Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I appreciate that not even a large multimillion dollar company can escape lazy procgen art for their NFTs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
all my normies gone

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

SettingSun posted:

I appreciate that not even a large multimillion dollar company can escape lazy procgen art for their NFTs.

He's a Normie waiter affiliated with a tavern? oh no, how will the crypto crowd handle that? :ohdear:

sounds too woke to go broke on nft's

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Luv 2 support trays with a lightly clenched fist

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
remember the first nft bubble and you had some buttcoin writer for one of the serious newspapers talking about what if mario kart was an nft?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

PhazonLink posted:

remember the first nft bubble and you had some buttcoin writer for one of the serious newspapers talking about what if mario kart was an nft?

Specifically, what if Mario in Mario Kart was an NFT, so only one person in the entire world could play Mario Kart as Mario. What a wonderful world

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Boxturret posted:

Specifically, what if Mario in Mario Kart was an NFT, so only one person in the entire world could play Mario Kart as Mario. What a wonderful world

Imagine getting a super mushroom but in Madden. That's just the start of our new wonderful world my friend.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Boxturret posted:

It's okay, you can have 50 slightly different Marios, which is more than enough for how many players NFT games usually get.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
iirc they framed it as Mario was the best. so its a pay to win system to an insane degree. sure a competitive community will form around asset lordship and renting out usage of the objectively best game asset. thats a healthy thing for a comp game.

lol at the journey here. what if pay to win?, what if asset crossover? what if passive income?, what if where's waldo and an overworked intern's lore text?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I read Number Go Up by Zeke Faux. It’s good. A lot of it is just him playing the straight man and letting cryptobros go on bizarre rants about fiat currency. Some of the stuff, like the fate of FTX, you probably already know but it’s a fun ride.

The biggest mystery Faux pursues is Tether, a company that sells a stablecoin supposedly backed by USD. Tether has suffered bank runs, hacks, and lawsuits from regulators, but it’s survived all along even as stablecoins like TerraUSD collapsed under their own contradictions. Faux asks a ton of people about Tether and it’s definitely shady as hell, but he can’t get real answers. Tether claims to have $55 billion in backing and they probably don’t really, but no one has real evidence of this. He interviews Brock Pierce, a former child actor who claims to have had the idea for Tether, but Pierce turns out to be an idiot who doesn’t know anything about the company’s operations. The real guy behind it is Giancarlo Devasini, an Italian plastic surgeon and small-time crook, but while Faux does talk to some people near him, Devasini brushes him off entirely.

In a more disturbing sequence, Faux visits Cambodia posing as a tourist. A large number of people are recruited from other countries to work in Cambodia, only to find they’re thrown into a prison call center where they’re enslaved to rip off lonely people through pig-butchering. These scams rely on Tether for its ability to easily move and launder money, and of course Tether doesn’t give a gently caress. Kind of horrible! Anyway he doesn’t really come down on why Tether has survived. I think it’s a mix of luck and being smarter about marketing compared to other crypto, not to mention making themselves too big to fail so everyone in crypto depends on them being liquid.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Tether cannot possibly have billions of dollars lying around to fully back itself, but that fact doesn't seem to weigh it down that much. I wonder what the company that runs it does all day, but I guess I could say the same for some of the more arcane financial businesses too.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

SettingSun posted:

I wonder what the company that runs it does all day

Launders money for rich criminals

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

SettingSun posted:

Tether cannot possibly have billions of dollars lying around to fully back itself, but that fact doesn't seem to weigh it down that much. I wonder what the company that runs it does all day, but I guess I could say the same for some of the more arcane financial businesses too.

They absolutely could. Of course they almost certainly don't but it would be totally possible for them to run the business in a legitimate way and still make an obscene amount of money doing basically nothing.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Anyway he doesn’t really come down on why Tether has survived. I think it’s a mix of luck and being smarter about marketing compared to other crypto, not to mention making themselves too big to fail so everyone in crypto depends on them being liquid.

I think it's possible that it's simply due to nothing has caused a Tether liquidity crisis yet, and the users don't really care about what's backing it as long as other users are willing to exchange it for USD. If something were to cause people to suddenly try and redeem all their Tether for USD then you might see it collapse.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

gay picnic defence posted:

I think it's possible that it's simply due to nothing has caused a Tether liquidity crisis yet, and the users don't really care about what's backing it as long as other users are willing to exchange it for USD. If something were to cause people to suddenly try and redeem all their Tether for USD then you might see it collapse.

Nothing in the market has stepped on the wrong spot yet.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

In a more disturbing sequence, Faux visits Cambodia posing as a tourist. A large number of people are recruited from other countries to work in Cambodia, only to find they’re thrown into a prison call center where they’re enslaved to rip off lonely people through pig-butchering.

Is pig-butchering a euphemism or...?

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

ynohtna posted:

Is pig-butchering a euphemism or...?

It’s a euphemism for stealing money through catfishing. They flirt with lonely rubes until they convince them to wire money into “investments” using Tether.

Faux never states why Tether is still around, but in a roundabout way, he implies it’s because it’s the one actually used by criminals. Bitcoin is the one that keeps normal people inserting USD into the ponzi.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
pretty sure fattening up targets has existed forever, is the usage recentish? seems like one of the those techbro things of invent a new vocab word for a thing that already exists.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas
Pig butchering is referring to "fattening the pig" before completing the scam. Get a rube to invest $100 and give them $500 increase their confidence and have them invest $1000 and give them $3000, then when they finally give you their entire nest egg, you cut and run.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

pretty sure fattening up targets has existed forever, is the usage recentish? seems like one of the those techbro things of invent a new vocab word for a thing that already exists.

It's not new and Faux discusses a lot of similar confidence scandals. The South Sea Company scam in 1720 targeted Britons eager to earn a bunch of money but without the expertise to realize that the business plan would not possibly work. Ubiquitous internet access sure makes it easier to find marks though.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The FBI has been using the term for at least a year.

https://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/fiel...-pig-butchering

My work (large financial company) had an FBI special agent do a presentation on pig butchering a couple weeks ago. Nothing really new for anyone reading this thread but still interesting to hear it from their side.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I thought the novel thing about pig butchering is that it's industrialized, and many of the people doing it are victims of human trafficking as well

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Aren't all those obnoxious text spam messages we all get these days attempts at entrapping marks in pig buchering scams? The ones that are like "Anna did you pick up the kids from soccer?"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PhazonLink posted:

So many takes from people who very obviously had no idea how video games worked at all. Oddly enough it actually worked to make it a sports analogy, what if points scored in your backyard tennis game could be brought into the Super Bowl and so on.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

It's not new and Faux discusses a lot of similar confidence scandals. The South Sea Company scam in 1720 targeted Britons eager to earn a bunch of money but without the expertise to realize that the business plan would not possibly work. Ubiquitous internet access sure makes it easier to find marks though.

The South Sea bubble was also caused by the fact that the government used it to manage the national debt, so it was not just a Ponzi, it was a fully legitimate company with strong ties to the exchequer.

There was a great podcast about it, unfortunately it seems to be lost media. I have a copy if anyone wants it, DM me.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Pig butchering is going to go in a long history of foreign exploitation of local resource innovations.

What’s that, you’ve got a pile of silver and no means to extract it? Luckily thee foreign invaders will subjugate you and force you into mine-slavery.

What’s that, you’ve got a pile of tea and no means to efficiently sell it to European markets? We’ll force an opium trade on you and insist on tea trading terms we have control over.

What’s that? You’ve got a pile of elderly people with money, and low levels of technological and social savvy? We’ll use the inefficiencies and corporate slack in your communications and legal structures to expropriate that wealth.

It’s a wild thing to consider, but there’s gold in them thar olds.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Talorat posted:

Aren't all those obnoxious text spam messages we all get these days attempts at entrapping marks in pig buchering scams? The ones that are like "Anna did you pick up the kids from soccer?"

My name isn't Anna (I'm a guy.) and I don't have any kids, but I drove down to the soccer field anyway, just in case.

Long story short: all my apes are gone

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Talorat posted:

There's a lot of diffrent scams that use pretty similar scripts, but I think that one specifically is trolling for olds who are afraid of their kids getting hurt/encroching dementia.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Neito posted:

There's a lot of diffrent scams that use pretty similar scripts, but I think that one specifically is trolling for olds who are afraid of their kids getting hurt/encroching dementia.

About a decade ago my wife's 85 year old grandmother got one of those calls, claiming that the person on the other end was my wife, that she was in jail, and that she needed help making bail. Don't want to tell mom and dad, etc. you know the script.

Only rather than wire a thousand bucks or whatever she drove down to the police station and tried to pay bail directly, which became a whole loving thing when those poor cops were going "ma'am we do not have that person here" and she went full angry old lady mode thinking the police were unlawfully detaining my wife and wouldn't admit to having her.

The eventual resolution was my wife, sitting in a bar with me, getting a phone call from a very polite but clearly agitated police officer asking her to please talk to her grandmother and explain that she was not, in fact, in their holding cells.

No I have no idea why grandma didn't just try to call my wife directly when they said she wasn't there.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

No I have no idea why grandma didn't just try to call my wife directly when they said she wasn't there.

Problem solving is a genuine skill, and some folks either don’t have the skill, or can’t take the concept of solving a problem and blow that up into an unfamiliar scenario.

It boggles me sometimes, but I’ve known really good programmers who could easily break down technical issues and figure out what’s going on and fix it who couldn’t see they had the skills to apply that kind of logical process to other areas and yield similar success.

Lots of folks don’t see systems at work outside of the systems they’re familiar with already. But the realization that everything is a system and you can approach it at that level of abstraction to discover where the issue lies is a secret weapon some possess and many do not.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Still grandma went to the source and didn't try to pay over the phone. It's about a good a response as any if someone were going to take action on a scammer's con, especially from an old person.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Grandma's conclusions about the honesty of the police may have been misplaced but I can't fault her methods of running around the phone call. That's like the main thing hammered into users during phishing training. If it sounds weird, talk to the actual person.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

"Your elderly grandma got a call from an unknown number from someone claiming to be you (even though you sound nothing alike), and now she's here ranting that we're holding you without cause, so can you PLEASE wire $1000 to this address and we'll get this sorted out for you..."

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
They are getting really advanced with the scams. This dude has been pretending to be my brother for decades since my childhood, even got my parents in on it, and now he’s asking me for $50

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Neito posted:

The text message scripts like that are usually based off the recipient replying wrong number. They then launch intro a little intro about who they were trying to reach and try to catfish you i.e. it's a loneliness ploy looking for people who are desperate enough to make friends with wrong number text messages. Then they spend a while figuring out what you have to steal and pick from a whole list of different scams depending if you have some apes to steal by being your fake girlfriend or seem like you'll wire investments to Asia based on a tip by your new BFF.

Posture Pal
Nov 22, 2007

CNN just did a piece on the pig-butchering scam, Myanmar's become a big hub for these:

https://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2023/12/asia/chinese-scam-operations-american-victims-intl-hnk-dst/

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

So many takes from people who very obviously had no idea how video games worked at all. Oddly enough it actually worked to make it a sports analogy, what if points scored in your backyard tennis game could be brought into the Super Bowl and so on.

side related, reminds me of other blockchain "experts" that were bought on to explain "blockchain" usage cases. just some of the most broke brain poo poo.

like you know the parasocial stuff on twitch with bits used for polls for audience interaction imagine having your own shitcoin and people using the blockchain to decide your breakfast or some poo poo.
or whatabout "fractional" "ownership", like stocks are fractional ownership right? so put your house or car on the blockchain. - something that was said on npr

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Yeah, a lot of it sounds like "hey, you know how venture capitalists and corporate raiders can demolish things so they can make themselves a quick windfall and render everything worse in the process? What if anybody could do that for anything?" To which the only rational response involves wooden stakes and holy water.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The concept of digital ownership is hammered constantly in crypto games. You don't own anything in the games you play! Well no poo poo. That isn't a problem, let alone one that needs to be addressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SettingSun posted:

The concept of digital ownership is hammered constantly in crypto games. You don't own anything in the games you play! Well no poo poo. That isn't a problem, let alone one that needs to be addressed.

excuse me but i will own my *imp summon in final fantasy 4 for as long as my save battery holds out