Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I thought I was ready to go over Gello's photos to sort them and get all nostalgic. This video, however, broke me. I never realised how much she looked to me - she really loved me. And considering her start in life, that's the highest honour possible. And I think a love like that was something very, very special.

https://i.imgur.com/TKbnxZn.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Radiation Cow posted:

I thought I was ready to go over Gello's photos to sort them and get all nostalgic. This video, however, broke me. I never realised how much she looked to me - she really loved me. And considering her start in life, that's the highest honour possible. And I think a love like that was something very, very special.

https://i.imgur.com/TKbnxZn.mp4

:kimchi:

She absolutely was a special girl and you should feel good for having that influence on her

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

:kimchi:

She absolutely was a special girl and you should feel good for having that influence on her

Absolutely! Also, that great vid reminded me - I love that brief-yet-intense shake greys do, where their front half lifts off the ground. Had to chuckle when Gello did it in the vid, just then :D

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I’ve wondered if that shake is actually more intense than other dogs, but in any case it looks way more crazy because their long lanky legs go flying everywhere and they’re big enough that you can distinctly see the shake move backwards along their body

I don’t think any other dog would have the same effect. I feel like Borzois or Irish Wolfhounds would have too much mass and whippets aren’t big enough

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

It's definitely the legs going flying. Boudicca's are so intense, she's started falling over during a particularly good shake.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Hello looked like an incredibly happy girl :3

A lady I know has a deerhound and a saluki, the deerhound has like a slow motion shake (they are generally kind of slow motion dogs) and the saluki does get a little of the leg wobble, but it's not so intense.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

david_a posted:

I’ve wondered if that shake is actually more intense than other dogs, but in any case it looks way more crazy because their long lanky legs go flying everywhere and they’re big enough that you can distinctly see the shake move backwards along their body

I don’t think any other dog would have the same effect. I feel like Borzois or Irish Wolfhounds would have too much mass and whippets aren’t big enough

Got a whippet and a greyhound, Whippets literally look like they are falling apart with their shake.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Seems we're going to be a one-dog household for the foreseeable future. Had a few meet and greets with the local rescue this weekend, and Boudicca hated every single one of them. The rescue lady recommended we let her live out her retirement as an alone dog and then get either one or two doggos when she passes. Definitely don't want to put any more stress on the old girl; we thought she'd do better if she had another pal to encourage her to keep active, but that's obviously not happening.

Unfortunately, that does mean that we have to deal with 5am wake-up calls from Bouds because she's feeling bored/lonely.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Shame to hear that it went like that, but maybe try giving it a go again in the future? We're planning to get another rescue when we have a house and Ella is a bit older. Ella loves almost everyone, so hopefully it'll be easy.

Interesting about that 5am wake-up calls. Ella has been doing it lately, almost always when we've had people sleeping over and then it continued. I don't mind but she scared my wife once by just standing next to her face staring at her while whining (my wife uses ear plugs so she didn't hear her come in). I really love having Ella in bed with us though because she is so warm and cuddly. :3:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

She's got a history of dog reactivity, so I think it's best we don't try to force it. There's also definitely a hint of resource guarding (she got very uppity when my partner started paying attention to the other dog). I guess we just lucked out with Gello because she was there first, and then Boudicca just slotted in, whereas now she's a lot more defensive about "her stuff".

Boudicca starts the wake-up process very gently, with a light sniff and poke under the covers. However, if that isn't enough, she does the sharpest, shortest bark right in your face. It's infuriating, and she's also started doing it before supper time. She's definitely settled in as being the true ruler of the house.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Radiation Cow posted:

Boudicca starts the wake-up process very gently, with a light sniff and poke under the covers. However, if that isn't enough, she does the sharpest, shortest bark right in your face. It's infuriating, and she's also started doing it before supper time. She's definitely settled in as being the true ruler of the house.

That's hilarious... when it doesn't happen to oneself. I know those sharp short barks... From looking at YouTube clips etc. it seems like these dogs are not very secretive when it comes to showing how the feel or what they want.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Our current foster is a bit like that. She’ll be in your face nuzzling and licking. Then when she gets really excited and wants to go out there is one short intense bark.

Hazel had to have 6 teeth out yesterday, that was quite upsetting and I hope she hasn’t been in pain due to them up to this point. It was strangely upsetting but kind of cute when she was super high after the sedation too. Her smile won’t be the same :(

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Just had a terrible day with Boudicca. She went in to get several lumps removed under sedation. The vet's aware of her age and condition, but decided that at least one of the tumours would start bleeding in the near future, and that it would be safer to remove them all now under sedation than wait for them to get worse, pop, and require surgery under general anaestheia.

Surgery went well, and we got a call to pick Boudicca up in the afternoon. About half an hour later, we got another call saying that we needed to pick her up urgently. She was deeply, deeply unhappy and needed a nurse to sit with her all the time, otherwise she'd start freaking out and hyperventilating. By the time we got to the vet, she could barely walk (her hind legs being weak are a known issue, which was exacerbated by the sedation) and massively stressed. We got her home, and then spent a nerve-wracking few hours just trying to comfort her through what seemed like a panic attack. It was gut-wrenching to watch, especially as she struggled to get up and find a cosy spot.

I know she's an old dog, and she's definitely been going downhill in terms of mobility and stuff (despite regular physio visits). But seeing her get that panicked at the vet, when normally she's been pretty calm about it, makes it very clear that she's taking Gello's loss as hard as we are.

She's finally asleep, and has recovered the use of her back legs, but it was a rude wake-up call that our tank girl is still a sensitive, older girl who needs a lot of TLC.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

very sorry to hear that!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Radiation Cow posted:

Just had a terrible day with Boudicca. She went in to get several lumps removed under sedation. The vet's aware of her age and condition, but decided that at least one of the tumours would start bleeding in the near future, and that it would be safer to remove them all now under sedation than wait for them to get worse, pop, and require surgery under general anaestheia.

Surgery went well, and we got a call to pick Boudicca up in the afternoon. About half an hour later, we got another call saying that we needed to pick her up urgently. She was deeply, deeply unhappy and needed a nurse to sit with her all the time, otherwise she'd start freaking out and hyperventilating. By the time we got to the vet, she could barely walk (her hind legs being weak are a known issue, which was exacerbated by the sedation) and massively stressed. We got her home, and then spent a nerve-wracking few hours just trying to comfort her through what seemed like a panic attack. It was gut-wrenching to watch, especially as she struggled to get up and find a cosy spot.

I know she's an old dog, and she's definitely been going downhill in terms of mobility and stuff (despite regular physio visits). But seeing her get that panicked at the vet, when normally she's been pretty calm about it, makes it very clear that she's taking Gello's loss as hard as we are.

She's finally asleep, and has recovered the use of her back legs, but it was a rude wake-up call that our tank girl is still a sensitive, older girl who needs a lot of TLC.

That’s really sad to hear. I hope she can become a bit more settled soon!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Poor girl! Sounds like she’s much more attached to you now in her old age. Hopefully she recovers well from the surgery with some TLC.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh no, that's awful news! Hopefully she's feeling better tomorrow :(

david_a posted:

Poor girl! Sounds like she’s much more attached to you now in her old age. Hopefully she recovers well from the surgery with some TLC.

Yeah, agreed. My experience is limited and I know Taz isn't a big sample size, but he's 100% gotten way more attached to me as he was reaching his double-digits, to the point where he gets depressed when I'm not around - even if my partner and Opal are with him. So I'm certain Boudicca's increasingly leaning on you, in much the same way. I can't imagine what he'd be like in Boudicca's situation - since she's a tough girl!

In any case, I'm sorry for the rough day you've both had - I hope the discomfort passes soon, and she's back to her usual self :(

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

She woke me up with a very loving bark at 5am. She's definitely much perkier today. Just need to remember that while she's unflappable for a greyhound, that's still pretty flappable!

This should be the last surgery she needs ever, so hopefully won't have to do this drama again.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Radiation Cow posted:

She woke me up with a very loving bark at 5am. She's definitely much perkier today. Just need to remember that while she's unflappable for a greyhound, that's still pretty flappable!

This should be the last surgery she needs ever, so hopefully won't have to do this drama again.

haha aww - I hope there was a big wet boop to the face, to accompany that bark! :D Great to hear, in any case!

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Ended up in the ER with Rory again all day Friday (and I do mean all day... got there at 8 AM and left at 9 PM). She was actually doing a lot better since her last episode, but had been steadily going downhill over the course of a few days. I was hoping it was just her arthritis flaring up since it's been especially cold recently. They've more or less confirmed that it's a herniated disc based on her symptoms. She was weak, but walking on Friday when we were there, but over the past two days she's become completely incapacitated.

Figures this would happen over the holiday weekend. Her pain is under control fortunately, but she has to be carried everywhere. I called the ER again today to get them to help faciliate a referral to the neurologist, now just crossing my fingers that they can fit her in for an urgent consult when they reopen on Tuesday.

It's a bad scene, y'all. Hug your hounds tight. :(

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 24, 2023

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I noticed you hadn’t posted in a while but I was afraid to ask :ohdear:

Hang in there poor Rory (and owner) :unsmith:

Edit: Katie and I got invited over to some friends for a Christmas gettogether. Little Katedog is the only family I have left on this side of the Atlantic. She decided to escape the insanity of gift exchanges and found a quiet corner.

david_a fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 24, 2023

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

pastor of muppets posted:

Ended up in the ER with Rory again all day Friday (and I do mean all day... got there at 8 AM and left at 9 PM). She was actually doing a lot better since her last episode, but had been steadily going downhill over the course of a few days. I was hoping it was just her arthritis flaring up since it's been especially cold recently. They've more or less confirmed that it's a herniated disc based on her symptoms. She was weak, but walking on Friday when we were there, but over the past two days she's become completely incapacitated.

Figures this would happen over the holiday weekend. Her pain is under control fortunately, but she has to be carried everywhere. I called the ER again today to get them to help faciliate a referral to the neurologist, now just crossing my fingers that they can fit her in for an urgent consult when they reopen on Tuesday.

i'm very sorry to hear that :smith:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

You're doing the very best you can for her. Give her lots of love and kisses from us, and know that we're all hoping that she pulls through.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Just got out of the MRI. It’s a tumor. Taking her home and will say our goodbyes.

Completely heartbroken.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Just got out of the MRI. It’s a tumor. Taking her home and will say our goodbyes.

Completely heartbroken.

I'm so sorry for you, I'm devastated to hear that :(

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Completely heartbroken.
aw gently caress dude i’m so sorry to hear that :sympathy:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Completely heartbroken.

So sorry for your loss, that's absolutely awful. This year can just go gently caress itself.

Would love to hear your favourite Rory stories when you're feeling up for it.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Completely heartbroken.

I’m so sorry to hear that :(

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Completely heartbroken.

I'm so sorry to hear about Rory :smith:

Here to support you as best I can, as you supported me when Abby passed away

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

It couldn’t wait. Took her in to the ER tonight. She’s gone.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Really sorry for your loss, that's terrible. Rory was a very cool dog and obviously well loved.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
We're all devastated for you :(

When my mom passed at least I could take solace in that she wasn't in discomfort anymore

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Thanks yall. I’ll post some pictures and stories at some point, then I will probably check out of this thread for a while…just hurts too much right now.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

When my husband and I first started dating almost 18 years ago, we were poor college students and never really had the money to go on "real dates." Most of the time we spent together was just hanging out in bed all day, eating frozen pizza and wings, napping, playing video games, watching movies, doing couples stuff.

When we officially merged our lives and moved in together after a few years, we continued the tradition every Saturday morning. One of us would wake up around 7 or so and make coffee. We'd have breakfast in bed. We'd watch cartoons. We'd pay bills and make grocery lists and plan our weekend and just generally lounge around for a few hours enjoying each other's company.

When Rory came into our lives, we instituted a "NO DOG ON THE BED" rule, which almost immediately was rescinded. She knew she wasn't allowed on the big bed during the night and slept on her own bed on the floor next to me, but she would jump in bed with us whenever she heard we were awake. She'd give us each a good morning kiss and then stretch out in the most space-consuming way she could find. We'd share bits of our breakfast with her and she would nap until it was time to start our day.

For the past year or so she had a harder and harder time jumping into bed with us, so I would pick her up and put her in bed. Recently, she stop trying completely. Last Saturday, she was completely paralyzed in her hind legs but still wanted in bed one last time.

Tomorrow will be our first Saturday in ten years without her with us for our weekend ritual. Just one of the thousand different ways that every part of our lives just feels wrong now.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Oh Rory ❤️ What a wonderful girl, that story made me smile so much! They're such gentle souls, I love how they are just so happy to quietly share space with us (or take up all of it).

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thank you for sharing that!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
What a lovely story :kimchi:

I'm so sorry for your loss, Rory was a good dog

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
They sure do like to be close to you, even the ones that pretend to be aloof. Bye Rory :yaycloud:

Katie over here was in A Mood today and thought the park I picked was awful, or maybe blamed me for the weather, but she refused to budge after walking about 20 feet from the car:

I had to carry her back to the car after a few minutes

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

When Rory came into our lives, we instituted a "NO DOG ON THE BED" rule, which almost immediately was rescinded.

A tale as old as time. I'm sure there are Egyptian hieroglyphs that talk about greyhounds and beds.

I love the raised ear - she may have been chilling, but she was still checking in with her people. I'm so sorry for your loss, it's amazing how they fit themselves into every corner of your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

david_a posted:

Katie over here was in A Mood today and thought the park I picked was awful, or maybe blamed me for the weather, but she refused to budge after walking about 20 feet from the car:

I had to carry her back to the car after a few minutes

How can she look both so annoyed yet so cozy in her coat at the same time??

I emailed our rescue this morning basically just asking how long their turnaround time is these days for matching new hounds once an application is submitted. I expect things to take longer now since Florida is out of the picture and we have some pretty specific needs (want another young female and she has to be cat safe). Our rescue still gets plenty of hounds from West Virginia so they seem to still have regular hauls.

We are in absolutely no way ready to adopt yet, but it feels like something I need to start thinking about in order to heal. My husband isn’t even ready to talk about adopting again.