Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm not sure Vader would be able to reasonably make up for all of the nonsense he did, but dying and immediately getting to go to Force Ghost Heaven because he cared about his son is a cop out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah but Darth Vader dying rather than having to live with his actual redemption kinda blew and it double blew when it happened with his grandkid. Someone surviving their change of heart and having to actually follow through instead of dying in the process is infinitely a more interesting plot beat.

"Killed the Emperor" is a pretty big W but it probably doesn't make up for all the genocide and atrocities he did even if you only count the stuff he did on screen and not the subsequent movies or EU stuff. If he had somehow survived the Death Star the dude would have been semi-justifiably ripped apart by the first crowd of rebels who saw him because he loving blew up a planet for no reason besides vindictive spite.

There's a line you can eventually cross where you commit so many atrocities and hurt so many people that there's no ending that makes sense from an emotional standpoint besides "this person is locked up or exiled from society forever because nobody is willing to ever trust a mass murderer like this to be free under any circumstances even if they can let go of the idea of punitive vengeance".

Kanos fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Dec 29, 2023

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

"Killed the Emperor" is a pretty big W but it probably doesn't make up for all the genocide and atrocities he did even if you only count the stuff he did on screen and not the subsequent movies or EU stuff. If he had somehow survived the Death Star the dude would have been semi-justifiably ripped apart by the first crowd of rebels who saw him because he loving blew up a planet for no reason besides vindictive spite.

There's a line you can eventually cross where you commit so many atrocities and hurt so many people that there's no ending that makes sense from an emotional standpoint besides "this person is locked up or exiled from society forever because nobody is willing to ever trust a mass murderer like this to be free under any circumstances even if they can let go of the idea of punitive vengeance".

That was Tarkin's decision, and it had some benefits beyond pure spite. It made the Death Star's power concrete. Now, everyone knew the Empire could and would kill off billions just to make a point, creating the fear they thought they needed to counter the loss of the senate.

Evil, certainly. Effective? Questionably. But it did have concrete practical reasoning behind it, no matter how vile. (And no matter how much it blew up in everyone involved's faces shortly thereafter.)

(Fun fact for that scene: Carrie Fisher had trouble with the line "I recognized your foul stench", because Peter Cushing had a delightful tobacco and lavender scent on set.)

As for making up for it, well, that has kind of been a central theme for the manga since early on, both in recognizing the difficulty, and in insisting that it's a possibility, with Deku's role as the greatest hero being to save the supposedly unsavable. To quote chapter 183

"The only people who say that they can't turn their lives around are the ones with no real desire to change. They're too impatient. They want results right away."

(The idea of it being fine to forgive villains up to point X, and thereafter verboten reminds me of a quote from an old detective story:
"For it seems to me that you only pardon the sins that you don't really think sinful. You only forgive criminals when they commit what you don't regard as crimes, but rather as conventions. So you tolerate a conventional duel, just as you tolerate a conventional divorce. You forgive because there isn't anything to be forgiven.”)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gloop Warp

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Horikoshi is a Christian and so no one is beyond redemption. AfO established himself as a Demon King (rejection of God) but still was given opportunities to repent (locked in Tartarus) and still was the cause of his own demise, not putting blood on the hands of our heroes. The theme of this work is self sacrifice as we see with Deku literally breaking himself to save people, Jeanist permanently crippling himself to save Bakugo, and Bakugo forcing himself past his own limits to put a stop to AfO.

Anyway my prediction is Mount Fuji starts erupting and as this is happening Izuku inspires Shigaraki to not destroy everything, probably by mentioning Toga and Spinner since they’re the most sympathetic and redeemable, and then Shigaraki disintegrates the lava which also destroys his hands in such a way that he is no longer a danger to society.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

That is still punitive vengeance though. That is the point. What do you do with a person who genuinely repents and (presumably) intends to work to try to redeem themselves? If the answer is 'make them suffer uselessly' then that is still just revenge.
Obviously that only applies with genuine wholehearted redemption but that is why it is more interesting as a story beat than 'and then he died. The end''

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

RareAcumen posted:

Gloop Warp

How dare you say that name!!!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
"Why'd you say that Quirk? You promised me that you would never say that Quirk!"
"What, Gloop Warp?"
"Gah!"
"Gloop Warp. Gloop Warp! Gloop Warp! Gloop Waaaarp~ Gloop Warp, Gloop Warp, Gloop Warp!"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

That was Tarkin's decision, and it had some benefits beyond pure spite. It made the Death Star's power concrete. Now, everyone knew the Empire could and would kill off billions just to make a point, creating the fear they thought they needed to counter the loss of the senate.

Evil, certainly. Effective? Questionably. But it did have concrete practical reasoning behind it, no matter how vile. (And no matter how much it blew up in everyone involved's faces shortly thereafter.)

(Fun fact for that scene: Carrie Fisher had trouble with the line "I recognized your foul stench", because Peter Cushing had a delightful tobacco and lavender scent on set.)

There were fringe benefits to blowing up a random populated planet, but it was done to Alderaan specifically out of pure spite to break Leia's spirit, because Alderaan was otherwise a planet full of law-abiding Imperial citizens that was not in open rebellion.

quote:

As for making up for it, well, that has kind of been a central theme for the manga since early on, both in recognizing the difficulty, and in insisting that it's a possibility, with Deku's role as the greatest hero being to save the supposedly unsavable. To quote chapter 183

"The only people who say that they can't turn their lives around are the ones with no real desire to change. They're too impatient. They want results right away."

This entire discussion started predicated on the idea that Deku's desire to save Shigaraki is ridiculous specifically because Shigaraki has never shown any desire to change at all beyond Deku repeatedly insisting that Shigaraki totally has an innocent child who wants to be saved hidden deep within him that no one else sees. He has never shown any hesitance towards being what he is and doing what he does. I had commented that it's really weird that the manga insists that Shigaraki should be saved while insisting that AfO was irredeemably evil despite him behaving basically the same as Shigaraki.

quote:

(The idea of it being fine to forgive villains up to point X, and thereafter verboten reminds me of a quote from an old detective story:
"For it seems to me that you only pardon the sins that you don't really think sinful. You only forgive criminals when they commit what you don't regard as crimes, but rather as conventions. So you tolerate a conventional duel, just as you tolerate a conventional divorce. You forgive because there isn't anything to be forgiven.”)

ImpAtom posted:

That is still punitive vengeance though. That is the point. What do you do with a person who genuinely repents and (presumably) intends to work to try to redeem themselves? If the answer is 'make them suffer uselessly' then that is still just revenge.
Obviously that only applies with genuine wholehearted redemption but that is why it is more interesting as a story beat than 'and then he died. The end''

There is absolutely a threshold of wrongdoing where it becomes difficult to find real redemption because you have harmed people so much that you have destroyed your own credibility. You've proven that you will cross a line that social norms and mores typically deem uncrossable and caused irreparable damage to the lives of others. Even if people are willing to not kill you for this, it is an incredibly huge ask to ask those victims to be willing to trust you to not cross those lines again on a whim and to believe that your contrition is genuine. Shigaraki is in the position of having directly destroyed the lives of millions of people and indirectly caused the extended suffering of millions more. Those people are not obligated to forgive him and trust him to live freely among them again simply because he says he's sorry and Deku goes "for real, he's really sorry", and it's not making him "suffer uselessly" for them simply to not want him to be in a position where he can even think about doing it again.

This is the logic behind restraining orders. If someone beats the poo poo out of their spouse, but then expresses regret and expresses a seemingly heartfelt desire to redeem themselves for their actions, it's not hosed up or wrong for the victim to go "no, I don't want you anywhere near me ever again, and if you come near me I will call someone to have you removed and you will get in trouble for trying to come near me". When you have someone like Shigaraki, who has materially harmed the entire population of a country, your options for what to do with him and where to send him are, uh, pretty limited, even without needing to address the concept of him being a physically invincible superman with the power to literally destroy the world by decaying the ground at his feet in important areas.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 29, 2023

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Shigaraki, defeated on the ground, grows an extra mouth and says "I say we let him go!" in a falsetto voice

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I do like the differences between AFO and Shigaraki, even if ultimately i'm sure I'll still think the latter Has To Go. AFO basically controlled society for a vaguely long period of time; several generations were working to get him. The "evil baby" bit is cool, but it's just kinda reasonable: he presented a situation where someone would indeed go nuts, and then the guy who had no help managed to stay on top and unchallenged for a century or something. Maybe someone could've saved him while he was still growing up! But he didn't get that help and then he became a world leader. Shigaraki is angry at a failed society and wants to tear it all down (and can commit mass murder at a ridiculous scale), but Deku wants to help him, and the story is going to tell us what that entails which may or may not land.

Basically, gently caress politicians.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
AfO's remnant will hop over into Deku, steal Shiggy's quirks, and then his brother will squish him again and leave both Deku and Shiggy quirkless

A random passerby sneezes on All Might and cures him 100%, everyone's happy again except Dabi and Spinner

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Dabi is just one kiss from Recovery Girl away from a full recovery.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I mean, this same story did a parallel redemption arc (with bad but of course not nearly as bad of offenses) with Endeavor that was generally well-received. I think doing this kind of arc with Shiggy "well" would look like voluntary servitude for the rest of his life for the families of his victims, ackowledging he can never truly repent, and acting as a living "Symbol of Peace" level cautionary tale against all the things that spawned the various members of the villain alliance.

I'm imagining like that guy in Millenium Actress who lived in poverty going around to the families of all of his war crime victims to help them in any way he could and beg forgiveness for the rest of his days, or that real life WW2 war criminal guy who after he got out of jail constructed a jail in his house to live in because he didn't think society had punished him enough.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Endeavor's story arc is a good example of what I'm talking about, because the resolution was his family basically going "you being sorry is great, but gently caress you, we're not obligated to forgive you" and that was generally well received by people reading it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

There is absolutely a threshold of wrongdoing where it becomes difficult to find real redemption because you have harmed people so much that you have destroyed your own credibility. You've proven that you will cross a line that social norms and mores typically deem uncrossable and caused irreparable damage to the lives of others. Even if people are willing to not kill you for this, it is an incredibly huge ask to ask those victims to be willing to trust you to not cross those lines again on a whim and to believe that your contrition is genuine. Shigaraki is in the position of having directly destroyed the lives of millions of people and indirectly caused the extended suffering of millions more. Those people are not obligated to forgive him and trust him to live freely among them again simply because he says he's sorry and Deku goes "for real, he's really sorry", and it's not making him "suffer uselessly" for them simply to not want him to be in a position where he can even think about doing it again.

This is the logic behind restraining orders. If someone beats the poo poo out of their spouse, but then expresses regret and expresses a seemingly heartfelt desire to redeem themselves for their actions, it's not hosed up or wrong for the victim to go "no, I don't want you anywhere near me ever again, and if you come near me I will call someone to have you removed and you will get in trouble for trying to come near me". When you have someone like Shigaraki, who has materially harmed the entire population of a country, your options for what to do with him and where to send him are, uh, pretty limited, even without needing to address the concept of him being a physically invincible superman with the power to literally destroy the world by decaying the ground at his feet in important areas.

I mean that's an incredible huge ask even if he's in prison. If he retains his quirk then keeping him imprisoned would require the ol' AFO, and "locked forever, immobile, in a featureless cell with guns pointed at you for the rest of your life" which is a whole lot more likely to cause a traumatized dude to relapse. The point of redemption is not that you are forgiven and excused, it is that you work to improve the world however you can because it is the right thing to do. And nobody is obligated to forgive or excuse him and he's not just going to be set free with a pat on the back. But that is why it is more interesting. It's a hard question to answer, whereas redemption -> death is quick and easy and removes any real difficulty in redeeming yourself and dealing with the consequences of your actions.

But the only other choice is to kill him. And if you kill him you're basically just saying "sorry, if you did bad, we're just going to murder you if you give up and surrender anyway." Which is, uh, something the story has actually pretty readily stood against and painted as a bad thing.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 29, 2023

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah. I think it's true that both even the worst people people can change, and that the people they've hurt are under no obligation to forgive them. ImpAtom's right that redemption = death squares ties that in too neat of a bow, but I can kinda see why because man is it a big topic to try and process during something like a quick series epilogue. poo poo, look at how many people joke about Orochimaru.

This is why the most interesting ones feel seeded in throughout the main series, like Zuko in Avatar.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the obvious way around this is to sprinkle enough hints of positive intent throughout the character's story to let the audience believe there's something good that can come from their redemption. otherwise you risk crossing the Melon Beastars threshold where the protagonists come off brain-damaged for trying to see the good in someone who's been giddily snapping kittens' necks and flaying people alive for the last eighteen months

shigaraki had a glimmer of that in his interactions with the rest of the league but then the quirk war arc and AFO came along and buried it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Bee posted:

Yeah. I think it's true that both even the worst people people can change, and that the people they've hurt are under no obligation to forgive them. ImpAtom's right that redemption = death squares ties that in too neat of a bow, but I can kinda see why because man is it a big topic to try and process during something like a quick series epilogue. poo poo, look at how many people joke about Orochimaru.

This is why the most interesting ones feel seeded in throughout the main series, like Zuko in Avatar.

To be honest I think the epilogue is basically the only reason I think MHA could even go that road because I wouldn't trust it to actually do it well long-term. But I would absolutely read the story of a horrible man who did terrible things dealing with the cons.. oh wait poo poo I'm just talking about FF14 again.

Oxxidation posted:

the obvious way around this is to sprinkle enough hints of positive intent throughout the character's story to let the audience believe there's something good that can come from their redemption. otherwise you risk crossing the Melon Beastars threshold where the protagonists come off brain-damaged for trying to see the good in someone who's been giddily snapping kittens' necks and flaying people alive for the last eighteen months

shigaraki had a glimmer of that in his interactions with the rest of the league but then the quirk war arc and AFO came along and buried it

What's the Melon Beastars thing?

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Can we just pretend the last arc of Beastars never happened please.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh is that the weird Joker-like dude? I think I heard about that once.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The best ending for Shigaraki is probably Eri regressing him into being a baby or Monoma copying All for One and stealing all his quirks because as noted there just really isn't a satisfying way to end the story with him alive, intact and with all his quirks. I'm not really sure how the plot can get there anymore though.

All for One is dead now so it's not even possible for him to sacrifice himself stopping a bigger threat a la Darth Vader unless it's to prevent something he himself causes.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 29, 2023

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Nephthys posted:

The best ending for Shigaraki is probably Eri regressing him into being a baby

So that Izuku can beat him up, yes.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

It also might not end up being a thing at all, but it is still theoretically possible that Decay was given to Shigaraki (strange man in a suit visits the family and Shigaraki suddenly awakens an incredibly destructive quirk that ruins his life).

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

ImpAtom posted:

Oh is that the weird Joker-like dude? I think I heard about that once.

yeah it was loving trash. Pisses me off remembering that character

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Nephthys posted:

All for One is dead now so it's not even possible for him to sacrifice himself stopping a bigger threat a la Darth Vader unless it's to prevent something he himself causes.

Well there is still a piece of All For One still buried deep in Shiggy's mind. But him finding a way to overpower Shigaraki and take back control again feels like it would undermine Bakugou's victory a bit.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm afraid we're getting the "hidden child inside Shigaraki" thing because of how he randomly snapped and started talking like his pre-villain child self was in control to Lemillion.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I mean that's an incredible huge ask even if he's in prison. If he retains his quirk then keeping him imprisoned would require the ol' AFO, and "locked forever, immobile, in a featureless cell with guns pointed at you for the rest of your life" which is a whole lot more likely to cause a traumatized dude to relapse. The point of redemption is not that you are forgiven and excused, it is that you work to improve the world however you can because it is the right thing to do. And nobody is obligated to forgive or excuse him and he's not just going to be set free with a pat on the back. But that is why it is more interesting. It's a hard question to answer, whereas redemption -> death is quick and easy and removes any real difficulty in redeeming yourself and dealing with the consequences of your actions.

But the only other choice is to kill him. And if you kill him you're basically just saying "sorry, if you did bad, we're just going to murder you if you give up and surrender anyway." Which is, uh, something the story has actually pretty readily stood against and painted as a bad thing.

Okay but being forced to see and interact with someone who caused you tremendous personal trauma is a pretty big problem, and Shigaraki's crimes have reached a scale where he has victimized literally the entirety of Japan on a direct or indirect level. This isn't something like Endeavor where he abused and ruined his family and feels bad about so he's seeking redemption and he can do that while his family tells him to gently caress off forever. What do you do with Shigaraki to allow him to seek redemption which doesn't rip open the wounds of everyone he interacts with? Where do you send him to allow him to "work to improve the world" without constantly reminding people of what he did to them?

Plus, you know, this is all predicated on Shigaraki actually feeling an ounce of remorse for his actions, which he hasn't yet. This whole conversation started because the manga was really gung ho about it being totally great to extrajudicially kill AfO because he was just Born Evil and nobody magically saw the good in him to want to save him, so I'm not really giving MHA points for any form of consistency.

ImpAtom posted:

What's the Melon Beastars thing?

Melon was an absurdly evil Joker knockoff introduced to be the main antagonist of the last arc of Beastars. He did things like sexual assault people, murder, and cannibalism for no reason other than the shits of it. The manga dropped an 11th hour explanation that the reason he was a murderous psychopath was that his mom and dad were really big jerks and even had his dad show up to be a sock puppet for everyone to yell at, absolving Melon of all agency for the many horrific things he did. The story ends with him being put in jail and looking at the camera and grinning while reading through a giant pile of fan mail people sent him.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

you don't have to agree with the manga or think it's well written (I certainly don't), but if you truly can't find any daylight or nuance differentiating the like 150-year-old criminal mastermind who was in full command of his faculties the whole time and the 20-year-old he brainwashed, I just really don't think you're trying very hard.

it's gonna be stupid and poorly executed when deku saves shigaraki, but it's not because there's some complicated moral equivalence the manga is ignoring. it's because deku is boring.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

Okay but being forced to see and interact with someone who caused you tremendous personal trauma is a pretty big problem, and Shigaraki's crimes have reached a scale where he has victimized literally the entirety of Japan on a direct or indirect level. This isn't something like Endeavor where he abused and ruined his family and feels bad about so he's seeking redemption and he can do that while his family tells him to gently caress off forever. What do you do with Shigaraki to allow him to seek redemption which doesn't rip open the wounds of everyone he interacts with? Where do you send him to allow him to "work to improve the world" without constantly reminding people of what he did to them?

Plus, you know, this is all predicated on Shigaraki actually feeling an ounce of remorse for his actions, which he hasn't yet. This whole conversation started because the manga was really gung ho about it being totally great to extrajudicially kill AfO because he was just Born Evil and nobody magically saw the good in him to want to save him, so I'm not really giving MHA points for any form of consistency.

You figure something out, because the alternative (murdering a prisoner who surrendered and genuinely renounced their actions) is abhorrent and disgusting. (This is, of course, assuming he does, but it is unlikely Deku's story will end with 'and then I failed and had to punch Shigaraki's head off.') It's an interesting thing for media to explore for that reason! Again, I don't think MHA will knock it out of the park, but I'd rather it be an issue it even has to loosely wave its hand at instead of all the bad people dying conveniently. (Which MHA is already coming dangerously close to, if Toga is really dead.)

And as far as AFO goes: They did not extrajudicially murder him. He used the Rewind drug on himself, knowing it would kill him, and they dedicated the rest of his life to murdering people and trying to take over the brain of someone else. The people fighting against him had the choice of allowing him to do that or fighting him, which would make his self-imposed 'condition' speed up. They chose to fight him because there's a difference between killing a captured prisoner and stopping a guy who did a suicide move on himself.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Endeavor and the other heroes were totally about to murder AFO before he used Rewind to give himself more time. He literally only used Rewind as a last resort because he knew he was done for.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
narratively AFO offed himself, but the series of events leading up to his offing are so contrived that they don't even follow the rules of the quirk. It feels like a pretty obvious cop out to the central theme of "everyone can be saved" and honestly the heroes still effectively killed him by shortening his lifespan. The hero deku wants to be woulda found the good in AFO and reversed his aging, but because this violent orphan wasn't confirmed redeemable by deku it's okay to punch him til he self aborts.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I mean that's a very dumb way of looking at it. Deku isn't professing that all villains are redeemable and we can't kill and everyone needs to be given infinite chances. He's doing exactly what he did in chapter 1 where he saw Bakugo silently crying out for help despite being a target of his bullying, trying to help. He doesn't want to save Shigaraki because he believes in the inherent goodness of Man and that all villains need to be saved and given infinite chances. He's trying to save Shigaraki because he saw Shigaraki crying out, silently, for help. And until otherwise forced he WANTS to try to save him, even from himself.

Taking that to "OH BUT SO HE DOESN'T SEE THE GOOD IN AFO KILLING HIM IS FINE?!" Is like... extremely media illiterate.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Did we not just see AFO's brother see the good in him literally mid-murder by all for one. Even if the point was "All for One's brother is stupid for not hating him" the story is still firm in that you shouldn't kill your villains. Being able to extend kindness and understanding to even unrepentant slime like overhaul and dabi has been the theme of the last 10 fights. MUSCULAR got one. and yet all for one sticks out as the one guy it's heroic to kill.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

TheHan posted:

Did we not just see AFO's brother see the good in him literally mid-murder by all for one. Even if the point was "All for One's brother is stupid for not hating him" the story is still firm in that you shouldn't kill your villains. Being able to extend kindness and understanding to even unrepentant slime like overhaul and dabi has been the theme of the last 10 fights. MUSCULAR got one. and yet all for one sticks out as the one guy it's heroic to kill.

No, we see that the First tried to reach out to AFO and AFO rejected him, gleefully. And it's a gigantic jump from "Extend kindness and understanding" to "Absolutely do not kill them! EVER! FOR ANY REASON!" The theme of the story is that you should always try to understand and help people not that people are precious special little wonders of kindness who can do no wrong and are as pure as unblemished snow. Deku didn't kill Muscular because he didn't want or need to. That is Deku's choice. He doesn't say "I pity you Muscular, I see the good you are." He asks if Muscular is all that he is, something Muscular confirms, and then Deku one-shots him.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

TheHan posted:

Because the story doesn't say it's heroic to kill All for One. The victory was withstanding his maddened assault, Bakugo survived the great demon king of Japan and was still standing.

Which to an extent is the point, All for One more or less chose, once he had achieved safety for himself and his brother, to keep going and inflict as much evil on the world as he could. He started in a bad place, but he chose to transform the world to his design and ruin lives for a hobby over multiple centuries.

You can also extend kindness and understanding, sometimes that understanding is "AfO is willing to kill himself for the chance to be an evil demon king of japan" meanwhile Izuku has direct self confirmation of some part of Shigaraki wanting to be saved so he's going to try. But that doesn't mean Izuku is going to let Shigaraki murder the world.

That's the difference, AfO never stopped, and never would have, no matter who reached for him. Shigaraki has at least made real bonds of caring that he is "fighting for". AfO remained selfish and manipulative to the end.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

You figure something out, because the alternative (murdering a prisoner who surrendered and genuinely renounced their actions) is abhorrent and disgusting. (This is, of course, assuming he does, but it is unlikely Deku's story will end with 'and then I failed and had to punch Shigaraki's head off.') It's an interesting thing for media to explore for that reason! Again, I don't think MHA will knock it out of the park, but I'd rather it be an issue it even has to loosely wave its hand at instead of all the bad people dying conveniently. (Which MHA is already coming dangerously close to, if Toga is really dead.)

And as far as AFO goes: They did not extrajudicially murder him. He used the Rewind drug on himself, knowing it would kill him, and they dedicated the rest of his life to murdering people and trying to take over the brain of someone else. The people fighting against him had the choice of allowing him to do that or fighting him, which would make his self-imposed 'condition' speed up. They chose to fight him because there's a difference between killing a captured prisoner and stopping a guy who did a suicide move on himself.

I never mentioned murdering a prisoner who has surrendered at any point, you're the one who inserted that concept into this discussion. The ideas I put forward were either him dying in the act of redemption(ala Vader), putting him in prison(you've already expressed distaste for this), or sending him off somewhere(but where the gently caress you'd send him is another question with no actual answer because nobody else is going to want to give a chance to a genocidal criminal who tried to destroy a country). What, precisely, do you mean by "figure something out"? The difficulty of figuring something out is the entire thrust of the conversation.

The heroes were also absolutely trying to kill AfO before he shot up with Rewind, and All Might literally tried to punch his head off in their original encounter and the only regret we ever see from All Might about that fight is that he didn't finish AfO off for good. "Killing AfO is good" is a fairly consistent throughline in the story. They tried putting him in prison and he was still perfectly capable of influencing events and continuing to do increasing levels of harm.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 29, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

I never mentioned murdering a prisoner who has surrendered at any point, you're the one who inserted that concept! The ideas I put forward were either putting him in prison or sending him off somewhere, but where the gently caress you'd send him is another question because nobody else is going to want to give a chance to a genocidal criminal who tried to destroy a country..

Right, but as mentioned, putting him in prison because you fear he is going to kill again means giving him the AFO treatment, and "locked, immoble and unable to move, with guns pointed at you 24/7" isn't meaningfully different from killing him on the spot except you give him 50-something years of horrible torture first. And you could send him elsewhere but that isn't really a solution unless somewhere agrees to take him.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Right, but as mentioned, putting him in prison because you fear he is going to kill again means giving him the AFO treatment, and "locked, immoble and unable to move, with guns pointed at you 24/7" isn't meaningfully different from killing him on the spot except you give him 50-something years of horrible torture first. And you could send him elsewhere but that isn't really a solution unless somewhere agrees to take him.

Okay, so what's the solution that makes any kind of narrative sense? The entire population of Japan is so inspired by Deku's example that they all unanimously agree to trust in the 11th hour conversion of this invincible superpowered demigod who destroyed their country?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ImpAtom posted:

They have a synthetic de-Quirking factor, and they even have the capacity to create completely functional synthetic Quirks. You can make an ethical argument regarding how foundational a Quirk is to your identity, but I think Shigaraki's disintegration Quirk was given to him, wasn't it? So the original guy with Disintegration is probably long dead.