Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Slow Horses really amped up the stakes this season and it's been great. Except I was lol'in at the last episode where the dogs pretend to try and kill the people in the document room when they would have just immediately thrown in 3 grenades and been done with it. That's what eventually happens but they wait until one of their own is shot which is lol.

Anyway, they wouldn't have been so mad had River not been a complete dumbass. When that red dot appeared on his chest while talking to Spider I was screaming come oooooon at him, but he wouldn't listen :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Slow Horses really amped up the stakes this season and it's been great. Except I was lol'in at the last episode where the dogs pretend to try and kill the people in the document room when they would have just immediately thrown in 3 grenades and been done with it. That's what eventually happens but they wait until one of their own is shot which is lol.

You can hand wave it away and say they weren't ordered to destroy documents.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
Also it's Chieftain, not the dogs, so you could also handwave it as them not being as competent as actual MI5 dogs would be (and IIRC, that's something called out in the book too).

mystes
May 31, 2006

Problematic Pigeon posted:

Also it's Chieftain, not the dogs, so you could also handwave it as them not being as competent as actual MI5 dogs would be (and IIRC, that's something called out in the book too).
or perhaps Ingrid and crew not minding if people working for chieftain get killed in the process?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They were wannabe soldier private contractors. They were too busy pretending to be badasses to be competent.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
^^^This basically

mystes posted:

or perhaps Ingrid and crew not minding if people working for chieftain get killed in the process?

Well yeah that's part of the reason they're being used, along with Tearney wanting to hide what's going on from MI5 at large. As far as their tactics, in the book at least they're kinda out of their depth and not really prepared for even the small amount of resistance River and Louisa put up. Duffy's not very impressed by them and doesn't really care if some of them die, because at worst he can just kill anyone who manages to survive them and get out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You can tell how bad they are when One of their guys gets shot and they say "man down" and all run away without even grabbing him. They have no idea what they are doing.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Slow Horses Season 3 won’t beat 2 unless Duffy gets whats coming to him in the finale

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Good points! The use of the private contractors also explains why the boss would be so cold blooded about clearing the board cause they ain’t her pawns.

I’m sure Duffy has something coming to him after what he did in the van :(

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

I’m sure Duffy has something coming to him after what he did in the van :(

I was actually sad about that, I figured the dude was too stupid to die but it turned out he was too stupid to live :(

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Merry belated Slow Horses x-mas.

I wasn't expecting Jackson goes Home Alone on their asses, but it was great.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

good season of slow horses surprised they all made it out alive, but I guess that’s what the teaser trailer is for

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

All of the Slow Horses scenes at the records store were really poor.
They would have all been dead within minutes. Weapons arsenal in the boot of the car? Woman who can't hold a gun taking out soldiers? The tiny woman beating a solider in 1-on-1 combat? River shaking off a bomb blast in seconds? Dumb action nonsense which was totally out of place with the rest of the show. I'd be surprised if that is how it was written in the books.

mystes
May 31, 2006

At the end of slow horses, did lamb tell standish about partner because he decided she was going to do something stupid and get herself killed if she stuck around and wanted her to quit, or because he decided that she was finally recovered enough that she could handle knowing? I would have guessed the former but since it appears that she's going to be in the next season based on the preview I guess maybe it's more the latter?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I keep trying to watch slow horses but I’m bad at paying attention and have no idea what’s going on halfway through the first season. Might be better for me to just read the books

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

CaptainN posted:

They would have all been dead within minutes. Weapons arsenal in the boot of the car? Woman who can't hold a gun taking out soldiers? The tiny woman beating a solider in 1-on-1 combat? River shaking off a bomb blast in seconds? Dumb action nonsense which was totally out of place with the rest of the show. I'd be surprised if that is how it was written in the books.

All of those can be explained by telling you to loving relax

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

njsykora posted:

I think the point is more that British TV has usually gone with short (what Americans would call "miniseries") series' for dramas and sitcoms partially down to cost and partially because we don't really use the seasonal system American TV does. Which tends to work very well for streaming where you need to constantly have something new so a 6-8 episode series works very nicely.

Another factor is that a lot of the UK shows are written entirely by the creator so even 5-6 episodes is a lot of work. But often better since it’s a common voice. Once you get more than that you need a writer room and such.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Stegosnaurlax posted:

More specifically, I had this in mind during the whole siege

Problematic Pigeon posted:

^^^This basically

Well yeah that's part of the reason they're being used, along with Tearney wanting to hide what's going on from MI5 at large. As far as their tactics, in the book at least they're kinda out of their depth and not really prepared for even the small amount of resistance River and Louisa put up. Duffy's not very impressed by them and doesn't really care if some of them die, because at worst he can just kill anyone who manages to survive them and get out.

Sch
Nov 17, 2005

bla bla blaufos!bla bla blaconspiracies!bla bla bla

CaptainN posted:

I loved it, very entertaining. The show is always just this side of cartoonish, but they continually manage to pull it off, at least for me, keeping things believable within the universe of the show. The tiger team being completely inept was well established. And all our heroes behaved very true to their characters IMO: Cartwright sees himself as the main character and does indeed end up on top, but mostly by accident. Louisa is quietly competent throughout. Marcus is overconfident in his luck and skills but actually entirely useless while Shirley goes completely savage when put on the spot. Ho comes up with a plan a kid would think is cool. Lamb grumpily Home-Alone-ing the intruders with low-tech traps is just perfect.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sch posted:

I loved it, very entertaining. The show is always just this side of cartoonish, but they continually manage to pull it off, at least for me, keeping things believable within the universe of the show. The tiger team being completely inept was well established. And all our heroes behaved very true to their characters IMO: Cartwright sees himself as the main character and does indeed end up on top, but mostly by accident. Louisa is quietly competent throughout. Marcus is overconfident in his luck and skills but actually entirely useless while Shirley goes completely savage when put on the spot. Ho comes up with a plan a kid would think is cool. Lamb grumpily Home-Alone-ing the intruders with low-tech traps is just perfect.
i actually felt a little bad for ho at just how useless he was lol. like the show wouldn't even let him accidentally help

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

CaptainN posted:

I always do find it amusing how british productions tend to depict firearms so haphazardly. Probably safe to assume that the weapons expert they bring on set to train the actors has never held a gun before themselves, it's just some londoner.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
As far as “woman who can’t hold a gun taking out soldiers” goes, wasn’t it explicitly shown the guns did jam? And besides, theoretically they all have training of some degree due to being in MI5 to begin with, they just hosed up along the way. So they all *should* be at least semi-capable fighters, especially against the airsoft cosplayers that make up the security team

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Hijack was very stupid (though I did watch the whole thing so who’s the stupid one) but its interesting just how much of an international show it was. we’ve come a long way since 9/11

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

As far as “woman who can’t hold a gun taking out soldiers” goes, wasn’t it explicitly shown the guns did jam? And besides, theoretically they all have training of some degree due to being in MI5 to begin with, they just hosed up along the way. So they all *should* be at least semi-capable fighters, especially against the airsoft cosplayers that make up the security team

Both Marcus and Shirley fire guns like people who have never had training. Marcus especially.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

CaptainN posted:

The tiny woman beating a solider in 1-on-1 combat?

Just put this down to her being coked out of her mind.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Both Marcus and Shirley fire guns like people who have never had training. Marcus especially.

Stegosnaurlax posted:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
This cartoon universe MI5 where everything is named after animals does not train its agents in proper gun handling and my immersion is ruined

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Just pointing it out, not getting annoyed by it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sch posted:

I loved it, very entertaining. The show is always just this side of cartoonish, but they continually manage to pull it off, at least for me, keeping things believable within the universe of the show. Ho comes up with a plan a kid would think is cool.

mystes posted:

i actually felt a little bad for ho at just how useless he was lol. like the show wouldn't even let him accidentally help

"Would you care to walk us through your thinking here?" absolutely cracked me up :allears:

Didn't realize this was the thread where all the Slow Horses talk was happening, what a great treat of a show to discover, do we have any idea when season 4 will come out?

Edit:

Sch posted:

Lamb grumpily Home-Alone-ing the intruders with low-tech traps is just perfect.

Loved that guy's,"Ahhh gently caress," reaction when he stepped on the Pringles and realized what he'd done :laugh:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 29, 2023

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Great finale, very happy another season is confirmed.

that loving banister knife slice sound effect :cry:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I actually said "River you loving idiot" at the TV, so I was glad when the final shot revealed that River had made copies of the extremely top secret document that a lot of people died over

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I actually said "River you loving idiot" at the TV, so I was glad when the final shot revealed that River had made copies of the extremely top secret document that a lot of people died over

:yossame:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

it was a very good fakeout because river is indeed a loving idiot a lot of the time

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I would like a short video of River walking into a print shop looking like he did to scan a bunch of documents labeled TOP SECRET or whatever

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Slow Horses: For once I gave River the benefit of the doubt, based purely on his subdued reaction to his grandfather burning the document. Even accounting for his weariness, he's far too dramatic a personality to have just let that go uncommented on if he HADN'T backed up the documents. Plus, to be fair, season one's resolution hinged on River figuring out that Webb wouldn't destroy the Fiasco file so he'd at least have had that on his mind.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Just pointing it out, not getting annoyed by it

I find it amusing personally. Hijack is another great example of silly gun stuff.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The most unrealistic thing about Slow Horses was the idea that the UK press wouldn’t dutifully cover up the document leak for MI5

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I remember reading that Gary Oldman wanted to retire from acting after Slow Horses ended after four seasons, seems they won't let him.

mystes
May 31, 2006

mcbexx posted:

I remember reading that Gary Oldman wanted to retire from acting after Slow Horses ended after four seasons, seems they won't let him.
That should help with method acting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I enjoy River being described as “espionage nepo baby”.