Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Fajita Queen posted:

The monster ability learning stuff has me sold, that sounds cool as hell

Totally agreed, that sounds super cool. I may have to check this game out, I've literally never heard about it before now which seems crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Sounds similar to the original guildwars, but instead of trying to get capture the skill mid-use you just farm the guy a few dozen times.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

kedo posted:

Totally agreed, that sounds super cool. I may have to check this game out, I've literally never heard about it before now which seems crazy.

Same... I never heard about this game before today and it kinda looks...cool?

Seems like its got a bit of Foxhole feel to it with the zoomed out bird's eye view and the level-less gameplay. Could be nice

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Sounds similar to the original guildwars, but instead of trying to get capture the skill mid-use you just farm the guy a few dozen times.

FFXI Blue Mage needed to have done enough skill grinding against an ostensibly unknown requrement, see the skill go off, not die, kill the mob, and then it was still RNG.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

spent several hours helping a friend get disseverment off of one particular dagger-wielding aern spawn in al'taieu like fifteen years ago

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I wish every MMO would let me click on a NPC or quest object and have my character auto move towards it like LOTRO does.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

OhFunny posted:

I wish every MMO would let me click on a NPC or quest object and have my character auto move towards it like LOTRO does.

there were a few perfect world type games you clicked the quest list and it took you right there., like you barely needed to play the game.

a drink or two
Oct 21, 2008
Hello thread, there was some interest in DAoC a while ago so just a heads up that Eden (the best/only freeshard, and much bigger than the sad thing that is live daoc) is launching season 2 this Saturday (2 December). It's the first time a server is properly trying seasons but (a) it more or less just replicates the previous cycle where everyone starts on a new freeshard every few years and (b) the only things being rolled over are not particularly important for new players.

Launch of a server/season is definitely the best time to try the game and there should be tons of action to be had, in particular levelling groups and low-level pvp in the battlegrounds. The server is really great too.

How to play: https://eden-daoc.net/how-to-play
Discord: https://discord.gg/eden-daoc
Here's a video of classes if you're interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXw60TZQWqw

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Meskhenet posted:

there were a few perfect world type games you clicked the quest list and it took you right there., like you barely needed to play the game.

FWIW, what he's talking about, is not really anything like auto-play. It just helps when you think you're close enough but you're not, you click it, instead of nothing happening, you'll scoot up a little to it automatically and it'll then trigger the click.

It makes the game feel much smoother.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
We were talkinga bout SOEmote earlier

So enjoy early vtubin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoyteUvwixQ

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

xZAOx posted:

FWIW, what he's talking about, is not really anything like auto-play. It just helps when you think you're close enough but you're not, you click it, instead of nothing happening, you'll scoot up a little to it automatically and it'll then trigger the click.

It makes the game feel much smoother.

yeah thats exactly what i am talking about too.

The quests popped up in a little box like standard. You hit the move to button, and your character auto pathed there.

you had to press the buttons when you got there

Edit - OMG they put that in perfect world itself a bit later too now im reading it.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Third World Reagan posted:

We were talkinga bout SOEmote earlier

So enjoy early vtubin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoyteUvwixQ

LMAO I remember when they announced that. They spent so much time wondering if they could do it, that no one bothered to wonder if they should do it

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
So season 9 of ascension launches a week from today and there was an overview that came out today. They say that (ironically) over the last 7 years they've gradually nerfed all the synergies you'd expect from classless wow in order to balance pvp but with this season they're retargeting those nerfs at pvp so they should work once again

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I'm actually really pumped about the new ascension season even though I haven't played it in a really long time. There are stress tests at 8am pacific both days this weekend to try things out. In particular, they're going back to full wildcard as the primary playstyle for the season (with the exception that the first 4 abilities are frontloaded at level 1 with a lot of assistance for getting precisely what you want for them). However:

* Talents are also full-random, and they hand out reroll certificates frequently.
* A lot of the buildcrafting has in recent years been moved into epic & legendary "enchants" that tend to key you into particular builds. These are dead, with the sets of bonuses they gave you having been split into even more abilities and talents in the random pool.
* Broadly speaking most of the restrictions, downsides, and pidgeonholing has been eliminated, with a ton of bonus synergies being added. For instance stuff that used to give bonuses to like 3 specific bleed abilities will now apply to "your bleed effects". The goal seems to be for everything to be completely insane at all times.
* They've added an infinite level-scaling dungeon that works like diablo 3 greater rifts that allows any number of players from 1-10 and has some allowance for arbitrary party compositions. Loot scales all the way up to top end raid gear.
* They've doubled down on level-scaling they added previously. Monsters outside the starter zones will all scale up all the way to 60 now. Additionally every dungeon in the game scales all the way down to 15. P If you haven't played in awhile there's been some amount of level scaling that was originally added so people could finish quest storylines at the game's accelerated XP rates. Additionally dungeons scaled all the way up to 60 to allow people leveling through dungeons to consistently find parties, but this resulted in low level dungeons getting played way more often than high level ones. Now low level players can full-random LFD. Frankly LFD scaling is kind of a joke to a point where everyone leveling through dungeons is getting power-leveled, but people seem to like it like that. With the "XP hotspots" on the map and everything else it seems like they want you to be able to level wherever you want at this point.
* They've added a new play mode where every monster in the open world is an elite and they drop dungeon quality gear with an adjustable difficulty level.

I'm just really excited for how insane and stupid this is going to be.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I made a new thread for Ascension WoW since the old OP was out of date. Posting here in the hopes that other jaded MMO gamers will try it out.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4050021

It's a radically different take on WoW and it is very fun to cook up different builds to smash mobs with flashy new abilities, procs, and lots of synergies.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Diephoon posted:

I made a new thread for Ascension WoW since the old OP was out of date. Posting here in the hopes that other jaded MMO gamers will try it out.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4050021

It's a radically different take on WoW and it is very fun to cook up different builds to smash mobs with flashy new abilities, procs, and lots of synergies.

Well this finally got me to install it. I'd heard whispers about it for years and poked at the website a couple times but with Season of Discovery getting me into Classic for the first time, now I'm intrigued to take it one step further into the chaos of character building. Nice job!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

This video is hitting close to home and I don't know if I've even ever watched another video from the creator before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq70YG0Ocq0

TLDR: A lot of interesting social talk about how MMOs and those who play them have changed. He goes deep into design, how tools have changed things (like discord), and a bunch of other stuff that hits close to home in how I always tend to feel 'lonely' even in MMO games that are centered around group play. Hits close to home for me since I have some sort of online social anxiety that is somehow worse than real-life social anxiety. In spite of this, I have always loved MMOs and other online games.

Some good comments too which is shocking for youtube comments.

Gymp
Dec 9, 2003

drat Dirty Ape posted:

This video is hitting close to home and I don't know if I've even ever watched another video from the creator before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq70YG0Ocq0

TLDR: A lot of interesting social talk about how MMOs and those who play them have changed. He goes deep into design, how tools have changed things (like discord), and a bunch of other stuff that hits close to home in how I always tend to feel 'lonely' even in MMO games that are centered around group play. Hits close to home for me since I have some sort of online social anxiety that is somehow worse than real-life social anxiety. In spite of this, I have always loved MMOs and other online games.

Some good comments too which is shocking for youtube comments.

There needs to be more systems like the Asheron's Call patron/vassal system.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I definitely agree that patt of what sold mmos was as a primary means of social engagement, but I don't think the popularity of discord has as much to do with the decline of being social as he thinks. He even touches on why I feel the current flavour of mmo is lonely in the video, at least in part. It's necessity. Or the lack there of. FFXI makes my antisocial and anxious rear end be social because if I am not, I just won't play the loving game. The world is brutal and it sucks, and it will cause you harm in how much it wastes your loving time and punishes you. And it's all the pain that made it so memorable and made the social glue work. The game abused the hell out of everyone who played it, so everyone there knew the pain. They also knew how great it felt to beat what the game was throwing at you and the way to do that was in a group because you couldn't do it alone.

Meanwhile take FFXIV, as a more direct sequel and because people say you can be social in it. XIV has no pain points whatsoever. Everything is smooth and welcoming and piss easy. There is challenge eventually, if that's your thing, but you only find it by purposefully seeking it out. It's all a la carte now. XIV being so easy has let it have a social side of people who don't engage with it as a game but as a TV show, seeing the msq as the current season and then hanging out with friends in the house they built. Maybe you'll be invited to someone's house if you're not in one. But there's also a lot of empty rear end houses in the ward. You're not finding a populated one unless you get lucky or are persistent.

And that's the difference between a modern mmo and classic to me. In a modern game I can play the game alone, so it becomes lonely. In a classic mmo to play the game I have to be social. You give me the choice of course I'd never interact with anyone but my friends, why the hell would I put myself out there? I'm a shut in nerd that's the last thing I want to do. When I have no choice but to do it, it cuts through my anxiety and it doesn't feel like an extra thing I'm doing but just the process to do what I want, which is level or kill an internet dragon.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Eimi posted:

Meanwhile take FFXIV, as a more direct sequel and because people say you can be social in it. XIV has no pain points whatsoever. Everything is smooth and welcoming and piss easy. There is challenge eventually, if that's your thing, but you only find it by purposefully seeking it out. It's all a la carte now. XIV being so easy has let it have a social side of people who don't engage with it as a game but as a TV show, seeing the msq as the current season and then hanging out with friends in the house they built. Maybe you'll be invited to someone's house if you're not in one. But there's also a lot of empty rear end houses in the ward. You're not finding a populated one unless you get lucky or are persistent.

Yeah I can definitely relate to this. I'm trudging through Endwalker right now and it probably took me way too long but I'm starting to realize it's not the game for me. Like you said, there is only challenge when you purposefully seek it it, but then again, to most of it there doesn't seem to be any purpose. Being social is the whole point, instead of taking part in fun activities that promote being social to succeed at them.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
FF14 feels like a few steps above something like Genshin Impact. That said, it's by far my favorite MMO and I've played dozens. It's does a little bit of everything the other MMOs do and it does so in a really accessible way, it's a themepark MMO at the end of the day. Also, stats don't matter in regular dungeons but when you get to end-game raiding and crafting the stats actually matter.

I think the game really nails the feeling of the old Final Fantasy games in an MMO package

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I played FFXIV and I was pretty much on autopilot until 30 skipping cutscenes all the way and then immediately quit because I couldn't stick with that until I caught up to my friends who got me to play. If your MMO has a main story or plot or whatever I'm following you've hosed up making an MMO in my book.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is there an english release date yet for Throne & Liberty? I know the beta test was overwhelmingly negative even in Korea, but the live release just recently happened and is apparently way better now, and even a good MMORPG now.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

FF14 feels like a few steps above something like Genshin Impact. That said, it's by far my favorite MMO and I've played dozens. It's does a little bit of everything the other MMOs do and it does so in a really accessible way, it's a themepark MMO at the end of the day. Also, stats don't matter in regular dungeons but when you get to end-game raiding and crafting the stats actually matter.

I think the game really nails the feeling of the old Final Fantasy games in an MMO package

Yeah, it just sucks that it takes so long to get to end-game raiding. Like sometimes I was seriously wondering why I’m paying a subscription for this game that was 99% single player.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Groovelord Neato posted:

I played FFXIV and I was pretty much on autopilot until 30 skipping cutscenes all the way and then immediately quit because I couldn't stick with that until I caught up to my friends who got me to play. If your MMO has a main story or plot or whatever I'm following you've hosed up making an MMO in my book.

I agree, that poo poo belongs in a single player game.

Modern mmos are just singer player games with a superficial layer of multiplayer paint slapped on top of them.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i have over 5000 hours in ff14 and less than 500 are in single player content

wontfix: works on my machine, get better friends if they won't play low level content with you

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Truga posted:

i have over 5000 hours in ff14 and less than 500 are in single player content

wontfix: works on my machine, get better friends if they won't play low level content with you

Running back and forth skipping cutscenes with my pals doesn't change much.

Also jesus christ.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

If you're not into the campaign in ff14 then it's really not worth playing

I love it but it's definitely not for everyone

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
if you're gonna skip the story then just don't play it

do you also read only the last 2 pages of every book? lmao

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Truga posted:

if you're gonna skip the story then just don't play it

do you also read only the last 2 pages of every book? lmao

Groovelord Neato posted:

If your MMO has a main story or plot or whatever I'm following you've hosed up making an MMO in my book.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

"I don't care about the main story": cool

"there should be no main story": um

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

by that logic even eve-o is a failure tho

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

ffxiv story owns and urianger is the best part

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Truga posted:

by that logic even eve-o is a failure tho

Can't comment on Eve Online but an MMO's world or expansions having a backstory to them is an entirely different beast than following what is essentially a single player quest loaded with cutscenes. I said they hosed up "in my book" not that this is an objectively true thing. Plenty of people love FFXIV so it did it right in theirs and your book.

Old Republic is another example where I was super bummed when I found out how the game actually functioned I want to be dropped into a world and travel around not be essentially railroaded until a certain point. And I'm sure plenty of people loved what Old Republic did over what Star Wars Galaxies did but to me the latter is doing an MMO right (well...for a time) and the former isn't.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
makes slight criticism of FFXIV

weirdos come out of the wood works to defend their game

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
FF14 is a single player game with hubs where you can see other people, and it also isn't doing itself any favors that the first 100 hours of story are dogshit

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I’ve enjoyed more plot-centric mmos like old republic and lotro but the plots and worlds there were interesting. FF14 didn’t do much for me and I don’t care about catgirl dress up.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Third World Reagan posted:

makes slight criticism of FFXIV

weirdos come out of the wood works to defend their game

"If your MMO has a main story or plot or whatever I'm following you've hosed up making an MMO in my book."

"Personally I didn't mind it."

"Wow, look at these FFXIV weirdos."

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kaysette posted:

FF14 didn’t do much for me and I don’t care about catgirl dress up.

See this is the actual point of FF14. People think its about the story, but its not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Dressing up your characters is the main point of modern MMOs. Collecting mounts, transmog, and pets is what the vast majority of players do, even compared to dungeons/raiding.

I don't have an opinion about that either way, just something I've observed.