Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bravesword posted:

Is is really a curse if you actively seek out bad-character guys because you think you’re getting a good value on them, and value is the only thing your organization cares about

I mean from the player perspective, being drafted by them is clearly bad news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
https://x.com/awfulannouncing/status/1740561153946943949?s=46&t=qe_Y8YJnNikGLo_JUDPyAQ

Get their asses Al

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

The Rays really know how to pick ‘em, here’s just the first rounders:

1999 - Josh Hamilton, generational talent and generational drug addiction
2000 - Rocco Baldelli, perennial all-star potential derailed by genetic metabolic disorder, not his fault
2001 - Dewon Brazelton, wife-beater
2003 - Delmon Young, has a “legal issues” section on Wikipedia
2010 - Josh Sale, two drug suspensions and one strip club video in 12 months
2011 - Brandon Martin, convicted of triple murder

2010 - signed Matt Bush, former #1 pick (2004), who'd already been in legal trouble 3 times after being drafted (that we know about) and went on to run over an elderly man while drunk after stealing his roommate's car

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/t_masahiro18/status/1740593573861699675

BRING. HIM. HOME.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Did he ever get arm surgery? He was so good and then tore it and was never the same.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
https://twitter.com/NPBDiscord/status/1740607289718165994?t=heIq_q43__vK8nLGxzr-WA&s=19

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Too bad he can't pull a My Next Chapter until 2029.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Does Darvish not understand that the guy who was willing to spend whatever it took to win (apparently because he was dying) isn’t there anymore?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Could have had the San Diego Ham Fighters, dang

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

yu come back to chicago, we'll give them all the guys we traded for you except owen caissie.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

chicago cubs legend Andrelton Simmons has retired.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
remember how a bunch of crank baseball insiders said shohei and yamamoto were selfishly holding up the free agent market?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

chicago cubs legend Andrelton Simmons has retired.
Reports I saw yesterday were unclear -- he was drafted for the upcoming season of that Baseball United league; is he backing out of that or just retiring from MLB?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

R.D. Mangles posted:

yu come back to chicago, we'll give them all the guys we traded for you except owen caissie.

Yu darvish will lead a rag tag team of mostly pre arb and 1-2yr FAs to 87 wins and slay the dodgers in the nlcs 4-1.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Mustached Demon posted:

Yu darvish will lead a rag tag team of mostly pre arb and 1-2yr FAs to 87 wins and slay the dodgers in the nlcs 4-1.

Don't tease my like this. I've been waiting for the Dads to break big since like 2012. I really thought last year was gonna be the year.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
When did hats get so expensive? I was looking and even snapbacks are $30+ what the gently caress

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Intruder posted:

When did hats get so expensive? I was looking and even snapbacks are $30+ what the gently caress

I have no idea, but it blew my mind when a buddy found me a Peagle hat over the summer and told me they were 45 goddamn American dollars.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Intruder posted:

In 2019 when Lids got bought out by a venture capital group

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

lmao, that owns

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I guess someone on Fox claimed Frank Thomas was dead? They may have confused him with the ex-Pirates player.

https://twitter.com/thebighurt_35/status/1740787452091240690?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Frank Thomas was one of I think 4 guys to hold the title of Oldest Living Met in less than 2 years. Right now it's Willie Mays.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Giolito to Boston

It’s a two-year deal with an opt-out after 2024 and some random playing time/option fuckery for 2026

I wonder if he’ll miss having Reynaldo Lopez around

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1740869971788640705

I kinda feel like this is just a one year deal with a bunch of ultimately pointless junk tacked on. Even if Giolito doesn't bounce back he's got the past success and pedigree to beat a $19M AAV for 2025, and third year contains a mutual option that's never going to get picked up because nobody ever picks up mutual options. Unless Giolito's arm falls off next year this is an effective 1/18 deal.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
If he gets 18 million a year coming off of a horrible season, Monty will get 25+

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm shocked how much he got. I didn't think he would come close to that AAV

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!
I’ll never be mad at a dude for getting paid but god drat it must be great to be dogshit mediocre at your job and get nearly twenty million dollars a year for it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Never mind

FlamingLiberal fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 30, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Giolito isn't a lefty

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

No idea why I thought that

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

starting pitchers with pulses are getting like, 8 million dollar contracts this offseason, so someone who you can dream on being an "ace" (even though half his career is good #2 guy, and half his career is dogshit) is gonna get paid

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Chief McHeath posted:

I’ll never be mad at a dude for getting paid but god drat it must be great to be dogshit mediocre at your job and get nearly twenty million dollars a year for it.

It turns out it is incredibly difficult to be even dogshit mediocre in the MLB

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah a guy who shits out a 4.98 ERA over a full MLB season is still in the upper, upper, upper echelons of guys who can throw a baseball on the planet.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sydin posted:

Yeah a guy who shits out a 4.98 ERA over a full MLB season is still in the upper, upper, upper echelons of guys who can throw a baseball on the planet.

I'd take a starter who has under 5 ERA and pitches 180-200 innings for sure.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

(although technically Giolito doesn't apply since he throws around 170 IP a year)

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

only one MLB player can underperform this metric and they're a WS winning 4x rawlings golden glove awardee

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Trying to figure out who those pitchers are based upon the IP.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

maffew buildings posted:

only one MLB player can underperform this metric and they're a WS winning 4x rawlings golden glove awardee

Jason Heyward has five golden gloves.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

General Bullshit posted:

My immediate thought was Adam Wainwright, but then I looked it up and the only pitcher who ever led the league in IP at 228.2 was Sandy Alcantara, and the rest of the numbers don't match for him.

E: oops, I was only looking at NL. It is James Shields

Kevlar v2.0 fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 30, 2023

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

General Bullshit posted:

The one on the right is easy to find since you can view league leaders in a single category by year it's James Shields

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

My immediate thought was Adam Wainwright, but then I looked it up and the only pitcher who ever led the league in IP at 228.2 was Sandy Alcantara, and the rest of the numbers don't match

Bold is led their league, bold and italics is led MLB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I knew before I posted, that this specific reply would be made by someone.

I don’t have any problem with someone who is dogshit mediocre at their job being paid $20 million a year if their dogshit mediocre skills relative to their peers dictate that $20 million is their value. Just the fact that for an overwhelming majority of people on earth, that’s many multiple lifetimes worth of income is still kind of astonishing.

Eat the rich, even the players, but owners first.