Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

War and Pieces posted:

Making a flyer, What's the best way to spell "magic" to get more people to go my ritual orgy?

upside down pineapple with a witch hat, no text other than the address

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
someone please trick me into believing in magic

I love any media, no matter how trashy (from supernatural to x files) on the occult

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

a helpful bear posted:

I love any media, no matter how trashy (from supernatural to x files) on the occult

go to church, pray for forgiveness for your sins...that is the real magic

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Jesus, please use your magic to turn this Prime Hydration into 4Loko.....

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
thats a specific gift of the spirit...........you can ask but id be surprised if it worked out

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

a helpful bear posted:

get some chaos magick books

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

a helpful bear posted:

do you know who else believed in magic? that's right

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
the nazi party had some occultist roots

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariosophy

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
it was occultist for pretty much the whole thing

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
they wanted to find and weaponize santa clause

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

tristeham posted:

the nazi party had some occultist roots

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariosophy

that's also the root of crowley bullshit. and it's connected to hollow earth, scientology, mormonism, satanic rocket scientists, and more!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
posting some self help for the baby witches itt

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

posting some self help for the baby witches itt

goons with spoons poster

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

crepeface posted:

goons with spoons poster

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
sexy spam

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

no calories in the beer, contrary to the wine; my wishes have been granted!

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I don't know anything, but I do know that this movie is my favorite witch content atm.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

a helpful bear posted:

As a serious answer I read a paper yesterday which I found quite interesting. It is pretty dense if academia on magic and religion isn't your usual thing but it is talking about how in the Classical age magic gets defined as deviant belief and activity but in antiquity it is effectively synonymous with religion by any meaningful set of definitions.

Towards Historicizing "Magic" in Antiquity

quote:

ABSTRACT

Even though the concept of “magic” has suffered severe criticism in academic discourse, the category continues to be used in many disciplines. During the last two decades, classicists in particular have engaged in a lively discussion over “magic” and have produced an impressive amount of written output. Given the impossibility of defining “magic” in a consistent and widely accepted manner, one cannot help but wonder what these scholars are actually talking about. Hence this paper purports (a) to critically review the recent debate on “magic” in Classical Studies, (b) to advocate for abandoning an abstract category of “magic” in favour of a proper analysis of ancient sources and (c) to historicize the term “magic” in Antiquity, that is, to muse on its ancient semantics, functions, and contexts. This methodological approach does not only overcome the major problems inherent in modern definitions of “magic,” but will also yield new insights into terminologies, modes of thought and speech strategies that underlie ancient religious discourses.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's been said elsewhere that the idea of 'magic' and 'religion' being separate is very new.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Magic has a meaningful definition as a more specific practice than religion.

For example, imagine a really corny televangelist prosperity gospel guy. He goes and prays, God what should I make my next sermon about. God tells him: success win hustlegrind. That's mysticism. He then goes and prays: God I want some more money. And then he gets an email notifying him of a direct deposit. That's magic.

More concretely, imagine someone going to an important church with an important relic, hoping to touch it and receive that saint's intercession in something worldly (their sick cousin, for example). This is magic.

Mysticism is generally better, both can be done very badly. And of course it's possible to do religion without either, but you're looking at a very modern kind of religion.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Ohtori Akio posted:

Magic has a meaningful definition as a more specific practice than religion.

read the paper :ssh:

e: tbf I guess, I should point out that the author's interest in clarifying the difference in the definition of "magic" in Antiquity vs Classicism (and modernity) is because anthropology has a specific definition of magic. If you want a paper on that you can read this one https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/9781118924396.wbiea1915

quote:

As used by anthropologists, the term “witch” identifies someone alleged to practice socially prohibited forms of magic.

[...]

The foundational concept is magic, which encompasses beliefs and behaviors in which the relationship between an act and its effect rests on analogy or a mystical connection rather than empirical or scientific validation. While at its core magic is an idea or belief, it manifests in acts and rituals, texts and spells, and objects such as amulets and talismans. Anthropological theories of magic, including attempts to treat it as either separate from or inseparable from religion, date back to the discipline's mid-nineteenth-century origins and reached a zenith in the mid-twentieth century through fieldwork-based ethnographic research, especially connected to the structural–functional school of thought.

The definition of magic as socially prohibited practice can be argued as being inapplicable or minimally applicable to magic in ancient religions, per Mr. Otto in the article above.

LITERALLY A BIRD has issued a correction as of 13:43 on Dec 29, 2023

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

read the paper :ssh:

e: tbf I guess, I should point out that the author's interest in clarifying the difference in the definition of "magic" in Antiquity vs Classicism (and modernity) is because anthropology has a specific definition of magic. If you want a paper on that you can read this one https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/9781118924396.wbiea1915

The definition of magic as socially prohibited practice can be argued as being inapplicable or minimally applicable to magic in ancient religions, per Mr. Otto in the article above.

My understanding of the quote you pull is that witchcraft is socially prohibited magic, but for example prayer for the intercession of saints is normative.

I will click and read these..................perhaps.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Ohtori Akio posted:

My understanding of the quote you pull is that witchcraft is socially prohibited magic, but for example prayer for the intercession of saints is normative.

I will click and read these..................perhaps.

Yes, that appears to be a correct understanding of that quote. However, "Towards Historicizing" is refuting that definition (the "thesis of deviance") when discussing magic and magicians (the previous term for "witches") in Greco-Egyptian magical texts and earlier; again, the idea is that prior to those early centuries CE what we now call "magic" was "religion." This is illustrated for example by the Egyptian term "heka" being understood today as meaning "magic," and yet there is no recognized word from that time period that we translate as "religion."

quote:

However, in a number of recent works the shift towards deeper reflection on ancient terminology has led to the thesis of deviance. In Antiquity, some authors claim, "magic" functioned only as a polemical term to stigmatize and exclude others (named "the religion of the other, 22 "the dangerous other, 23 the "theological opposition"),24 or, in other words, to "squelch, avenge, or discredit undesirable behavior."25 Harold Remus, who investigated the 2nd and 3rd century controversy between Christian and Graeco-Roman authors on the miraculous abilities of Jesus of Nazareth and, among others, Apollonius of Tana, describes the conflict as a "competition in naming: affirming miracle of the extraordinary phenomena of one's own group and denying the name to those of rival groups."26 The ancient terminological dualism [...] can functionally be reduced, Remus claims, to the conceptual creation of discursive boundaries: between "us" and "them," between "inside" and "outside," and between "true" and "false."27 Charles R. Phillips III adds that these arbitrary and highly judgmental ancient demarcations of discursive boundaries ushered into academic discourse in the late 19th century and, thereby, decisively influenced the scholarly controversy on "magic" as a whole.28

In the ancient sources, there is no doubt a plethora of evidence for the thesis of deviance. The vast majority of the texts that came down to us and include the term mageía|magia or one of its cognates or synonyms refer to persons, texts, ritual practices or beliefs from an outward perspective and are usually accompanied by semantics of devaluation and stigmatization. However, the polemical instrumentalization of the ancient term "magic" is only part of the truth: in the Papyri Graecae Magicae the term appears ten times while clearly referring to the authors themselves and their own ritual practice.29 Here, [this] does not imply a stigmatization but rather a positive evaluation, notions of high religious expertise, of total effectiveness and legitimacy of the rituals at issue.30 Thus, a general postulation of the thesis of deviance seems misleading.

The paper is a trip, I think you'd find it interesting even if you conceptually disagree with the practice. Ancient theo-magical belief is loving fascinating imo.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i thought witchcraft was socially prohibited magic because women usually do it whereas big strong men do god magic

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Witchcraft has come to be associated with women and so the early pages of this thread where it was argued anti-magical belief was also anti-woman or anti-indigenous person do have some truth to them from some perspectives. But moreso it is influenced by a divide that can be (and has been) described as "we practice religion; they practice magic."

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

blatman posted:

i thought witchcraft was socially prohibited magic because women usually do it whereas big strong men do god magic

men do alchemy which is real

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Can't do semen retention to power up big spells if you don't have any

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

AnimeIsTrash posted:

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Umm actually the point of alchemy is to become the Rebis, the "divine hermaphrodite" at the conclusion of the magnum opus, which transcends the physical and spiritual, male and female.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

any radical monists ituo (in this undifferentiated orb)

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

nice obelisk idiot posted:

Umm actually the point of alchemy is to become the Rebis, the "divine hermaphrodite" at the conclusion of the magnum opus, which transcends the physical and spiritual, male and female.

The point of alchemy is to get rich.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

m'witches

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Jesus did magic and he was a man

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
he was a necromancer not a witch

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

nice obelisk idiot posted:

TIL I'm pretty good at alchemy

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Atrocious Joe posted:

Jesus did magic and he was a man

transmuting water to moonshine is alchemy and everything else he did was sorcery (manly magics)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

he was a necromancer not a witch

He was the Lord Almighty, actually