Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Thanks everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Clerical Terrors posted:

Also a lot of the builds Owlcat gives/recommends for your companions suck poo poo with a few exceptions so deffo don't hesitate to look at the thread or google some builds.

I’ve never understood this. Owlcat are clearly a load of grogs. They could have built competently auto-levelling characters if they’d wanted to.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

I’ve never understood this. Owlcat are clearly a load of grogs. They could have built competently auto-levelling characters if they’d wanted to.

The only answer that makes sense, then, is that they do not want to do it.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I'd like to see how a party built only using their suggestions would fare through a campaign. Extremely badly at a lot of points, I suspect.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
LOL, Necron trophies are worth 700 navy rep and you can't fight any until you're past the point of no return

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Mad Wack posted:

also if you are gonna play WOTR please for the love of god ignore the ineffect builds on neoseeker, they are like the top hit on every search engine and they require a lot of advanced nerd knowledge to work plus are built for the highest difficulty - they are Not Fun but people think they are newbie builds

They worked super well for me though

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

An auto leveler for party members would do wonders on a first play through. I almost dread leveling up because it means I will be spending the next 30 minutes or so digging through talents.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Carcer posted:

I'd like to see how a party built only using their suggestions would fare through a campaign. Extremely badly at a lot of points, I suspect.

I did this for my first WoTR playthrough and ended up hitting roadblocks as early as Act 2, by Act 3 some of the better members were basically carrying the whole team but Act 4 it was back to being a struggle again. So I bit the bullet and started reading through the various abilities, online guides, and retraining a bunch of my guys. It was a night and day difference, with the exceptions of Arushalae, Llan and Daeren, whose suggested builds are mostly fine. Nenio and Ember make something of a comeback in the end-game if you're using their auto-build on normal but you can still get a lot more out of them if you build them yourself.

The one thing I never really got down to was making an MC character build that I didn't accidentally gimp in some way. I tried a few things and just went back to a two handed fighter build with a big gently caress-off sword, combined with Angel powers it managed to at the very least hold it's own.

Clerical Terrors fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 29, 2023

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

The Kingfish posted:

An auto leveler for party members would do wonders on a first play through. I almost dread leveling up because it means I will be spending the next 30 minutes or so digging through talents.

It picks the absolute worst poo poo though, the stuff the game recommends for your characters is always just really generic
Feels like if they put a builder into the game it'd do the same

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Clerical Terrors posted:

The one thing I never really got down to was making an MC character build that I didn't accidentally gimp in some way. I tried a few things and just went back to a two handed fighter build with a big gently caress-off sword, combined with Angel powers it managed to at the very least hold it's own.

Shoulda had a big gently caress-off axe, for Reasons (which you have no way to know of in advance, nor any reason to suspect. Because Owlcat.).

But yeah, pure Fighters are pretty hard to gently caress up in Pathfinder and hold their own well enough with just the standard 18 STR + Weapon Focus/Spec + Power Attack + Improved Critical package. Everything beyond that is just bells and whistles, basically. This is doubly true for the Two-Handed Fighter archetype which does exactly one thing but bah gawd does it ever Do The Thing.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I remember being nettled because I went with a Sword Saint Magus, expecting that the possessed sword thing what turns into other weapons could pick up the slack if they didn't have a good selection of rapiers (not really) and then it turns out the transforma weapon is actually pretty bad since it's ghost touch property actually means there's a lot of poo poo it can never hit.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Man the game does lose all challenge when you've got argenta up to speed doesn't it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Carcer posted:

Man the game does lose all challenge when you've got argenta up to speed doesn't it.

Yep. It becomes a puzzle game of "how can I get all of these guys killed before initiative even technically starts?" Which is cool in its own right but also maybe a little samey (and unhealthy as a meta).

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Every save I made yesterday after the big patch crashes on load for me today (looks like there was a small patch today?). The saves from Dec 24 load fine and a new save I made today reloads fine.

Hopefully, the dozen crash reports I just sent help.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Finished the game. In the long run I got wrecked by the Imperium for being too nice, but for the few hundred years I was around my realm was significantly less terrible than the Imperium standard. I assume that's what it means when my close relations with the Imperial Navy meant that most of them defected to me when the Imperium proper came to put me in my place. I refused to let Nomos nom the C'tan shard, I assume that gives your realm a better shot against the Imperium.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Xalidur posted:

The only answer that makes sense, then, is that they do not want to do it.

They also could have released their games in a playable state but we all know what we are getting with Owlcat by now.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Carcer posted:

Unless you're in that fight with 5 snipers and don't have strategist Cassia so they headshot your entire party before they can even do anything.

I'm not mad.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Clerical Terrors posted:

Unless you're in that fight with 5 snipers and don't have strategist Cassia so they headshot your entire party before they can even do anything.

I'm not mad.

Just fill the space occupied by the snipers with more heavy bolter fire.

Skill issue IMO :smug:

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok a few issues:
1) Is anybody else running into an issue where they can offload some cargo but not others. I'm not talking about what a trader will/won't trade but rather 'this pile of Holy Relics can be turned in, this pile can not'. Both piles were full for the record.
2) Why am I getting quest markers on my cargo?

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I think those just show either new in general or newly converted from inventory cargo.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

It's cool (editors note: not actually cool) that lowlcat is aware at some level of the mess they've made with action economy and the only way they can think of to address this is to give boss enemies thousands of hps and the ability to full heal at least once a fight and get free turns of their own.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I was just happy to have a system broken in my favor after pathfinder.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Owlcat just doesn't know how to design combat systems

which is a shame because the character and story stuff is aces. but when it comes to encounter design their approach is just to add zeroes to the end of different stats at random

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
As much as I loved Wrath of the Righteous it made me hate all dnd 3.5e derived systems with a burning passion.

I was ready to kill the person that invented the concept of negative levels and ability damage by the end.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

As much as I loved Wrath of the Righteous it made me hate all dnd 3.5e derived systems with a burning passion.

I was ready to kill the person that invented the concept of negative levels and ability damage by the end.

don't forget to separate your luck, shield, armor, fate, negative energy, alignment, and general AC buffs and have one of each up at all times!

Enjoy manually casting all of these every time you enter a new area.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

AnEdgelord posted:

"ha ha the zombie hits you and drains 12 strength"

"ok gently caress. alright I cast lesser restoration"

"sorry you need regular or greater for it to work"

"gently caress. OK I'll burn a spell slot on regular restoration:

"OK cool you get the strength back. in the next room there are 10 more zombies. the first zombie hits you with its first attack and drains 12 strength. for its second attack" and this is the part where you'd slug your DM in the face in a tabletop game

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I will say, I was never really on board with Pathfinder before I played WoTR. And now I enjoy playing the tabletop a lot.

The second edition, that is.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nanomashoes posted:

don't forget to separate your luck, shield, armor, fate, negative energy, alignment, and general AC buffs and have one of each up at all times!

Enjoy manually casting all of these every time you enter a new area.

For the uninitiated, the stacking bonuses are as follows, and none stack aside from certain exceptions

- Dodge (stacks with itself)
- "Other" (stacks with itself)
- Natural AC (stacks with itself)

- Enhancement
- Deflection
- Size
- Insight
- Sacred
- Luck
- Morale
- Cooking/Food (some micromanaging required)
- Inherent (permanent gains)
- Profane
- Resistance
- Competance
- Untyped
- Mutagens

Now, just guess how Owlcat managed this complex combinations of buffs to design lol they just add +45 Natural AC or whatever high number they decided

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Clerical Terrors posted:

I will say, I was never really on board with Pathfinder before I played WoTR. And now I enjoy playing the tabletop a lot.

The second edition, that is.

2e's basically a totally different system to be fair

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Blockhouse posted:

2e's basically a totally different system to be fair

:thejoke:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

And this is why I never played Kingmaker / WotR.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Been pushing steadily through this, and I’m like…halfway through A2, I guess (although I get that’s pretty variable).

One of the things I really loved about WOTR is that despite the game being very BIG, it is remarkably tight and has a constant narrative drive. I wanted to find out what happened next, and that made pushing through all the launch jank worth it. The game delivered a lot of juice for the squeeze.

This game is undoubtedly the best CRPG in the 40K setting (which is a low bar), but it feels…directionless? Meandering? I get what they were trying to do with the system exploration but unlike Mass Effect, there doesn’t really feel like an overarching narrative that propels things forward. I’m just kind of…wandering.

Mortisimal kind of pointed this out in his review and said it does tie back together, but not until much later in the game, and now 30 hours in I’m not sure I want to keep dealing with the rougher parts of the game to see if it kind of pays off.

Glad I bought it, but more from a stance of “I hope Owlcat gets to make their WOTR in this setting”.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

VanillaGorilla posted:

Glad I bought it, but more from a stance of “I hope Owlcat gets to make their WOTR in this setting”.

Out of interest, what do you think that would look like? What is the core WOTR thing to you? Because I have no idea what WOTR but 40K would be.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

VanillaGorilla posted:

Been pushing steadily through this, and I’m like…halfway through A2, I guess (although I get that’s pretty variable).

One of the things I really loved about WOTR is that despite the game being very BIG, it is remarkably tight and has a constant narrative drive. I wanted to find out what happened next, and that made pushing through all the launch jank worth it. The game delivered a lot of juice for the squeeze.

This game is undoubtedly the best CRPG in the 40K setting (which is a low bar), but it feels…directionless? Meandering? I get what they were trying to do with the system exploration but unlike Mass Effect, there doesn’t really feel like an overarching narrative that propels things forward. I’m just kind of…wandering.

Mortisimal kind of pointed this out in his review and said it does tie back together, but not until much later in the game, and now 30 hours in I’m not sure I want to keep dealing with the rougher parts of the game to see if it kind of pays off.

Yeah in like the very last conversation I was like "oh that's neat, these quests actually did all connect." But I didn't see it coming until then.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

CottonWolf posted:

Out of interest, what do you think that would look like? What is the core WOTR thing to you? Because I have no idea what WOTR but 40K would be.

For me, the big differentiator between WOTR and Kingmaker was a much stronger narrative, with lots of pretty decent side stories and narratives (largely played out along the mythic paths and companion quests). WOTR was a game that - for all its flaws - I just couldn't put down. I fell DEEP into that game and the story of the Crusade and my party's role in it. We were up against Devils and demi-gods and it just ripped from the start.

I dunno, maybe I'm articulating it poorly, but the thing that really grabbed me about WOTR was that it felt really epic in scope - in ways that justified a lot of the rough edges and broken parts. It felt really ambitious, and while they do a great job of captuing the WORLD in Rogue Trader...it just feels like a much smaller, less driven, and fragmented experience to me. I just don't feel anything pulling me along in the way that the grand narrative in WOTR did, and most of the side stories feel similarly basic/thin.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 30, 2023

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Goddammit (Act 3 spoilers) Yriet how can you be this stupid. Really hard to justify not shooting her on the spot even as a goody two shoes. I mean it makes perfect sense, the Eldar are the dumbest, most shortsighted motherfuckers on the universe but still goddamn

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

babypolis posted:

Goddammit (Act 3 spoilers) Yriet how can you be this stupid. Really hard to justify not shooting her on the spot even as a goody two shoes. I mean it makes perfect sense, the Eldar are the dumbest, most shortsighted motherfuckers on the universe but still goddamn

I think it was really easy to justify not doing it.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

I think it was really easy to justify not doing it.

I mean as a normal being sure but in universe? Argenta would be well justified to put a bullet in your skull after such clear xenoheresy

Honestly tho even irl it would be extremely hard to ask anyone to forgive someone whose really stupid betrayal led to you and ll your friends being locked in torture hell world

babypolis fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 30, 2023

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Quick question, at some point I got a backup ship to roll around with me. I forget what quest it was from but it fights alongside the main ship in void combat. If it gets blown up in combat is that it, its dead you should probably replay that battle or is it like a crpg pet that respawns for the next combat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

babypolis posted:

I mean as a normal being sure but in universe? Argenta would be well justified to put a bullet in your skull after such clear xenoheresy

Honestly tho even irl it would be extremely hard to ask anyone to forgive someone whose really stupid betrayal led to you and ll your friends being locked in torture hell world

Yeah but she could kill you just for being Yrliet's friend in the first place. The whole point of the character arc is befriending and understanding something different than you, sometimes friendships have a little rocky road you know.

I like that Yrliet Is both a really young eldar and a really brash and unhinged one, by their standards. She only finished the path of looking at things real good before she went outcast, and with how every other eldar interacts with her you can see she tends to fly off the handle dangerously, so her not being sure she can trust you after she finds out shes been sleeping on the ship that helped kill her craftworld is pretty understandable, I think. If you don't kill her because you actually value her friendship still you see how messed up internally she is about it, in probably the most extensive character arc anybody gets in the game.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 30, 2023