Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BonoMan posted:

Because it makes them look like trash? And they can probably survive just as healthily without it?

I don't know. Either way got my kids a Switch for Christmas and they cared about it for like 2 seconds and are back to the Xbox with GamePass and their tablets. Womp womp.

Congrats on your new Switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Sounds like my young cousins who got a shiny new PS5 and a switch but went right back to their tablets the next day. Guess the rumors are true and the PS5 has no games and the switch is dead? Gonna have to look into this

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Congrats on your new Switch

Hell yeah. Got Switch Sports and SMB 3D + Bowser's Fury coming today. Then TotK, then Wonder. I got my first few months lined up!

As soon as I say that the 4 year old has grabbed it and is playing Sunshine so who knows.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Lol owned again

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Sunshine is good if you only do the main required content to beat the game and avoid the optional and side content. All the really terrible and annoying stuff is optional.

Yeah to be clear, while I was pleasantly surprised at how Sunshine held up (especially the level design), and intended to do all 120 shines like I just had in Mario 64: Shortly after rolling credits and starting some of the later shines I got frustrated and immediately stopped playing it.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

What in the gently caress

Sunshine was great but Galaxy…that game was next level. The soundtrack alone was lightning in a bottle, the best game soundtrack I’ve ever heard to this day

It’s a better game than Odyssey. There, I said it :colbert:

I need to try it again, I loved Galaxy at release and have beaten it a few times since then, but it was my most recent replay in 2020 where it felt just kind of easy and pointless (although very cool spectacle and like you said, a great soundtrack). Maybe once I power past the first couple dozen stars the gameplay will feel more compelling.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Libluini posted:

For me, the unique experience was playing a game with weird rendered backgrounds, weird music and lots and lots of weird character development. Plus, insane VA and bosses that eventually will have millions of HP, move at lightning speed, and will crush your party over and over and over :v:

It's not a bad game, but it is an acquired taste. Sometimes you just don't like what others like, it's OK. I don't really click with most modern Mario games, despite them being really good. It happens.

So for me it's that the system hasn't been very well explained; I prefer hands-on tutorials as opposed to text boxes saying what to do, and I'm playing other games at the same time so I get easily confused jumping from one to the other. I tried to find a basic primer of how battles work on Youtube but was blasted with lots of spoilers and tips that went way beyond basic battle stuff. I just go into battles and mash attack and win but know there's more to it than that and I'm sure it'll make sense over time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

A friend of mine bought his nephew a Switch. Except he's never owned a Switch so now he's buying the kid a Switch. Pretty solid Christmas gift imo

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Louisgod posted:

So for me it's that the system hasn't been very well explained; I prefer hands-on tutorials as opposed to text boxes saying what to do, and I'm playing other games at the same time so I get easily confused jumping from one to the other. I tried to find a basic primer of how battles work on Youtube but was blasted with lots of spoilers and tips that went way beyond basic battle stuff. I just go into battles and mash attack and win but know there's more to it than that and I'm sure it'll make sense over time.

Some primers for combat in Star Ocean 2, free of spoilers:

-Don't, for the love of all that is holy, set your characters into turn-based mode (they'll just stand around waiting for input, in a RT-battle system)

-Casters are good for buffing and healing, also for the love of all that is divine and good, go into their spell menus and switch off all the spells you don't want them to use

-Just hammer down attack buttons as fast as possible

-Even if it is silly, take the character you're controlling and run away from the enemy and in circles if you're in trouble. You have a healer in your party, right? They'll eventually get around to healing you.

-Some special attacks look really elaborate and impressive, but take far too long. If you're thinking "ugh, is this animation still going???" the enemy will have already murdered your entire party. Also, don't use this special attack.

That's just the basics, but as long as you have all your characters set to auto and keep your healer alive, you'll be set for an astonishingly large amount of the game.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Libluini posted:

Some primers for combat in Star Ocean 2, free of spoilers:

-Don't, for the love of all that is holy, set your characters into turn-based mode (they'll just stand around waiting for input, in a RT-battle system)

-Casters are good for buffing and healing, also for the love of all that is divine and good, go into their spell menus and switch off all the spells you don't want them to use

-Just hammer down attack buttons as fast as possible

-Even if it is silly, take the character you're controlling and run away from the enemy and in circles if you're in trouble. You have a healer in your party, right? They'll eventually get around to healing you.

-Some special attacks look really elaborate and impressive, but take far too long. If you're thinking "ugh, is this animation still going???" the enemy will have already murdered your entire party. Also, don't use this special attack.

That's just the basics, but as long as you have all your characters set to auto and keep your healer alive, you'll be set for an astonishingly large amount of the game.

Forgive me but this all sounds dumb as hell. What's good about the game?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Fun Times! posted:

Forgive me but this all sounds dumb as hell. What's good about the game?

all video games sound dumb if you pair them down to the basics, with the same logic you could ask what's good about a game that's just about jumping on turtles

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Case of the Idol is just murder myster madlibs if you distill it to its most basic parts. you click the screen until you have enough nouns verbs and adjectives to fill in the madlib sheet correctly. wash rinse repeat.

but it's a GOTY

basically, this:

Libluini posted:

all video games sound dumb if you pair them down to the basics, with the same logic you could ask what's good about a game that's just about jumping on turtles

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Sunshine is good if you only do the main required content to beat the game and avoid the optional and side content. All the really terrible and annoying stuff is optional.
Excuse me, chucksters are required. They're also hilarious, as is pachinko

I don't like Sunshine because every playthrough is exactly the same. You have to do those specific episodes and anything additional, be it blue coins or shine sprites, has zero impact on progress.

What I loved about Mario 64, and what I was hoping for from later games, is that you have a set of levels to pick and play around in. You could just completely avoid a third of the worlds in the game and still beat it. If you don't want to do the first episode in a world, you can still get other stars there. Sunshine didn't do that, nor did Galaxy. Galaxy 2 somewhat did with the green stars, but my itch wasn't scratched until Odyssey. Now there's a good game.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Libluini posted:

Appreciate the tips! I'll make sure to adjust the automatic settings and take advantage of the janky running around in circles tactic, a tried but true video game skill

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Sally posted:

Case of the Idol is just murder myster madlibs if you distill it to its most basic parts. you click the screen until you have enough nouns verbs and adjectives to fill in the madlib sheet correctly. wash rinse repeat.

but it's a GOTY

basically, this:

I realize it's not your point but as far as I can tell this game is broken on the Switch. It is very good, but do not buy it on this console.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
lol i thought i was reading the Game of the Year thread. yah i played it for the PC.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Did the thread ever find any good third party docks?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Nintendo Switch thread is the game of the year thread in the same way that the NCAA Football National Championship is the SEC Championship

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Libluini posted:

some of the long ones are still super worth it, like claude's mirror slice (or whatever they retranslated it to in the remake). though really you just want to use pear into peaches on him

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Rugikiki posted:

The genki covert dock is good in my experience if you want something for travel. Though it looks like they don't make it anymore and have a v2 and a mini coming next month I can't vouch for.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Rugikiki posted:

Genki dock good, and works with iPad (Presumably new USB iPhones too) and also Steam Deck too apparently.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Works great with steam deck. Basically any usb c thing I’ve thrown at it has worked.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

jackhunter64 posted:

Genki dock good, and works with iPad (Presumably new USB iPhones too) and also Steam Deck too apparently.

Note that for the deck the covert 2 seems to only do 1080p 60 (the cheaper mini has 4k 30 but only 20w power)

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
Has anyone played Terra Nil? I saw some random article lately about Nintendo releasing the "most chill post apocalyptic game of the year" and looked at the article out of curiosity. I semi like the idea of some kind post apocalypse rebuilding sim game.... but this one just kind of seems to be about building ecosystems and stuff and doesn't interest me as much (much like farming sims and such... I'll devote my time to my own garden and reading about this game just makes me want to get MORE indoor growing stuff.... which also needs to be out of the cat's reach, as she'll eat any plant she can reach)

Thought it seemed interesting, but not really something I could see myself having interest in any time soon with all the other backlog games.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

MaxDuo posted:

Has anyone played Terra Nil? I saw some random article lately about Nintendo releasing the "most chill post apocalyptic game of the year" and looked at the article out of curiosity. I semi like the idea of some kind post apocalypse rebuilding sim game.... but this one just kind of seems to be about building ecosystems and stuff and doesn't interest me as much (much like farming sims and such... I'll devote my time to my own garden and reading about this game just makes me want to get MORE indoor growing stuff.... which also needs to be out of the cat's reach, as she'll eat any plant she can reach)

Thought it seemed interesting, but not really something I could see myself having interest in any time soon with all the other backlog games.

I played it on the phone when it was first released. It looks like a sim/strategy game but it's actually a puzzle game: you're given resources to build structures to terraform the land but need to make sure you use them properly and efficiently - if not, by the end of the level you won't have the resources required to tear down your old structures, and will lose the level.

It's neat, and there's nothing really like it. Takes maybe half an hour to do a level.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I'm going to give it a whirl on Netflix (wtf) on my phone. Just did the first tutorial level and it seems intriguing.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I know we’re nearly in 2024 but the sentence “thanks I’ll try that game on Netflix on my phone” gave me weird feelings

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

man nurse posted:

I know we’re nearly in 2024 but the sentence “thanks I’ll try that game on Netflix on my phone” gave me weird feelings

Same.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

I almost bought Metroid Dread, but decided to try the demo first. I came away with a little more mixed feelings than I expected. Can anyone sell me on why I should or shouldn’t get it?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

runchild posted:

I almost bought Metroid Dread, but decided to try the demo first. I came away with a little more mixed feelings than I expected. Can anyone sell me on why I should or shouldn’t get it?

It's a very good Metroid game with significant challenge in its bosses and streamlined systems, including movement and combat. The map design isn't particularly exciting but it makes for a slick experience that doesn't really get bogged down except maybe one or two places where it's difficult to figure out where to go, but the game's way of signposting where upgrades are makes it very easy to do cleanup.

Honestly one of the best Metroid games (though whether or not it's the best depends on who you ask)

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Thinking about Diddy Kong Racing and while a remake would be great, I'd settle for a new Mario Kart DLC that consisted entirely of DKR tracks.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Tender Bender posted:

Thinking about Diddy Kong Racing and while a remake would be great, I'd settle for a new Mario Kart DLC that consisted entirely of DKR tracks.

a dkr remake would be fuckin lit, it's still my favorite kart racer

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
And still the only one to have used a hub properly.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Popoto posted:

And still the only one to have used a hub properly.

i got dkr with my n64 and with how new 3d gaming still was, exploring the hub world in that game felt fuckin magical

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

runchild posted:

you don't deserve it. perish

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

runchild posted:

I mean the only reason I can say not to get it is if you don't enjoy Metroid games. I think Dread has the absolute best movement mechanics in a Metroid/vania style game period and is such a genuine delight to play that I sometimes just pop it on and do a quick playthrough if I'm feeling bored.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Thank you for the Metroid recommendations, I appreciate your input.

Except for you.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Dread's progression is a bit more railroaded than Id like but the movement and atmosphere is so so good

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i like the 2d metroid games but i wasn't a big fan of dread. the areas look boring, the enemies are forgettable and the bosses have shoehorned-in parry mechanics. i did beat it but i didn't find the emmi sections fun, maybe because i'm dumb. it shows you how to parry slide under them and i thought that meant "and then blast them from the other side" so i spent 15 minutes trying to kill it, including an attempt where i successfully parried it 5 times

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I just finished Pikmin 4 in just shy of 37 hours. I still have stuff to do, but I’m itching to play something else. I was planning to resume TOTK but all this Dread chat is making me want to blast through that game quick before TOTK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

butt dickus posted:

i like the 2d metroid games but i wasn't a big fan of dread. the areas look boring, the enemies are forgettable and the bosses have shoehorned-in parry mechanics. i did beat it but i didn't find the emmi sections fun, maybe because i'm dumb. it shows you how to parry slide under them and i thought that meant "and then blast them from the other side" so i spent 15 minutes trying to kill it, including an attempt where i successfully parried it 5 times

.. but they literally show Samus' weapons bouncing off in a cutscene.