Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Put it all on one page, give them a sample with 4 point font or whatever and then when they say it's unusable tell them that's why you said it needed to be bigger.

Whenever I get back into the office and can talk to other people about this, this will be the plan. I am genuinely tired of these dumb fuckers, they will only understand when they see how loving impossible it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I have been off since Dec.1 and am literally on the other side of the world. Emergencies can be sorted without me and I'll be back in January if not.

Not working on vacation time should be far more normal than it is.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I gotta be in office coming Wednesday, I suspect it'll just be me and the new hires so it's gonna be fun to fill those 8h.

I wonder if we still have the nerf guns h&r brought

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/drsuffy/status/1738569098768900298?s=20

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

It’s not the first or the last time this happened. Welcome to the internet-connected car world.

Every time the update popup happens on my car, it’s like spinning the drum before playing Russian roulette.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

SlowBloke posted:

It’s not the first or the last time this happened. Welcome to the internet-connected car world.

Every time the update popup happens on my car, it’s like spinning the drum before playing Russian roulette.

Do you have a choice of when to install the update? Depending on how often the updates come, I'd be tempted to install it while sitting in the dealership service lot.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Hughmoris posted:

Do you have a choice of when to install the update? Depending on how often the updates come, I'd be tempted to install it while sitting in the dealership service lot.

Yep, I can defer it to another time. Handing my car to the dealer is a sure fire way to getting it back worse than if I do the upgrades myself tho.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

SlowBloke posted:

Yep, I can defer it to another time. Handing my car to the dealer is a sure fire way to getting it back worse than if I do the upgrades myself tho.

More so I was thinking I'd just park in their lot then run the firmware update, in the event it bricked. Saves yourself the tow.

Of course I don't know how long the updates take, how frequent, and how likely a brick like this is. Just some musings from someone who drives a car with manual crank windows.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

teethgrinder posted:

Tangential, an employee on vacation joined a work call on Thursday because he "was bored" and I just mocked him the entire hour trying to get him to go do something, anything but work.

There is a meeting this week with the board and various VIPs. I don't know why its this week, but it means that I have to go into the office this week when my plan was to not.
But the grim part is, one of the VIPs is on vacation in Hawaii this week. So he has join the call as well. I think Hawaii is 4 or 5 hours behind us. So not only is he joining a meeting on his vacation, he has to wake up butt early in the morning to do so.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

I thought it first this person was hosed because there's no way Tesla can actually service their cars,

but Ford actually has service so maybe they'll be okay

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
isn't the world wonderful

on another note, I am to detect hardware jigglers in Q1

I think I can do it, even with the random ones, I have a pretty deep background in weird math. my boss knows this and that's probably why.

gently caress

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Potato Salad posted:

I think I can do it, even with the random ones, I have a pretty deep background in weird math. my boss knows this and that's probably why.

gently caress

Do it badly

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

gently caress

if you do this you are officially on the side of the opressing class

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

gently caress

I'm not a mod but I will find a way to ban you if you are successful.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Potato Salad posted:

I thought it first this person was hosed because there's no way Tesla can actually service their cars,

but Ford actually has service so maybe they'll be okay

By far I have had more negative experiences with Ford service departments than Tesla.

This is an indictment of Ford, not praise of Tesla, mind.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Potato Salad posted:

gently caress

I presume any sort of argument that this is a waste of time and you can't replace line managers with software isn't an option?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

In a good world, that kind of tool would be used to detect broken workflows and start improvement projects.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't actually open a web browser to sit through a presentation about how Edge is doing, it's a tool to do a job. Microsoft really need to be reminded of that. I'm not a fan of a piece of software, and I don't want to be.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Microsoft's tone deaf marketing is legendary. No one is worse at it than them.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/sansinjin/status/1740157106249195640

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Thanks Ants posted:

I presume any sort of argument that this is a waste of time and you can't replace line managers with software isn't an option?

my own boss manages by results and is pretty awesome

this is almost certainly coming from on higher which sucks

I am tempted to punt to a commercial program but they all are built into full bore spyware and require someone to compare mouse activity with screen activity

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do the laziest thing possible and buy one mouse jiggler and match the hardware ID and call it job done

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Blue Moonlight posted:

By far I have had more negative experiences with Ford service departments than Tesla.

Whatever planet you're on, I'm interested in shifting dimensions to it. On mine, it's the absolute exact opposite -- if you can even see Tesla service within a calendar year, or avoid "wheel struts are supposed to be broken ticket closed" and crickets afterward

There's an awful lot of freaky stupid stuff happening on my planet.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 29, 2023

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Potato Salad posted:

gently caress

did they say you had to detect and report? seems like a work to rule opportunity right here

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Potato Salad posted:

gently caress
It'll be basically impossible to distinguish a randomised mouse jiggler from a repetitive task on any timescale long enough to gather proper data for the randomisation. So... the smart thing to do here is flag every device for using mouse jigglers.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Arquinsiel posted:

It'll be basically impossible to distinguish a randomised mouse jiggler from a repetitive task on any timescale long enough to gather proper data for the randomisation. So... the smart thing to do here is flag every device for using mouse jigglers.

Yup, massive numbers of false positives are the way to go here. I'd also recommend finding a way to have all the executives who aren't supposed to be on the report keep showing up on the report. Blame HR.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Get fancy and plan for different sets of them, so you can "tune" it back and forth forever and never get better than 50% accuracy.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Arquinsiel posted:

....yes in fact that's totally true

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

require someone to compare mouse activity with screen activity

There's a reason for this.

Potato Salad posted:

....yes in fact that's totally true

And that's it.

Edit: I guarantee you will have at least one person where the conversation goes as follows

:v: We've detected that you're using an unapproved device to keep your machine active. Care to explain?
:reject: What the hell are you talking about?
:v: Your device hasn't had a mouse movement in hours but is being kept awake somehow
:reject: That's because I don't use a mouse
:v: So you admit you're not doing your job?
:reject: No. I work in a terminal emulator all day and I use keyboard shortcuts when I have to get around the desktop. I literally do not have a mouse attached to this computer.
:v: Uhh... You're fired? :confused:
:reject: Enjoy your routers not working because I'm the only one who knows how to configure them, fuckstick.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 29, 2023

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Potato Salad posted:

I am tempted to punt to a commercial program but they all are built into full bore spyware and require someone to compare mouse activity with screen activity

Seems like a good opportunity to have your privacy officer or CTO throw a shitfit over the security implications and kill the project dead.

Alternatively, recommend the most expensive software packages and kill it that way. With luck, you can turn the whole thing into a months long procurement process

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Buy an expensive jiggler and shove it up your boss's butt

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I assume you are in the US so it being a massive invasion of privacy might be that much of an issue. But if you are working for a big company I’m sure that states like NY or CA might have some relevant state legislation that would ban this kind of thing.

If your company employs people in the EEA then this is a major no no

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

CPColin posted:

New thread title

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

CPColin posted:

Shame that Hitachi divested their Magic Wand assets, it would make for a nice HDS joke otherwise.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

zokie posted:

I assume you are in the US so it being a massive invasion of privacy might be that much of an issue. But if you are working for a big company I’m sure that states like NY or CA might have some relevant state legislation that would ban this kind of thing.

If your company employs people in the EEA then this is a major no no

Not that I think this whole endeavor is a good idea (managers need to worry about work done, not micromanaging people), but how in the world would this be an invasion of privacy?

It's dumb lovely policy, but "mouse movements" are not private information. A company could scrape your screen every second and monitor activity that way and it still wouldn't be an invasion of privacy. There's no expectation of privacy on company owned equipment.

They could install a drat keylogger on your computer and still be completely within the law. The only situation where that would be an issue is the storage and access controls on that info due to the sensitive business nature.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 29, 2023

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

bull3964 posted:

Not that I think this whole endeavor is a good idea (managers need to worry about work done, not micromanaging people), but how in the world would this be an invasion of privacy?

It's dumb lovely policy, but "mouse movements" are not private information. A company could scrape your screen every second and monitor activity that way and it still wouldn't be an invasion of privacy. There's no expectation of privacy on company owned equipment.

They could install a drat keylogger on your computer and still be completely within the law. The only situation where that would be an issue is the storage and access controls on that info due to the sensitive business nature.

not everyone works in the united states

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

bull3964 posted:

An employee in Europe cannot sign away any legal privacy protection, so anything that actively monitors user activity even with written consent is flat out illegal. As in the DPO will crawl up your rear end so much your new work title will be "hand puppet". Stuff like URL filtering log will require anonymization or heavily logged access control, if you jokingly say "Jane is wasting so much time going to Facebook" by glancing at XDR logs, you will be proper hosed.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 29, 2023

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

And here my boss at my last job told me to download Caffeine because file transfers between the company NAS and my machine on the VPN took so drat long and would get cut off if my computer fell asleep.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

SlowBloke posted:

An employee in Europe cannot sign away any legal privacy protection, so anything that actively monitors user activity even with written consent is flat out illegal. As in the DPO will crawl up your rear end so much your new work title will be "hand puppet". Stuff like URL filtering log will require anonymization or heavily logged access control, if you jokingly say "Jane is wasting so much time going to Facebook" by glancing at XDR logs, you will be proper hosed.

How in the world can you handle stuff like data exfiltration?

If you aren't able to go into the logs and say "Bob in data science uploaded (or attempted to upload) 1 million SSN numbers with names and addresses to his Google drive account" you would get assfucked by the US government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SlowBloke posted:

And the DPO is marching to the tune set by the Workers' Councils. They tell us things like "you cannot automatically collect data that can be used in a disciplinary action". IT likes it because it helps us discourage solving people problems with technology. Leadership likes it because the less data we have on people, the lower our exposure to sanctions under the GDPR; those go up to 4% of your global turnover or a cool $1.5 billion for us.

e. I don't actually know how we handle data exfiltration. I can think of several good reasons why I don't. It's probably some deeply restricted, heavily access-controlled data store that most of us don't even know exists.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 29, 2023