Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K 3.2 GHz 24-Core Processor (£545.88 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: MSI MAG CORELIQUID M240 78.23 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£67.99 @ Box Limited)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z790-F GAMING WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (£409.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6200 CL36 Memory (£160.07 @ NeoComputers)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£142.43 @ BT Shop)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£142.43 @ BT Shop)
Video Card: MSI VENTUS 2X OC GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card (£547.19 @ Newegg UK)
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500DX ATX Mid Tower Case (£103.99 @ AWD-IT)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£89.99 @ AWD-IT)
Total: £2209.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-12-28 18:37 GMT+0000

Okay I've thrown this together with no real clue of what I'm doing. Basically I'm nearing the end of the life cycle on my previous machine and I'm probably going to retire it, rip out most of the hard drives and just keep the OS and the old HDD inside as the world's most ridiculous EHD.

I'm up for basically replacing anything here with whatever you guys think is better as I'm essentially just picking out what I think has reviewed well.

What country are you in - UK
Do you live near Microcenter - London so presumably yes.
What are you using the system for? - Gaming, Video Editing and a bit of Streaming
What's your budget? - £2500 ish.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? - Current monitor is an AOC AG271QG, displays at 12560x1440 @ 144Hz. - Intent is to be pretty drat up to date with gaming so I can last out another 5-6 years before I do another big refresh.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? - Not really professional, I use OBS for recording, premiere pro for editing, encoding and uploading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Since you’re gaming you can save several hundred pounds by going with a 7800x3D and a motherboard that isn’t £400 :wtc: Then you can dump that money in to more GPU if you don’t want to just pocket it.

That case isn’t super well regarded I don’t think, the BeQuiet cases have lots of sound deadening and poo poo airflow.

But also since you got money to burn you might want to wait til CES. Lots of new poo poo gets announced then.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Okay, a few things immediately:

- Unless you're hideously allergic to AMD, the 7800X3D is the best CPU for gaming-as-a-main-use right now. Full stop. It offers the best value for the money and comparable performance to processors twice as expensive as it (so the 14900K for example). And it can be air-cooled; I've kept your liquid cooler, but you can save more here if you like.
-- The 14000 series Core processors are also just godawful value and basically an excuse for Intel to offer the same parts as the 13000 series for more money. Look at a 13000 series CPU if you're doggedly determined to remain Intel-based.
- Motherboard questions apply. What kind of input/output on the back (and potential for the front) do you want? Do you want surround/high channel count sound (so multiple audio jacks or S/PDIF digital output) or just basic jacks? Do you need a lot of discreet PCIe slots? Do you want a lot of m.2 slots for storage? Lots of memory slots? Few memory slots? Size format (ATX/MicroATX/etc)? This is a place where you can save hundreds of pounds or literally set your budget on fire for things you will never use (and you've selected an expensive one), so it's worth considering what you'll use now and in the future. It's no longer true that "higher price = higher quality components overall", especially after a certain point; more often you're just paying for useless style gubbins or things that should be standard on motherboards that cost £200 less.
- You generally want to shoot for lower CAS latency on memory, rather than just focusing on rated transfer speed. (Though transfer speed, ofc, is also important, and with the new AMD chiplet CPUs it is also important to make sure the memory speed syncs up with what the rest of the support silicon can keep up with.)
- The 4070 is a fine card, though if you aren't going to use raytracing and DLSS (Nvidia's upscaling method) much, the current crop of Radeons provide somewhat better traditional rendering performance for the money. This one is real personal preference stuff though, and at this level you can't go wrong with either manufacturer for 1440p.
-- However, coolers are coolers, and few if any manufacturers have substantial differences anymore. Short of extremely obvious defects, it's always best to hunt for the best bargain you can get to save a few pounds.
-- It's worth noting that we are a week and some change away from the formal announcement of a refresh to the 4070 and 4080 line we know is coming, and parts will drop not soon after. The 4070 SUPER seems like it's going to be a significant improvement over the 4070 standard, but we don't know exact pricing yet. So it may be worth it to wait a few weeks to see what comes of things.

So an initial revision to your list:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (£354.99 @ AWD-IT)
CPU Cooler: MSI MAG CORELIQUID M240 78.23 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£67.99 @ Box Limited)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX ATX AM5 Motherboard (£200.99 @ MoreCoCo)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory (£131.98 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: Palit Dual GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card (£533.98 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£89.99 @ AWD-IT)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro OEM - DVD 64-bit (£16.00)
Total: £1784.77

Haven't messed with the case since that's pure personal preference. PSU and storage are fine given current UK prices. Swapped for the 7800X3D and a decently-featured, popular motherboard along with a RAM kit tested by G. Skill to work with the board, is in the sweet spot speed and latency-wise for the 7800, has a functional EXPO profile for max performance, and that I have personal experience with and thus a bit of tilt for (though it is possible to save some more money here without losing out on speed or timings). Motherboard is really going to come down to your own needs and preferences, though, so that's where some consideration should go. Swapped out for a slightly less expensive Palit, unless you're very attached to the MSI model you selected.

It all saves you around £430, with more savings possible and with the possibility of a far burlier GPU, if you're keen on spending £2k+. Once we go into the 4070Ti and Radeon 7900XT territory, we begin to talk about GPUs that are going to last a while at 1440p. (And this is where you really want to wait for CES and next month, going by the current rumors concerning the 4070 Ti SUPER. (Yes, they're going to call it that. Really.))

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 28, 2023

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

Natural 20 posted:

What are you using the system for? - Gaming, Video Editing and a bit of Streaming

Go with a 13700k or 7800x3d. The 14900k is an overpriced 13900k. The 900s are really not worth the money unless you are doing huge amounts of editing. If you are doing a huge amounts, I'm talking like 8 hours a day professional work, sure go with a 13900k or 7950x3d.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Box wine posted:

Go with a 13700k or 7800x3d. The 14900k is an overpriced 13900k. The 900s are really not worth the money unless you are doing huge amounts of editing. If you are doing a huge amounts, I'm talking like 8 hours a day professional work, sure go with a 13900k or 7950x3d.

The biggest difference between the i7 and i9 is 8 more E-cores, I assumed that video editing would be pretty highly vectorized code and E cores have awful vector performance.

The E cores are killer for compiling code though, the i9s blow away the i7s there and tend to be on top overall, where most other multi threaded loads prefer AMD.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
I'd say it really comes down to the amount of work being done to justify the huge jump in cost. Ya the i9 do perform the best for premiere and video editing in general but then you're tossing on roughly another 150 on cpu alone.

I messed up and was only looking at US prices too. 14th gen seems to run cheaper currently in the UK? Sorry bout that. I guess go with 14th gen if you decide on intel.

e: just go with the cheaper generation if you go with intel (13th/14th)

Box wine fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 28, 2023

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I'm trying to build a PC to support my golf simulator. The recommended specs from the software manufacturer are lacking. This will be a dedicated PC only for the golf sim and I'm looking for suggestions.

From their website:

quote:

Recommended hardware for a great 4k experience:

20GB free space
RTX 3080 (or better) GPU
32GB memory

Where I need some help:

1) CPU choice (lower price is better)
2) Find an AMD graphics card equivalent or better

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/y9dy89

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($156.32 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte A520M S2H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: TEAMGROUP Elite 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL22 Memory ($51.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Patriot P300 128 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($15.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac GAMING SOLO GeForce RTX 4060 8 GB Video Card ($299.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill FBM-X1 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($35.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart 600 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($41.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $797.24
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-12-28 17:27 EST-0500

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Are the new CES announcements likely to impact 4060ti pricing by a material amount? Just picked up my microcenter cpu bundle today... Wondering now if I should hold off for savings or getting more bang for my buck (I have not more than 400 USD allocated to a graphics card)

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Erdricks posted:

Are the new CES announcements likely to impact 4060ti pricing by a material amount? Just picked up my microcenter cpu bundle today... Wondering now if I should hold off for savings or getting more bang for my buck (I have not more than 400 USD allocated to a graphics card)

Extremely unlikely. The SUPER line will consist of a 4070 model, a 4070Ti model and a 4080 model (with the 4070Ti SUPER and 4080 SUPER outright replacing the previous models in terms of manufacturing, according to reports). Nvidia is more or less ceding the sub-$500 market to AMD for now.

And if you're in the $300-400 market you want to look at the Radeon RX 6800 right now: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=495&sort=price Exceptional raster performance, extremely generous memory, and a price that won't make you hate life. It's this card going down to ~$400 that's made the 4060Ti look like a sick joke.

There are also some ridiculous, actual genuine Deals available for the 6700XT right now: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=501&sort=price Newegg, in particular, has priced the ASRock variant to move.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 29, 2023

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

daslog posted:

I'm trying to build a PC to support my golf simulator. The recommended specs from the software manufacturer are lacking. This will be a dedicated PC only for the golf sim and I'm looking for suggestions.

1) CPU choice (lower price is better)
2) Find an AMD graphics card equivalent or better

I'm guessing this is for GSPro? Do you have another PC already that runs it well? While searching for the program I saw a few people used steam remote play to stream the game from their main pc to a budget pc hooked up to the projector which could be a cheaper option. If you need a new PC to run it well anyway you'd be looking at a 7800XT or 4070 (or 6800xt/3080). The 4060 would struggle at 4k.

They're really unclear about the CPU requirements but you can probably drop down to a 5600 (non-x) to save a few bucks. I've gone for a B550 motherboard instead of an A520 in this list since the gigabyte A520 only has a PCIE3.0 slot for the graphics card, for $10 more I think the few % performance gain you get from 4.0 would be worth it. Also went with CL16 ram for $3 more and used SAMart for the OEM windows key to save $100 there. The big killer is the GPU, hard to get a decent framerate at 4k on anything less. I've got a 7800xt here because pcpp doesn't show me much of the US stock (I'm in Aus) but if you can get a 6800XT for ~$400US then that's a solid option, would bring it down to your original budget.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($139.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *ASRock B550M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: *Silicon Power GAMING 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($54.97 @ Amazon)
Storage: Patriot P300 128 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($15.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *Sapphire 21330-01-20G Radeon RX 7800 XT 16 GB Video Card ($499.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart 600 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($41.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit ($20.00)
Total: $887.91
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-12-28 18:52 EST-0500

SadBag
Jun 24, 2012

Something has gone very wrong for us to get to the point where Hot Dog is the admiral.
2 questions.
I have a Atheros AR5B22 Wifi/bluetooth card that I took out of another computer that I'm trying to put in my computer, but the PCIe x 1 slot combined with the case is about a millimeter off from fitting. Do I need to force it?
https://imgur.com/a/SjbUUSz

Secondly, while moving things around to see about getting the ^^ in I snapped the latch for one of my PCIe x 16 slots. According to the manual for this motherboard I have
code:
2 x PCI Express 4.0 x 16 Slots (PCIE1/PCIE3: single at x16(PCIE1); dual at x16 (PCIE1) x4 (PCIE3))
I broke the PCIE1 latch, will there be a performance issue if I use the PCIE3? Or should I keep using PCIE1 and not jostle the computer around? Or try something with superglue to fix the latch?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I broke the latch on my x570 years ago. It's not a necessary thing. I don't think most motherboards even have them.

It was a pita to reach, anyway.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

ephphatha posted:

I'm guessing this is for GSPro? Do you have another PC already that runs it well? While searching for the program I saw a few people used steam remote play to stream the game from their main pc to a budget pc hooked up to the projector which could be a cheaper option. If you need a new PC to run it well anyway you'd be looking at a 7800XT or 4070 (or 6800xt/3080). The 4060 would struggle at 4k.

They're really unclear about the CPU requirements but you can probably drop down to a 5600 (non-x) to save a few bucks. I've gone for a B550 motherboard instead of an A520 in this list since the gigabyte A520 only has a PCIE3.0 slot for the graphics card, for $10 more I think the few % performance gain you get from 4.0 would be worth it. Also went with CL16 ram for $3 more and used SAMart for the OEM windows key to save $100 there. The big killer is the GPU, hard to get a decent framerate at 4k on anything less. I've got a 7800xt here because pcpp doesn't show me much of the US stock (I'm in Aus) but if you can get a 6800XT for ~$400US then that's a solid option, would bring it down to your original budget.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($139.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *ASRock B550M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: *Silicon Power GAMING 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($54.97 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *Sapphire 21330-01-20G Radeon RX 7800 XT 16 GB Video Card ($499.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit ($20.00)
Total: $887.91
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-12-28 18:52 EST-0500

Yes it's for GSPro. My current PC is a piece of crap so I have to build something. What I really want to do is run it on a laptop but I think that would be even more pricey. Thank you for your suggestions that's very helpful.

Also I didn't know that SAMart had keys.

daslog fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 29, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Is there anything that makes a given SSD more reliable than other models? I am tired of SSD failure. I have had Intel disks fail on me, I've had Samsung disks fail on me, I've had cheap brand SSDs fail on me. At this point I've had a higher lifetime loss rate of SSDs than hard disks for sure. What can I do to buy more reliable disks in the future? What am I doing wrong? All of these are even MLC or TLC disks, the 2 QLC disks I've introduced have been rock solid.

SadBag
Jun 24, 2012

Something has gone very wrong for us to get to the point where Hot Dog is the admiral.

SadBag posted:

2 questions.
I have a Atheros AR5B22 Wifi/bluetooth card that I took out of another computer that I'm trying to put in my computer, but the PCIe x 1 slot combined with the case is about a millimeter off from fitting. Do I need to force it?

Was able to shove it in, doesn't look like anything broke, seeing it appear in windows device manager, now just waiting for a successful wifi connection

Edit: Successful connection! However, windows doesn't seem to recognize that there's bluetooth now. I'll poke around for that

SadBag fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 29, 2023

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Hey, so, the thermalight doesn’t loving fit. Like, at all.

https://imgur.com/a/FtZZSEP

It’s overlapping the thing that protects the input/outputs and the ram slots, and if it went the other way (it doesn’t, but if), it’d overlap all the pci-e slots. It does not fit this board, period.

So now what? I don’t plan to overclock so it doesn’t have to be crazy. What will fit here and ideally I can get it at microcenter so I can go tomorrow and pick it up?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

It’s overlapping the thing that protects the input/outputs and the ram slots, and if it went the other way (it doesn’t, but if), it’d overlap all the pci-e slots. It does not fit this board, period.

The fan that’s over the rear IO should be between the two towers, the one over the RAM slots can be lifted up to give clearance to the RAM sticks. Also be sure to orient the fans so they’re pulling air from the front of the case and exhausting it towards the back (where the rear IO is).

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

CapnAndy posted:

1. Your fan placement is wrong. The fan you have all the way over on the left should be in the middle, still attached to the back/left fin stack.

2. Lift the other fan a couple of notches on the stack to give enough clearance underneath it for the ram.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

Is there anything that makes a given SSD more reliable than other models? I am tired of SSD failure. I have had Intel disks fail on me, I've had Samsung disks fail on me, I've had cheap brand SSDs fail on me. At this point I've had a higher lifetime loss rate of SSDs than hard disks for sure. What can I do to buy more reliable disks in the future? What am I doing wrong? All of these are even MLC or TLC disks, the 2 QLC disks I've introduced have been rock solid.

What are you using these SSDs for? I’ve been using the same 250GB Samsung 850 EVO sata drive since 2015 and it’s at like 70% drive life and exhibiting zero issues. Same goes for my two nvme drives, though they’re both in the upper 90% life remaining range. I don’t understand what you could be doing that’s causing your drives to fail.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Okay, I’ll move the fans and try again. Pre-emptive thanks.

Also I half expect this goddamn thing to wrench itself loose if actually held sideways with the tower upright, it’s so big and heavy.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

Okay, I’ll move the fans and try again. Pre-emptive thanks.

Also I half expect this goddamn thing to wrench itself loose if actually held sideways with the tower upright, it’s so big and heavy.

The screws, when done right, will keep it stable if you've got them in fully. (That's where the struggle was for me, getting the two proper screws to thread fully. Mounting the PA and some fan wrestling was still like half the time I spent building the system.)

Once they were set it was easy, though, and it absolutely does work. All dual-fin-stack coolers are that heavy; air coolers have been evolving into chonkers for some time.

But yeah, RAM solution depending, you may have to adjust the near-RAM fan upwards a little. That's why the fans aren't locked in place to start with. :v:

Fake edit: also wait you should get your RAM *into* the system in the correct slots before you fully secure the fans.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Branch Nvidian posted:

What are you using these SSDs for? I’ve been using the same 250GB Samsung 850 EVO sata drive since 2015 and it’s at like 70% drive life and exhibiting zero issues. Same goes for my two nvme drives, though they’re both in the upper 90% life remaining range. I don’t understand what you could be doing that’s causing your drives to fail.

I had 2 840 Evos die that were used as boot and application disks on Windows gaming desktops, nothing unusual. One Intel disk used as boot disk on a NAS died, and I had a no-name disk die while used as a hyper-V host with some VMs on it, that one was self inflicted with some real write amplification going on.

I don't think I'm doing anything that weird, but I'd be interested in knowing what brands have a better reliability reputation.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

SpaceDrake posted:

Fake edit: also wait you should get your RAM *into* the system in the correct slots before you fully secure the fans.
I mean luckily that was from a “let’s just put it into place to test that I know what I’m doing” practice, the protective film is still on the heatsink and I didn’t put the thermal goo on the chip yet.

And poo poo like this is exactly why I dry-run when I’m not sure.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

I had 2 840 Evos die that were used as boot and application disks on Windows gaming desktops, nothing unusual. One Intel disk used as boot disk on a NAS died, and I had a no-name disk die while used as a hyper-V host with some VMs on it, that one was self inflicted with some real write amplification going on.

I don't think I'm doing anything that weird, but I'd be interested in knowing what brands have a better reliability reputation.

It honestly sounds like you’ve just had bad luck. Perhaps someone else can give better suggestions, but all of the big name brands have had perfectly fine reliability in my experience. The only one I’m actively keeping an eye on is my ADATA 4TB SSD simply because this is my first product of theirs.

I guess for reliability reputation it’d be Samsung, WD, and Crucial’s higher end drives.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Dec 29, 2023

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I don't trust Samsung SSD's very much after all the issues they've had with premature drive failures and performance issues across several drive generations.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Twerk from Home posted:

The 840 EVO drives were some of samsung's most troubled drives because they were early TLC drives. They have some performance/reliability issues that took a lot of firmware updates and I don't think were ever completely resolved.

Another possibility is they are getting too hot, although that would require both a heavy workload and exceptionally poor airflow so I wouldn't invest much time in checking that.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

CapnAndy posted:

So now what? I don’t plan to overclock so it doesn’t have to be crazy. What will fit here and ideally I can get it at microcenter so I can go tomorrow and pick it up?

To not cover my ram at all I put one fan in the middle and one on the back. Both still pulling air from the front.

I drive a BBW fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 29, 2023

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Is there a site/app/tool anywhere that I can use to find the correct replacement fans (and ideally installation instructions for the fans) for a GPU?

I'm trying to replace one of the fans on my "Palit GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB Jetstream Edition Boost" and I'm looking at Amazon listings for fans named things like "Cavabien 85mm Graphics Card Fan GA91S2U 4Pin GPU Card Cooler Fan for PNY Palit GTX 1660 1660Ti RTX 2060 Super 2070 Gamingpro Dual Video Card Cooling Fan Replacement (Fan-B)" with zero idea whether it's correct/compatible.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Jack the Lad posted:

Is there a site/app/tool anywhere that I can use to find the correct replacement fans (and ideally installation instructions for the fans) for a GPU?

I'm trying to replace one of the fans on my "Palit GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB Jetstream Edition Boost" and I'm looking at Amazon listings for fans named things like "Cavabien 85mm Graphics Card Fan GA91S2U 4Pin GPU Card Cooler Fan for PNY Palit GTX 1660 1660Ti RTX 2060 Super 2070 Gamingpro Dual Video Card Cooling Fan Replacement (Fan-B)" with zero idea whether it's correct/compatible.

I'm NOT necessarily recommending this site, but I'm also not not recommending them as I have no idea about their legitimacy, but this looks to be the fan you need.
https://gpu-fan.com/collections/pal...a986a0722&_ss=c

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/GAA8S2U-FD10015H12S-GTX1080-GameRock-Replacement/dp/B08L5GBYR9?th=1

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

SpaceDrake posted:

Okay, a few things immediately:

- Unless you're hideously allergic to AMD, the 7800X3D is the best CPU for gaming-as-a-main-use right now. Full stop. It offers the best value for the money and comparable performance to processors twice as expensive as it (so the 14900K for example). And it can be air-cooled; I've kept your liquid cooler, but you can save more here if you like.
-- The 14000 series Core processors are also just godawful value and basically an excuse for Intel to offer the same parts as the 13000 series for more money. Look at a 13000 series CPU if you're doggedly determined to remain Intel-based.
- Motherboard questions apply. What kind of input/output on the back (and potential for the front) do you want? Do you want surround/high channel count sound (so multiple audio jacks or S/PDIF digital output) or just basic jacks? Do you need a lot of discreet PCIe slots? Do you want a lot of m.2 slots for storage? Lots of memory slots? Few memory slots? Size format (ATX/MicroATX/etc)? This is a place where you can save hundreds of pounds or literally set your budget on fire for things you will never use (and you've selected an expensive one), so it's worth considering what you'll use now and in the future. It's no longer true that "higher price = higher quality components overall", especially after a certain point; more often you're just paying for useless style gubbins or things that should be standard on motherboards that cost £200 less.
- You generally want to shoot for lower CAS latency on memory, rather than just focusing on rated transfer speed. (Though transfer speed, ofc, is also important, and with the new AMD chiplet CPUs it is also important to make sure the memory speed syncs up with what the rest of the support silicon can keep up with.)
- The 4070 is a fine card, though if you aren't going to use raytracing and DLSS (Nvidia's upscaling method) much, the current crop of Radeons provide somewhat better traditional rendering performance for the money. This one is real personal preference stuff though, and at this level you can't go wrong with either manufacturer for 1440p.
-- However, coolers are coolers, and few if any manufacturers have substantial differences anymore. Short of extremely obvious defects, it's always best to hunt for the best bargain you can get to save a few pounds.
-- It's worth noting that we are a week and some change away from the formal announcement of a refresh to the 4070 and 4080 line we know is coming, and parts will drop not soon after. The 4070 SUPER seems like it's going to be a significant improvement over the 4070 standard, but we don't know exact pricing yet. So it may be worth it to wait a few weeks to see what comes of things.

So an initial revision to your list:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (£354.99 @ AWD-IT)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX ATX AM5 Motherboard (£200.99 @ MoreCoCo)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory (£131.98 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: Palit Dual GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card (£533.98 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro OEM - DVD 64-bit (£16.00)
Total: £1784.77

Haven't messed with the case since that's pure personal preference. PSU and storage are fine given current UK prices. Swapped for the 7800X3D and a decently-featured, popular motherboard along with a RAM kit tested by G. Skill to work with the board, is in the sweet spot speed and latency-wise for the 7800, has a functional EXPO profile for max performance, and that I have personal experience with and thus a bit of tilt for (though it is possible to save some more money here without losing out on speed or timings). Motherboard is really going to come down to your own needs and preferences, though, so that's where some consideration should go. Swapped out for a slightly less expensive Palit, unless you're very attached to the MSI model you selected.

It all saves you around £430, with more savings possible and with the possibility of a far burlier GPU, if you're keen on spending £2k+. Once we go into the 4070Ti and Radeon 7900XT territory, we begin to talk about GPUs that are going to last a while at 1440p. (And this is where you really want to wait for CES and next month, going by the current rumors concerning the 4070 Ti SUPER. (Yes, they're going to call it that. Really.))

Hey, thanks a lot for all of this and to everyone else, stuff like this is why I always ask here first.

I'm happy to wait a few weeks so there's no real problem there.

Motherboard stuff: I'm probably setting up surround in my room at some point in the future so future proofing against that will be handy.

I'm mainly concerned with Hard drive slots when it comes to space since I just buy up a new ssd every time I run out and I'll want to transfer 2-3 from the old computer so all my poo poo is in the same place. (Have an old hdd with all my raw recordings, no idea what I'm doing with that fucker)

The other stupid thing I like on my Motherboard is on board WiFi and Bluetooth. The thing's going to have a wired connection of course, but over the years being able to tether off my phone has been a lifesaver on more than one occasion.

Memory slots are less important, I've never felt the need to upgrade there before the rest of the system sunsets anyway.

Graphics: If I'm not ray tracing in 2023 I don't really see the point in upgrading the computer, so that's a hard line among a lot of very very soft ones.

So uh, yeah, if there are tweaks based on that I'm happy to see them.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
For gaming purposes, what speed ram is recommended for a 13700k? Trying to help a friend put together a couple different builds based on the 13700k and the 7800x3d. I know the sweet spot for the x3D is 6000/30 but not sure about the 13700.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Kibner posted:

For gaming purposes, what speed ram is recommended for a 13700k? Trying to help a friend put together a couple different builds based on the 13700k and the 7800x3d. I know the sweet spot for the x3D is 6000/30 but not sure about the 13700.

afaik it's the same for both. Someone else can correct me, but my understanding is 6000/30 is the fastest while being stable generally.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Natural 20 posted:

Hey, thanks a lot for all of this and to everyone else, stuff like this is why I always ask here first.

I'm happy to wait a few weeks so there's no real problem there.

Motherboard stuff: I'm probably setting up surround in my room at some point in the future so future proofing against that will be handy.

I'm mainly concerned with Hard drive slots when it comes to space since I just buy up a new ssd every time I run out and I'll want to transfer 2-3 from the old computer so all my poo poo is in the same place. (Have an old hdd with all my raw recordings, no idea what I'm doing with that fucker)

The other stupid thing I like on my Motherboard is on board WiFi and Bluetooth. The thing's going to have a wired connection of course, but over the years being able to tether off my phone has been a lifesaver on more than one occasion.

Memory slots are less important, I've never felt the need to upgrade there before the rest of the system sunsets anyway.

Graphics: If I'm not ray tracing in 2023 I don't really see the point in upgrading the computer, so that's a hard line among a lot of very very soft ones.

So uh, yeah, if there are tweaks based on that I'm happy to see them.

So, one adjustment, based on all that:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/XMZkqR

I've gone ahead and plopped in an ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F motherboard. It's got a lot of what you're looking for - good built-in sound that can handle a surround setup, built-in wifi (and I think BT, but someone can correct me on that), fairly burly ethernet and a ton of USB variety in the back.

The only drawback is that it has three m.2 slots and only 4 SATAs. For most folks, that's a ton (it's what my board has and I've still got an m.2 and most SATAs free, and that's after plugging in two NVMe drives and an optical of all things), but for the use case you brought up, that might end up being tight. Unfortunately, if you want 4+ m.2s and plenty of SATA without having PCIe bandwidth collisions all over the place, you need to talk about an X670 motherboard chipset, and that gets significantly more expensive. If you want 4 m.2s and at least six SATAs that avoid collision, that's where the discussion of £400 boards of the mother begins to come in.

Still, I think you'd be pretty satisfied with this, and it keeps the final price a bit above £1800. We can see what the announcements look like Monday after next and go from there.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

SpaceDrake posted:

Aside from the XMP advice (which is good, XMP profiles can sometimes cause a little instability, I observed that in my old system toward the end when I remembered to turn on XMP after eight years :shepface:):

Ehhhhh. In that particular case, it might not be your PC configuration, specifically, that's causing the instability. Skylines is, shall we say, a troubled game.

I would love it if it were isolated to one application/game but unfortunately it happened while watching a youtube video as well.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Definitely would try turning off XMP. I had issues with that on my AM4 computer, similar manifestation at times with a complete lock without BSOD. (I ended up backing off CAS latency from 16 to 18 and that fixed my issues)

It’s worth a shot, anyhow.

Tried it with XMP/EXPO turned off but no dice.

I spoke to a few local repair shop guys and they said it was likely not the power supply(PC would shutdown/reboot), RAM (bootable memtest86 passed with no errors), or motherboard (would generate an error). So it could end up being one the two most expensive parts of the build, the CPU or GPU :smithicide:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

I spoke to a few local repair shop guys and they said it was likely not the power supply(PC would shutdown/reboot), RAM (bootable memtest86 passed with no errors), or motherboard (would generate an error). So it could end up being one the two most expensive parts of the build, the CPU or GPU :smithicide:

Yank the GPU out and run off the iGPU for testing.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Wibla posted:

Yank the GPU out and run off the iGPU for testing.

That has crossed my mind, but I'm still working on a reliable trigger for the crash/freeze that isn't running Cities Skylines 2 for 20~ minutes

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

SpaceDrake posted:

Also, speaking of last-generation silicon and saving some bucks, while stock got depleted over Black Friday it looks like vendors have checked under the couch and found more supply, so cheap previous-gen Intel silicon is back on the menu! It's still not quite as low as it was during BFriday (and the iGPU versions are once again charging a full premium for the privilege), but $155 for a 12600KF is still an amazing price and Amazon says they can ship that poo poo before Christmas. It's once again a go-to recommendation for budget builds (though some AM4 Ryzens remain extremely attractive).

So in that spirit, here's a nice general budget build:

PCPartPicker Part List

Good motherboard using very high-end DDR4, an excellent SSD, the previously-mentioned RX 6700XT, a nice case, plenty of power and an SA Mart Windows install factored in. All for less than $1000. Can be adjusted up or down in various places to taste.

Yeah, as a Sandy/Ivy Bridge part, its CPU socket is exclusive to just those chips. You'd need a new motherboard to get a better CPU. As a more-than-decade-old part, it's definitely going to start bottlenecking game apps and other things fairly hard (we've come a long way from the days of four-core non-hyperthreaded CPUs), especially as we go forward, so I would definitely begin budgeting for a full system replacement (which'll probably run $1000-1500, depending) and retiring the current machine to secondary duty (old machines like that are very popular as network-attached storage!) or just storing it.

All my parts came in and I spent today building my PC but it wouldn't boot and I think I found the culprit. I used all the parts listed in part picker in the above. According to the GSKILL QVL the 3600 MT version isn't supported. I'm gonna order the 3200 version of the ripsaws which is on the list unless anyone objects to that and would recommend something else.

Guess I'll link my tech support post here to just in case anyone is curious

BAILOUT MCQUACK! fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 30, 2023

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
Microcenter bundle questions:

I know the thread darling is the AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, Gigabyte B650 Gaming X AX, G.Skill 32GB DDR5-6000 memory Microcenter Bundle. There's another bundle for $100 cheaper that seems to have comparable (if slightly worse) performance: the Intel Core i9-12900K, ASUS Z790-V Prime WiFi DDR5, G.Skill 32GB Kit DDR5 memory kit. Is the 7800X3D really worth the extra $100? My wife is near a Microcenter while traveling and I just want to make sure I pick up the right bundle. I'm upgrading from a SFF Intel i6600k / 16GB DDR4 / 1060 6GB with an ITX motherboard setup, so anything will be an improvement -- just want to make sure the juice is worth the squeeze. I'm doing 1080p resolution and very rarely gaming.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yes absolutely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Ceros_X posted:

Microcenter bundle questions:

I know the thread darling is the AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, Gigabyte B650 Gaming X AX, G.Skill 32GB DDR5-6000 memory Microcenter Bundle. There's another bundle for $100 cheaper that seems to have comparable (if slightly worse) performance: the Intel Core i9-12900K, ASUS Z790-V Prime WiFi DDR5, G.Skill 32GB Kit DDR5 memory kit. Is the 7800X3D really worth the extra $100? My wife is near a Microcenter while traveling and I just want to make sure I pick up the right bundle. I'm upgrading from a SFF Intel i6600k / 16GB DDR4 / 1060 6GB with an ITX motherboard setup, so anything will be an improvement -- just want to make sure the juice is worth the squeeze. I'm doing 1080p resolution and very rarely gaming.

What do you normally use the system for? If gaming is a low concern, the 12900K might perform better for whatever your use case is. We can’t really tell unless you let us know. That said for gaming the 7800X3D thrashes everything else.