Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-3vXHCEzEk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8m0rscBqoY

Dexo fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

scary ghost dog posted:

its the #1 source of brennan rants. in fact he plays 99% of the characters and monologues with almost all of them about something or other. in the seasons he runs, that is

yeah d20 is brennans baby even when he's not GMing, i think anybody who likes him elsewhere is pretty much bound to enjoy one season or another

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

X-O posted:

I might give it a try when I exhaust everything else just because of the people involved, but I know nothing about D&D at all and don't really like fantasy stuff. But if there are good Brennan rants in it I might not be able to resist.

This is mostly why I'm pitching this season in particular. It's less Lord of the Rings fantasy and more a play on a Sherlock Holmes novel where all the characters are disney-esque animorphic people. It's also only ten episodes, which I think will make it an easier investment for ya.

The very first season, Fantasy High does incorporate some generic dnd elements, but the core of it is more Degrassi Jr. High. Also a wonderful place to start, tho it involves more gameplay than Of Mice and Murder which is mostly story.

The one season they leaned into the most generic LotR-esque dnd they still put a spin on it – Escape the Bloodkeep, where the players are a Legion of Doom working for the Sauron of that world. Second battle is straight up against the Fellowship and it's wonderful.

Basically, just give it a shot. Promise it's less cringe-y than you'd anticipate and it's hard to go wrong.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I realise a lot of people see Dropout as 'D20 plus other stuff as an extra bonus' but as someone who has watched maybe 20 mins total of Dimension 20 (and has watched maybe 500 hours of Critical Role so it's not the liveplay thing), there's MORE than enough stuff to justify enjoying the service without it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I got dropout for game changer, breaking news and make some noise tbh.

Stayed for Dirty Laundry too.

That being said I enjoy D20. I am currently halfway through unsleeping city 1 and uh....this may be a hot take but I enjoy it more than Fanatasy High season 1. I like the more dramatic and less humorous take. Yes there is a ton of humour but like they play the drama a lot better and with more pathos.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

bunnyofdoom posted:

I got dropout for game changer, breaking news and make some noise tbh.

Stayed for Dirty Laundry too.

That being said I enjoy D20. I am currently halfway through unsleeping city 1 and uh....this may be a hot take but I enjoy it more than Fanatasy High season 1. I like the more dramatic and less humorous take. Yes there is a ton of humour but like they play the drama a lot better and with more pathos.

I agree. I think it’s better. It feels like they took it more seriously. It’s my favorite season, I think.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

I realise a lot of people see Dropout as 'D20 plus other stuff as an extra bonus' but as someone who has watched maybe 20 mins total of Dimension 20 (and has watched maybe 500 hours of Critical Role so it's not the liveplay thing), there's MORE than enough stuff to justify enjoying the service without it.

No argument here on the quality of everything else! But if someone is enjoying that stuff, and hasn't tried D20, do think it's worth checking it out.

bunnyofdoom posted:

If anything, it should be a badge of honor that like four or so people have chimed in with "start here" or "my favorite season is..." and they're all naming different ones. It's a very good show that hits different beats in almost every other season - but is consistently at worst good and at best exhilarating.

Inaction Jackson
Feb 28, 2009

X-O posted:

I might give it a try when I exhaust everything else just because of the people involved, but I know nothing about D&D at all and don't really like fantasy stuff. But if there are good Brennan rants in it I might not be able to resist.
The other season I’ll suggest is Dungeons and Drag Queens. It’s only 4 episodes, so it is less of a commitment and all of the players had little to no D&D experience, so Brennan is explaining all of the rules as they go. However, it is super traditional D&D fantasy and if you aren’t familiar with or don’t like the personalities of the drag queens you might bounce off of it. But it’s definitely the best season if you want to get a grasp of how D&D works (Fantasy High has some of this, too, because it was Ally’s first time playing. But Brennan wasn’t nearly as comfortable with 5E rules at that point and wasn’t as good at teaching them).

Starstruck is great for the Sci-if theme (and is my favorite season) but it uses a system that is D&D with extra rules piled on top. They’ll explain those new rules, but not any of the basics. I don’t think fully understanding all of the mechanics is necessary to enjoy it, but YMMV.

Other options are Misfits and Magic (if you are interested in a Harry Potter-ish things) or Mentopolis for Inside Out mixed with noir. Both of those seasons use a much simpler system that is explained up front.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Mentopolis is just so good.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

X-O posted:

I just discovered Dropout about a month and half ago due to some crossover with some comedians I love. I've binged all of Game Changer and Breaking News and love it. I discovered that they basically turned Off Book into a show and am now making my way through that. Make Some Noise is next after that. I'm not into the D&D stuff at all but Um Actually looks great too. This may be the best streaming service I subscribe to. In fact it may be too much value for how much I'm paying. Plus I feel good about supporting this group of people so that's a nice plus.

Watch Total Forgiveness. It's a bit older but it's great.

Dirty Laundry is a hit or miss but the hits are great.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

scary ghost dog posted:

its the #1 source of brennan rants. in fact he plays 99% of the characters and monologues with almost all of them about something or other. in the seasons he runs, that is

Brennan as a DM allows him to be his best self. https://youtu.be/0oXiFuPCU6k?si=r8HfrqowF6Ag2_JY

If you're not as big on fantasy, check out the second season of Candela Obscura on Critical Role (it's more Victorian Horror in the vein of Call of Cthulu). He's a player in that, but he has some masterful character work on that.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 29, 2023

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
hey, could anyone sell me on Crown of Candy? I know it's a really popular season but GoT-style political intrigue doesn't interest me, does it pick up later or should I just watch something else.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

YggiDee posted:

hey, could anyone sell me on Crown of Candy? I know it's a really popular season but GoT-style political intrigue doesn't interest me, does it pick up later or should I just watch something else.

the political intrigue barely works, its carried by the insanely elaborate food puns in every single tiny morsel of exposition

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I’ve tried CoC half a dozen times and have never managed to get past the first 4 episodes. Just not my cup of tea.

I think Mice and Murder is the real hidden gem. The Zoom nature of it hurts it a lot but it’s just so much fun the whole time. And that nat 20 is maybe the wildest D20 moment ever.

Also Fey and Flowers is worth it for Lou and Emily going at full throttle the entire time.

Jaxts
Apr 29, 2008
Mice and Murder was my favorite season until Mentopolis came along.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Mentopolis is a real Oops All Bits season and it's loving fantastic.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjyoTfISMQ4

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Never enough love for Coffin Run. All the vampire werewolf nonsense of a full Strahd campaign in 14 hours (including Adventuring Parties and a Q&A video).

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Speaking of Adventuring Parties, which season do people think had the best talkback episodes? I think I like the more recent stuff where they record the talkback episodes right after filming the actual episodes, but I do miss the entirely unhinged ones that were recorded over zoom calls months after the series wrapped.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Neverafter Adventuring Party somehow manages to be right after each episode and absolutely unhinged

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

YggiDee posted:

Neverafter Adventuring Party somehow manages to be right after each episode and absolutely unhinged

One of the Neverafter Adventuring Parties is literally called Big Zoom Energy

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

YggiDee posted:

I’m on the last episode and it is just brutal.

Spoilering just in case, but I’m just describing the season:

I found it pretty stressful, especially the first 9 episodes. Episode 9 is kind of an inflection point (and an insane episode). It’s obviously their “Game of Thrones” season, so think about how GOT treats its characters, and, yeah.

Brennan is also a self professed hardass during the season. There’s almost no room for rule stretching (though it does happen later in the season). Brennan tries very, very hard to kill everyone, many many times. I found myself mad at him a lot.

There’s still lots of great moments, great role playing. There’s the aforementioned food puns. The food related world building is insane.

Honestly though, it’s my least favorite season I’ve seen.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

YggiDee posted:

Disagree with scary ghost dog in that the first half is a successful Game of Thrones intrigue thing. The core cast has some wonderful chemistry as a royal family in exile. Brennan spends early episodes trying to hit a very specific story beat, and the dice and players thwart him spectacularly. The food puns are fun, but Crown of Candy is by far the most 'built out' world besides Fantasy High/Sleeping City that both had two full seasons. It's incredibly rich and discovering and exploring it is awesome.

Second half falters on the early promise unfortunately, but it's still ok. As with anything, just put on an ep or two and see if you like it.

quote:

Brennan is also a self professed hardass during the season. There’s almost no room for rule stretching (though it does happen later in the season). Brennan tries very, very hard to kill everyone, many many times. I found myself mad at him a lot.

I actually really enjoyed this, as it made the characters victories all the sweeter and made it the first series they did that felt like it had stakes. Also leads to some phenomenal moments.

But no argument that it's the most stressful season. They were clearly going for a similar vibe with Neverafter, but it doesn't come close imo.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 30, 2023

Inaction Jackson
Feb 28, 2009

YggiDee posted:

Definitely the best season of Adventuring Parties. I enjoyed them more than I did the actual episodes.

EDIT: On CoC discourse, I thought CoC was pretty good, but Ravening War was fantastic.

Inaction Jackson fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 30, 2023

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Thanks, it all sounds very interesting but more or less the opposite of what I like, so I think I'll give it a pass for now.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
IMHO, CoC is one of the weaker D20 seasons, I've only rewatched clips instead of full episodes but I think it's still far from bad. It's just that other D20 stuff is SO GOOD.
CoC is worth going through at least once because of Ravening War, but I wouldn't put it as a priority.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

YggiDee posted:

Thanks, it all sounds very interesting but more or less the opposite of what I like, so I think I'll give it a pass for now.

its not really interesting

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Crown of Candy is in my top 3 D20 shows. I'd say it goes Fantasy High S1 & S2, Crown of Candy, and Unsleeping City S1.

Crown of Candy has a lot of issues in terms of storytelling that you don't see in many other seasons, I think Neverafter is the closest comparison; a cool idea that's not set up to succeed as a tabletop show. It presents itself as a political drama, but it's closer to a revenge tale. It's because of this, and the background production issues with COVID, that it doesn't have the fully satisfying arc of many other D20 seasons. For me the real payoff is the catharsis of their triumphs. the stakes are set so high and the challenges are oftentimes unfair, so it felt genuinely exciting whenever they got a win.

I think it also has the best combats of any D20 season, and the worst combat(s) of any D20 season. I think it has my favorite individual roll of any game too. "What's the last part of my title?"

my least favorite Brennan season has to be Mice & Murder, still a B- overall. it's the most ambitious in terms of storytelling, but the ending was kinda lovely.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't know if the best single season is Starstruck Odyssey but it's definitely the best I've seen so far.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 30, 2023

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Gotta say, today's VIP went where I didn't expect it to but goddamn it did it great

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

YggiDee posted:

On its face CoC is inspired by GoT, but in practice the entire campaign is way more inspired by Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. The world is full of puns and jokes that none of the characters are in on, and the combat is designed to be random and lethal. Every time swords are drawn, no matter how high level a character is, whether or not they live or die is ultimately going to come down to a roll of the dice because swordfights are scary. It can be jarring if your touchstone for roleplaying games is post 3rd edition Dungeons and Dragons, where combat is purposefully gamified. I've heard multiple people claim that Brennan as a DM wasn't being fair with the numbers being thrown at the party, but he's also not trying to be; the combats aren't fair because this is a world where combat isn't fair. Every PC has a backup character ready to jump in if one of them bite it, so the tension runs hot and no one ever feels safe.

The back half suffers a bit. They had to cut four episodes out of the season, so the ending feels rushed and we never get to spend real time getting to know two of the factions Fructera and the Meatlands. It never stops being a rollercoaster of emotions, though, and the party's victories very much feel earned. The final episode reduced me to full tears.

Froghammer fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 30, 2023

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

If I had to give a top 5 seasons:
1. Starstruck ("The ball is rolling up!")
2. The first Unsleeping City
3. Fantasy High Sophomore Year ("Chungledown Bim is gonna poo poo in my mouth!")
4. Burrow's End (Thorn's roll in the core was the most tense Box of Doom roll I've watched in 20 seasons!)
5. A tie between Escape from the Bloodkeep and Tiny Heist.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
1)Mentopolis
2)Starstruck
3)First Unsleeping City
4)Mice and Murder
5)Bloodkeep

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

the best d20 season is naddpod :unsmigghh:

i haven't finished em all yet but fantasy high s2 is probably my favorite so far

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

kidcoelacanth posted:

i haven't finished em all yet but fantasy high s2 is probably my favorite so far

Naddpod doesn’t count bc Ally hasn’t been on so you can’t say they’re the same cast.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

ally was on like one dungeon court ep, it's fine. it was also the most unhinged one

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

1. Starstruck
2. Mice & Murder
3. A Crown of Candy
4. Unsleeping City Season 2 (Cody, my god)
5. Escape the Bloodkeep

Starstruck is such a cathartic adventure where the villain is capitalism and the heroes smash it with ridiculous rolls. Mice & Murder is a hoot. Crown has the best world building. Unsleeping has the funnest bits, Cody selling his soul to a devil for the privilege of serving under him. Bloodkeep has bones, female Samwise, and the best DM thwart into the final battle.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

naddpod is pretty much the only d&d show thats actually worth the time imo. love listening to it at work

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

kidcoelacanth posted:

ally was on like one dungeon court ep, it's fine. it was also the most unhinged one

They were?! I don’t remember that. Everyone else has been on some variation of the main campaign tho. Lou and the Hexbuds was the best part of eldermourne IMO. Zac as Mavrus, Siobhan as Apple Scrumper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Awkward Davies posted:

They were?! I don’t remember that. Everyone else has been on some variation of the main campaign tho. Lou and the Hexbuds was the best part of eldermourne IMO. Zac as Mavrus, Siobhan as Apple Scrumper.

ally was on the dungeon court where they talked about murph walking around in a pillowcase like fred flintstone iirc