Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Any thread draftnik thoughts on Troy Fautanu? Ravens likely need an LT to replace Stanley in 24 or 25. They also need a left guard better than free agent John Simpson. I'd love to pull a Johnathan Ogden and play Fautanu at guard as a rookie, then shift him to LT if needed to step up for the oft-injured Stanley. Does Fautanu have a possible future at LT, or does his size and play style simply prevent it?

He absolutely has plausible potential as a NFL LT. I watched every college game of his and he was a great OL. There is positional versatility because he’s done like 100 great snaps at guard as well. Most snaps were at LT and he’s allowed like 2 sacks over his career. He already has the intensity of a RT with consistent core work and strong hands.

I think the main reasons he may succeed at tackle compared to other LT/G prospects of recent years are:
  • sufficient arm length (34.75”)
  • good lateral agility
  • keeps delightful low pad leverage when working his quick feet

Idk if he’s gonna be around when the Ravens pick though (#32nd overall babey). Most consensus stuff seems to put Troy around the 25th to 45th best prospect but I suspect the combine and positional scarcity will push him up the board come actual draft time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Thanks for the info. Positional scarcity might not have as much impact for OT this year. There are a bunch of guys getting talked about as potential starters. Really glad to hear about the arm length. Pass rushers in the NFL are so well coached on using their own length that short arms really can be disqualifying for playing OT without absolutely immaculate technique and timing.

The whole reason I'm into Fatanu is that he has totally popped off the screen in both Washington games I've watched. With the supposedly elite, prototypically sized guys going earlier I hope he can fall to the end of the 1st.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Big? Fautanu is a bit undersized at 6'4" 317, right?

In what world is 6'4" 317 undersized

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Troythany Fautanu

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'm the world of OTs. He's fat from small but it's less than average.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Another point in Troy Fautanu’s favor: among all offensive tackle prospects in the 2024 nfl draft, Troy assuredly has the most dawg in him.

Troy is a frikkin’ UW Husky for pete’s sake! That’s a whopping 100% dawg!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

In what world is 6'4" 317 undersized

It is now. You should see the size of some HS kids going into college next year. Take with a grain of salt because HS recruiting is ridiculous:

There's some absolute monsters this year in Latham, Mims, Fuaga, and Guyton. Not counting all the long boys like Joe Alt and Patrick Paul. I think Rashawn Slater has kind of proven that leverage is still king in the NFL though.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the post below this quoted a post that i didn't see that part of the post. and that quoted post says what i was trying to have on here. there is no drat reason for this. I'm hosed and I'm loving off

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 27, 2023

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I'm the world of OTs. He's fat from small but it's less than average.

Incredible Freudian slip.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Ornery and Hornery posted:

https://x.com/sportingnews/status/1728471568710254634?s=20

Jayden Daniels better than Joe Burrow you heard it here first

I am reposting to this page because what the heck!!!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Daniels quietly had an absolutely insane season but the defense was so bad a lot of people didn’t notice.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Incredible Freudian slip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZqo4OZ0Pqs

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Daniels quietly had an absolutely insane season but the defense was so bad a lot of people didn’t notice.

Defense across the board this year was trash as gently caress. Half of Caleb's problems can be the direct result of having to play hero ball due to his defense.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He won the Heisman so I would say it was fairly noticed. LSU just wasn’t ever in the championship picture (because of said defense).

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Henchman of Santa posted:

He won the Heisman so I would say it was fairly noticed. LSU just wasn’t ever in the championship picture (because of said defense).

He was a sneaky Heisman winner, he flew under the radar for a lot of the year because LSU sucked.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Of course Burrow went on to score 20 more touchdowns that season against a bunch of top 5 teams.

Still impressive though

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Yeah but burrow has bird bones.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Jayden is handsome and powerful and the Seahawks should draft him

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Jayden is the only other prospect I've ever seen with that Lamar type movement speed in the open field. Really interested to see if that holds true in the NFL. Somewhere in the NFC, preferably.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

At this point Jayden has turned the 'top 2 and then a big dropoff for QBs' into the 'top 3' right? He might still be the 3rd of those, but it's hard to imagine him slipping to 15 even

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Still a lot of time for movement. Even once you get past the combine there are plenty of recent examples of the media's read on a prospect being significantly out of whack with what the actual NFL teams think (Levis, Willis, etc.)

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Nosre posted:

At this point Jayden has turned the 'top 2 and then a big dropoff for QBs' into the 'top 3' right? He might still be the 3rd of those, but it's hard to imagine him slipping to 15 even

I remain convinced that Jayden is going to jump Maye by the end of the process.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Nosre posted:

Almost certainly. If I was a qb needy team I’d be ecstatic to get Daniels in the top 15 picks.

I also think Daniels may jump Maye. Drake does not seem good out of structure or in the face of pressure. Which, if I recall correctly, is important.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'd avoid Maye like the plague. I haven't looked closely at the dude at all, but all his highlights on Twitter that have draftniks ohhhhhing and ahhhhing look exactly like Zach Wilson's BYU highlights. Immaculately clean pockets and wide open WRs.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Who is the Tyree Wilson/Travon Walker guy who is not doing talked about right now but everyone will suddenly convince themselves they are a top pick a month before the draft

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I dunno, Watson and Dak both fell because they aren't white dudes with measurables, actual achievement and skill means nothing to the kind of teams looking to draft quarterbacks early (bad teams)

edit: Hell even Lamar was basically treated like a joke prospect

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Dak didn't achieve much in college. His measurables and arm talent are nothing special. The thing Dak has is an exceptional mental processor for the game and pretty good accuracy. That stuff didn't become apparent until he played in Dallas.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

YOLOsubmarine posted:

he will, he's got better tape across the board and he'll do well at the combine. Maye's biggest selling point is being a big white dude with a big arm.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I'd avoid Maye like the plague. I haven't looked closely at the dude at all, but all his highlights on Twitter that have draftniks ohhhhhing and ahhhhing look exactly like Zach Wilson's BYU highlights. Immaculately clean pockets and wide open WRs.

I mean Maye has a lot more play time than Zach did, a lot. I'd almost compare him to a more productive Levis from last year. Big dude, big arm, pretty blah when he's being pressured but can play well within structure.

There's also an interesting tidbit here that Maye's numbers are nearly all worse this year in his second full year as a starter than they were last year.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 28, 2023

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The team around Maye was also not anywhere close to good enough to give him consistently clean pockets/open receivers so it's not like there's not ample tape of him under pressure

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Dak didn't achieve much in college. His measurables and arm talent are nothing special. The thing Dak has is an exceptional mental processor for the game and pretty good accuracy. That stuff didn't become apparent until he played in Dallas.

He made Mississippi State the number one ranked team in the country for a time, was all american, all SEC, and easily the best player in the school's history. He was exactly the same player in college as the NFL.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Raku posted:

He made Mississippi State the number one ranked team in the country for a time, was all american, all SEC, and easily the best player in the school's history. He was exactly the same player in college as the NFL.

Yeah. Saying he didn't achieve much in college, ESPECIALLY at clanga, is a loving absurd take.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
LOL

I don't remember that poo poo at all.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Roasted Donut posted:

Yeah. Saying he didn't achieve much in college, ESPECIALLY at clanga, is a loving absurd take.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I now want Malik Nabers or Brock Bowers in Charger Blue

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Do not draft TEs early!!! They will always be outplayed by some mid-level prospect 3rd round pick with clinical Golden Retriever brain.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

If he has a good combine work out it'll drive him into the top 15. Not that it should matter too much but if he does the full suite including throwing etc and is just dropping dots he'll see a pretty fast rise given the teams in the top 15 looking at QBs.

Chicaco
Arizona
Washington
New England
Giants
Chargers
Tennessee
Chicago
Jets
Atlanta

is the current top 10 - the next 5 in the list are:
New Orleans
Green Bay
Las Vegas
Denver
Minnesota

It wouldn't shock me if any of the bolded teams took a QB this year.

Even in the back half of the draft you've got Pittsburgh, Seattle, LA (rams) and potentially Detroit who might be interested. Detroit could get real interesting given they have a lot of choices to make in terms of who they're going to pay now they've found some success. Offensively there's going to be some pieces coming up for contracts in the next two years and Goff's current deal is set to expire at the end of 2024 and he's probably going to want over 35 mill a year based on what teams gave to guys like Carr.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I had a post somewhere in the past threads where I called Dak Prescott a hidden draft gem and it excuses all the QBs I've missed on since then. He was a hyper Tim Tebow with jump passes and crazy roll outs so I loved him. He was also extremely smart and constantly found guys in a whacky offense. That luckily translated into the NFL and why I'm not super down on Caleb after this year.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Raku posted:

I dunno, Watson and Dak both fell because they aren't white dudes with measurables, actual achievement and skill means nothing to the kind of teams looking to draft quarterbacks early (bad teams)

edit: Hell even Lamar was basically treated like a joke prospect

Daniels actually has measurables though and was super productive in college. It’s also a different league than it was even five years ago when Lamar was drafted. Richardson went 4th based on being big and fast and he sucks at playing QB. Daniels is going to run a 4.40-something 40, he’s 6-4, he will probably be 220-225 by draft time and he’s got enough arm for the NFL. He’s going to rise through the process.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The Puppy Bowl posted:

LOL

I don't remember that poo poo at all.

First ever College Football Playoff rankings had both Mississippi schools in the top 4. It was a wild time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

indigi posted:

thanks for the detailed answers about arm strength!

another QB question: has anyone who holds onto the ball too long/takes too many sacks ever developed out of that? I can't remember any QBs making a significant improvement in that area, it seems like a trait that's almost locked in and can only be managed with scheme

Captain fatfuck went from holding the ball for 13 seconds while shrugging off 300lb d-linemen until his receivers uncovered to ball out of his hands in under 2 seconds by the end