Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
I was very pleasantly surprised by the patching cadence they seem to have adopted since 4.0. Sure the patches break some stuff (e.g. Greasus’ speed) but they haven’t been making us wait a quarter for them to fix it. Hopefully they keep it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah I think things are probably way better now and goofing forward than they have been probably since release. It’s a shame studios keep doing this, but now that they’re back to making the things they’re good at the game will probably get better very fast. And I think it’s already very good.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Captain Oblivious posted:

My beef with Old World is it gives you a lot of fiddly resources and there isn’t a great sense of how much or whether the way or amount you gently caress with them is working

I haven't played Old World in a bit, but the thing I liked about resources is that you can buy and trade them on the market. So you don't get hard-stopped by running out of stone, you just have to dig into your money or stockpiles of other resources to afford enough for the building spree you're going on.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Good for AoE. I wasn’t really expecting 4 to be so much of a success but it seems to have carved out its own place even with AoE2 still being very popular.

https://twitter.com/AgeOfEmpires/status/1735719919658930664?s=20

Anno fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Dec 16, 2023

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Anno posted:

Good for AoE. I wasn’t really expecting 4 to be so much of a success but it seems to have carved out its own place even with AoE2 still be long very popular.

https://twitter.com/AgeOfEmpires/status/1735719919658930664?s=20

Bittersweet for me; I'm happy Microsoft has gotten World's Edge to the level where they can do great work on AoE moving forward, with AoE4 now being a true success that's not just being sandbagged constantly by boomer doomers, but also I'm bummed that apparently Relic's role has been diminished because the studio isn't do so hot, along with CoH3 still being a hot mess.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

limp_cheese posted:

I finally finished the Starship Troopers DLC. I have mixed feelings on it.

I do like the new units on each side, with a special shout out to the armored bug that shoots fire and goes all kamikaze when it runs out of health and the unit that counters that the melee only exo suit with the self heal. The exo suit is great as its pretty big and has a lot of health so putting it in a chokepoint means the bugs won't get past. The bugs also have 2 new flying units, 1 that has good range and will plink at your guys and a pack of Scourge from Starcraft. There are more human units but I didn't play with them enough to really say much about them.

That brings up the other thing, the new campaign is short. The new maps and missions are fun but when it ended it really felt like there should have been another 2 missions at least with how the story went. I think there is 5 or 6 missions in this campaign and at no point are you able to play with all the new units on a map. Hell, 2 units don't get unlocked until you are almost done with the last mission.

I do like the simple story. Its about a corporation using mercs as security, but finds they are too expensive so they call the government to send the the Mobile Infantry. The mercs and Mobile Infantry are constantly butting heads and honestly, I agree with the mercs. There's also something about the corporation using technology to placate the bugs but that goes nowhere.

I'd say for the $10 I paid it was worth it, I just expected more. If you liked the base game and want more I would suggest picking it up.

If you havent so already, I can recommend checking out the community made content for the game. One modder has managed to recreate the campaign from Starship trooper; terran ascendancy, complete with voice acting, and its pretty good!

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

GyverMac posted:

If you havent so already, I can recommend checking out the community made content for the game. One modder has managed to recreate the campaign from Starship trooper; terran ascendancy, complete with voice acting, and its pretty good!

I want to say thank you for reminding me about the workshop for that game because there are ALOT of custom maps and campaigns.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013

quote:

The Sultans Ascend: best-selling expansion in Age franchise history
Rise of Rome sold 500,000, The Conquerors sold 800,000 in the US, and The Titans sold 400,000 in the US - all vague numbers with huge margins of error, but these are what we have.

Note that these are for the initial boxed expansion disc releases, not counting all the value bundles.

Exceeding these would put TSA in the ballpark of 1 million...

Except that TSA has only 1000+ Steam reviews, which typically means sales in the five digits.

Comparing it with other AoE DLCs on Steam (usually with 1000+ to 400+ reviews), the latter seems more believable:
- TSA sold the most of all Age DLCs since AoE2HD, at a few 10,000s.

toasterwarrior posted:

but also I'm bummed that apparently Relic's role has been diminished because the studio isn't do so hot, along with CoH3 still being a hot mess.
Short answer is "we don't know, things take time to play out".

Long answer is "Relic's diminished involvement" is a rumor started by players who were dissatisifed with AoE4's Year 1 balance, and wished for the DE teams (Forgotten Empires) to take over.

The truth is FE has always had a hand in AoE4's balancing since the beginning. Even as their role increased in Year 2 (you can recognize their handiwork in the patches, like the repurposing of campaign units, or the naval triangle redesign copied from AoE2DE), they are neither completely taking over AoE4's design (TSA's new civs feel very much Relic's), nor do they, specializing in game design & AoE2DE's prerendered sprites as they are, have enough production capacity to replace Relic in making new content for AoE4.

We don't know how Relic's big 2023 layoff will shake out in the long run, or how it relates to Microsoft's AoE plans at all.

The Byzantine and Japanese civs were teased in a Wired article before AoE4's launch, though their production may have started late, judging from the uneven model quality.

The variant civs, while nice design experiments, are transparently a Hail Mary - a desperate attempt to squeeze more "value add" into the expansion out of existing assets when the team's production was tightly bottlenecked.

The "Sultans Ascend" title and campaign are awfully incongruous with everything else in the DLC, aren't they? It would make more sense if the campaign was supposed to be released together with Malians & Ottomans in 2022 as AoE4's first expansion, just in time to be disrupted by COVID.

And in 2022, (after possibly delaying the campaign), they meant to release Malians & Ottomans as paid DLC (shown in the first version of the trailer that they released without double-check), before getting cold feet about the state of AoE4 and making them a free update.

Behind the scenes, it's been a bumpy road, to say the least.

As for the future - AoE4 PvP seems unexpectedly floated on the backs of Starcraft 2 refugees? Since the current corporate strategy behind AoE is so heavily leaned towards PvP, they'll have their work cut out to retain them.

cuc fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 16, 2024

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Well I hope things work out for Relic. It's been a devastating year for devs; between the cash troubles with CA and Hyenas, I was morbidly betting on Sega shuttering Relic as their worst case scenario with how poorly CoH3 performed and how unclear their future was with AoE4.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Relic already had a bunch of cuts earlier this year, and in all likelihood they'll be solely on COH3 maintenance/content for at least the near future. Now, luckily, said maintenance has started paying off and (questionable balance choices aside) the game is currently at its best after a recent, major update and the general vibe is more positive.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Perimeter was the one that turned out to be the prequel to that bug racing rpg, right?
Yes.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Perimeter owns

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Is this the thread to ask for tactical rpg suggestions? I've played Final Fantasy Tactics ,Tactics Ogre and Into the Breach, and now I'm hooked.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Scallop Eyes posted:

Is this the thread to ask for tactical rpg suggestions? I've played Final Fantasy Tactics ,Tactics Ogre and Into the Breach, and now I'm hooked.

Wildermyth, Horizon's Gate, The Last Spell.
Also for a blend with 4X games, Age of Wonders 3, Planetfall or Age of Wonders 4.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Scallop Eyes posted:

If you want something more similar to the first two then try Triangle Strategy (or get into the world on FFT/TO mods).

Other recs that are more systems focused and not as big on story: Age of Wonders 3/4, XCOM 2 (with the War of the Chosen expansion), The Last Spell, Wartales, Battle Brothers, Jagged Alliance 3, TROUBLESHOOTER. All are solid tactical combat games with their own spins. If you’re really new to the genre I’d get XCOM 2/expansions first, especially if you’re on PC. It’s arguably the least RPG but still probably the best tactical combat+management game out there, with a gajillion mods to give you as much playtime as you want.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Perimeter owns

I actually remember completing it way back in the day but remember absolutely nothing about it except it was pretty weird

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Scallop Eyes posted:

from that selection I'd say Knight of Lodis if you haven't already, Bahamut Lagoon, Front Mission 3, maybe Banner Saga?

alternatively, jump directly into the deep end and give Kartia or Incubation a try

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Scallop Eyes posted:

Disgaea 5 for pure gameplay and QOL features. Disgaea PC if you tolerated Final Fantasy well, since it's more clunky.
Jagged Alliance 3
Gears Tactics if it's cheap. It's good but no replay value.
Valkyria Chronicles 1 & 4

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Scallop Eyes posted:

the fire emblem games, any of them imo

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Assessor of Maat posted:

from that selection I'd say Knight of Lodis if you haven't already, Bahamut Lagoon, Front Mission 3, maybe Banner Saga?

alternatively, jump directly into the deep end and give Kartia or Incubation a try

By Incubation do you mean the old battle isle spinoff? I played a lot of that game when I was a kid.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

SavageMessiah posted:

By Incubation do you mean the old battle isle spinoff? I played a lot of that game when I was a kid.

yeah. interesting game, even with its often awkward qualities and janky camera. quite different, uh... design mindset? compared to its contemporaries

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Man, it was only 5 bucks but I might have still overpaid for the C&C remaster. God drat the first game blows. I've never before had units in a game refuse orders before.

Great remaster though, looks incredible, nice menus. I'm also sure Red Alert's gonna go a long way to redeeming it but I at least wanted to finish this poo poo for the first time.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

haha the men don't respect you, you have no authority.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah that's a leadership problem, not a game mechanic.

I recommend the workshop mod that adds A* pathfinding, better harvester logic, and modern QOL features like muster points.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2124096053

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mantis42 posted:

haha the men don't respect you, you have no authority.

Screaming at them to get off their rear end and kill those villagers

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah that's a leadership problem, not a game mechanic.

I recommend the workshop mod that adds A* pathfinding, better harvester logic, and modern QOL features like muster points.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2124096053

Does it work with achievements? If it weren't for them I'd just crank it down to easy and probably save myself a lot of headache

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don't recall it being an issue for achievements but it's been a while since I played.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I got nostalgic about a demo for Close Combat 2: A bridge too far, that I used to play the poo poo out of. I decided to watch a Let's Play of the campaign to scratch that itch, but got really frustrated at the first result on Youtube, which was some guy constantly sending his dudes on bayonet charges into machine guns because he had no patience. Then he'd be confused when his units started ignoring his orders.

Then I found this series, which has practically zero views, but the guy runs an entire playthrough, while also referencing 1940's strategic field manuals and doctrines throughout. He analyses the terrain, suggests multiple different plans, weighs their pros and cons, then selects a plan and evaluates it's success afterwards. It's made for compelling viewing and I felt like sharing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H19QmhUIZSU

Link to full playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfvPrdR0dVYwzavOVyd_cLXu2uqq9AgIN

If these screenshots appeal to you, you'll want to watch this series:

NZAmoeba fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 28, 2023

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

NZAmoeba posted:

I got nostalgic about a demo for Close Combat 2: A bridge too far, that I used to play the poo poo out of. I decided to watch a Let's Play of the campaign to scratch that itch, but got really frustrated at the first result on Youtube, which was some guy constantly sending his dudes on bayonet charges into machine guns because he had no patience. Then he'd be confused when his units started ignoring his orders.

Then I found this series, which has practically zero views, but the guy runs an entire playthrough, while also referencing 1940's strategic field manuals and doctrines throughout. He analyses the terrain, suggests multiple different plans, weighs their pros and cons, then selects a plan and evaluates it's success afterwards. It's made for compelling viewing and I felt like sharing it.

Link to full playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfvPrdR0dVYwzavOVyd_cLXu2uqq9AgIN

Hell yeah this is cool. I never really know what I'm doing in these games and just muddle through. I understand use of smoke and flanking, but it never seems to come together.

Also have fond memories of the CC2 demo.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I played the CC2 demo so much. Think the CD I had also came with the Halo demo too.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Assessor of Maat posted:

yeah. interesting game, even with its often awkward qualities and janky camera. quite different, uh... design mindset? compared to its contemporaries

It was definitely an odd one. Kinda want to play it now, I got it on GOG ages ago in a fit of buying up games I still had on cd.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

NZAmoeba posted:

Very cool but my units weren't refusing to charge into certain death. They would gleefully rush headlong into it and refuse all commands to stop or even to turn back around. I know RA is gonna salvage this remaster but my oh my the first one shows it's age in the worst meaning of the phrase

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

NZAmoeba posted:

Oh man this is hitting me in the nostalgia. I remember playing the demo of one of the Close Combat games with I think Russians vs Germans and it captivating me even though my like 8 year old self was absolute dogshit and barely knew what to do. I'll have to check this series out.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

skaianDestiny posted:

Oh man this is hitting me in the nostalgia. I remember playing the demo of one of the Close Combat games with I think Russians vs Germans and it captivating me even though my like 8 year old self was absolute dogshit and barely knew what to do. I'll have to check this series out.

The sound design on the 1st one freaked me out back in the day. It was the first game I ever played that made an attempt to replicate the screams of soldiers getting hit.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
for the longest time I played without fog of war in Close Combat.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
The grenade/close assault mechanic was awesome.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I vividly remember taking out a tiger with gammon bombs. Just hiding inside the building until it stopped and my goofy tommies just dropped a giant sack of ham down the exhaust pipe.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Has anyone here played Mech Engineer? It's a strategy/tactics game in the same vein as the original X-Com where you manage resources, loadouts, research, and production on the strategic layer while sending out teams of mechs into combat with hordes of aliens on the tactical layer, with the very stylistic and diegetic yet fairly obtuse UI along the lines of Highfleet. A lot of its systems are rather obscure or not given enough information about to the player, but once you get a handle on them it becomes pretty compelling. There's been improvement in giving more information to the player via tooltips and an in-game manual, but it can still be fairly daunting. Despite that, manipulating the finer points of your mechs' design such as weight reduction or increasing power consumption to a weapon gets to be pretty fun.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1428520/Mech_Engineer/

This video is a good overview on how to get started in the game, though some stuff is inaccurate/outdated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNwidEf_dCU

While messing around and trying to figure things out can be compelling, I also highly suggest checking out the user-made guides for more direction.

The dev is also trying to get modding working on this, which is a feat considering this was made in GameMaker. There's a fairly good rebalance mod that helps push some weapons/mechs to be a bit more viable.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Oh wow, this UI is REALLY drinking from the sprite based XCOMs.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I thought we knew about that one already, but I had it confused with Mechabellum. I went to the steam page and checked the notes for the most recent patch and saw this:

quote:

• Destroy tornadoes with artillery or missiles – a tornado has a 50% chance to disappear upon contact with an explosion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Another thing that was changed since the video I linked to was that you can now deploy up to 8 mechs to a mission instead of 4. The aforementioned rebalance mod also ups that to 16 mechs total.