Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

TinTower posted:

it's more Ridge Holland being involved than the injury storyline

it's not even the only "botch machine doing worked botches" storyline WWE have going at the moment

I suspect op meant Samoa Joe faking his leg injury

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Given the pieces they had, that’s the best combination. Besides there’s poetry in Joe deciding to upgrade from being the king of tv to being a king in hell.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

TinTower posted:

https://twitter.com/VinceMcMahonMan/status/1740184406059528416

Nobody tell this guy what happens after the block matches in the G1.

I know that all of us know, but for the people lurking the thread that might not know, what does happen after the block matches in the G1?

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

TinTower posted:

I'm not a fan of the Devil storyline either, but come the gently caress on, last night wasn't even the stupidest betrayal involving a Samoan called Joe this year.

https://twitter.com/italkwrasslin/status/1740209594788610265

Meanwhile, over in NXT, Ilja Dragunov recovered from having his neck broken by Ridge Holland in the space of a week.

Make up your loving minds, wrestling fans: do you want storyline progression or not

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Vandar posted:

I know that all of us know, but for the people lurking the thread that might not know, what does happen after the block matches in the G1?

The block winners and runners up compete in a mini elimination final tournament of singles matches, just like in the CC.

Meanwhile, people not in the final matches usually end up in their own feuds going forward built off of results of matches in the tournament, often including someone usually beating the champion in the earlier tournament becoming the challenger for Power Struggle or whatever the next PPV is.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Has the G1 ever had a match in the block finals be no DQ no countout

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Hoss Corncave posted:

final tournament of singles matches, just like in the CC

I'm afraid I've got some bad news. -- Bad News Barrett

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

almost all of the matches end in no dq or countout

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Cavauro posted:

almost all of the matches end in no dq or countout

What is this, WCW in the 2000s?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

apophenium posted:

Has the G1 ever had a match in the block finals be no DQ no countout

I don’t think the G1 has had an unbreakable tie before.

But complaining about a triple threat match being no-DQ and no-countout is up there with complaining that battle royal participants spend most of their time sitting by the ropes and not interfering with other wrestlers doing spots.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It doesn't sour me on the quality of match but it did annoy me that we had steel chair stuff in the C2 block final and it's just shrugged off as being the dumb three way rules.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

TinTower posted:

I don’t think the G1 has had an unbreakable tie before.

But complaining about a triple threat match being no-DQ and no-countout is up there with complaining that battle royal participants spend most of their time sitting by the ropes and not interfering with other wrestlers doing spots.

The first one had an unbreakable tie with Hashimoto and Chono. They decided it with a decision match the same night as the grand final. Chono won that, then followed it up by scoring his first pinfall victory ever over Muto.

Champion Carnival had an unbreakable three way tie with Kawada, Kobashi, and Misawa. This was decided with a one night three man round robin. Kawada wrestled Kobashi, won; Misawa then wrestled Kobashi, who took him to a 30 minute draw; then Kawada beat Misawa in about eight minutes to win the Carnival.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

The Cameo posted:

The first one had an unbreakable tie with Hashimoto and Chono. They decided it with a decision match the same night as the grand final. Chono won that, then followed it up by scoring his first pinfall victory ever over Muto.

Champion Carnival had an unbreakable three way tie with Kawada, Kobashi, and Misawa. This was decided with a one night three man round robin. Kawada wrestled Kobashi, won; Misawa then wrestled Kobashi, who took him to a 30 minute draw; then Kawada beat Misawa in about eight minutes to win the Carnival.

Well, I can admit I was mistaken.

But yeah, the point is that the “oh no, we have an unbreakable tie, we need to break it with more wrestling” isn’t that stupid creatively, and a triple-threat match isn’t the stupidest way to have three go in equal and one come out victorious.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It doesn't sour me on the quality of match but it did annoy me that we had steel chair stuff in the C2 block final and it's just shrugged off as being the dumb three way rules.

I liked it because it guarantees a winner.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
There are legitimate criticism of using Shoot Outs in Soccer and Hockey, but real sports indeed do use these kind of things to decide outcomes even if it isn't perfectly in line with the ideals of the sport.

In this case, they are already deciding part of a singles tourney with a 3 way, so I'm not too offended that a chair got involved.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Some dudes on Twitter said that Seth Rollins is a better Eddie Kingston than Eddie

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

ARMBAR A COP posted:

Some dudes on Twitter said that Seth Rollins is a better Eddie Kingston than Eddie

Seth Rollins is a better Shawn Michaels than Dolph Ziggler but idk about going much further than that

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Seth Rollins is the Dolph Ziggler of Johnny TVs

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

ARMBAR A COP posted:

people say all sorts of stuff on there.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Lamuella posted:

Seth Rollins is the Dolph Ziggler of Johnny TVs

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Vandar posted:

This is a novel idea, but you simply book the tournament in such a way that you don't have a tie-breaker to separate everyone. Make one of the rules that the guy with the shortest combined match time of the 3 goes through or something. You can have any number of dumb tiebreakers without needing to book a 3 way match with No DQs. Hell, you can just book a regular match & not hit each other with chairs, or do it when the ref is knocked out if you must. Or and here's an idea, have guy who hits his opponent with the chair get eliminated so you can just then go into a singles match between the last 2 guys. Whatever.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I think that it should have been an elimination three way anyway so there was a clear second place.

gently caress off with saving someone from a clean pin in a round robin tournament.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
For what it’s worth if New Japan did it it’d be the Sumo style thing I suspect - they’ve never done it but in the last few years it’s been done by Stardom, AJPW and WAVE at least.

Also in Japan three way matches are not generally not no DQ/no Countout: Stardom historically always would throw in a mid-match DQ in a three way (other two carried on; so it didn’t end the match but eliminated those DQd/counted out) so even if they did one it wouldn’t involve weapons.

I think the silly thing to me is that if you want to establish the rules doing the shock unbreakable tie first is a bit silly; I’d at least do a few tournaments first. It’s not a major thing - I personally would have had the semis be A1 vs B2 and B1 vs A2 to give an extra unique match - but not ideal.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/LuisGon43193105/status/1740494178147324301

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

wrestlers don't sell anymore

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I dare any of these people who endlessly moan about psychology to identify what selling actually means beyond "working the leg"

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

fart blood posted:

Make up your loving minds, wrestling fans: do you want storyline progression or not

I blame fedbrain because NOAH heads know how pointless turns can sometime yield great matches.

Plus it ties Joe into the face of the Devil Crew, which I know some people groan about. However it shows(rather than tells) character development because he's usually the one chumped by ninjas. It shows the inherit cowardice of Joe and why the triumphant babyface MJF is going to beat his rear end one handed.

coconono fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 29, 2023

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

ARMBAR A COP posted:

I didn't know Seth Rollins hated himself that much.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
What's even the comparison they're trying to make between Rollins and Kingston? They're like, nothing alike???

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?

Drakkel posted:

I dare any of these people who endlessly moan about psychology to identify what selling actually means beyond "working the leg"

Yeah it's when you break your neck and then come back to work next week perfectly fine

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/BossManSays_/status/1740487888784306342

https://twitter.com/BossManSays_/status/1737276244150903229

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.
That's just too easy

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
3+ hour podcast about nxt.

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014

The Cameo posted:

Who in the world decided that an unbreakable 3 way tie should be decided in a round robin that could produce another unbreakable 3 way tie

TinTower posted:

Well, I can admit I was mistaken.

But yeah, the point is that the “oh no, we have an unbreakable tie, we need to break it with more wrestling” isn’t that stupid creatively, and a triple-threat match isn’t the stupidest way to have three go in equal and one come out victorious.

WWE does triple threats all the time to decide number 1 contenders. It's only bad when AEW does it because...

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

mooseinfants posted:

Who in the world decided that an unbreakable 3 way tie should be decided in a round robin that could produce another unbreakable 3 way tie

Giant Baba

All Japan realised their mistake and later amended the rules into a Tomoe match which was a three person round robin but only ended when a person won by taking two matches in a row rather than just one run through

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Can't think why Tony Khan is private about his relationship what with all those normal people out there.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

fez_machine posted:

wrestlers don't sell anymore

the great thing in that clip is; while it might have been unintentional, Bryan hit him in the shoulder!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Lamuella posted:

Can't think why Tony Khan is private about his relationship what with all those normal people out there.

also the relationships we do know about have been extremely attractive women

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/wwe_wwf_junkie/status/1740207538350813249?s=46

Of course, WWE would never, in the year of Luigi 2023, make its talent work the Christmas holidays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Looking at the thumbnail for the video, this is obviously a weekly show he's fantasy booking here which will lead to the monthly PPV. However, considering this is a guy who thinks Tony Khan is a terrible booker, why is he then booking a show which gives away big name matches on TV?