Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Lady Radia posted:

does anyone have cool history of computer documentaries that are personality and technology focused, like Kim Justice? i keep getting recs (due to subbing to CRD and pre-chud 8-bit-guy i assume) for retro computer poo poo but it's just people like..opening it? and showing me the parts???

RMC's spent the last year or so pivoting to a more interview/presentation focused channel, which might be to your tastes. It's not tightly edited video essay stuff, but it is a lot of primary sources and fun stories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwmRM4Msm20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

trilobite terror posted:

and you post in ADTRW

hell you get probated in ADTRW

trilobite terror posted:

RLM thread is currently at war, through no fault or action of their own, with the Zack Snyder CD thread that is a Snyder fan cope zone (so they prolly extra hate Maggie Mae there, since she dissed their boy)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

these two posts back to back are incredible. imagine thinking posting in ADTRW is worse than posting in the RLM thread that is 'at war with the zack snyder CD thread'

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i'm gonna kill you, man. i'm gonna hit you with powerbombs and burning lariats until you die

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also protip i really dont think you, specifically, should be bringing up someones probation history

Lady Radia posted:

does anyone have cool history of computer documentaries that are personality and technology focused, like Kim Justice? i keep getting recs (due to subbing to CRD and pre-chud 8-bit-guy i assume) for retro computer poo poo but it's just people like..opening it? and showing me the parts???

https://www.youtube.com/@TechnologyConnections/videos

technology connections has some of the 'opening it up and showing you the parts' but its mostly just quick vids about little technological oddities. they arent really documentaries but i find most of the vids interesting since even when he is just popping it open he explains why its built that way

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Karasu Tengu posted:

RMC's spent the last year or so pivoting to a more interview/presentation focused channel, which might be to your tastes. It's not tightly edited video essay stuff, but it is a lot of primary sources and fun stories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwmRM4Msm20

ty! that does sound like exactly what im looking for. it's right on the border of length where i want tight editing, but if it's the content i crave i def will live

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Endorph posted:

also protip i really dont think you, specifically, should be bringing up someones probation history

https://www.youtube.com/@TechnologyConnections/videos

technology connections has some of the 'opening it up and showing you the parts' but its mostly just quick vids about little technological oddities. they arent really documentaries but i find most of the vids interesting since even when he is just popping it open he explains why its built that way

oh yeah im a massive tech connections fan after fun hater talked about how his vid on dishwashers was life changing. (it was)

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Technology Connections is the platonic ideal of tech Youtube and it's a shame no one else gets anywhere close.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

You should also check out RetroBytes, all-around lovely guy and computer collector who does plenty of very good tech history related videos, usually with a little bit of tinkering around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn7qIl59MAQ

Ctrl-alt-rees may also be another one up your alley for tech content that's also very much in the same flavour as RMC, LGR and what not.

https://www.youtube.com/@ctrlaltrees/videos

I'm also going to throw in RoseTintedSpectrum, if you want some looks at old games that, naturally, focuses a fair bit on the ZX Spectrum.

https://www.youtube.com/@RoseTintedSpectrum

Ms Mad Lemon doesn't do a lot of history stuff, but I always believe that she is one of the most underrated and one of the most chilled of all the various tech tinkerers on YouTube. A lot of her vids are just worth it for the really good Amiga MOD music she makes.

https://www.youtube.com/@MsMadLemon

Speaking of music, and also the Amiga, you may also want to have a look at Magical Synth Adventure who has a few very nice videos about computer soft synths and the like.

https://www.youtube.com/@magicalsynthadventure3216

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 29, 2023

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

the only thing that matters in retro tech tube is being able to retrobrite a thing

doesnt matter if it works, retrobrite it

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Does it work or not? I guess we'll never know. The important thing is that we retrobrited it.

ED: Oh dear. That's...well, embarrassing.

https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/1740637288886084070?t=SHSFxP4A0VVHdS-BTyc8_Q&s=19

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 29, 2023

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Oof that's dire

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Lady Radia posted:

oh yeah im a massive tech connections fan after fun hater talked about how his vid on dishwashers was life changing. (it was)

we bought his recommended christmas lights and he was right again

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

the purples are VERY weak but the rest are lovely

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

this pic encapsulates that channel's situation so much

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

lol someone's editor quit

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
How much stuff has she got in the can that's going to keep coming out at this point? Like, the revenue has to have dropped off since the Legal Eagle stuff, and the only reason they were doing this was for easy money, there's got to be something that's lower effort for a better return now she's been caught.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Her views are increasing slightly from their earlier massive dip, but I think it's mainly people seeing if it really is that terrible

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Fil5000 posted:

How much stuff has she got in the can that's going to keep coming out at this point? Like, the revenue has to have dropped off since the Legal Eagle stuff, and the only reason they were doing this was for easy money, there's got to be something that's lower effort for a better return now she's been caught.

A reduction from "a fuckton of money" for little effort to "less than a fuckton" is still enough to make the low effort poo poo worthwhile, I guess. A quick google says "$2-$30 per 1,000 views" depending on who you're asking, 6 videos in the last month, ~50k views on the oldest of those currently, so $600/mo at the floor and $9,000 at the ceiling, plus whatever the long tail of the Really Popular Ones are? Kind of a stupidly wide range but I guess it's apparently lucractive enough for the effort-to-return ratio that she's just gonna keep doing it, if it can keep floating based on The Algorithm handing videos to people completely unaware of everything-- apparently the overlap of "people watching iiluminaughtii videos" and "people watching iiluminaughtii drama videos" isn't strong enough for any of the latter to pop up in the sidebar of the former

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTsydVWn4wU

More of Danny geeking out on Dinosaurs while Arin rambles.

Stegosaurus, Brontosaurus, and Iguanodon being in S-tier is wild. I know they were some of the heavy hitters but they're B at best they were going up against plumbers and garbage men in their heyday.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Thunder Lizard and Iguana Tooth, sure, they're B Tier but I won't hear slander against Stegosaurus or his Thagomizer. Thag Simmons died to give us that information.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Groovelord Neato posted:

Stegosaurus, Brontosaurus, and Iguanodon being in S-tier is wild. I know they were some of the heavy hitters but they're B at best they were going up against plumbers and garbage men in their heyday.

These lists are always based on nostalgia and the s-tier will always be whatever the list maker was obsessed over when they were a kid regardless of its objective value

Brontosaurus got retconned out of existence and then some random new sauropod got given the name as a consolation prize, it's not even the same dinosaur as before

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 29, 2023

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Groovelord Neato posted:

Stegosaurus is the best dinosaur and nothing anyone says can convince me otherwise.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Arc Hammer posted:

Thunder Lizard and Iguana Tooth, sure, they're B Tier but I won't hear slander against Stegosaurus or his Thagomizer. Thag Simmons died to give us that information.

If you like thagomizers then the Stegosauria suborder has a wide range of dinos you may appreciate. Check out Kentrosaurus or Chialingosaurus for some crazy thagomizer action, or even Gigantspinosaurus for some bizarre side-mounted mega-thagomizers.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Triceratops and ankylosaurus are the loving coolest

edit: Vertigo from Primal Rage is also pretty dope. She had hypnosis powers. I bet those kind were unstoppable back in the day

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 29, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Actually Allosaurus is the best dinosaur. It's not the biggest predator out there but the fossil evidence suggests they were absolutely everywhere in the Morrison Formation and would pick fights with everything in sight.

Allosaurus more like Assholesaurus

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Unperson_47 posted:

Triceratops and ankylosaurus are the loving coolest

edit: Vertigo from Primal Rage is also pretty dope. She had hypnosis powers. I bet those kind were unstoppable back in the day

Vertigo is the coolest fighter in Primal Rage but there's no actual dinosaur like her.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Groovelord Neato posted:

Vertigo is the coolest fighter in Primal Rage but there's no actual dinosaur like her.

There's theropods with horns such as Carnotaurus but that's about as close as they got

They had the dinkiest little vestigial arms, they're even smaller than Trex arms :3:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's theropods with horns such as Carnotaurus but that's about as close as they got

They had the dinkiest little vestigial arms, they're even smaller than Trex arms :3:

An S-tier dinosaur they definitely got it right putting them there. Ceratosaurus also was a horned therapod (though generic outside of that) but Vertigo is more a cobra head/neck with horns.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Lady Radia posted:

I second this. What's terrible is that a lot of places don't even carry the boxed detergent anymore. It's all those nonsense packs he dislikes. So the prewash feature on ours goes unused.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Arc Hammer posted:

Actually Allosaurus is the best dinosaur. It's not the biggest predator out there but the fossil evidence suggests they were absolutely everywhere in the Morrison Formation and would pick fights with everything in sight.

Allosaurus more like Assholesaurus

My favorites are the giant carnivores that had long arms and hands, because we know almost nothing else about them. Were they stupefyingly gigantic T-Rexes? Were they just normal T-Rex-sized but with creepy long arms instead? We don't know! I love those creepy fuckers. :allears:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Libluini posted:

My favorites are the giant carnivores that had long arms and hands, because we know almost nothing else about them. Were they stupefyingly gigantic T-Rexes? Were they just normal T-Rex-sized but with creepy long arms instead? We don't know! I love those creepy fuckers. :allears:

The Megaraptorans? Yeah those things are weird, like the Australovenator with the arms so long it could almost walk on them.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

If you were made into a Dinobot you're S-tier. I don't make the rules. :colbert:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Mildread's true passion these days seems to be wet puppets and God bless.

Scaredycats is more enjoyable to watch than thoughtslime, and it looks more fun to make too.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Dawgstar posted:

If you were made into a Dinobot you're S-tier. I don't make the rules. :colbert:

But one of them is not a dinosaur.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

My new favorite YouTube historian made a followup to his previous hit video

https://youtu.be/_fWrJ4WHz_g?si=aldCrJKXYw1fSIsl

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DeafNote posted:

But one of them is not a dinosaur.

No, Brontosaurus came back to us in 2015.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Izzzyzzz talks about an app that was doomed from the start, but which met an absolutely hilarious end at the hands of some pranksters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHkGGvNhg1U

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Dawgstar posted:

No, Brontosaurus came back to us in 2015.
Not sure if this is a joke thats going over my head, but I am aware of that.
I was refering to the Pteranodon.

Either way at least we got past that ugly 'scavenger T-rex' phase.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DeafNote posted:

Not sure if this is a joke thats going over my head, but I am aware of that.
I was refering to the Pteranodon.

Thought you were referring to the dinosaurs actually mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JidcvbO-p3s