Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
during krakoa, death's main appearance was in one of those peculiar genis vel minis. i think she retired? it was something to do with marlo chandler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

during krakoa, death's main appearance was in one of those peculiar genis vel minis. i think she retired? it was something to do with marlo chandler.

I wonder just how much of that will actually be canon outside of that book.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Was that before or after Jane Foster rescued her (Death, not Marlo) in Valkyrie

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What are these Genis Vel minis? Also who is Marlo Chandler

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Marlo is one of Peter David's pet characters that he takes with him from series to series. Mostly following Rick Jones. She's popped up in Hulk and Captain Marvel most notably. But the recent Genis Vell stuff strikes me as one of those 'nostalgia minis' where they let an older writer play around with the characters he was well know for decades ago. I'm not sure how much of that stuff will filter out to the main Marvel universe.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, genis vel being alive again seems to have made it through to the current captain marvel book at least.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
uncanny avengers sure turned out to be a big soggy disappointment. it went from cool x-ladies killing nazis left and right in issue 1 to inexplicably relying on the us criminal justice system to save the day in issue 5.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

uncanny avengers sure turned out to be a big soggy disappointment. it went from cool x-ladies killing nazis left and right in issue 1 to inexplicably relying on the us criminal justice system to save the day in issue 5.

I enjoyed it, and remember killing Grant would have been bad for trying to reveal all the stuff he did. Also Captain America was the leader of the team.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Uncanny Avengers' ending was idiotic.

All of Orchis' schemes were exposed BUT antisteve gets acquitted in court? Lmao.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Parts of Uncanny were fun, but yeah I do kinda regret having bought all these issues now, 'cuz it really didn't end up hitting the standards I expected. And the whole Stevil Grant outcome feels like it was cribbing pretty hard from Homelander. (not that The Boys owns the patent on this sort of commentary)

Iceman's final issue felt quite a bit more cohesive than the one before, though it still sort of ends on a weird feeling of also not being quite as consequential as you'd hoped. Not sure what sort of big consequences I really expected from this mini, but "Bobby's still gone and still trying to reform, tune in next time to see what happens!" wasn't really it.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Uncanny Avengers' ending was idiotic.

All of Orchis' schemes were exposed BUT antisteve gets acquitted in court? Lmao.

And he has a following? Like, I know the current state of America is hosed up but there is a significant contingent of America that sees the resurrected version of Captain America that was evil and Hydra and now is anti-mutant who supports him even as he calls himself Flag-smasher and is like “this guy speaks for me”.

Its just too much. Or maybe I want it to be?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I don't really mind the UA ending. Orchis still has tons of power and institutional evil isn't something you can beat in one 6 issue run, not when it has sympathetic judges and limitless wealth to grease the wheels. And that's what Orchis is, institutional, global fascism. Stevil fits right in.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
stevil didn't even need to couch it in euphemisms. the us government has demonstrated time and time again that they are all in on mutant genocide. they are currently hunting down all mutants! but surely, the left hand will admonish the right hand.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Pretty much the second one, there's absolutely nothing that 20% of this country wouldn't do to degrade and torment their enemies. Real or imagined. The comic book part of this entire thing isn't the vast swaths of the police and public on the fascist super-hero's side, the comic book part is that there was a trial for him in the first place.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

And he has a following? Like, I know the current state of America is hosed up but there is a significant contingent of America that sees the resurrected version of Captain America that was evil and Hydra and now is anti-mutant who supports him even as he calls himself Flag-smasher and is like “this guy speaks for me”.

Well first of all, yeah of course he has a following. That's pretty likely given what we know about the feelings of the public at large in the Marvel U. Though to be fair some of that gathering drawn seemed to have Anti Grant signage. Second of all, also pretty spot on that the court system would so utterly fail. See that every day on the news. Those two things may be the most realistic things we've seen printed in a Marvel book recently if you ask me.

I really enjoyed Uncanny Avengers. And no matter how you feel about Grant it was absolutely inevitable that somebody was going to eventually bring him back. I'm for one happy that it was done in a way with no illusions about how wrong and twisted his whole philosophy is. Duggan was the perfect person to do this. I mean, just looking at one facet of the story being Steve and Wade's relationship, Duggan is the guy that built that relationship. And it was tarnished and used in Secret Empire and bringing that hurt back into the story was a great move. And now Grant has a new status quo that pretty firmly plants him as even more irredeemable and in direct opposition to Steve for the foreseeable future.

(Also more Monet and Pietro please)

X-O fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 22, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Donald Trump, the man who literally tried to overthrow the US government, is one of the frontrunners to be the next President, even after declaring he wants to be a dictator.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

The only thing I found less than believable was that Grant would proclaim himself a "Flag Smasher" and still have the same following. Fascists are usually nationalists, so that bit didn't make sense to me.

Otherwise, yeah, I'm not shocked that Captain Nazi would have a following, that seems believable. I do think the ending of Uncanny Avengers was a bit of a wet fart though.

But then the Iceman ending feels like even more of a wet fart. Just returning to the same status quo as at the series start with seemingly no lasting consequences.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Christian identity fascists don't really give a gently caress about their national identity, they just want all the gays and heathens gone. Like donating tons of money to political parties in different African countries that get laws that punish homosexuality with death despite living in a different continent. I could easily see that applying to anti-mutant fascists.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm not shocked at the fact that there would still be people that are pro-ORCHIS/anti-mutant. I mean setting aside the obvious racism angle, I mean their big witness against Orchis saying it was a frame job was the loving Kingpin. He's not exactly a beacon of truth.

Woebin posted:

The only thing I found less than believable was that Grant would proclaim himself a "Flag Smasher" and still have the same following. Fascists are usually nationalists, so that bit didn't make sense to me.

This part I agree with. I know (and am unfortunately related to) several hardcore MAGA-types and they'd probably be all for Orchis' poo poo if mutants were a real thing, but if somebody ripped up a flag on TV they'd throw a fit.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
said this on discord, but i thought it was funny stevil was like "i died for the american flag" when it's like bro you changed to national flag to the hydra symbol when you took over

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Woebin posted:

But then the Iceman ending feels like even more of a wet fart. Just returning to the same status quo as at the series start with seemingly no lasting consequences.

I pretty much expected it from all these series, honestly. They were all just to kill some time and set some pieces up for the last run of the Krakoan Era. I think really only Uncanny Spider-Man did more than that.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I feel like Children of the Vault did a good job of making it seem like these guys were doing important things in the fight against Orchis that were very worth reading about even if, when you get down to the nitty-gritty, the overall story didn't actually advance in any particularly significant way.

I think part of the reason I didn't end up enjoying Uncanny as much as I thought I would, was because it ended up being so much more an Avengers story than an X-Men story, despite the fact that the book was predicated on the X-Men's plight. "Grant" just still feels so much more like a foe against Captain America specifically, while his connections to Orchis ended up being almost superfluous when all was said and done. Even that lackey who was helping him out at the end seemed to suggest that he was helping Grant because of Grant's part in the Hydra takeover, instead of the Orchis one. So, at the end of the day, the only bit of progress that this joint X-Men/Avengers Unity Team made in their mission bring about justice for the events of the Hellfire Gala was...to give a couple of speeches, I guess. And then Grant gave another speech. The end. Tune in next time!

Okay fine, they stopped a nuke, but still.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Merry X-Mas, bub!

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I liked Uncanny Avengers. I was sad it was only a mini. Probably second best mini for me, after Uncanny Spider-Man.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Immortal X-men was great as usual.

Though, I would remind everyone of Defenders Beyond after they have read this week's issue:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

wiegieman posted:

Though, I would remind everyone of Defenders Beyond after they have read this week's issue:

drat, I keep meaning to get onto that. The Ewing/Gillen tag team is killer. The five images can't map to the Sinisters in any way, can they? Some of them work if you squint, but the McDonald's one really doesn't fit anywhere.

Also, quoting a post I made four months ago for no apparent reason:

Rochallor posted:

There's also the possibility of a wild card? A joker? The other Sinisters are just trying to keep their respective factions alive long enough to get absorbed by a Phalanx, right, so maybe there's a robot Sinister who's gone right to the source?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
alpha flight was kind of a nothing mini. no real twists, nothing particularly interesting happened. however, the renegade alpha flight members who were fighting the canadian government did not try to turn box jr., who was working for the canadian government, over to the canadian government for punishment. also, major maple leaf did not pop in to give a speech about the greatness of canada while a pogrom against mutants was being carried out by canada.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

wiegieman posted:

Man this is cool.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ha, Gillen and Ewing were really playing the long game with this. Loki even gave us the answer.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 27, 2023

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Good time to retcon Franklin back into a mutant and Xavier's conversation with him being the Essex Dominion interfering. Neatly puts a bow on on the Dominion addressing the two major threats to a dominion that were mentioned way back (the Phoenix and Galactus)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Gillen, you madman. Ewing, you madman. We're all sick of Sinisters, yeah, but not with these two at the wheel.

Y'all, not only was this being foreshadowed from the very first page of the first issue of Immortal, there are elements here being drawn from books as far back as Morrison's New X-Men that are meticulously setting up how this is all going to go down going forward, and it is looking bloody fantastic. This has the makings of one grand-rear end climax indeed.

Adder Moray posted:

Good time to retcon Franklin back into a mutant and Xavier's conversation with him being the Essex Dominion interfering. Neatly puts a bow on on the Dominion addressing the two major threats to a dominion that were mentioned way back (the Phoenix and Galactus)
God I truly loving wish. Do Pietro and Wanda too while we're at it. This could be the new Superboy-Prime punching walls but, like, actually awesome.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I always knew machine learning would be the end of us.

Well I don't like a Sinister an Essex becoming a god, but I also didn't really like Mother Righteous so I'd be lying if I didn't appreciate seeing her get some comeuppance.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think most everyone figured that it wasn't likely to be any of the four, but I don't think anyone knew that they actually gave us that confirmation in Defenders Beyond.

Gotta give them credit for a well done mystery while holding their water about the reveal for such a long time. It was all right there.

And now we also have an explanation for the "you're a ghost" lines that have happened. That's Enigma acting directly, it seems.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
orbis has been a nonentity since cable and co hosed up his whole operation. stasis has been spending all his time on fairly mundane fascism because that's what he really enjoys doing. righteous had a mysterious plan that involved a trip to the secret heart of the universe, which certainly seemed promising. but in hindsight, she was limited by her enormous hubris.

i'm just glad righteous finally, finally got some comeuppance. even in age of sinister her master plan pretty much went off without a hitch even though all of the parts went awry at the end. i'm still not really sure how that worked.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Rochallor posted:

drat, I keep meaning to get onto that. The Ewing/Gillen tag team is killer. The five images can't map to the Sinisters in any way, can they? Some of them work if you squint, but the McDonald's one really doesn't fit anywhere.

Also, quoting a post I made four months ago for no apparent reason:

I made a similar guess back in May. Sad it wasnt 'rules for playing stud poker" Essex, but I'm not surprised at the result.

I did like the fact that they had the other two make their attempts off-screen. Sinister is largely the lens of the dominion storyline post house of x/powers of x so it was a neat touch to have him unable to remember their attempts and thus have it out of sight for the reader.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it was really funny how after three issues of wolverine fighting a predator on equal terms, the predator tried attacking xavier's. then the x-men almost effortlessly rolled him, which wolverine did not acknowledge. he kept on going on about how the rest of them had to get out of there, it was too dangerous, etc. it was not too dangerous, at all.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

it was really funny how after three issues of wolverine fighting a predator on equal terms, the predator tried attacking xavier's. then the x-men almost effortlessly rolled him, which wolverine did not acknowledge. he kept on going on about how the rest of them had to get out of there, it was too dangerous, etc. it was not too dangerous, at all.

Given other enemies the X-Men as a team have fought and won against, a Predator alien seems super low stakes

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lol yeah what's a predator gonna do against Colossus?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Codependent Poster posted:

lol yeah what's a predator gonna do against Colossus?

Get punched in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unpopular opinion but I've always been of the opinions that the Predators are kind of totally wimps. Like textually, they are super-advanced alien hunters who spend their time sniping people while invisible with a super laser. Like the people who claim they're great hunters because they shoot wolves from a chopper.

Unless you're getting killed while invisible then I'm pretty sure anyone who remotely qualifies as a superhero would just wreck their poo poo 1v1.