Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
My son, on Prodigy: Is this really Star Trek? There's nothing Star Trek about this.

My son, as the Starfleet emblem is revealed on the door: IT'S STARFLEET.

My son, at the end of the second episode: IT'S CAPTAIN JANEWAY!

Looks like he's sold.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Yeah it starts out like it's a Star Wars kids show but Surprise motherfuckers, we're doing Star Trek! Get ready for some self improvement, Discovery, acceptance, compassion, and cooperation!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Prodigy is on US Netflix now too.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Railing Kill posted:

The NPCs in Trek should either be the most chill or the most traumatized people in history.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
My son begged me to show him "Drone" after I described the premise. The episode opens with 7 and the Doctor talking about their upcoming away mission to a nebula. My son retorts, "I thought we already saw an episode about a nebula?"

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

My son begged me to show him "Drone" after I described the premise. The episode opens with 7 and the Doctor talking about their upcoming away mission to a nebula. My son retorts, "I thought we already saw an episode about a nebula?"

I don't think he's gonna be a Trekkie, sorry

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
To his credit he's currently walking around the living room pretending to fire quantum torpedoes at invisible aliens and he invented his totally originally do not steal species who created Species 8472 (who he is also obsessed with). Their only weakness are the Q.

Janeway is his favorite captain, though he only has Pike and bits of Kirk and Picard to compare her to. He didn't really watch any DS9 with me so he's not on Team The Sisko (yet).

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Janeway is my favourite captain too. She dealt with the most BS and had the hardest gig compared to comfortable Kirk, Pampered Picard, Mr God and a guy on a quantum leap vacation.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Khanstant posted:

Janeway is my favourite captain too. She dealt with the most BS and had the hardest gig compared to comfortable Kirk, Pampered Picard, Mr God and a guy on a quantum leap vacation.

I appreciate that in the Lower Decks episode where they call her out for murdering Tuvix, they also concede that she didn't really have any good options due to the circumstances. So while they are horrified that it was the solution she went with, they also don't condemn her for it.

Tonight's DS9 episode is "Playing God," in which Jadzia acts as a mentor to a young Trill initiate, and also accidentally picks up a proto-universe that threatens to destroy the station. Nice to finally have a Jadzia focus episode where they actually let her do stuff and give her a chance to develop as a character as opposed to just having her be a prop that the plot revolves around.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

W.T. Fits posted:

Tonight's DS9 episode is "Playing God," in which Jadzia acts as a mentor to a young Trill initiate, and also accidentally picks up a proto-universe that threatens to destroy the station. Nice to finally have a Jadzia focus episode where they actually let her do stuff and give her a chance to develop as a character as opposed to just having her be a prop that the plot revolves around.

It still feels a bit like she's a prop. They're so bad at writing her seriously

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

davidspackage posted:

Speaking of controls, I watched the DS9 episode last night where the Defiant gets hit with sabotage, and because they can't use regular communicators, everyone's talking and repeating commands, and Nog has to repeat all of Sisko's commands to Engineering. I guess they were going for like a submarine style operation, but I'm really glad it was just for the one episode (I think?). That poo poo got real old, real fast.

Except that's one of the most realistic parts of the series.

Ever driven a warship from aft steering? All bridge commands are repeated back as standard procedure, even when you're not dealing with comms from completely different compartments of the ship.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Closed-loop communication. Everyone repeats orders back so it's confirmed it's been heard as said.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Have they considered using a sequence number and a checksum as well? They could write a "TCP/IP via Naval Officer" RFC for April Fools.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Closed-loop communication. Everyone repeats orders back so it's confirmed it's been heard as said.

Naval lingo and protocol has you reply to orders with a two-element response: "I understand, and I will comply." Hence the stereotypical "Aye-aye!" It's also acceptable (and often better for clarity) to repeat or summarize the order in place of the first "aye".

Fifteen years out of the Navy and I will still respond to the occasional request or instruction with "<request>, aye!" It's that ingrained.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
As a brigade system veteran I use "heard" or "oui, chef" to this day

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Naval lingo and protocol has you reply to orders with a two-element response: "I understand, and I will comply." Hence the stereotypical "Aye-aye!" It's also acceptable (and often better for clarity) to repeat or summarize the order in place of the first "aye".

Fifteen years out of the Navy and I will still respond to the occasional request or instruction with "<request>, aye!" It's that ingrained.

Ha, I've wound up doing this organically, just because my line manager is so incredibly rambling, imprecise, and absolutely exacting about what she wants.

Can't blame me if it's not what you want, I echoed back what (I thought) you wanted and you agreed!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

AlternateNu posted:

Except that's one of the most realistic parts of the series.

Ever driven a warship from aft steering? All bridge commands are repeated back as standard procedure, even when you're not dealing with comms from completely different compartments of the ship.

That's great! But I don't need it on my space show.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
In tonight's episode of DS9, "Profit and Loss," it's easy to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of sand peas in this crazy quadrant.

Not much to say here. Weird episode, but still fun. Plain, simple Garak was a delight, as he always is.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Quark sure does have some romantic flings over the course of the series.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

davidspackage posted:

It does a good job of adding to the tension in BSG, which turns the space navy dial much higher.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Arivia posted:

It does a good job of adding to the tension in BSG, which turns the space navy dial much higher.

:hmmyes: Star Trek was best with the Navy vibe and the modern series could use more of it

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Eason the Fifth posted:

:hmmyes: Star Trek was best with the Navy vibe and the modern series could use more of it

But wait, they're a peaceful scientific and diplomatic corps...

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
My favorite episodes are the submarine ones. They're so good.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

davidspackage posted:

They do it on every vehicle with more than one person involved in operation

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Watching "Counterpoint" and this episode annoys me for the same reason that the Kazon did: the same people shouldn't be able to show up at multiple points along Voyager's path.

It always makes Voyager feel like the stagnant point and the universe moving around it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Arivia posted:

I’ve said this before, but BSG is the most accurate portrayal of carrier life to ever grace the television.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
This is easily the lamest conclusion to any episode of Voyager.

Yeah sure fascism is incompetent and corrupt all the way down but come on. They'd be able to use Voyager to find the wormhole again which is presumably what they do after the episode ends.

This guy would want revenge and would want it badly.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Just watched the 2022 Directors Cut of TMP. I love this god drat movie so much. My favorite Trek movie

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

A show that didn’t chicken out of doing season-long arcs could have a season featuring aliens with weird drive tech that let them keep up with Voyager, ultimately ending with Voyager either managing to steal that tech or moving beyond its effective area. Imagine if the aliens with the galaxy-wide transporters from season 1 wound up being the recurring antagonists, instead of it somehow being the Kazon again.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Almost anything would have been an improvement to Voyager. I'm just sitting here nodding saying "yeah that would've been cool. Mhm that too."

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

blastron posted:

A show that didn’t chicken out of doing season-long arcs could have a season featuring aliens with weird drive tech that let them keep up with Voyager, ultimately ending with Voyager either managing to steal that tech or moving beyond its effective area. Imagine if the aliens with the galaxy-wide transporters from season 1 wound up being the recurring antagonists, instead of it somehow being the Kazon again.
It shows what a bland unmemorable mush early Voyager was that I can't even recall who the galaxy-wide transporter guys were. I've seen every episode, but...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't the whole thing in Counterpoint that Voyager is going through these guys' territory and because they're so paranoid about telepaths they're stopping them every couple of days to inspect the ship? And they can't go around because it'd add years to their route?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't the whole thing in Counterpoint that Voyager is going through these guys' territory and because they're so paranoid about telepaths they're stopping them every couple of days to inspect the ship? And they can't go around because it'd add years to their route?

Yes, but it's more like weeks between stops and the inspector always fucks off to some other locale to do another mission between inspections.

Like imagine a truck crossing the United States at the Mexican and then Canadian borders. Unless the same patrol vehicle followed them the whole way, which doesn't happen because Janeway is able to rescue telepaths in their space, then you have to assume that they have a way to "fly" across their own territory. But this doesn't make sense given what we know about warp and transwarp technology.

There's just a gap in logic there that's never really addressed.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yes, but it's more like weeks between stops and the inspector always fucks off to some other locale to do another mission between inspections.

Like imagine a truck crossing the United States at the Mexican and then Canadian borders. Unless the same patrol vehicle followed them the whole way, which doesn't happen because Janeway is able to rescue telepaths in their space, then you have to assume that they have a way to "fly" across their own territory. But this doesn't make sense given what we know about warp and transwarp technology.

There's just a gap in logic there that's never really addressed.

they kinda-sorta address it -- the inspector's assistant is constantly on Janeway about course deviations away from the route that the Devore imposed on them as the condition for allowing them to cross, and it sounds and looks like the route is circuitous enough that the inspector assigned to them can easily catch up to them by flying through regions that Voyager's not allowed to enter

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Small Strange Bird posted:

It shows what a bland unmemorable mush early Voyager was that I can't even recall who the galaxy-wide transporter guys were. I've seen every episode, but...
Everyone in their society was horny and an attractive woman teleported Harry alone to her special romance planet and all he could think about was the transporter. Then Tuvok disobeys Janeway and everyone almost dies.

e: The episode was Prime Factors.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I thought the telepath hating guys were in literally one episode?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Sash! posted:

I thought the telepath hating guys were in literally one episode?

They are, but it's weeks and possibly months of Voyager's journey.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Lord Hydronium posted:

Everyone in their society was horny and an attractive woman teleported Harry alone to her special romance planet and all he could think about was the transporter.

Hey, that's the sort of thinking that's going to get me promoted to Lieutenant (JG) someday!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
No spoilers but Paris was recently demoted and I suspect he'll get his pip back before Kim gets his second for the first time.