Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

VideoGames posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAYLJ19cxoA
There is no reason a piece of music in a Mario game should go this hard, this late in the game and it does and it did and I am thankful it exists. I had to stop and just listen for a few minutes because I never expected something this funky to appear. the rest of the OST is a solid but not as memorable as some of the others I have experienced, so this was an incredible surprise and joy and has been replayed the most out of all VGM I have heard this year.

My king of "Why is this song in a Mario Bros game and why is it going so insanely hard" is In The Final from Bowser's Inside Story
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faA3IMDbb5I

Though in terms of amazing songs I want to recommend like half the playlist from Small Saga, one of my nominees for the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp4GnFE4GUc

Though if I had to pick the song that most stood out to me it would be The Anthropocene, which goes wayyyyyyy too hard for a game about rodents fighting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25YGb1JX9bQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Looks like a whole lot of illegal list posting going on in here :cop:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

VideoGames posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j7pu9RlOUY
It was a tough choice between this and the first place. This piece of music is so powerfully affecting that I hear it and instantly recall the great vibes I felt throughout the whole of my time playing. It, and the rest of the soundtrack, is one for the ages.

Oh hell yeah

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Rarity posted:

Looks like a whole lot of illegal list posting going on in here :cop:

If only you were the thread OP.
I say embrace the chaos ;)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
You'll be the OP and you'll like it buster :mad:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Though if I had to pick the song that most stood out to me it would be The Anthropocene, which goes wayyyyyyy too hard for a game about rodents fighting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25YGb1JX9bQ

dude... that's sick

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

My king of "Why is this song in a Mario Bros game and why is it going so insanely hard" is In The Final from Bowser's Inside Story

Captain Invictus posted:

allow me to enhance and/or ruin the dark world theme for you forever

These were both excellent :) Thank you.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

That's way too much Nintendo music. The 90s edgelord in me is getting upset!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Well veeg did play mostly Nintendo games this year. I did inform him that 2024 will be the Year of the RPG from Japan so I expect him to act accordingly

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Well veeg did play mostly Nintendo games this year.

I know, a horrible state of affairs. :hmmno:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

fridge corn posted:

2024 will be the Year of the RPG from Japan

The Year of the RPG from Japan comes back around faster than I expect every time :sweatdrop:

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

You're telling me the Dark World isn't edgy enough for you??

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Veeg's Year of the PS3 FPS.

Wherein he plays nothing but games like HAZE and Timeshift.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Wet starring Rubi Malone is the 360/PS3 shooter of the year every year tpd (third person Dushku)

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

GAMES! GAMES GAMES!

One of my favorite threads of the year and I read every post. There are so many great games... I play video games a lot but am still disappointed that I don't get to play more of them.

I managed to play 36 games from my massive backlog this year. I've collected way too many games from PlayStation Plus, Xbox Gold/Gamepass, Humble Bundle, Fanatical, and other sales. Every game I played I acquired either cheap or from a game subscription service. With such a big game backlog, I fear "ruining" the older game experience with newer games. (i.e. - Will anyone go back and play Halo 5 after playing Halo Infinite?) So I have a general philosophy of playing through my backlog in reverse order of release date. There are some exceptions, but that's my list looks so weird compared to the rest of you. Sea of Stars is the only game I've played that was actually released in 2023. I may regret this approach when I'm on my deathbed and didn't get a chance to play any games released in the past seven years, but for now I'm playing a lot of games released in the 2015 era. This is year I stopped playing games on my PS3 though. The load times just became unbearable compared to new hardware. I appreciate the backward compatibility of current console gen.

I'd also like to give credit to the excellent grouvee.com site. It's basically like Goodreads for video games (without the bad parts of Goodreads) and has been essential for keeping track of my games and what I played. All games were played on either PS5, Xbox Series X, or Steamdeck. So my top 36 games played in 2023...

36. Thrillville: Off the Rails
Very much an early Xbox 360 game. Part theme park manager, part roller coast builder, and part minigame collection. None of them are done particularly well, but the minigames are decent to play through once. Awful music and voice acting.

35. Worms Battleground
I remember enjoying a Worms back in the day. This game, not so much. The campaign is slow and clunky. What is the point of making players wait for their computer opponent to think in a turn-based game? The levels are not that well designed for worms-style. I kept thinking I'd rather be playing a 2D platformer. Of course, that's not really what the core of Worms is about. I'm sure the skirmish mode would be more fun. However, there is no skirmish mode against bots and no one is playing this online anymore.

34. Goat Simulator
Fun to mess around with for a couple hours, but I'm glad I didn't pay for this.

33. Far Cry 4
The only other Far Cry I've played before this is Blood Dragon, which I loved. Far Cry 4 started great. A good villain, an awesome setting in the Himalayas, and tons to do and explore. I got about 6-7 hours into what seems like a huge game and quit though. It's unfortunate hunting is such a large aspect of the game because I hate that part. I don't like killing animals, even if they are virtual. At one point I found myself blasting down an innocent wild deer that was just standing there so I could craft an increase to my wallet size. It felt gross and I turned off the game there.

32. A Memoir Blue
This isn't much of a game and is more of a "click a few places to move along the story" type of experience. The art is nice but the story didn't feel as impactful as they were going for, which is important because this game is supposed to be all about the story. This isn't really my style of game, but some people will like it more. It was a relaxing chill game to play for its one hour experience while I recovered from an illness. It feels like it would have made for a good VR game.

31. TMNT: Shredder's Revenge
Great use of the TMNT license and a competent beat 'em up. This is a stale genre though and button mashing is only fun for so long.

30. Juju
Cute 2.5D platformer that seems like it's designed for kids. It's not super original, but it is fully competent.

29. Castlevania: Harmony of Despair
I like the Castleviania vibe... the monsters, the items, weapons, and the heavy rock music with organs. The look of the levels is great and I love how you can zoom out and view the entire map. However, this game was much too hard to me. I died a lot and did the grind over and over to improve my items and still had a difficult time. Some parts definitely seemed designed for co-op and I was playing single player. Maybe that was my problem? I wish there was an easy mode so I could enjoy it more.

28. Black Mirror
No, this isn't a game based on the Netflix series. This isn't the 2003 point and click adventure game either, although it is based on that. It's like a point and click adventure brought into the modern age. You wonder around a spooky Scottish mansion in the 1920's trying to unravel the sordid past of your ancestors. The graphics, story, and characters are good enough. The load times are very noticeable even on a PS5. Glad I didn't play it on something slower. Controls are clunky but still workable. Unfortunately, it still has some of the downsides of the old adventure games. You have to keep revisiting rooms you already visited and trying different combinations of actions until you can get something new to happen. It's a bit slow and lacking in the fun department.

27. Q.U.B.E. Director's Cut
First person puzzler similar to Portal. I enjoyed the cool mysterious atmosphere, but usually I get stuck on puzzle games at some point and quit. Surprising it wasn't a puzzle that stumped me this time. It was a platforming jump that I found impossible to complete.

26. Sea of Stars
I'm disappointed I didn't like this more. It felt like a true homage to 16-bit JRPGs and probably better than most that came out in that era. The pixel art is top notch and music is well orchestrated. In a way, I feel like I've sadly aged out of this genre. The characters and dialog feel like it was meant for kids. The gameplay is very linear, the combat slow and not particularly challenging, and the scrolling dialog scenes left me impatient. None of that is very unusual for the genre. I'm sure I would have loved this game as kid and I can understand why others give it positive review now. It's just not the type of game I want to sink many hours into at this point of my life though.

25. Jett: The Farshore
I'm a gaming nerd who will still read print gaming magazines, and Jett was on the cover of Edge a few years back. That initially got my attention. Jett reminds me of that Exo One game where you fly a UFO around over water, with slightly more objectives. It can be a rather serene experience to just cruise around with your Jett. You can scan various fauna and rock formations to get more info about them and discover new landmarks. There is a story about humans landing on a new planet and exploring it that gets told via some lengthy dialog. They speak in their alien language so you have to read the subtitles, which can be a challenge to do when you are in the midst of action. The biggest issue is lack of clear mission objectives at times. It's a large map and I often found myself aimlessly flying around trying to understand what I'm supposed to do.

24. Everhood
Original game best described as a rhythm based Undertale.

23. Rayman 3
This is a 2003 game, but I played the HD release from 2012 that upped the resolution to 720p and 60 FPS, then played that on Xbox Series X which adds auto-HDR. Kind of wild. A throwback to the old 3D platformers obviously. Smaller self-contained levels and a camera that you frequently have to fight with. I enjoyed the old school charm and super colorful art style. The color scheme reminds me a little of the old Unreal Tournament. Rayman is such a goofy and fun character with his lack of arms and legs. However, the other characters are kind of annoying and all of the voice acting is awful. Fun time overall, I wish the 3D platformer genre was more popular these days.

22. Simulacra
A really interesting concept for a game. You find someone's lost cell phone and get to peer into their lives, chatting with friends, viewing their videos. You mess around the phone and work through some light video while viewing a few live action videos and trying to figure out a horror mystery. I played this on Steamdeck, but this would be a good phone or tablet game too.

21. Yoku's Island Express
A fun combination of pinball and metroidvania. Great artwork and I enjoyed unlocking new areas of the map. Unfortunately, a lot of backtracking is required and I eventually got to a point where I couldn't figure out what else to do to unlock new areas. I would have liked to continue it, but it's not the type of game that lends itself well to a walkthrough.

20. The Vanishing of Ethen Carter
An enjoyable and short walking simulator through an abandoned and scenic area. I liked exploring the forest, rundown buildings, and caves. I'm not sure I really understood the story, but it had an interesting Lovecraftian theme. A few times I had to look up what to do next on a YouTube walkthrough, so slight knock down for that. The creepy atmosphere made it worthwhile though.

19. Life is Strange
I thought Gone Home would be the most emo game I've ever played. Then I played Life is Strange.

18. Entwined
Chill game... reminds me a little of Tempest or Rez, but no shooting. It's not overly challenging and it can get kind of repetitive, but it's a gameplay loop that I didn't mind repeating as it can put you in a zen-like state with its graphics and music. Entwined feels like it would be a great candidate for a VR game

17. ReCore
This game wasn't received very well when it came out, but it's been patched into a better state since. It's a pretty fun game where you travel around blasting bad robots with your robot pals while jumping around platforms. I'm always a sucker for the art style of glowing crystals in caves. The end game is poorly designed and is locked until you backtrack and replay previous sections. Good up until that point.

16. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II
First off, the name is confusing. I guess "Modern Warfare 2" is the original sequel to Modern Warfare and "Modern Warfare II" is the remake of that sequel. Not that it really matters, the storyline in these games isn’t important. I haven't played a Call of Duty in a while and the amount of killing is also a little jarring at first. This one has the option of skipping over the notorious airport slaughter level for "sensitive" gamers. The graphics are great. I feel a little guilty rushing through the game and not taking more time to enjoy the scenery, but the game design is to push you along as fast as possible and give you the shots of adrenalin with big action set pieces. It's good at what it does, but the I prefer FPS that feel less on rails.

15. Leo's Fortune
A delightful little 2.5 side scroller where you play a cute fur ball on his mission to collect this lost gold. Great graphics and soundtrack. I often struggle with puzzle platformers, but this was just the right challenge.

14. Apotheon
A great Metroidvania where you explore and battle Greek gods. Plenty of weapons and an epic soundtrack, but the stand out here is the art style. The game looks like you are playing an animated ancient Greek cave painting or pottery. I encourage you to check it out on YouTube if you haven't seen, it's really unique.

13. Grow Home
A charming little 3D platformer where you play a cute robot that has to climb a giant plant up to his spaceship. As you get to different heights you can cause branches to grow higher and get off on sky islands to explore. I love the simple and clean 3D aesthetics. At only a few hours long it's definitely worth checking out.

12. Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions
Probably my favorite twin-stick overhead arena shooter. Cool cyber-inspired graphics, techno soundtrack is good (although I wish there were more tracks), and super tight gameplay. I love action games where you can "get in the zone", and this is one of those.

11. Alienation
A very competent Sci-Fi isometric twin stick shooter from Housemarque. I was expecting a little more originality but it's still fun to play though. I like that other players can drop into your game and help you play through the level co-op style. There are still plenty of people doing this even seven years after it was released.

10. Styx: Master of Shadows

This reminds me of the Thief games, which I love. Only you play a goblin and it's third person. It's great fun creeping around castles and finding secret passages. The environments are well done and I'm surprised this game hasn't received more attention. This is the dev that should have made the Golem game.

9. The Crew

I spent far more hours on this game then I was expecting. The expansiveness of the open world racing area is amazing, basically the entire United States. Obviously, some areas had to be dropped, but it's awesome how many regions, landmarks, and biomes they fit in. You start out in the boring midwest, then move east, south, and across the country to the west. A nice variety of race types and challenges. The AI drivers are hilariously dumb, but I didn't mind. Very much a game where you can go into a "just one more race or challenge" mindset as the hours go by. The lack of changing cars was a little disappointing, and constantly showing races on your map and other cars that you need DLC or have to pay extra for was annoying. I read Ubisoft is delisting The Crew next year, so I'm glad I played it when I did.

8. Amid Evil

The spiritual successor to Heretic, this was just the type of game I was looking for on my Steamdeck. A throwback high speed FPS with large maze-like levels and plenty of ammo. Nice to have a game updated to remove some of the BS parts of these style of games. (Elevators can't crush you. It has some platforming elements, but falls don't hurt you.) The levels can feel a bit MOD-ish at time without a coherent flow, but overall a fun and creative game.

7. Death's Door

I love the clean look, the isometric graphics, the characters, and exploring the world. It's somewhat too hard for me as there were spots I needed to play over and over. I get that's the point and I did get satisfaction when I finally beat them, but in general I prefer new experiences in games over spending an excessive time mastering one.

6. Halo 5: Guardians

It's amazing how good this eight-year-old game looks. I haven't played Halo Infinite yet, but if someone showed me video of Halo 5 and said it was Halo Infinite, I would believe them. It feels kind of a shame to rush through the levels and not take more time admiring how they look. It features a lot of the hallmarks of Halo games; smooth gun play, the classic Halo weapons, great surround sound and music, and an incomprehensible story. The lack of progression feels a little odd now. You have all the same guns and abilities at the beginning of the game and the end of the game. I wanted to try out the multi-player, but I guess everyone has moved on from that by now.

5. Batman: Arkham Knight

I love the other Arkham games and really looking forward to this one. The incredibly detailed Gotham City is super impressive and a worthy successor to Asylum and Island. The villains are great as always and it's fun how each of them is their own quest. Of course Batman is decked out with all kinds of fun gadgetry to use too. I can understand the Batmobile complaints. I didn't hate it, but I liked the other parts better. Gotham City is too cluttered to making driving around carefree and fun. I managed to complete about 91% of Arkham Knight, leaving some of the Riddler trophies and AR missions behind.

4. Mass Effect 2

I played the first Mass Effect way back on the PS3. I enjoyed it, but the hardware clearly struggled with it. (Those loading times in the elevators almost made me quit a few times.) I'm really glad I waited to play Mass Effect 2 until I got it with the Legendary Edition. It ran flawlessly on the PS5 and holds up well. Some of the facial animations show their age, but this is generally a very good-looking game for something coming out of that era. I liked building up my crew and enjoyed the varied environments and I like the strategy/action fighting component. The game was fairly easily overall. Why did I spend so much time scanning planets for elements I didn't need? For some reason I found that satisfying. I was kind of shocked how easily characters were killed off in the end mission (oops, spoiler alert). Exploring alien planets is one of my favorite gameplay tropes and Mass Effect fits that perfect.

3. Sunset Overdrive

It's great to play a game with such a high fun factor. Traversal is the biggest highlight here as you jump, float, and grind over a packed city. It's a blast just grinding down a powerline, floating over to a building, wall running, bouncing off an air vent, etc. Insomniac took a cue from their Ratchet & Clank games and you get a bunch of crazy guns to use. The missions can get somewhat repetitive and I can understand how the in-your-face style my turn off some, but I enjoyed the unique and colorful style.

2. Outriders

Spent far more time on this game then I was expecting. It's a cross between the Gears of War style action and setting with Borderlands style loot systems, and then add on some super natural abilities too. They also spent quite a bit of time trying to integrate multi-player, but I completely ignored all that and didn't feel set back at all. After a few hours it settles into a nice gameplay loop. Get to a new area, inspect/buy/sell weapons and armor, then progress through sections of the world cover-shooting your way along against monsters and soldiers. It has an okay story, but that's not really why you play this type of game. The graphics are phenomenal and really show off the hardware. Ignore whatever reputation this game got when it was first released, it's a great game now.

1. The Gunk

This has all the things I love. Exploring an alien world, bioluminescent mushrooms, glowing crystals in caves, super colorful fauna, and not overly violent. The Gunk is one of the best-looking games I've ever played. You run around on an alien world sucking up gunk with your vacuum cleaner like. The gunk is also fabulously animated, like boiling tar floating around in the air. Great voice acting and a coherent story. The gameplay isn't groundbreaking, but it's just a fun time.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:stonk: noooo at least let VG play good games. if it's the year of the PS3 shooter, then the Killzone, Resistance, and Uncharted series should be on offer. all are great! except Killzone 1 HD, skip that and stick to the PS3 proper ones.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Grey posted:

1. The Gunk

This has all the things I love. Exploring an alien world, bioluminescent mushrooms, glowing crystals in caves, super colorful fauna, and not overly violent. The Gunk is one of the best-looking games I've ever played. You run around on an alien world sucking up gunk with your vacuum cleaner like. The gunk is also fabulously animated, like boiling tar floating around in the air. Great voice acting and a coherent story. The gameplay isn't groundbreaking, but it's just a fun time.

One of the great things about this thread is sometimes seeing a game pop up as somebody's #1 that I have literally never heard of before in my life. Apparently it is an XBox game but it's on Steam too, and pretty cheap, and it looks quite neat, and has really positive reviews, and I'm flummoxed that it managed to go in completely under my radar.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

One of the great things about this thread is sometimes seeing a game pop up as somebody's #1 that I have literally never heard of before in my life. Apparently it is an XBox game but it's on Steam too, and pretty cheap, and it looks quite neat, and has really positive reviews, and I'm flummoxed that it managed to go in completely under my radar.

Day 1 gamepass and it's just okay in my opinion (and the opinion of critics I read). I only played it because it's by the Steamworld devs

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 29, 2023

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sally posted:

:stonk: noooo at least let VG play good games.

Because he failed the “365 gots in a year” challenge the first game he’s streaming next year is Gollum

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Shinji2015 posted:

5. NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139... (2020) - having missed out on the original NieR and Automata, I decided to give this a go when it became available on PS Plus, and after several dozen hours of game time... I get why Automata is so beloved now, if this is any indication of its quality. Fantastic writing, great gameplay, and some of the best music in a game that I've heard all year all intertwine for an unforgettable experience. I will be playing NieR: Automata in the near future.

The Replicant/Gestalt soundtrack is great but the Automata OST, in my opinion, takes it to an entirely new level. Absolutely fantastic work, with multiple variations of most tracks and some great callbacks to and rearrangements of standout tracks from Gestalt. Oh yeah, and on NG+ every single track gets an additional chiptune version used while hacking.

I died embarassingly to one boss because, when I realized its theme was based on "The Dark Colossus Destroys All" from the original, I got so wrapped up in the music that I forgot to do things like dodge, which is basically the highest praise I can give.

Grand Fromage posted:

6. System Shock remake

System Shock 2 is one of my all time favorites (I may or may not have two computers which are named SHODAN and XERXES), and unfortunately I came to the original System Shock after that and it's just too janky. I couldn't do it. The remake as far as I can tell perfectly captures the original atmosphere and makes it playable to The Modern Gamer, so hell yeah dude.

As much as I love System Shock, naming my computers after the AIs from it just seems a bit too much like tempting fate. I've got durandal, thoth, and traxus, and have had leela and tycho in the past, but not naming any of them SHODAN is a deliberate choice.

Seems to have worked out for you though! So far.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
DAWN OF THE THIRD DAY

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

fez_machine posted:

Day 1 gamepass and it's just okay in my opinion (and the opinion of critics I read). I only played it because it's by the Steamworld devs

lol, I knew someone would poo poo on my pick.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Is there any evidence that The Gunk is inspired by “Todd’s adventure in Slime World?” Maybe they’re nothing alike, that’s just what it made me think of.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I’m cutting it close with my list this year, which is kind of fitting. This year has been one of the hardest years of my life, and I haven’t been able to play as many games as I would have liked. There are a ton of new releases from 2023 that I haven’t been able to play yet that I expect to see on my list next year (hopefully). Things like Baldur’s Gate 3, Mario Wonder and RPG, Spiderman 2, Resident Evil 4 remake, Star Wars Jedi Survivor, Metroid Prime Remastered, Pikmin 4, stuff like that. But I did play enough to put together a decent top 10, so here goes!

10. Resident Evil 0 - GameCube
I bought this game off a goon in SA Mart a couple of years ago and decided to play it in October for Halloween. I didn’t expect to love it going in due to the formula changes 0 is famous for. Things like the removal of the magic item box and having an AI teammate to manage for the entire game. But I ended up beating it and had a great time! It’s definitely not the peak of the series, but it’s a lot of fun if you’re looking for something a little different.

9. Metroid Zero Mission - Game Boy Advance
I’ve been a huge Metroid fan ever since Metroid Fusion found its way to my GBA back in middle school, but despite that I had never actually finished Zero Mission. I had a copy and definitely played it, but for what very reason I just didn’t beat it. I made a point to correct that this year and it was such a good decision. If not for the stealth sections towards the end this might be my favorite game in the series, the rest of the game is just so so so good. Exploring the weird alien world of the game with better controls than Super Metroid is immensely satisfying, it even holds up against modern Metroidvanias.

8. Spiderman Miles Morales - PS5
I picked this up during a sale a while ago but I was waiting until the holidays to play it. If you haven’t played it, it’s set during Christmas time in New York City. It’s essentially 10-12 more hours of Spiderman 2018, so if you liked that you’d almost certainly like MM. I was very impressed with how fast the fast travel system works, but I rarely used it because web slinging is so much fun. I can’t wait to pick up Spiderman 2 in 2024 to get another web slinging hit!

7. Final Fantasy 7 - Switch
Full disclosure, I missed out on FF7 when it was in its heyday. I didn’t have a PSOne and never had a desire to play it despite its reputation. But I decided to give it a try on Switch because of the QOL changes they added, specifically the 3x speed boost. I found a charming adventure, but I don’t think it could have ever lived up to the hype that surrounds it. It does hold surprisingly well, although I don’t really understand wtf Sephiroth was on about. I’m looking forward to playing the Remake and Rebirth, they’re both on my list to play eventually.

6. Mario Kart 8 - Switch
This game was comfort food for my wife and I this year. Every time a new wave of courses dropped we would spend a weekend playing the new levels. My wife isn’t a big gamer and I cherish the moments like that where I get to share my hobby with her. This game is perfect.

5. Resident Evil 8 - PlayStation 5
My exploration of the Resident Evil franchise continued with Village. I didn’t love it as much as I loved 7, but it’s an excellent game in its own right. It’s similar to RE4 in that it feels more like a sick action movie more than a horror experience, and for that I love it.

4. Pikmin 2 - Gamecube
I started playing Pikmin in 2022 and I fell in love with it. Pikmin 2 is one of the best games I’ve ever played, I loved my time with it. I loved the underground cave sections, the levels, the treasures to find. I’m so excited to play 4 after hearing that it’s a return to 2’s design philosophy.

3. Elden Ring - PlayStation 5
I started Elden Ring in 2022 and finished it in 2023. I’m not sure if there’s anything left to say about this game, it rules.

2. Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Wii
Super Mario Galaxy is one of my favorite games of all time, but I never really got into the sequel when it was released. I was in college at the time and I was probably too busy play Call of Duty and Battlefield online with my buddies to give a Wii game much of a chance. I wish I had though because it has supplanted the first Galaxy game as my favorite 3D Mario game. I fully completed it and experienced everything it had to offer. And I wanted more when it was done. Just an unreal experience.

1. Zelda Tears of the Kingdom - Switch
I’ve been looking forward to Tears of the Kingdom since before it was announced. Breath of the Wild is my favorite Zelda game, when it launched it felt like a true next gen experience for an open world. The things that Tears added weren’t things I think ever would have asked for, but they made for another crazy experience. At its core it was more time in one of my favorite game worlds ever, for that alone it was the best game of the year for me.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

The Grey posted:

lol, I knew someone would poo poo on my pick.

nah I can see why you like it. Just wanted to explain why someone might never have heard of it before.

My wholly uncontroversial number 1 will of course attract only complete agreement

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Foul Fowl posted:

it's gonna be BG3 and then zelda and then maybe AC after but maybe something else, i can't remember what were the other popular choices.

I dunno man, the TOTK Stans seem to be overpowering the BG3 Stans ITT.

Might wanna rally some troops if you feel strongly about one of these two games, because the one that takes the throne in the end might shock you.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

https://twitter.com/felghanas/status/1733592286397870458

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

We have three days left to still achieve Slay The Princess sweep

glad to see more people play Teenage Exocolonist since last year though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

BigDumper posted:

4. Pikmin 2 - Gamecube
I started playing Pikmin in 2022 and I fell in love with it. Pikmin 2 is one of the best games I’ve ever played, I loved my time with it. I loved the underground cave sections, the levels, the treasures to find. I’m so excited to play 4 after hearing that it’s a return to 2’s design philosophy.

Hell yeah, pikmin 2 is still my favorite in the series :hfive:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

been feeling very anxious, soon feeling very empty

:mad:

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Honorable mentions:
Baldur's Gate 3 - Me and my three older brothers are playing through this together, and are still in act 1. I expect we'll be finished in 2025.

8. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
This was the first or second game I beat this year, and I had a blast the whole way through. The asteroid mission in particular is one that will stick with me, much like Titanfall 2's time travel mission. I do feel it could have used another mission or two, but that's a minor sin all things considered.

7. Final Fantasy X
I have to say, I enjoyed Final Fantasy X more than I thought I would. The story was excellent, the battle system was enjoyable (though the difficulty curve felt uneven when it came to bosses), and the music was perfect. I wish I had taken notes because I surely had more to say.

6. Strangers of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin
This game is a really excellent realization of a Final Fantasy job system in an action game. Combat feels drat good in this game, and it looks quite nice as well. Jack, while seemingly a meme if all you saw was the announcement trailer, is really an excellent character, and the story is earnest and well-told.

5. Outer Wilds
I don't want to spoil anything about this game for anyone so this will be fairly vague. The central mechanic of this game is very well done, and there are enough threads to pull that I never felt stuck for very long. The music is perfect and I love what the ending did with it.

4. Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
In Breath of The Wild I would often just pick a direction and see what I found. In Tears of the Kingdom I did the same thing, but Nintendo added "up" and "down" as possible directions.

3. Final Fantasy XVI
This is the first Final Fantasy game I've played on release that didn't make it hard for me to love. The combat worked really well for me, and the eikon fights were some of the best spectacle in gaming. The story and Ben Starr's performance were my favorites from this year.

2. Final Fantasy VII: Remake
Everything about this game rules. The music, the character design, and especially the combat system, holy poo poo is the combat system inspired. I will never get tired of hearing Aerith's "I'll show you what I can do" reverb out into the distance as I switch into tactical mode. If Rebirth isn't my #1 game next year I'll be shocked.

1. Disco Elysium
I haven't stopped thinking about this game since I finished it in September. This game made made me think and feel things I didn't think a game could, and was relatable to me in ways I wish it wasn't.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

susan b buffering posted:

8. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
This was the first or second game I beat this year, and I had a blast the whole way through. The asteroid mission in particular is one that will stick with me, much like Titanfall 2's time travel mission. I do feel it could have used another mission or two, but that's a minor sin all things considered.

Yup.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

fridge corn posted:

Well veeg did play mostly Nintendo games this year. I did inform him that 2024 will be the Year of the RPG from Japan so I expect him to act accordingly

though to be fair, stream-wise, they weren't that different

he just played longer PS/PC games and a bunch of short Nintendo games

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

All that time is just failing to do a jump in one room in Xenogears, lol

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

:cheers:

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

been feeling very anxious, soon feeling very empty

:mad:

do you have to pee?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

yeah i need to pee out this post

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

yeah i need to pee out this post

Right with ya. Difficulty: a new game got added 10 minutes ago (thanks to this thread) and I still need to marathon some Rogue Trader to figure out if it goes on this list or next year's.

THEN I'll be ready to ejaculate a post onto the thread.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

bewilderment posted:

We have three days left to still achieve Slay The Princess PIZZA TOWER sweep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

welp