Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
It hilarious how they're like, oh if you actually own thing in a game you can buy one thing in one game and then use it in another!

Like there is so many things wrong with that if you think about it more than a second. Fortunately that's too much thought to put into think about things for crypto-bros.

The biggest one that makes it a non-starter is why would any developer want to spend time making sure their game supports stuff another developer made money, when they could just make something similar, but you know more suitable to be used in their game, and sell it themselves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

SettingSun posted:

The concept of digital ownership is hammered constantly in crypto games. You don't own anything in the games you play! Well no poo poo. That isn't a problem, let alone one that needs to be addressed.

People fretting about how everything's moving to digital and what that means for ownership isn't crazy. There's a lot of room to complain about how everyone wants to sell you a limited license to use their thing these days, which means that resale in particular is out of the question. Which is kind of the point, Sony and Microsoft and Nintendo etc. don't want you selling your used game onto the second hand market where another person can buy it for a discounted price, they want that person buying another copy of it from them.

But the idea that crypto or NFTs are the solution to this is loving laughable.

The poo poo where these people are broke brained enough by the MTX ecosystems they've become familiar with to conceptualize of it as being able to port your awesome hat and epic weapon form game to game like it's Ready Player One is just sad.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The even funnier thing is that no crypto game even tries to implement cross game compatibility. That idea didn't make it off of the paper. They're having a hard enough of a time making something that could pass as a game, and not a just shoddy façade for their cryptocoin or NFTs.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Also if a digital game item is going to have cross game compatibility then that means you gonna need some sort of game item compatibility standard and what not. Doesn't that just mean people will be able to create their own items that fit those standards and use them, which than gets rid of any reason why you would be buying items for games of a publisher.

Seems like it's just allowing skin/weapon mods with a bunch of unnecessary steps.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

dr_rat posted:

Also if a digital game item is going to have cross game compatibility then that means you gonna need some sort of game item compatibility standard and what not. Doesn't that just mean people will be able to create their own items that fit those standards and use them, which than gets rid of any reason why you would be buying items for games of a publisher.

Seems like it's just allowing skin/weapon mods with a bunch of unnecessary steps.

It’s the same sort of bong rip “whoa wouldn’t it be cool to have luke skywalker’s lightsaber in dark souls maaaan?” Pie in the sky idea man bullshit as 99.9% of crypto/nft bullshit.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

These people have literally no idea how anything works, they are Dunning Kruger made manifest.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Pig-butchering came from Chinese people scamming men/women on Chinese dating sites. 殺豬盤, literally the "pig killing plate" Not sure why someone else is going with exploitation/colonization of countries... but it's not that. It's literally just love scams

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

dr_rat posted:

It hilarious how they're like, oh if you actually own thing in a game you can buy one thing in one game and then use it in another!

Like there is so many things wrong with that if you think about it more than a second. Fortunately that's too much thought to put into think about things for crypto-bros.

The biggest one that makes it a non-starter is why would any developer want to spend time making sure their game supports stuff another developer made money, when they could just make something similar, but you know more suitable to be used in their game, and sell it themselves?

Is the suggestion that you can 'own' a sick weapon in Diablo and because you own it you can use it in Fallout as well? Because that seems quite dumb.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

gay picnic defence posted:

Is the suggestion that you can 'own' a sick weapon in Diablo and because you own it you can use it in Fallout as well? Because that seems quite dumb.

The original videogame NFT pitch was:

"What if there was a limited quantity of any good thing in games, and you could own it, and use it to either have a permanent gameplay advantage or sell/rent it to others for money." which by itself is a plausible (but deeply stupid) concept.

At which point someone then added:

"Also since you now own the thing they can't just patch it out or shut down the game, you can take it with you to other games, even!" which sounded like some sort of insane bullshit belched out by an MBA that had never played a loving videogame.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

still waiting to use death's sickle from bill and ted's mobile game inside of nba 2k24. why haven't they implemented this yet?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Ring of Jordan I legitimately found in D2 should carry over to Fallout

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

There's a quote that pops up when I ask for it because I never remember to save it, but it's basically a buttcoin booster who envisions a future where he grinds in game x to gain an advantage in game y, selling an asset in game f to get an edge in yet a different game and it's the biggest brain dead boast about the "utility" of blockchain without explaining either why blockchain is needed, how it's even supposed to work, or why indeed this is a future anyone should desire unless their livelihood depends on the enshittification of all gaming forever.

Just the biggest self-parody that makes satire impossible with the general crypto space.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

I found the Ring of Jordan in NBA, is it the same thing?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I remember that and I wish I could find the source. The basic of it is playing game A to get items you can use in game B and so on until you get to game Q which is a raid for a fantastically rare item whose drop rate is...5%.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

kw0134 posted:

There's a quote that pops up when I ask for it because I never remember to save it, but it's basically a buttcoin booster who envisions a future where he grinds in game x to gain an advantage in game y, selling an asset in game f to get an edge in yet a different game and it's the biggest brain dead boast about the "utility" of blockchain without explaining either why blockchain is needed, how it's even supposed to work, or why indeed this is a future anyone should desire unless their livelihood depends on the enshittification of all gaming forever.

Just the biggest self-parody that makes satire impossible with the general crypto space.
This one?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Yes, thank you. Read it and weep, because apparently that guy was serious and thought posting it was a good idea.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

kw0134 posted:

and it's the biggest brain dead boast about the "utility" of blockchain without explaining either why blockchain is needed, how it's even supposed to work, or why indeed this is a future anyone should desire unless their livelihood depends on the enshittification of all gaming forever.

I'm trying to remember the interview, but there was some guy who worked doing high up tech stuff at one of the big US banks, and he was saying he'd been hearing about blockchain stuff for a while, and he'd just been put off looking into it, but at point he was just, okay a whole bunch of banks are heavily investing in this I really need to look into this see what it's actually all about. He goes to a lot of the heads of the companies doing blockchain stuff, talks to higher ups in different blockchain projects and what not for a while. After that he said he found pretty much all the blockchain investment stuff is just people throwing "blockchain" what ever into per-existing ideas as a way to get investors, and the very few project he found that were using blockchain in acutal interesting ways that used the technology still could of been done much better with other technology.

Also it makes sense that people saying that game items could be put on blockchain stuff and used in other games don't know much about games, as you look at nearly ever art NFT investor, and read what they say about it, they care gently caress all about art. It's just trying to make a new thing to invest in, who cares what it is, or if it good/serves any purpose. The key thing is, is it new enough they can get on the ground floor of a new big investment.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Professor Shark posted:

Strong Sauce posted:

still waiting to use death's sickle from bill and ted's mobile game inside of nba 2k24. why haven't they implemented this yet?

Come on, dream big.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The "one NFT, multiple uses over games" thing isn't completely implausible. In much the same way that tapping the same Amiibo on different games gives you different results, so could each game see the NFT and interpret it accordingly. For example, the NFT that Deadrop interprets as a Pepe gun skin could be interpreted by Axie Infinity as a Pepe-based Axie.

But that's my non-programmer perspective on relative ease, for all I know it could actually be monstrously difficult. This is, of course, overlooking things like "you'd have to get people to agree to support the same NFTs," and negotiating things like "you increased the drop rate for this thing in your game and wound up loving up our game," or any other number of problems, foremost among them being "once you incentive this poo poo via money, the Money People show up and turn your game to an even bigger piece of loving poo poo than it already was."

Or, to steal and subsequently mangle a quote from Dan Olson I can't be assed to dig out of Twitter, you shouldn't be thinking about games where you can rent out your sword. You should be thinking about games where you have to rent your sword.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

wow this nft thing might actually work...
okay seriously cool video though.

i know the entire thing is one completely stupid exercise in wishful thinking, but that giant or whatever that drops the thing at a 5% rate and there's only 4 of them... so only 80 people have tried to grind a boss over the lifetime of the game, or at least the introduction of the giant? well i guess when you think of some nft mmorpg; getting people to run a quest 80 times is probably a huge achievement in itself.

MechaCrash posted:

The "one NFT, multiple uses over games" thing isn't completely implausible. In much the same way that tapping the same Amiibo on different games gives you different results, so could each game see the NFT and interpret it accordingly. For example, the NFT that Deadrop interprets as a Pepe gun skin could be interpreted by Axie Infinity as a Pepe-based Axie.

But that's my non-programmer perspective on relative ease, for all I know it could actually be monstrously difficult. This is, of course, overlooking things like "you'd have to get people to agree to support the same NFTs," and negotiating things like "you increased the drop rate for this thing in your game and wound up loving up our game," or any other number of problems, foremost among them being "once you incentive this poo poo via money, the Money People show up and turn your game to an even bigger piece of loving poo poo than it already was."

Or, to steal and subsequently mangle a quote from Dan Olson I can't be assed to dig out of Twitter, you shouldn't be thinking about games where you can rent out your sword. You should be thinking about games where you have to rent your sword.
the difficulty isn't implementation. the difficulty is why would any separate entities agree to any of this. and also WHY DOES IT NEED TO BE ON THE BLOCKCHAIN, especially because no company would ever let their IP be uncontrolled by them.

the whole concept runs into a wall because nintendo would not let an amiibo get scanned to have a nude patch or something very kid unfriendly, they control that entire process and have final approval. what benefits would they have in allowing some weirdos access to their IP. it's all just completely dumb wishful thinking from people who have never thought of anything past, "how do i grift more with my cryptocurrency?"

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

PurpleXVI posted:

The original videogame NFT pitch was:

"What if there was a limited quantity of any good thing in games, and you could own it, and use it to either have a permanent gameplay advantage or sell/rent it to others for money." which by itself is a plausible (but deeply stupid) concept.

Isn't this what Fortnite is going to turn into now

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

https://youtu.be/zB55vXXawpU?si=AQNg5tdMqHAMJNHV

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, and even then Amiibos are their own thing being made and controlled by a single company, and the last survivors of the toys-to-life fad (as well as its progenitors) because they kept to actually being accessories and figurines first, cute side bonuses rather than the entire focus of a franchise that implicitly requires ongoing support for dozens to hundreds of figures. (remember when game stores had literal plastic bins full of clearance price Skylanders? Also reminded there's Donkey Kong and Bowser Skylanders that also double as Amiibos, ha) Even the most basic implementation of such is very difficult to do. See also Pokemon and how in theory the GBA games onward are compatible with the most modern ones but in practice it's a complicated mess that iirc they're dropping support for soon.

It's really just the most surface level poo poo from people looking at cross-media franchises without taking a second to look at or think about how difficult it is in practice.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Strong Sauce posted:

the difficulty isn't implementation.

Nah there's also difficulty in implementation. Anything other than skins runs into balance issues, and the more different games that took it up the more this would be an issue. Skins/weapon/character models (could have just a skin unless everyone decide oh yeah why don't we all just use the same character/weapon model, that won't be limiting at all!!!), first if your not running on the same engine your probably going to have at least some issues and even on the same engine different games will of modified it in different ways, and use different rendering features and have different art styles, and just it would be a huge pain. Like I'm sure you could make it happen if developers/publishers really wanted to but it would be a lot of effort and yeah that goes to the second point.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I'm going to glitch Missingno. into Counter-Strike, and they can't patch it out, because it's on the blockchain

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

dr_rat posted:

Nah there's also difficulty in implementation. Anything other than skins runs into balance issues, and the more different games that took it up the more this would be an issue. Skins/weapon/character models (could have just a skin unless everyone decide oh yeah why don't we all just use the same character/weapon model, that won't be limiting at all!!!), first if your not running on the same engine your probably going to have at least some issues and even on the same engine different games will of modified it in different ways, and use different rendering features and have different art styles, and just it would be a huge pain. Like I'm sure you could make it happen if developers/publishers really wanted to but it would be a lot of effort and yeah that goes to the second point.

Skins have massive balance issues too. Every couple months there is a massive kerfluffle over another pay to win skin in some game. One was one that made you basically invisible in some call of duty game.

Basically if it’s multiplayer and interacts with the game world in any way it needs to be balanced around.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Strong Sauce posted:

i know the entire thing is one completely stupid exercise in wishful thinking, but that giant or whatever that drops the thing at a 5% rate and there's only 4 of them... so only 80 people have tried to grind a boss over the lifetime of the game, or at least the introduction of the giant? well i guess when you think of some nft mmorpg; getting people to run a quest 80 times is probably a huge achievement in itself.
I think the idea is that there will only ever be 4 in existence, so once someone picks up the fourth then there won't be any more. So you'd better act fast, or someone will take it before you!!!

But this is another reason the idea can never work: in an MMORPG, there are going to be expansions and new content, and in order to keep people playing, the stuff in the new content needs to be better than the stuff that was previously available. So that stupidly rare Immaculate Orb you spent weeks grinding for? It's going to be worthless in a few months, because a random common drop in the expansion is going to have better stats.

Also, even if this blockchain MMORPG ever comes to pass, you know there are going to be organized teams of people playing 24/7 who are going to get all the drops within the first few hours anyway. You already see this with "world first" competitions in new MMORPG raids and such. So why bother even trying to get the rare drops when you know they're going to be gone by the time you even get a chance at them?

There's a reason this post was so ridiculed; it's clearly written by someone who has absolutely no idea how people actually play games.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

istewart posted:

I'm going to glitch Missingno. into Counter-Strike, and they can't patch it out, because it's on the blockchain

This is actually a problem with NFT CCGs. A card on the blockchain is both unique and immutable so if it's broken as poo poo there is nothing to be done about it except tell the one person who owns it they can't play with it.

Well, it might be an issue if any game like that had a playerbase.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

wasnt there a similar post where it was nfts and your fastfood receipts were traded on exchanges and you had to manage a dozen exchanges and accounts to ensure your wealth-

oopppps your nfts were stolen or someshit. your retirement plan is gone.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

PhazonLink posted:

your fastfood receipts were traded on exchanges

all my burgs gone

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I remember they were talking about how you could have your plane tickets and concert tickets as nfts and people would buy them...for some reason.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Implementing tons of new skins in a game is expensive as hell. Some of the most popular live service games burn like millions a month doing little other than adding skins. You're not going to bring assets over from another game.

When they put Link in Skyrim on Switch they didn't just drop link_zeldagame.model in the project, they got source art and recreated him, rigged him for the Skyrim player skeleton, redid all his animations to look and act both Skyrim-y and Zelda-y at the same time, accounted for lighting, redid a bunch of audio, the list goes on.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Come now falafel, when I was a kid I was able to add Optimus Prime to my Batman playset simply by bashing the action figures together and making the whoosh sounds with my mouth. Videogames are the same but on a computer, and they get on the computer by jamming them into the fan holes until your dad yells at you.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I think you can do that in fortnite though lol

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I blame Smash Bros for all of this stupid ideas

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

You don't have to be a programmer to consider the ramifications of being able to "import" anything anywhere. What does it even mean to be able to use the sweet new legendary axe in World of Warcraft in a game like Cities: Skyline? How does having Link from Breath of the Wild do anything in Call of Duty? Why the gently caress is doing Candy Crush a necessary part of playing Armored Core? Let me export my Elden Ring build to the "blockchain" and turn on Fire Emblems: Three Houses and...uh....

Even if the blockchain was a magical universal asset storage place that allowed disparate programs to install arbitrary code/assets, it fundamentally makes no sense as a game to do so. Does having the BFG from Doom mean I get to blow up all the pieces in Tetris whenever I want? Do I kill Tom Nook with it in Animal Crossing?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

kw0134 posted:

You don't have to be a programmer to consider the ramifications of being able to "import" anything anywhere. What does it even mean to be able to use the sweet new legendary axe in World of Warcraft in a game like Cities: Skyline? How does having Link from Breath of the Wild do anything in Call of Duty? Why the gently caress is doing Candy Crush a necessary part of playing Armored Core? Let me export my Elden Ring build to the "blockchain" and turn on Fire Emblems: Three Houses and...uh....

Even if the blockchain was a magical universal asset storage place that allowed disparate programs to install arbitrary code/assets, it fundamentally makes no sense as a game to do so. Does having the BFG from Doom mean I get to blow up all the pieces in Tetris whenever I want? Do I kill Tom Nook with it in Animal Crossing?

I'M SORRY I CANT HEAR YOU AS I'M ON THE MOON DRIVING MY LAMBO1

Got to laugh at the 'It has a 5% of dropping and there are only 4 in existence' part.
Dude has no loving idea.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

It's funny that people pick up on that part (which is obviously hilariously wrong) but the idea that playing a fantasy MMO is going to matter in an upcoming Star Citizen like game should be ringing enormous alarm bells. Yes, I want to make my off time a series of never ending tasks to accomplish things in completely and wildly different genres. Man, I just can't beat this boss in Dark Souls, maybe if I S-rank a few puzzles in Professor Layton I can get by it!

Maybe you don't know specific game mechanics or whatever and are winging it, but an assertion like that says a lot about the games he plays -- that is, none at all.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yes my favorite thing to do in games. Instead of just grinding in one game get better at that game it’s considered a feature of the future to grind in 8 games to get good at one game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Boxturret posted:

I remember they were talking about how you could have your plane tickets and concert tickets as nfts and people would buy them...for some reason.

Yeah but imagine for a second if that ticket nft was also tied to A PIECE OF ART now who sounds like an idiot?

(Yes this was really part of the pitch)