Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

lets all burn piles of styrofoam to stick it to the man who is trying to force us to eat bugs and not have freedom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

part of my existential crisis from this year was when we banned single use plastic bags here but replaced them with that plastic-based reusable type of bag that people buy anyway and i realized how hosed we were and how everything was a joke. it turned me into a complete lunatic for like a week and a half

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

i am having a smoke outside on my porch in a pair of shorts. i love this gay dying earth

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

going to be a climate change supporter in the new year. Buying up used tires to add to the burn pile

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

TeenageArchipelago posted:

actually that's a pretty good point, has anyone tried turning the planet off and on again?

Kinda, in 2020. The reboot reduced pollution for a bit but we needed the pollutants in the air to mask how bad warming actually was lmao

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

TeenageArchipelago posted:

going to be a climate change supporter in the new year. Buying up used tires to add to the burn pile

gotta accelerate something

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

cash crab posted:

part of my existential crisis from this year was when we banned single use plastic bags here but replaced them with that plastic-based reusable type of bag that people buy anyway and i realized how hosed we were and how everything was a joke. it turned me into a complete lunatic for like a week and a half

I know exactly what you mean lol. I watched a summer bbq family get a ton of stuff ubered over (already a bit brain cracking) and then quickly toss all the "reusable" plastic nags in the trash lmao

The best part is these new plastic bags seem every bit as frail and lovely as the old ones

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

cash crab posted:

Seems pretty good to me, most people I see are using reusable bags and backpacks now.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

the point of banning plastic bags is so they aren't in every tree, fence, ditch, and waterway

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

i am aware of that part. for me it's the fact that it's still plastic bags being manufactured and everyone goes "wow this is great for the environment" because we don't count the manufacturing and shipping of articles as part of the pollution we produce.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Gotta start somewhere

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

We banned styrofoam in seattle like 20 years ago and i honestly forget people still use that garbage a lot.

Re: bags

I started only using my own bags at the grocery store in like 2005 because it was more comfortable to carry my own totes on the bus and such and then we banned plastic bags here anyway. At the time whole foods or whatever had these great 99c bags that were recycled plastic but holy gently caress did they hold up. I only just this year had to throw away the first one i bought because it finally tore.

Anyway you never see plastic bags in the environment here anymore. Nothing in the creek. Nothing in the gutters. Nothing at the beach.
Ive got this one garbage neighbor who throws all his car trash into the bushes ala tonytone and even he cant hurt poo poo too much. Mostly ends up being paper coffee cups and some aluminum cans which are easy enough for a non poo poo human to clean up

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 18:53 on Dec 28, 2023

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I went on vacation last month to countries that are much more clean. The first thing I noticed on the drive back from the airport was all of the plastic bags and other trash scattered about every fallow field I went past. lol lmao

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

WaryWarren posted:

I went on vacation last month to countries that are much more clean. The first thing I noticed on the drive back from the airport was all of the plastic bags and other trash scattered about every fallow field I went past. lol lmao

I know that it looks dirty but corn in particular actually evolved to need micro plastics. It's just fertilizer.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

WaryWarren posted:

this land is my land, this land is your land
from the plastic bag floats
to the shredded pop cans

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
I think what it comes down to is a plastic bag ban works if you are for real about it, not just going "it's ok so long as you make them 2-ply"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Thermometers ring, are you listening?
In the lane, grass is glistening
A beautiful sight
We're happy tonight
Walking in a winter wonderland

Still around is the bluebird
Here to stay is a new bird
To sing a love song
While we stroll along

In the meadow, we can build a sand castle
We'll pretend that he is Parson Brown
He'll say, are you married?
We'll say, no man
But you can do the job when you're in town

Later on, we'll conspire
As we dream by the AC
To face unafraid
The plans that we've made

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
To be fair the plastic bag ban is some serious bullshit

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Over 99% of plastic bags are made from plastic

kater
Nov 16, 2010

so what gets used for takeout instead of styrofoam? I assume it’s worse just as a matter of course.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
Plastic-coated cardboard :newlol:

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Seriously all of this is for nothing if you just replace bags made from oil with bags made from trees

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I hope they ban plastic nip bottles next or maybe just get rid of open container laws so people might stop throwing all their liquor bottles out the window

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

I refuse to believe that the solution to humans not putting garbage in the proper place is to remove garbage from the equation. People literally just need to pull up their pants and stop littering

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Burlap is the ideal bag material but have you ever tried to hyperventilate into one? Not satisfying.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

kater posted:

so what gets used for takeout instead of styrofoam? I assume it’s worse just as a matter of course.

Seattle went to all compostable takeout containers like 5? years ago and some of it is literally just that formed cardboard stuff, chinese food take out boxes, some of it is that sort of bullshit "commercially compostable" coated stuff but we have full composting with all garbage service here so it makes a bit more sense.

I actually throw most of it into my actual compost when I get take out containers and it works well enough. The weird corn plastic stuff has to go into the city compost though.

The time between when we banned styrofoam 20 years ago to the compostable law though it was just mostly cardboard and plastic. the cardboard is fine. The plastics just got changed.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 21:18 on Dec 28, 2023

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

cash crab posted:

theres like 40 disposable plastic bags worth of plastic in each reusable

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Dokapon Findom posted:

I refuse to believe that the solution to humans not putting garbage in the proper place is to remove garbage from the equation. People literally just need to pull up their pants and stop littering

i see you've never actually met a human

i rather envy you these days

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

mags posted:

2024 is gonna kick rear end

I'd say :coolzone: but it won't be very cool, even in the winter.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Real hurthling! posted:

theres like 40 disposable plastic bags worth of plastic in each reusable

i have 2 i've been using for 13 years. the bottoms just started tearing out but using a shopping cart was a temporary fix for that.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I like paper grocery bags because I use them to collect compost and yard clippings

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

kater posted:

non-expanded polystyrene

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the plastic bag ban worked really well in Hawaii too. like usual there were a bunch of insane hyperbolic doomsayers endlessly pontificating about how it was a mixture of dystopian authoritarianism and also a pointless waste of time, but in the end there is a very noticeable change to the quantity of trash pretty much everywhere.

there’s still the problem of plastic beaches and the ocean is slowly gobbling up the shoreline as it rises steadily and all the coral and most endemic species are dead, but at least theres less of one particular type of trash.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
oh and the navy poisoned the water supply by dumping jet fuel in it

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

crepeface posted:

heat is used to turn water to steam to turn turbines to generate electricity OP

kinda late but I feel like you might not know how heat engines work

after the steam exits the turbine, then what has to happen to the exhausted steam?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rauros posted:

i have 2 i've been using for 13 years. the bottoms just started tearing out but using a shopping cart was a temporary fix for that.

yeah but many get a new one every time they go and throw them away

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Oldest Man posted:

I like paper grocery bags because I use them to collect compost and yard clippings

they rule

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

The Protagonist posted:

after the steam exits the turbine, then what has to happen to the exhausted steam?

Use it to operate a series of rube Goldberg cartoon devices that make like 1 cup of tea

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

The Protagonist posted:

clean steam™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Rauros posted:

A helpful reminder: wipe them with a disinfecting wipe or spray or wash them in warm soapy water. Just remember to do this after every use, with no exceptions. The plastic bags should be air dried.