Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Surprised no-one posted about Breaking News featuring that beloved temporal miscreant, Gilchrest Savoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
VIP is powerfully weird.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gaz-L posted:

Surprised no-one posted about Breaking News featuring that beloved temporal miscreant, Gilchrest Savoy!

The highlight of that episode is whoever they got to play his long lost love. I'm sure she was an actress friend of someone, but she still did a great job matching Trapp's improv. Carolyn was fun as his foil too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It does annoy me that Grant couldn't be bothered to spellcheck half his old timey insults at the end though

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm aware this is not really the best place to be asking this, but it's tangentially related and I'm not sure where else on the forum to ask given how limited my exposure to most subforums is; I just saw a picture highlighting that Vic uses they/she as their chosen pronouns (I'm aware that the "their" here may itself be incorrect) and I'm confused as to how that works grammatically. Shouldn't it be they/her? Would someone say something akin to "go and ask she" when referring to Vic? Or am I just misunderstanding how the concept is used entirely, since it's not something I ever really have exposure to outside the occasional online discourse or media.

tsob fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Dec 17, 2023

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

tsob posted:

I'm aware this is not really the best place to be asking this, but it's tangentially related and I'm not sure where else on the forum to ask given how limited my exposure to most subforums is; I just saw a picture highlighting that Vic uses they/she as their chosen pronouns (I'm aware that the "their" here may itself be incorrect) and I'm confused as to how that works grammatically. Shouldn't it be they/her? Would someone say something akin to "go and ask she" when referring to Vic? Or am I just misunderstanding how the concept is used entirely, since it's not something I ever really have exposure to outside the occasional online discourse or media.
It usually means primarily, for respect, go with they/them, but they won't mind she/her. Unless it's been very explicitly stated, in situations like this you just read it as two sets of pronouns rather than using she as an odd neopronoun

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Huh, I knew most of that but never really parsed that the order represents a hierarchy of preference.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I enjoyed VIP. Not hilarious but quite funny. I can definitely see the Comedy Bang Bang vibes, having listened to like three episodes (Vic doing a horrid French accent for one).

I'd enjoy more of a Eric André vibe but I realise that's not what they're going for.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Wungus posted:

It usually means primarily, for respect, go with they/them, but they won't mind she/her. Unless it's been very explicitly stated, in situations like this you just read it as two sets of pronouns rather than using she as an odd neopronoun

Oh right, I figured it might be something like that initially, but then everytime I see pronouns written out it's been in a he/him, she/her, they/them etc. format and that made it seem like if there was an order of preference thing going on that it'd be written somewhat differently. Thanks for the clarification either way.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

kiminewt posted:

(Vic doing a horrid French accent for one).

One of the best characters in recent episodes. "I'm Quiet the mime cause I'm Quite the Mime" is brilliant. Will never hear WAH!? the same way again.

quote:

I'd enjoy more of a Eric André vibe but I realise that's not what they're going for.

For better, for their brand I think, Dropout is basically cashing in on being Adult Nickelodeon rather than Adult Swim. Pranks, but only really within their own bubble.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Yep, zoomers are into colourful wholesome content. Unlike us millenials / gen xers they haven't been to WAR so don't need the host to throw up on the guests to feel something.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tonight's Dirty Laundry is dated to the week with the reference to the Silicon Valley Bank fiasco.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Season finale of Make Some Noise was a solid Brenan performance, including a rant and a great S1 callback

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Next season there better be a "Three Grizzled Fishermen" bit, because it went exactly where I was hoping it would go. It reminded me of the opening scene from an old movie called Viewer Discretion Advised that was distributed by Troma.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kloaked00 posted:

Season finale of Make Some Noise was a solid Brenan performance, including a rant and a great S1 callback

"Brennan's real feelings about Make Some Noise's 'loosey goosey' scoring system" is an A+ prompt

Schrute Nation
May 29, 2007
Ha,Ha...Thought you could keep me out didja?

Gaz-L posted:

"Brennan's real feelings about Make Some Noise's 'loosey goosey' scoring system" is an A+ prompt

I'm sure there weren't any editing involved to show how quickly Brenan was ready to give his $.02.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I really appreciated Grants "Who here knows Barack Obama?" (From the latest Dirty Laundry.)

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i'm not usually into the "here's a bunch of silly costume props" bit because it feels a bit too much like they're trying to be whose line, but the one in the latest episode was fantastic

"i'm a psychic pirate!"

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Forget if I posted it here, but given Dropout's resounding success, have been wondering if they'd start to get more of the previous LA Comedy generation to show up. Really feels like they're what Channel 101 was to Millennial talent. But instead of a single cable breakthrough show, they've just made their own little empire.

Then boom, in the "What's Comign to Dropout in 2024" has a trailer of more Dirty Laundry with PFT on the show. Fun!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Maybe I’m bad at judging ages, but I think the majority of Dropout’s talent are millennials, especially all the hosts/GMs.

Or maybe I’m misreading your post.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Is Smartypants "The Genius"? Please tell me Smartypants is The Genius.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

whydirt posted:

Maybe I’m bad at judging ages, but I think the majority of Dropout’s talent are millennials, especially all the hosts/GMs.

Or maybe I’m misreading your post.

I believe OP is saying channel is to gen X to what dropout is to millenials

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

bunnyofdoom posted:

I believe OP is saying channel is to gen X to what dropout is to millenials

Ah yeah. I miswrote that but this is what I meant.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

MisterZimbu posted:

Is Smartypants "The Genius"? Please tell me Smartypants is The Genius.

if it is then that has a lot of strong potential

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Ah yeah. I miswrote that but this is what I meant.

Gotcha. That makes more sense

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
Are all Dropout show new episodes every other week? Very Important People was an instant hit with my partner and they're desperate for more.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

YorexTheMad posted:

Are all Dropout show new episodes every other week? Very Important People was an instant hit with my partner and they're desperate for more.

Yes. Although some weeks they'll alternate shows. For instance, recently Monday was alternating Make Some Noise and Breakinf News

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Documentary on Rick Perry is pretty fun. They focus more on the man and process more than any technical aspect. Which unfortunately means you get a scenes like "this guy paints the minis" over a scene of him airbrushing mini's and a quick cut of him going "I paint minis" and then they move on. But man he's living his best life – lives on an island in Washington where he's got a big ol workshop that they do the initial mini work at before finishing in LA.

Also holy poo poo he was part of the group that did PRICEMASTER. That's him around the 30 second mark of this cut:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9GBLVRPeaE

Inaction Jackson
Feb 28, 2009

YorexTheMad posted:

They are (except for Dimension 20) but for VIP on the off weeks they’ll do a show that is focused on the makeup process for the previous episode. So that will be happening tomorrow for the Princess Emily ep.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

of course it's a grant script

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

one of the best breaking news episodes. i didn't think the gimmick would be good at first, but it worked pretty well.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

As a former political staffer I had to turn it off because it triggered my PTSD at the phone call

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
luckily it was only Grant O’Brien to make uncomfortable, which he loves anyway

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

bunnyofdoom posted:

As a former political staffer I had to turn it off because it triggered my PTSD at the phone call

Bard Maddox posted:

luckily it was only Grant O’Brien to make uncomfortable, which he loves anyway

I assumed it was Grant based on the voice, but it wasn't until "WE REALLY DIDN'T CALL THEM" came up that I was able to relax.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I just discovered Dropout about a month and half ago due to some crossover with some comedians I love. I've binged all of Game Changer and Breaking News and love it. I discovered that they basically turned Off Book into a show and am now making my way through that. Make Some Noise is next after that. I'm not into the D&D stuff at all but Um Actually looks great too. This may be the best streaming service I subscribe to. In fact it may be too much value for how much I'm paying. Plus I feel good about supporting this group of people so that's a nice plus.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Given you're enjoying everything else so much, you should dip your toes in D20 - it's way less nerdy and rules-y than it sounds initially. In particular, would recommend checking out the "All Dropout Cast" season 'Of Mice & Murder'. It's a great whodunit that has Grant (successfully!) play a Sherlock figure with Rehka, Sam (playing a rich Texan hog), Raphael, and Katie. Buncha fun.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Given you're enjoying everything else so much, you should dip your toes in D20 - it's way less nerdy and rules-y than it sounds initially. In particular, would recommend checking out the "All Dropout Cast" season 'Of Mice & Murder'. It's a great whodunit that has Grant (successfully!) play a Sherlock figure with Rehka, Sam (playing a rich Texan hog), Raphael, and Katie. Buncha fun.

I might give it a try when I exhaust everything else just because of the people involved, but I know nothing about D&D at all and don't really like fantasy stuff. But if there are good Brennan rants in it I might not be able to resist.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

X-O posted:

I might give it a try when I exhaust everything else just because of the people involved, but I know nothing about D&D at all and don't really like fantasy stuff. But if there are good Brennan rants in it I might not be able to resist.

Try Starstruck, it's sci-fi but the setting is more satirical than fantastical

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

X-O posted:

its the #1 source of brennan rants. in fact he plays 99% of the characters and monologues with almost all of them about something or other. in the seasons he runs, that is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
D20 is mostly not fantasy in the “it’s the Middle Ages and there’s a wizard with a big grey beard” sense. Fantasy High (the first season) is a semi contemporary setting, but with magic and monsters and D&D stuff. It’s set in an “adventuring academy”, so high school for the stereotypical adventuring party. Unsleeping City (2nd season) is contemporary New York, but there’s a magical world underneath.

I’m an OG d20 cast person, so I’d say start with Fantasy High.

D&D is basically just improv with rules.