank on up. Between that and the coolant pump that was the last of the second owner's "work" gone. These engines are a bastard to time and can be timed incorrectly and still somehow loving run.
I left the counterbalancer a tooth off in 2020 when I discovered the 05.5+ engines run different loving counterbalancer timing and didn't feel like timing the engine from scratch then. (or dealing with the chains). Hindsight is 2020, I should have. I changed the counterbalancer drive sprocket for one with a damper to avoid chain slap breaking the guides again.

*I left the rad drain cracked, so I bet it's not done thoroughly. I'm gonna hoist the wheel later and check my work. gently caress.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I'm just over here :lol: that it's called a pump shaft

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Did some more winterization: drained the carbs, plugged off the fuel line, put tire pressure to spec, cleaned and waxed the chain. Cleaned and reinstalled my kickstand - the jam nut that keeps the pivot bolt in place isn't jamming any more, so I loctited it when I put it back on.

Also did an oil change and new rear motor mount on my car.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Cooling system checked, no air in the front head so the vacuum bleeder did its job.
Carbs synced. Idle mixture set. Idle speed set. TPS adjusted.

Engine is a lot smoother and quieter across its entire rev range. It's noticeably more responsive to throttle input.
No more cam chain rattles on a hot start. Will know for sure next spring.
It probably hasn't run this well in 20 thousand miles. Decline is slow and hard to notice till major changes are made.

Need to flush clutch, brakes, and throw a battery at it, that's a future me project.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I got all my routine stuff out of the way in the fall but this weekend did require some winterizing. It might be placebo effect but the speedbumps and potholes feel at least 20% more festive now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Pushed it 4 miles when it blew a fuse and I didn't have a spare. Made the unpleasant discovery that multiple gas stations will stock 2-cycle oil but no fuses. At that point, it felt like my femurs were gonna fall out of their hip sockets, so I had to take a risk and connect the fuse terminals end-to-end in order to ride it the rest of the 4 miles home.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

That's not festive at all. What did you use to make the connection?

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

This is an old bike, so it had a single 15-amp glass cylinder fuse. The terminals are split collars that fit over the ends of the fuse. To connect the terminals, I just slipped them onto each other using the split in each one.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Dang.

I popped the fuse of my accessory circuit once trying to cross Utah right after a blizzard. Took a lot of miles to realize that/why/how my heated gear wasn’t warming me anymore.

Made it to Green River and had enough finger function to swap another 15A fuse in — I think it was a spare sitting in the block so I didn’t even need to sacrifice anything like lights; thanks Honda!

Edit: ‘97 so they were bladed mini-fuses, that Loves didn’t have them but I bet someone in town would have.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Dec 14, 2023

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I rode my bike yesterday! It's been cold, snowy and icy for over a month but its been thawing lately and yesterday there was a very marginal weather window on a day off work to ride it to its intended winter hibernation place at bro who has way more space than I do. I had scouted the road well and it went all right but the first and last few hundred meters on small residential streets were sketchy. There was some ice and slush and enormous amounts of road salt. Then I washed it real good, now its sitting inside drying. Fuel stabilizer in the tank, battery ready to come out once its moved to the shipping container where it will sleep under a blanket for a hundred days or so.

I have to get the mandatory inspection done before April 1st if I want the bike to remain road regal so that kind of sucks but it is what it is, I have no reason to believe that it won't pass as it sits now.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

FZR600 is sitting on its wheels again. Spent a lot of time looking for the individual parts and waiting for dry weather to work on it outside. It rained for 2 months in a row, with maybe a total of 7 dry days.

Opened up the fork legs. hosed up one of the slide bushes while moving around the inner part of the fork. Spent more time looking for those.

Ended up buying a full revision kit (if only i had found it earlier). Fork legs are now back together and on the bike again. In the end i spent maybe 4 afternoons doing the actual work and weeks waiting for tolerable weather and waiting for parts to arrive.

Anyway, FZR's again closer to being a Good Bike.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Santa brought me a Fluke, so this morning I used a number of old posts regarding battery health (mostly yours LimaBiker) and sketched out an annual battery check procedure/log, so hopefully I don't need to get stranded next time. Ended up with this in spreadsheet form:

Resting & powered off (~12.6+):
Turned on:
Minimum when hitting brights and brake light (Dip between these last two < 0.50V):
Minimum when cranking (9.5+V):
Charging (13.8+, ideally 4.4V):
Turned Off, new resting (>13V):
Post-Ride (>13V):

Then I ran those tests against the VanVan (2mo old battery), Triumph (3+ yo battery) and the VanVan's toasted battery that I kept around so I could charge it and poke it with a multimeter. The VanVan passed. The Triumph is telling me its battery is getting marginal (12.57V resting, drops to 8.63V when cranking, and after a long ride was still at 12.89V.). This year the display started occasionally changing from odometer to the trip when I'd start it, which might be the first sign I missed.

Time to figure out the tools I need to bring with me when I pick up the new battery.

E-P posted:

https://www.sofirnlight.com/collections/headlamps?spm=..index.header_1.1

Recomend these. I have the HS10 headlamp and its pretty great, and the IF22A. All at a good price point.

They have lots of fantastic lights.

I wishlisted those, but they were out of stock so my daughter ended up getting me a couple with no discernible branding. I'm impressed with the device as a whole, they have a motion detector so you can keep it on your head and turn it on and off with a handwave, and I spent a couple minutes worrying about the light beam being too high before realizing they have a pivot.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I washed it, cleaned the heck out of the chain for the first time in like 2 years and then rode it because it was drat near 60 degrees out. Then I went to the dealer to get an air and oil filter. They didn't have the air filter and the shop manager couldn't figure out the POS system so he let me take the oil filter and told me I could settle up when the air filter came in :shrug:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Oh man a rear stand makes everything so much easier, changed the oil and adjusted the chain in a jiffy.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Now imagine that your motorcycle just comes with one of those built-in and ready to flip down at any time :aaa:

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Sagebrush posted:

Now imagine that your motorcycle just comes with one of those built-in and ready to flip down at any time :aaa:

Speaking of, I just got the center stand (oh I’m sorry it’s a triumph so Centre Stand) kit. Hoping to put it on tomorrow.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

SW motec makes one for the mt09 I wonder if that would fit the smaller bike

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 29, 2023

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Maybe the hardest part about putting the center centre stand on was not pulling the other silencer off when I saw how dirty the inside of the one I had to remove was.

Guess I know a thing I’ll likely be doing when I do a spring clean.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Tire time for the KLX300. That's about 60 -70 hours of trail use.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

The case halves cleaned up pretty well despite 40+ years of baked on grime.

Could really use a vapour blaster rather than a pan full of varsol and a toothbrush.

Just waiting on parts to begin reassembling. New crank, full seal kit, electronic ignition, and new pistons (cylinders will be bored to fit 64.5mm pistons)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Replaced an ancient battery.

And promptly realized I ordered one with the wrong terminal type.

And the wiring harness is tied to the frame and doesn't have enough slack for me to makeup the extra inch needed.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm working on putting my V-Strom back together after a fried stator.
I present the dumbest gasket packaging I've ever come across

It's sitting on a backing off cardboard but then the top layer is adhesive plastic. It's a careful chore to get the gasket out without damage.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Beve Stuscemi posted:

My bet is they all run

Sagebrush posted:

They're Hondas. Put in a new battery and fresh gas, kick them over with the ignition off a few times, then flip the switch and ride away

Status update

6/12 run.

2/12 have internal engine issues and will go on the back burner.

4/12 are unknown or are missing major parts like wheels so also back burner. Turns out it takes a lot of space to work on this many bikes.

Lots of fuel tanks to derust. Most are shockingly clean after forcibly removing the locking fuel caps.

The carbs are all disgusting and likely not worth the effort to clean when replacements are ~$20.

24 tire replacements, brake, and wheel bearing inspections are indeed going to suck.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

TotalLossBrain posted:

I'm working on putting my V-Strom back together after a fried stator.
I present the dumbest gasket packaging I've ever come across
Oh hey, I get my Honda clutch cover gaskets from the same place. Still beats making my own!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

helno posted:

Status update

6/12 run.

2/12 have internal engine issues and will go on the back burner.

4/12 are unknown or are missing major parts like wheels so also back burner.

So what you’re saying is all of them run

Don’t toss your OEM carbs, I’ve not had good luck with eBay Chinese carbs.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah at least stick the carbs in a bucket of cleaner (or 1:2 pine-sol and water if your state bans xylene carb cleaners) and see what you get.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah at least stick the carbs in a bucket of cleaner (or 1:2 pine-sol and water if your state bans xylene carb cleaners) and see what you get.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

So what you’re saying is all of them run

Don’t toss your OEM carbs, I’ve not had good luck with eBay Chinese carbs.

There are also several complete spare engines so potentially more than 12 run.

We did actually clean two of the carbs during the previous session and it was a struggle to get the tiny idle jets clear. They mostly are gummed up with tar like scum rather than the nasty corrosion that is common with E10 fuels.

I offered to clean the carbs that we removed today but currently the owner wants to go with 5 new carbs and then mix and match with the old carb parts to get the remaining stock working.

Regarding the aftermarket carbs I have had decent luck with them. They appear to be identical other than having a removable seat for the float valve.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I don’t know, I hear bad things about carb bucket mentality.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
My VStrom is back together and seems to work fine again. 14.3V at the battery with the engine running.
However, I lost the tank pivot bolt :(
IDK how I managed to lose literally the largest bolt in this entire job.
So now the bike has a 1/4" SS shoulder bolt courtesy of the local farm supply store there instead. I'm going to hell.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

I'm going to hell.

Yup

Maybe it's lodged in the bowels of the bike somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm hoping it falls out when I get it off the center stand and out of the garage. Too rainy today though