Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

John A posted:

This flagrant male shirtlessness lends the comic a homeoerotic aspect not really seen since… Kevin Keegan and Henry Cooper’s Brut advert. But as I said on Monday, that one’s too hot for TV so here’s Henry Cooper in the bath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (September 16-17, 2004)

First appearances: Esther de Groot, teenage goth and future protagonist of Giant Days; Big Lindsay, school bully and semi-friend of Esther; and that other girl whose name I can't remember.

Short post today! Tomorrow, we start the Time Teapot arc.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

and that other girl whose name I can't remember.

I think that may be Lottie's sister, Sarah.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

I think that may be Lottie's sister, Sarah.

I think you're right, yeah. Which is a hell of a character design change over the next couple years of SGR.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
On review, I think the biggest problem I had with Steeple is that the supernatural elements seem to be so real and pervasive that it's weird that the characters aren't taking them more seriously.

Like, the Reverend was just sexually assaulted! By witches, who use their genuine Satan-derived magical powers to do evil!* But the people in the comic seem to regard them as "a really intolerable and annoying pair of women" rather than "a serious threat to life and limb that we should really do something about". Like, I feel like this is a matter for the police! And if the police won't arrest you for witchcraft, you should probably consider burning them at the stake!

* not to mention "vaguely well-intentioned deeds that are so capricious as to be indistinguishable from evil"

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Rand Brittain posted:

On review, I think the biggest problem I had with Steeple is that the supernatural elements seem to be so real and pervasive that it's weird that the characters aren't taking them more seriously.

Like, the Reverend was just sexually assaulted! By witches, who use their genuine Satan-derived magical powers to do evil!* But the people in the comic seem to regard them as "a really intolerable and annoying pair of women" rather than "a serious threat to life and limb that we should really do something about". Like, I feel like this is a matter for the police! And if the police won't arrest you for witchcraft, you should probably consider burning them at the stake!

* not to mention "vaguely well-intentioned deeds that are so capricious as to be indistinguishable from evil"

To be fair, having supernatural / paranormal elements and or threats that the general populace ignores is par the course for most of Allison's comics. The characters who are directly involved seem to take it in stride and don't want to involve outsiders, while anyone not involved thinks that the various monsters and such are just urban legends. In Steeple 5 when Maggie sees the Mermen attack the rectory, she says that she always thought they were just fairy stories, even though she had been a trainee priestess in the Church of Satan and had to have seen some preternatural things herself.

The whole scenario reminds me of The Venture Bros, where you have a level of super-heroics and villainy that the general public never hears about, and those involved don't think to ask for help from mundane services (as Rusty Venture says in one episode about his arch-nemesis The Monarch "If I knew you call the police on them I would have done it years ago!"). And yes, I do have a Bad Machinery / Venture Bros fan-fiction story, if only in my head.

The_Other fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 15, 2023

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Rusty being the American version of Tim actually makes a lot of sense in my head.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Kazinsal posted:

First appearances: Esther de Groot, teenage goth and future protagonist of Giant Days; Big Lindsay, school bully and semi-friend of Esther; and that other girl whose name I can't remember.

I feel like this is wildly out of character for who Esther and Big Linds become.

Also I just remembered an American blogger complaining about Big Lindsay being called that.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I feel like this is wildly out of character for who Esther and Big Linds become.

Also I just remembered an American blogger complaining about Big Lindsay being called that.

Yeah, they definitely have a LOT of character growth over the next five years of SGR. This is one of the best parts about doing daily posts of the strip for me, going back and seeing how all the characters change over the eight or so years it was running.

John Allison posted:

Time travel is a really stupid thing to write about. After all, history is a mystery. That's why those two words rhyme - it's no coincidence.

For years I'd been thinking about doing a new comic called "Real True History", where I would provide amusing and fictitious perspectives on the events that have shaped man-kind. In a sense this was a trial run. And it taught me a few things: research is hard, history involves drawing a lot of items that are brown, and the past was extremely smelly.

What a story like this really needed was a lot of very opulent pictures of carriages and town squares and people being drunk in the gutter on gin. Unfortunately, on my tight schedule, I can only manage to draw one opulent building a week.

So I tried to show how Shelley and Amy would use their particular individual skills and talents to succeed in 1840s England.

Some people wrote to me to say that this story ends quite abruptly. I wrote back to them saying that this was the way of things and that it was time for a new yarn. All lies.

The truth is that I had no way to continue the story that wasn't so desperately brutal that my family and friends would have disowned me. Bob Crowley, Blackie and the Orphan are monsters, and once I let them out of the box, every plot I worked out extrapolated into Victorian nastiness played out in stygian gloom.

Here are some of my actual notes, the only other ending that was even semi-pleasant (and it is not pleasant): "Blackie stabs Crowley in his rooms. Blackie goes downstairs, drinks wine. The Orphan has poisoned it. She dies. Orphan goes outside with her jewels. Crowley in death throes falls out of window crushing Orphan. The end". Read on (and beware!)

Scary Go Round (September 20-22, 2004)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Oops, almost forgot to post today.

Scary Go Round (September 23-27, 2004)

First appearance: Riley Beckwith! Yes, that's Ryan's sister. Yes, she's with Tim. Oh you *bet* that's gonna come up down the road.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Lmao the last panel.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Some more pictures from John Allison's Instagram:

"Fishmansplaining"

Claire and a torch.

Concept sketch of Primrose from The Great British Bump Off Allison drew for Max Sarin.

Apparently it's an Isley Brothers song.

Also here's a link to my collection of Allison's original Bobbins and Scareodeleria comics. Password is TheOther

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Now, these were the two witches who replaced Brian’s werewolf power with the feral animal spirit of Jeremy Clarkson (seen in flashback in The Silvery Moon). So quite what moneyshines are going on in panel 3, I’m going to leave to you to work out. It’s probably nothing.

Perhaps what is manifesting is the “essence of man” as defined by Kelly le Brock in this 1992 Brut commercial. You decide.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (September 28-30, 2004)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (October 1-5, 2004)

First appearance: Bob Crowley, occultist beyond time and space, and apparently the wickedest man in all London.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Does the sofa in the rectory living room usually have antimacassars? Or did I draw them just for this one comic because I wanted to use the word “antimacassar”? Unlike the unimpeachably great smell of Brut, some things are not so straightforward.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (October 6-8, 2004)

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Is there a reason they went with the Beckwith Sisters?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

CannonFodder posted:

Is there a reason they went with the Beckwith Sisters?

They actually don't know many people to use as a basis for a fake name.

Also, uh oh:

John A posted:

Brian neglected to let Lorraine Lumsford out and now look what has happened. The woman’s high on lewd tittle tattle, not a single cat remains in the bag.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Nice detail of having Lorraine hiding behind a chair in the last panel there.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Honestly I feel like this isn't really something Billie should be trying to keep secret.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Lorraine is a moron. Billie going to the church of Satan, making it a friendlier and better space for its worshippers, realizing she wants to go back to God's path after all, and then coming back to the church to atone would be the kind of redemption story that the Cardinal would eat up.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I mean, ultimately, "I got hexed into doing something against my nature" is either a real excuse or it isn't. If it is, she shouldn't have a problem, and if it isn't, she probably shouldn't be working here.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (October 11-13, 2004)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

It’s the end of Steeple issue 19, Maggie’s Party, and the last comic of 2023. I will be taking next week off, but Steeple will be back for the final chapter on Monday January 1st. Thank you for reading this year.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

So at first glance I thought they were just patterns in the bushes, but comments on the Steeple website suggest that there might be mermen hiding in the third panel.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

It does look like one of them at least on the right, potentially more.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

I talked to Mark Tweedale about the Great British Bump Off and my process working with Max Sarin. It’s a light read, ideal for coffee time.

John Allison Discusses Homicide Baking in “The Great British Bump-Off”

The Great British Bump Off collection, from Dark Horse, is in bookshops now.

Now that's a sketch!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (October 14-18, 2004)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (October 19-21, 2004)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (October 22-November 2, 2004)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

This storyline is interesting when you consider what happens to Tim in that one arc of Bad Machinery. Riley had basically suppressed Tim from inventing for years, until Tim gets an urge to make something for his family, and how that huge mess led to Tim and Riley splitting apart. IIRC, Riley kinda gets away with doing a lot of lovely stuff like that, including trying to poison her own kid's mind to be against Shelley, to the point Scout had to pretend to hate Shelley just so Riley will let her spend time with her dad.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

There's also the invent-off leading into the Wales arc which, at the rate I've been posting, I think we'll get to sometime in summer.

Scary Go Round (November 3-5, 2004)

Poor Ames, jobless once again. We pick up tomorrow with the lovely Fallon Young and her hunt for the mythical Man-O-War!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

John Allison posted:

A note for readers new to the Scary Go Round game. Fallon was Shelley's best friend and housemate from 2001 to 2004, when a ninja infestation drove Shelley out of their luxury maisonette.

Fallon is also a secret agent, who spends periods away overseas, stealing microfilms and punching dangerous foreign operatives in the breadbasket.

In this story, Fallon allows her friend to become engaged in affairs between the United Kingdom and the aquatic kingdom. I do not profess to be an expert on the politics of the ocean, but sending a fragile, accident-prone child-woman into the murky depths to repel the man-o-war menace may not be a good idea (tactically speaking).

In many ways it is a little like trying to stop a moving steamroller with a slice of wet bread. During the latter part of this short narrative, you may ask yourself how Shelley can breathe through just a mask, with no air tanks. Well, you're going to like this.

Shelley's arm propellors run on water. They break it into hydrogen and oxygen, the oxygen goes up tubes into her mask and the hydrogen provides clean energy or the propellors. The technology is very similar to that used to make yogurt, utilising Newton's Spoon and the Law of Incredibly Compromised Thermodynamics.

Further addenda:
(1) Hyundai are of course not Japanese, they're French. Sebastiane Hyundai is a direct descendent of King Louis XIV, and had the idea for the "motor car" when he saw 4 stones rolling down a hill.
(2) Men-o-war are of course not dangerous sea-dwelling egomaniacs. They are kind, friendly and love hugs.
(3) I promise I do not have it in for Aron Ralston, it is just in fun.

Scary Go Round (November 8-10, 2004)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (November 11-15, 2004)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (November 16-18, 2004)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Kazinsal posted:

Scary Go Round (November 16-18, 2004)

Fallon in that middle panel is some prime SGR girl posing. What the hell is she even doing?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Legs over the arm of the couch, butt on the seat, torso pressed against the back of the thighs and left arm reaching forward so she can... massage her foot? Body facing Ryan because she's in the middle of this conversation with him but twisting back to Shelley as she mentions the van.

Pretty ballsy choice of pose for Allison, lol.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

It's pretty much the peak of weird-era Allison. I feel like the ridiculous poses start to fade away when he goes back to hand-drawn strips.

Scary Go Round (November 19-23, 2004)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (November 24-26, 2004)

In retrospect, I should have timed the next set of strips better, as starting tomorrow we're into a heartfelt Christmas tale. Oops! Just pretend I'm good at posting.