Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

HolHorsejob posted:

The outlet box sitting on the paper they were too lazy to throw away is just :discourse:

Those are manuals and you might need them one day! You can't just throw them away. Especially the ones in languages you don't read or speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

One of the Airbnbs I stayed at in NYC had walls made from single layer plywood and bunks constructed from scrap 2x4s. It looked like a squat. Supremely cursed place.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
gently caress air bnbs, skirting hotel taxes and they try to make you clean up at the end of your trip and still charge insane fees

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

One of the other Airbnb’s I stayed at was a commune in the West Virginia highlands. When the host was showing us around, I noticed her stepping very intentionally around one area of the footpath. The next day it was raining, and I noticed that spot was where someone had run electrical lines to several outbuildings. The line was not buried, it was just laying on the ground, and was spliced with wire nuts and nothing else. At least someone put some big rocks there so you could hop over it easily.

It was a very special place and I think they just used Airbnb as a no fuss way to rent out their spare buildings to generate funds. I wish I had the money to donate to them to fix their electrical.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

wesleywillis posted:

Print out pictures of the goatman and leave them in various places where you find subpar workmanship.

I should do this when I do work around my place so whoever lives there next can be extra mad at me.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Uthor posted:

I should do this when I do work around my place so whoever lives there next can be extra mad at me.

Crappy Construction: My PO Goatsed Me

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Goated with the GFCIs

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Platystemon posted:

Goated with the GFCIs

2/10 no ring mains

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

kreeningsons posted:

It was a very special place and I think they just used Airbnb as a no fuss way to rent out their spare buildings to generate funds.

As opposed to all other bootleg landlords who do it for fun and not profit

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Platystemon posted:

Goated with the GFCIs

Goatse
Fisting
Cock
Insanity

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
Stayed at a place that my brother in laws friend owns for a few days and found a couple things like this big wooden box in the living room.

It's how you block off a staircase apparently.

There is also this nice balcony

The railings were only 70cm tall.
I don't know about the average goon but for me it was just above knee height and perfect for tripping over, the wet slippery tiles don't help much either.
:edit forgot to add there are no returns for the central air in any of the bedrooms so you have to sleep with your door open.

coldpudding fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Dec 27, 2023

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hoping that someone in here has some random knowledge about this. Cement trucks rotate their poo poo one direction to keep it from setting, and the other direction to offload cement. This means that when they're not empty there is considerably more weight on one side of the vehicle due to the cement riding up the wall of the container. Do they run higher springrates on that one side?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've always assumed it's like an Archimedes screw inside. To unload it rotates in a way that pulls the cement out, and the other way just sort of keeps pushing the cement down, but it's still basically evenly distributed from side to side.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They spin anticlockwise in countries where they drive on the left, so that on roads sloped away from their centerlines to shed water, the heavier side is uphill.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Platystemon posted:

They spin anticlockwise in countries where they drive on the left, so that on roads sloped away from their centerlines to shed water, the heavier side is uphill.

On the one hand that sounds perfectly reasonable, and on the other hand it sounds like a joke - and I genuinely can't decide.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Computer viking posted:

On the one hand that sounds perfectly reasonable, and on the other hand it sounds like a joke - and I genuinely can't decide.

Mnemonic for drivers:

Keeping the drum turning towards the stars keeps the concrete off the cars.

(When viewed in the driver’s side mirror.)

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Computer viking posted:

This was exactly my reaction. Still unsure.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

In Australia, cement mixers are used for demolition, to un-pour and recycle concrete.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Platystemon posted:

But what about in the southern hemisphere?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Platystemon posted:

Keeping the drum

turning towards the stars

keeps the concrete

off the cars.
Burma-Shave

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you're looking for an amusing yet mildly expensive party trick Amazon sells a water tight RC cement mixer that holds about 1 liter of spirits liquid and can rotate in one direction to mix, rotate in the other direction to dispense. Use this information responsibly. Definitely don't use this to mix margaritas

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

VelociBacon posted:

Hoping that someone in here has some random knowledge about this. Cement trucks rotate their poo poo one direction to keep it from setting, and the other direction to offload cement. This means that when they're not empty there is considerably more weight on one side of the vehicle due to the cement riding up the wall of the container. Do they run higher springrates on that one side?

I don't think the spin is to prevent settings, but for mixing. As far as I understand it, the formula is set based partially on the drive time, tossed in and mixed under way.

I can't imaging in spins fast enough to actually run concrete up one side. I'd bet that sort of imbalance is more of a problem with something more viscous like plane old water. Concrete in liquid form is gonna stay at the bottom, where as a slight turn or incline is gonna have water really out of balance.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

There's a kind of archimedes screw inside the drum walls so the concrete is evenly distributed on the truck/road and during mixing/pouring. The slow spin on the road is to keep it from setting, then when they get to the site they'll crank up the speed and mix for a minute before changing the spin direction to place it (or after they add water to the mix to make it weaker easier to work with).

e: ^^^ It's mixed at the plant, not along the way. The mixer works way harder/faster than the truck could, and it's elevated so the truck just drives under and gets loaded.

Dance McPants fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 28, 2023

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Hadlock posted:

Definitely don't use this to mix margaritas
Seriously, you'd be lucky to hit 1/4 MPMs with a setup like that even after modding.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Tunnel lady finally got tracked down and the zoning department issued an immediate stop work order upon doing an inspection for un-permitted construction:

https://www.tiktok.com/@engineer.everything/video/7317787448350706987

She had no permits and was doing it in a residential suburb in VA (rumor is in the DC metro region somewhere). "Finding out" has begun.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm sure it will be easy and no big deal like she suggests, she's an engineer* after all.

*software engineer

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
R.I.P. tunnel dream, felled by shoddy opsec.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

"Shouldn't be too hard to get the permits" well then why didn't you get them ahead of time eh?

Also lol at the staged "first call" she got. Complete with exterior footage of her pulling off the road.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
She should have put huge, red, flashing *DRAMATIC REENACTMENT* text on the screen. It would have added to the ambiance anyway.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Filing permits for construction of the CNN tunnel fortress graphic, under DC.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

their accent is baffling

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

Tunnel lady finally got tracked down and the zoning department issued an immediate stop work order upon doing an inspection for un-permitted construction:
At least Furze has permits for his tunnels. Or so he claims.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I live in Lincolnshire, and I can't imagine the councils around here being too bothered by furze's underground garage. He seems to be within the UK building regs and his build isn't going to alter the appearance of his house. Also, he's famous around here: there's no way he'd be dumb enough to try flying under the radar when every one of his mad projects makes the local news. I'm willing to bet that furze has done this by the book, despite his rebel aesthetic.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Azza Bamboo posted:

[…] every one of his mad projects makes the local news.

Now there's something to aspire to.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

If she actually is in the DC metro area she's going to be extra hosed because the region recently had an amateur-tunneling related disaster which keeps getting brought back into people's consciousness due to the house owner's continued legal fight against jail time for a manslaughter conviction.

The circumstances are different but the various code enforcement agencies are not going to be inclined to go lightly on her hijinks.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

bobua posted:

I don't think the spin is to prevent settings, but for mixing. As far as I understand it, the formula is set based partially on the drive time, tossed in and mixed under way.

I can't imaging in spins fast enough to actually run concrete up one side. I'd bet that sort of imbalance is more of a problem with something more viscous like plane old water. Concrete in liquid form is gonna stay at the bottom, where as a slight turn or incline is gonna have water really out of balance.

This post is so confusing. Water is more viscous than concrete?

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
No, no - not just water, plane old water! That plane in there might make all the difference.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

KoRMaK posted:

their accent is baffling

Seriously, someone explain that part. It totally ruins my immersion.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Azza Bamboo posted:

I live in Lincolnshire, and I can't imagine the councils around here being too bothered by furze's underground garage. He seems to be within the UK building regs and his build isn't going to alter the appearance of his house. Also, he's famous around here: there's no way he'd be dumb enough to try flying under the radar when every one of his mad projects makes the local news. I'm willing to bet that furze has done this by the book, despite his rebel aesthetic.

He addressed this in a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_ESR5zoGYQ&t=1103s
Short version is that he didn't have permission when he started but someone finally got wise to it around 5 videos into the project and sent an inspector out and made him get real plans to submit, which worked out because they're more accurate now that he's seen how things are under the house.

If anyone is wondering what his neighbors think of all this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNSHNXCeir8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
If left-right imbalance in concrete mixers was a big deal, I’d expect manufacturers to have a lot of stuff in their marketing about how the 1240 models come a unique ActiveBalance technology that reduces rotary imbalances by 23%, and I don’t really see that. I think they just expect the suspension on a medium/heavy truck to be able to take care of it. Concrete trucks are unsteady, but that’s mostly because the weight is constantly moving around, not because it rides up in the drum a bit.