Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

What if Superman married a gorilla would be a pretty dope movie. I'm sure Henry Cavil would be down for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The sorta ideal way to do comic book media is basically like the DCCW or even BtAS/StAS where each series/movie does their own thing more or less independent from the others and only references the others when relevant or in a big silly crossover. When Marvel set up their movie universe, it was done in that same way. Separate movies that hinted but not directly acknowledged each other until the first Avengers came out. Even in phase two, things were still kept largely separated and joined back up in Age of Ultron. Then it started getting a bit muddier and overindulgent. The same could be said about the DCCW after Crisis too (Batwoman's lead and the failed pilots for Arrow spinoffs didn't help as well).

A lot of this "is it canon? is it not canon?" is basically old hat to people used to comic books and retcons and reboots. Ultimately the canon is fluid and whatever the writers and runners say is canon.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Xelkelvos posted:

The sorta ideal way to do comic book media is basically like the DCCW or even BtAS/StAS where each series/movie does their own thing more or less independent from the others and only references the others when relevant or in a big silly crossover. When Marvel set up their movie universe, it was done in that same way. Separate movies that hinted but not directly acknowledged each other until the first Avengers came out. Even in phase two, things were still kept largely separated and joined back up in Age of Ultron. Then it started getting a bit muddier and overindulgent. The same could be said about the DCCW after Crisis too (Batwoman's lead and the failed pilots for Arrow spinoffs didn't help as well).

A lot of this "is it canon? is it not canon?" is basically old hat to people used to comic books and retcons and reboots. Ultimately the canon is fluid and whatever the writers and runners say is canon.

i feel like gunns gonna keep stuff conected but mostly loosely. i wouldnt be shocked if authority in superman movie is created partly because Wallers daughter shot task force x in the head on live tv, so waller wants a new monster team she can control, which i assume doesnt work out.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i feel like gunns gonna keep stuff conected but mostly loosely. i wouldnt be shocked if authority in superman movie is created partly because Wallers daughter shot task force x in the head on live tv, so waller wants a new monster team she can control, which i assume doesnt work out.

There's at least an obvious through-line with the forthcoming Amanda Waller series as basically a season 1.5 of Peacemaker so I'm sure that'll get addressed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I know we're getting that Penguin series in continuity with The Batman this year, but is anything else coming out on TV for DC?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Gangringo posted:

What if Superman married a gorilla would be a pretty dope movie. I'm sure Henry Cavil would be down for it.

So who's playing Superman?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

I know we're getting that Penguin series in continuity with The Batman this year, but is anything else coming out on TV for DC?

There's an Arkham series that is supposedly part of the new DCU but I think that is still super early and has nothing done yet.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

The secret sauce is that Marvel got to the connected universe mine first while also catching lightning in a bottle with RDJ’s Iron Man. DC tried to do it 4-5 years later with Ben Afleck’s Batman.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Additionally to not being the first with a cinematic universe, DC also always had the Donner Superman and Burton/Nolan Batmens hanging over their head. They had successful capeshit movies when Marvel was laughed at on TV and they pathetically caved under the pressure of expectation that brought with it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s amazing WB just lets Batman do its thing and make gobs of money but they have to step on their dick with every other property. Even the bad Batman movies have some fun stuff in them.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
At this point the whole DC universe stuff is so weird and complicated that they should just stop giving a poo poo. Maybe it's already what they're doing, but nothing needs to be "canon". Just have Michael Keaton show up if that Batman serves your story. Or R Pats. Or Christian Bale. If the story is good and the movie is fun, people are going to want to watch it. I would bet dollars to donuts that the people who get weirdly obsessed with canon are a small and extremely vocal minority who really shouldn't be catered to in anyway. If you make a good Batman movie, most people are going to be like "wow, that was a pretty good Batman movie."

I guess Batman was the example of them doing that, but pretend I was taking about Superman or Wonder Woman or w/e

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Professor Beetus posted:

At this point the whole DC universe stuff is so weird and complicated that they should just stop giving a poo poo. Maybe it's already what they're doing, but nothing needs to be "canon". Just have Michael Keaton show up if that Batman serves your story. Or R Pats. Or Christian Bale. If the story is good and the movie is fun, people are going to want to watch it. I would bet dollars to donuts that the people who get weirdly obsessed with canon are a small and extremely vocal minority who really shouldn't be catered to in anyway. If you make a good Batman movie, most people are going to be like "wow, that was a pretty good Batman movie."

I guess Batman was the example of them doing that, but pretend I was taking about Superman or Wonder Woman or w/e

Or even Batman-adjacent stuff. People were scratching their heads why anyone would want to make a Joker movie, but the hook of Taxi Driver/King of Comedy rip-off got people interested and the movie embarrassed WB because they signed away most of the BO because they didn't think it would make much.

I guess the real problem is that WB can't ever not be run by morons.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Grendels Dad posted:

Or even Batman-adjacent stuff. People were scratching their heads why anyone would want to make a Joker movie, but the hook of Taxi Driver/King of Comedy rip-off got people interested and the movie embarrassed WB because they signed away most of the BO because they didn't think it would make much.

I guess the real problem is that WB can't ever not be run by morons.

Personally I want more Birds of Prey movies, because that was a whole helluva lot of fun. Joker was pretty good too. I'm sure they could find a way to do that kind of stuff for other properties that aren't directly related to Batman. Well, if they were competent anyway.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Invalid Validation posted:

It’s amazing WB just lets Batman do its thing and make gobs of money but they have to step on their dick with every other property. Even the bad Batman movies have some fun stuff in them.

Speaking of, has anyone seen Merry Little Batman? Was thinking of tossing it on when I de-decorate.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

swickles posted:

Speaking of, has anyone seen Merry Little Batman? Was thinking of tossing it on when I de-decorate.

It's a cute little thing. Mostly just fun.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

swickles posted:

Lots of fun, well worth your time.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

It’s worth a watch as some cotton sandy stuff but it isn’t amazing. I enjoyed it well enough but it’s a kid’s movie before anything else.

I just want to see Mark Hamill play a life action joker. That seems like it could be entering on several levels.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Gangringo posted:

Superman realistic gritty remake. Clark was just a baby Gorilla that Pa kent thought was an alien because he is an idiot. Supermans powers are you know just being as strong as a gorilla.

No one notices Clark kent is just a gorilla when he has his glasses on. Lex luthour also thinks Superman is an alien, because he is also an idiot.

The movie ends happily after superman easily beats lex luthor into a bloody pulp, then deciding rather than spending it's time upholding truth, justice, and the American way as he has been raised to he would rather move to the jungle and laze about eating bananas all day or what ever.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I’m sold.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tom Tucker posted:

The secret sauce is that Marvel got to the connected universe mine first while also catching lightning in a bottle with RDJ’s Iron Man. DC tried to do it 4-5 years later with Ben Afleck’s Batman.

I’d say it was the 1-2 punch of both RDJ and Sam Jackson, who the DCU is clearly subbing Waller’s character with.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I feel like people oversell the importance of the connected university continuity when there's basically no character arcs or plot connecting any of the movies or TV shows.

I guess there's continuity between BvS-to-Justice League and Suicide Squad-to-Peacemaker, but otherwise it's just a bunch of independant stories but occasionally a Batman or Aquaman appears. You don't have to see another thing to understand the current thing, it literally doesn't matter.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
the prequel movie is p good and John Cena actually gets to act for one scene and def rises to the occasion

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cranappleberry posted:

the prequel movie is p good and John Cena actually gets to act for one scene and def rises to the occasion

sorta on topic of that. I genuinly love how much range cena has in sucide squad. you can see him realize that its all hosed and he just killed flagg and is clearly lost in his own thoughts and then rat catcher grabs the disk and he just snaps back to default mode even though you can tell he doesnt really WANT too. you can see him wrestling with himself to spare rat catcher but he is too hosed up to turn the switch off.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
i never got into comic book movies but i loved the hell out of the suicide squad

as a non comic reader, it felt like a movie based on comics

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

VagueRant posted:

I feel like people oversell the importance of the connected university continuity when there's basically no character arcs or plot connecting any of the movies or TV shows.

I guess there's continuity between BvS-to-Justice League and Suicide Squad-to-Peacemaker, but otherwise it's just a bunch of independant stories but occasionally a Batman or Aquaman appears. You don't have to see another thing to understand the current thing, it literally doesn't matter.

Exactly. If they just kept The suicide Squad/Peacemaker and reset everything else and never mentioned anything, no one say anything or care. Franchises do this all the time, (Horror movie franchises were notorious for it).

Movie audinces aren't stupid. They'll follow. That or they're the type of audience that's permanently confused by everything always anyway, so :shrug:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

dr_rat posted:

Exactly. If they just kept The suicide Squad/Peacemaker and reset everything else and never mentioned anything, no one say anything or care. Franchises do this all the time, (Horror movie franchises were notorious for it).

Movie audinces aren't stupid. They'll follow. That or they're the type of audience that's permanently confused by everything always anyway, so :shrug:

yeah i think the implication is gonna be "the lovely suicide squad movie happened to some degree, a batman and superman exist as do others, also superman movie has a loose ties with the peacmaker show because its fallout from task force x getting shutdown and replaced with the authority or etc". i dont think Gunn is gonna do the "this movie/show leads to this" its gonna be more like how guardians of the galaxy movies tied in with marvel, they show up sometimes in other stuff and also their are some threads from other media in them like thanos showing up in 1".

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah i think the implication is gonna be "the lovely suicide squad movie happened to some degree, a batman and superman exist as do others, also superman movie has a loose ties with the peacmaker show because its fallout from task force x getting shutdown and replaced with the authority or etc". i dont think Gunn is gonna do the "this movie/show leads to this" its gonna be more like how guardians of the galaxy movies tied in with marvel, they show up sometimes in other stuff and also their are some threads from other media in them like thanos showing up in 1".

Gunn has already made a Thing about announcing that the new slate of DC movies will be totally unrelated to anything. It was kinda sad watching him stumble over his own feet to assure everybody that this new stuff that would come out in a few years has absolutely nothing to do with the dreck that comes out... right now, welcome to the premiere of Blue Beetle/Shazam 2/Aquaman 2!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I think it's pretty funny that suicide squad sucked so bad that DC let James gunn do his thing and then just let him call it the suicide squad rather than call it suicide squad 2 or suicide squad: subtitle. Glad they recognized that the concept deserved a do over that could ignore whatever it wanted

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Professor Beetus posted:

I think it's pretty funny that suicide squad sucked so bad that DC let James gunn do his thing and then just let him call it the suicide squad rather than call it suicide squad 2 or suicide squad: subtitle. Glad they recognized that the concept deserved a do over that could ignore whatever it wanted

The fact the his Guardian movies were rightfully popular, critical, and box office success probably helped a lot. Jesus how much did Disney make off just Groot/baby Groot merchandising alone.

Just checked and looked like they're keep The Batman films going as well as just their own independent thing, which again smart movie as why not if it's successful? And yeah looking at a list of all the upcoming DC stuff, it seems like their just going to try and keep things semi-independent for a bit.

https://screenrant.com/dc-upcoming-movies-list-release-dates/#supergirl-woman-of-tomorrow---tba

A more Horror swamp thing with the right director/writer seems like it could be a lot of fun.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://x.com/discussingfilm/status/1766846713917063569?s=46&t=_t3R3O4inwGCyXxW88QslQ

Um…what?

I guess this is because the Justice League shows up at the end of season 1. But this is confusing. Is season 2 a reboot? Is it just a matter of canon not mattering at all on the show? (Most likely this.)

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

So long as Gunn makes more, I don't particularly care if it's Canon to the current universe or not.

If it's like CW DC shows to DC film or A.o.S. to Marvel film, it doesn't matter, just make it good.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

https://x.com/discussingfilm/status/1766846713917063569?s=46&t=_t3R3O4inwGCyXxW88QslQ

Um…what?

I guess this is because the Justice League shows up at the end of season 1. But this is confusing. Is season 2 a reboot? Is it just a matter of canon not mattering at all on the show? (Most likely this.)

who knows or cares.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DCU is really bad, so it doesn't matter.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I said come in! posted:

DCU is really bad, so it doesn't matter.

Yeah, the more they ignore that poo poo, the better. Just do your own weird thing.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah, the more they ignore that poo poo, the better. Just do your own weird thing.

I hope they start ignoring it some day instead of reiterating how totally not connected they are. Like, if that is the only thing news outlets could put in a headline about the next season of Peacemaker, the marketing has hosed up.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

At this point just call it a different show. Peacemaker: Rebirth or something. Otherwise it's going to confuse everyone.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

If Peacemaker doesn’t declare that Superman fucks bald eagles in s2 then James Gunn is a coward.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
what a joke

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
The more I approach middle age, the less I care about canon about a show which is mostly about John Cena being incredibly funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

AceOfFlames posted:

At this point just call it a different show. Peacemaker: Rebirth or something. Otherwise it's going to confuse everyone.

Is it? Like in what way? Peacemaker basically was just it's own off shoot thing anyway, and I'm pretty sure audiences are well used to figuring out if somethings in cannon or not on the fly with all the reboots and failed cinematic universes and what ever DC films have been over the last decade. Particularly the type of audience who are watching something like Peacemaker.

But yeah it not being considered "cannon" sounds good to me. Just let it do whatever.