Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Sekenr posted:

Got around to doing Polysemy mission. Are all weekly missions like this? Bungie clearly wants me to quit and welp I guess they won?
Single path runs of Lair solo. They're doable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Sestze posted:

Single path runs of Lair solo. They're doable.

First of all thanks for helping but I literally don't understand what you said "Single path runs of Lair solo". I have no doubt that they are doable yet they are the opposite of what I find fun in destiny

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Sekenr posted:

Got around to doing Polysemy mission. Are all weekly missions like this? Bungie clearly wants me to quit and welp I guess they won?

Having that spike trap be your first experience with the seasonal activity is an amazing amount of "gently caress you" in narrative and level design

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PvP reverting to Year 1 with a side of an endless meta of snapshot snipers and bows loving sucks lol

I wonder when shotguns are going back to the heavy slot

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Sekenr posted:

First of all thanks for helping but I literally don't understand what you said "Single path runs of Lair solo". I have no doubt that they are doable yet they are the opposite of what I find fun in destiny

You did a Lair run to get the weekly story mission

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sekenr posted:

What's difficult about it?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Sekenr posted:

yet they are the opposite of what I find fun in destiny

Can you expand on this? Is it the traps? Enemy density? Amount of HP? Damage they do? What's unfun about these missions/activities for you, specifically?

Basically everything this season runs around Riven's Lair/The Coil -- the two seasonal activities. And the story missions do tend to at least involve these, if not be special solo-runs. I think Polysemy is the hardest of them because it ends with one of the more annoying bosses from the runs. But ultimately, it's pretty middle of the road for difficulty imo. If it's difficulty, you might need to look into a proper build.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I can understand the complaint that it's the lack of variety. Want to get seasonal drops? Run a lair. Want to advance the storyline? Run a lair with different dialog. Want to get more and better seasonal drops and really challenge your build and skills? Run 4 lairs with a couple of modifiers. And not only are they all basically the same activity, the lairs are largely assembled from pre-existing environments with different enemy spawns (the trap sections are new, but are also short and not really the point of the activity). Other seasons with multiple activities at least sent you to different places and I think the only time that's happened here is Starcrossed

The spike traps are also indefensible bullshit

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

haveblue posted:

The spike traps are also indefensible bullshit

:hmmyes:

Their hitboxes are way too big.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Lotta skill issues itt right now lmao

It would b very cool to add a different activity each week for a total set of 6 or so they aren't the same every time tbh

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They do seem to be making minor changes as the story progresses- after the vex invasion this week all the taken boopers got replaced with detain drones. Hopefully that continues and they make more radical changes

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Sekenr posted:

Yeah, I don't know what to tell you. Eventually you get to know the pathways in the coil/lair runs to where you avoid spikes, gas puddles and wall pushers without really thinking about it. They've become routine to the point where, this week, they added detainment cubes to the platforming sections, which require you to be able to aim at a point while jumping to knock the detainment drones out, or make sure you've got solid ground under your feet when you do get detained.

The combat encounters, if you have any degree of sustain in your build, are not particularly difficult. Even if you die, you respawn in ~5s, unless it's the boss room, where you restart the boss fight with a rally flag for full super/heavy.

The only difficult parts of these runs usually crops up when you're fighting massed wyverns in the vex branches, and that's usually solved by playing hide and seek or using stasis/strand to disable the wyverns for quick cleanup. Or the wyvern boss, which demands a level of respect that most other combat encounters don't. Still, the arc cranium shields or the mephistic virus shields only come back a maximum of once during a fight, so you can slowly grind your way through these fights, picking off the adds and chipping down the boss at your leisure.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

It's the traps, combat I'm fine with.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Sestze posted:

They've become routine to the point where, this week, they added detainment cubes to the platforming sections, which require you to be able to aim at a point while jumping to knock the detainment drones out, or make sure you've got solid ground under your feet when you do get detained.
This isn't possible with the standard console controls, especially if it's a double-jump. You can kind of do it if you're warlock floofing, but hunters are going to find that difficult unless they're bumper jumpers.

Sestze posted:

The only difficult parts of these runs usually crops up when you're fighting massed wyverns in the vex branches, and that's usually solved by playing hide and seek or using stasis/strand to disable the wyverns for quick cleanup. Or the wyvern boss, which demands a level of respect that most other combat encounters don't.
Wyvern health is way, way overtuned considering how much they can also harrass you and hide their crit spot. Maybe I'm missing a trick but they're strong contenders for most annoying enemy along with taken captains, and scorn void chieftains.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Dec 26, 2023

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Wyvern health is way, way overtuned considering how much they can also harrass you and hide their crit spot. Maybe I'm missing a trick but they're strong contenders for most annoying enemy along with taken captains, and scorn void chieftains.
Need a stagger to get them to open up their crit spot from the front, or you need to suspend/freeze to get them to open up. The other thing is, they have a crit spot from behind as well, but the weird tentacle shield they extend to the sides will occasionally make shots from behind not register, and you need someone to flank the wyvern in a game that often doesn't have a threat mechanic.

edit: easier said than done though, bosses don't stagger unless hit by a Leviathan's Breath, and regular wyverns also don't stagger often if Iron/Galvanized is active, which it often is.

Sestze fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 26, 2023

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Wyvern are among the worst enemies in the game, but especially as bosses.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The only time that Wyverns were good enemies is when the Fighting Lion was bugged to deal utterly ridiculous amounts of damage to redbars. Popping those fuckers in one offhand shot was cathartic.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
In the lore isn’t it something like Wyverns are actual Vex combat units, and the rest of the Vex are the equivalent of bulldozers? Someone tell me how much I’m off on that.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It doesn't help that their immunity "wings" frequently cover areas that look like they shouldn't, presumably due to network latency. Nothing like wasting a rocket on what looks like a clear shot at its torso and getting an Immune message.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ohhyeah posted:

In the lore isn’t it something like Wyverns are actual Vex combat units, and the rest of the Vex are the equivalent of bulldozers? Someone tell me how much I’m off on that.

I don't think they've ever been positively identified as such, but yeah, there's a lore card somewhere with speculation that all the vex we had seen up until that point had been utility units pressed into combat and real Vex military hardware would totally outclass them

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I THINK that was speculation from Calus and there isn't much evidence to back him up because the Vex are so purpose focused they would send their combat units to fight us from the start. Fun idea, though. I've always liked it.

The one thing about Wyverns is you can finish them earlier in their health bar than everything else but I do mostly agree that they're very overturned. Too much health, too much damage, annoyingly concealed crit spot, their attack loses a lot of effectiveness at range but they have one of the most powerful gap closers in the game to make up for it. They just have too much going on.

The main way to deal with them is debuffs. Just freeze/suspend/blind/disorient them, it's the only way to handle them.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

MJeff posted:

their attack loses a lot of effectiveness at range
Everything is objectively correct in this post except for this particular statement. Last week (currently this week for another 40 minutes) has the coil final boss room putting you 20 LL under the Wyvern boss with void threat. As a result, his blasts are pretty easy to dodge, but they kill across the whole arena. You're effectively playing a shmup against Wyvern attacks.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Sestze posted:

Everything is objectively correct in this post except for this particular statement. Last week (currently this week for another 40 minutes) has the coil final boss room putting you 20 LL under the Wyvern boss with void threat. As a result, his blasts are pretty easy to dodge, but they kill across the whole arena. You're effectively playing a shmup against Wyvern attacks.

I mean when you get really far away, the Warp Lance starts spreading out, so instead of five bolts all smacking you at once, they're all getting more and more apart from each other so you can actually dodge some of them. The arena in the coil this week is too small for you to ever be able to take advantage of that.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sekenr posted:

It's the traps, combat I'm fine with.

How good are you at learning patterns?

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I got Izanagi's and the Lemon bow from my Forsaken ciphers, based on what I've been told to do by the internet. I'm trying to decide between Thorn, Last Word and Ace of Spades for the last one. I'm a very casual pve titan player if that makes any difference

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Act of Spades is probably the best of those, the other ones are focused on PVP

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Ace of Spades is also focused on PvP. Either that or Thorn if I were you. Don’t worry about Last Word, it has zero PvE application but the other two are at least kinda decent for add clear.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Thorn is an excellent PvE weapon nowadays. If you play warlock it synergises well with the Necrotic Grip exotic arms.

That said if you keep doing Xur's weekly quest you'll eventually have everything from the exotic kiosk so you don't need to sweat the choice too much.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Thinking posted:

I got Izanagi's and the Lemon bow from my Forsaken ciphers, based on what I've been told to do by the internet. I'm trying to decide between Thorn, Last Word and Ace of Spades for the last one. I'm a very casual pve titan player if that makes any difference

Last Word is pure PvP. Ace of Spades is an excellent primary weapon that can be used anywhere but is most used in PvP because it just kind of lacks the synergistic nature you want out of your PvE workhorse gun. Thorn is a great all-rounder, its catalyst makes it very good in PvP and its ability to overflow the mag up to 40 and basically never need to reload makes it really good in PvE.

It's hard to go wrong between Ace or Thorn. Tarrabah and Bad Juju are also decent PvE choices.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

lmao this week's story stuff is seriously do a Story Mode Lair, do an ascendant challenge, and then do a bunch of queue Lair/Coil.

I havent minded the seasonal loop too much in the past, but christ is this season making it wear thin in particular. Pulling out old Forsaken content is probably nice for people who missed it, but it feels real lazy as a veteran.

The fact the story missions are just Lair/Coil is also pretty dull, doubly so when they turn around and just make you do more right after.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
For any new kids who don't know what the gently caress, Ascendant Challenges are on a six-week rotation and you can check them at Today in Destiny. It's Forfeit Shrine in the Gardens of Esila this week, though I think it gives you a quest marker? Buy your queen's piss Tincture of Queensfoil from Petra and pop it once you're in the zone; the portal will be visible on the outside of one of the cliffs overlooking the water.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Important also to note that some of them are right bastards.

Also they contain an optional objective from Forsaken which is to pop all the corrupted ahamkara eggs with Wish Ender, which is pretty dark given this week's quest.

"Oh yeah, we could actually have cured these all along, but we decided to give you a sick sparrow for murdering them all instead."

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Also they contain an optional objective from Forsaken which is to pop all the corrupted ahamkara eggs with Wish Ender, which is pretty dark given this week's quest.

"Oh yeah, we could actually have cured these all along, but we decided to give you a sick sparrow for murdering them all instead."
There are 40 of them. That's at least 120 lair runs.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There was no reason to try to cure them before this season's storyline. Non-taken ahamkara were still evil genie assholes that the Vanguard tried to wipe out in the great hunt.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

great stats on this baby

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Buce posted:

great stats on this baby

If I’m reading this right you’ll draw extremely quickly and then have aim like a stormtrooper?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Buce posted:

great stats on this baby

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

If I’m reading this right you’ll draw extremely quickly and then have aim like a stormtrooper?

it's much worse than that

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Buce posted:

great stats on this baby

:pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Buce posted:

great stats on this baby

Exactly how long is a '1' speed reload? Is it longer than the 2 seconds it takes to fart out every bullet in the clip?