Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Nessus posted:

what's their problem with it?

Mike mentioned watching 1 or 2 episodes and never going back to it, I don’t know if they’ve ever talked about it in more detail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nessus posted:

According to Rich Evans they watched the first episode the day it premiered back in Summer 2020, judged it purely based on that single 22 minute stretch alone, decided it wasn't worth their time and never watched another episode ever again.

So it made a bad first impression on them and everyone who has tried to get them to watch it or anything else Modern Trek related since then that's not either Discovery or Picard has been met with "oh that's nice, dear" as a response. So when it comes to Modern Trek, Mike and Rich kinda got what they deserved and I'm glad we don't have them and RLM fans stinking up the discourse around SNW, Lower Decks and Prodigy, our walled garden of Good Trek.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Dec 29, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I could see docking LD a proverbial point or two for the level of Trek referencery but that was fading palpably as s1 went along, I thought.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
RLM treats Lower Decks the way William Shatner treats RLM.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nessus posted:

I could see docking LD a proverbial point or two for the level of Trek referencery but that was fading palpably as s1 went along, I thought.

Atlas Hugged posted:

RLM treats Lower Decks the way William Shatner treats RLM.

The terrible secret of RedLetterMedia is that they're kind of lovely Star Trek fans once all their cards are on the table :ssh:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

RLM's opinion of Star Wars stopped mattering when they made bad faith arguments against Episode 8 and their opinion of Star Trek stopped mattering when they made bad faith arguments against The Orville. They're still fun when they're nerding out over TNG or DS9, though, and I still watch the old Plinkett TNG movie videos annually. The recent TNG quiz video was great.

But yes, they are really bad actors of their fandoms.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Nessus posted:

They’ll dock LDS for being reference heavy in its early episodes but then completely eat up all the sloppy fan service bullshit in Picard S3 without question because they’re hypocrites who really only want to see all the familiar toys being pulled out of the toybox.

They don’t give a poo poo that the plot doesn’t make a lick of sense or that the season regularly hosed up and poo poo all over anything pulled from a source other than TNG because at the end of the day they still got to see the entire TNG cast get jerked off by someone they can really truly identify with; a Gen X loser who doesn’t actually understand TNG and only remembers the well-known pop culture osmosis bits of the show.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

MikeJF posted:

Very close, I think they mention six light years at one point. Occupying Bajor was kinda an Iron Curtain thing for them, in part.

No I know. I'm saying "one of my issues is how close bajor and cardassia are"
We know it's close because of that solar sailer episode

ALSO related in real terms there should be loving loads of occupations all over the galaxy. Either Klingons/Cardassians/Romulans are lucky enough to have a ton of space with no other aliens in OR they're occupying their worlds

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

According to Rich Evans they watched the first episode the day it premiered back in Summer 2020, judged it purely based on that single 22 minute stretch alone, decided it wasn't worth their time and never watched another episode ever again.

So it made a bad first impression on them and everyone who has tried to get them to watch it or anything else Modern Trek related since then that's not either Discovery or Picard has been met with "oh that's nice, dear" as a response. So when it comes to Modern Trek, Mike and Rich kinda got what they deserved and I'm glad we don't have them and RLM fans stinking up the discourse around SNW, Lower Decks and Prodigy, our walled garden of Good Trek.

Wait. They completely wrote off a STAR TREK based on the first episode? What in the hell.

Edit: is there a single scifi series with a good first episode? Red Dwarf maybe?

Taear posted:

No I know. I'm saying "one of my issues is how close bajor and cardassia are"
We know it's close because of that solar sailer episode

ALSO related in real terms there should be loving loads of occupations all over the galaxy. Either Klingons/Cardassians/Romulans are lucky enough to have a ton of space with no other aliens in OR they're occupying their worlds

I always kinda assumed the Klingons and Romulans wiped out or are still occupying their closest neighbours honestly and Bajor was special due to being on the border and able to break free whereas the poor schmucks one system away from Qonos have no chance.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Dec 29, 2023

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

DaveKap posted:

RLM's opinion of Star Wars stopped mattering when they made bad faith arguments against Episode 8

Their embarrassing weeks long meltdown over Rogue One predated that one

But if Picard S3 being the only thing they've liked is surprising, remember at one point they made a "what our new series pitch would be" video and paraphrased it's entire idea was we need to get Picard back onto an old Galaxy class ship. It's what they wanted.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

They've since gone back and are fans of Lower Decks though, Mike at least has talked about how he enjoys it since and the best episodes stand out there as some of the best star trek plots.

It's a bit funny though that the catalyst to checking it out again was almost certainly getting Jack Quaid on their own show.

I imagine the real reason they wrote it off at first has more to do with most of that crew just not really being into animation at all, which is a shame. Mike also bought all of Prodigy and is waiting for a chance to watch ot.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Dec 29, 2023

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
BlueSky is weird because it seems to be a mix of people who genuinely like Picard and people who acknowledge that it is in fact terrible, but gently caress it they're a mark for the Enterprise-D and they know it.

Honestly, I've never really liked the D's silhouette. It always felt like a Ford Taurus to me. I am much more an Enterprise Refit kind of guy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nessus posted:

It's a cartoon

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It still cracks me up that after the first episode of season 3 of Picard, the show forgets to even bring up Picard’s girlfriend

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

A Sometimes Food posted:

Wait. They completely wrote off a STAR TREK based on the first episode? What in the hell.

Edit: is there a single scifi series with a good first episode? Red Dwarf maybe?

Encounter at Farpoint owns and I won't hear otherwise.

The first episode of Discovery is pretty great too actually, sets up all this cool stuff and was a fun reimagining of Trek.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

It still cracks me up that after the first episode of season 3 of Picard, the show forgets to even bring up Picard’s girlfriend

Matalas seems a bit resentful that the positive reaction to Orla Brady in the first season forced them to deal with her in the latter two. At least season 2 tried something with giving her another role in the time travel plot even if it was dumb, but season 3 ejecting her from the plot; which hinges on conspiracy and infiltration, not things an ex-Tal Shiar spy would be helpful in sorting out, no siree; is another thing that kind of puts the lie to the whole Next Next Generation thing. Whether you like Picard S3 or not, that claim is obvious bullshit as it gives basically no screen time to any of the supposed legacy characters except Jack (technically Shaw too, but whoops, phaser to the chest).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I honestly wonder if it was a budgetary thing

Matalas has said that they spent a ton of their budget on just the Enterprise-D bridge set (which is only in two episodes).

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Aw, dang it, I didn't pre-order the bluray for Lower Decks season 4 because I didn't want it arriving while I was out of town for Christmas, but now it's listed on amazon as Unavailable. I wonder how long it will take them to restock...

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DesperateDan posted:

I have sat through some really poo poo star trek to get to this point, I will experience bij picard and honour the past sacrifices I made with more suffering now

It's gonna have to be really loving bad to beat the first three seasons of enterprise, let's see

It's weird and bad but not unwatchable. If it was the old days before internet streaming when I had the tv on every night I would probably have watched Picard rather than The Bachelor or whatever was on the other channels in that time slot. That's how I watched Enterprise and Voyager and the rest, uncritically, and it never occurred to me that they were bad. I've watched some real bad scifi over the years, Picard is far from the worst.

The worst thing about Picard (the show) is what it does to Picard (the character). I think it would have been better if it had been a random elderly retired admiral who is dealing with his failing body and dwindling influence while trying to save the world.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FlamingLiberal posted:

The first four episodes of Picard S3 are alright. But it gets progressively worse than there, and then jumps off of a cliff by like episode 8

But then they get the old gang together for one last job and it's still bad, but it's bad in the same way as every single "reunion special" for an old show is bad.

Except Monk. They recently released "Mr. Monk's Last Case: A Monk Movie" and despite some dumb finagling to get all the old characters in one place again it was pretty much as good as a normal episode.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
I liked Star Trek Picard. 🤷🏻‍♂️

It wasn't GREAT Trek but it wasn't AWFUL Trek either. (Discovery easily claims the "awful" crown.) The first season was okay, the second season was good, and the third season was really good. I'm a pretty hard core Star Trek fan and have been for decades - remember Soran's Trilithium missile from Generations? I OWN THE THING. Yes, the one from the movie. As someone who has lived Star Trek in its many incarnations for a very long time dating all the way back to TOS, there are shows I adore (TNG, SNW), there are shows I like (TOS, DS9, LDS, PIC), and there are shows I very much dislike (DIS, VOY, ENT).

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of valid criticisms against PIC - many of which I agree with - but there's also plenty of people who just LIVE to hate poo poo. I'm also a huge fan of the Fallout game series, and I'm already seeing the same toxic bullshit from the fandom after the first trailer for the upcoming TV show was released. "This is going to be terrible!" and "gently caress this show!" criticizing it as unwatchable because it's allegedly missing stuff from the lore or that it simply can't possibly be good, basing that decision on nothing more than a 2 minute trailer. (And production stills have already made many of those complaints moot, since poo poo they're insisting is missing actually IS represented in the show.)

There's not a lot to be happy about in this world, but I don't ever understand the drive for people intentionally finding reasons to be UNhappy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Mike Stoklasa account spotted

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Counterpoint: Picard sucked and you're stupid

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

CPColin posted:

Counterpoint: Picard sucked and you're stupid

You know, that makes a lot of sense.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
:tipshat:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I will say that before Picard came out I was excited, because I grew up watching TNG. So it pains me that it’s by far the worst Trek series they have produced. Especially since I have a lot of issues with Discovery.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think Discovery is bad but at least it is coherent and understandable in an 'I want to write Star Trek but my only frame of reference is Doctor Who and I think my audience are idiots' kind of way. I don't like it, I don't think it is good, but I can understand that for someone else it might be what they want.

I cannot understand anyone watching Picard and enjoying it.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Discovery actually tried multiple times to be good and to earn goodwill, even if it usually fell short. Picard just strutted out with 110% confidence and immediately poo poo its pants and died, punctuated with a “please clap” sign.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
I hope we could at least agree that Mike Okuda did his usual incredible job with the updated LCARS visuals. Because holy poo poo.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

DISCO is far, far better than PICARD seasons 2 and 3.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Accipiter posted:

I hope we could at least agree that Mike Okuda did his usual incredible job with the updated LCARS visuals. Because holy poo poo.

Yeah, Okuda stays winning

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Honestly, the only thing that would get me passionate about seeing Patrick Stewart play Picard again is if they could figure out a reason to get him playing opposite Ian McKellen. If anything, Sir Ian playing the lead Changeling in S3 of Picard might've made every other silly thing dismissible.

I've a feeling that'd bring out the best in both.

But, let's be honest. Stewart's been *done* with playing Picard since Nemesis, and it's known that he only made that movie for the paycheck and the opportunity to drive dune buggies on the studio's dime.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

CPColin posted:

Yeah, Okuda stays winning

Plus he's just a good guy. He's a really good guy. He's a great guy. When I first got the missile I had dropped him a line to see if there was any information he could give me about how it was constructed (specifically the paint) and his ideas on the right way to restore the thing, and he actually got back to me. We chatted briefly and unfortunately the information he could provide on it was limited since much of the construction was handled by Anthony Fredrickson and that the painting was most likely a custom blend whipped up by the paint department. But the info he gave me was helpful nonetheless.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
I definitely give DIS and (most of) PIC credit for at least being fun to look at, even if it's in service of nonsense

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

The Chairman posted:

I definitely give DIS and (most of) PIC credit for at least being fun to look at, even if it's in service of nonsense

I feel like "being able to see literally anything" should be a prerequisite for "fun to look at."

edit: incidentally I know I mentioned how reactionary Voyager was as a show, but it doesn't hold a candle to Picard season 3 and the literal woke mind virus shutting down the brains of all twenty-somethings in starfleet with thoughts of collectivism and thus the day once again has to be saved by the grizzled gerontocracy who just knows betterTM

3 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 29, 2023

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

The Chairman posted:

All the ships are ugly as hell though

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sharkopath posted:

I imagine the real reason they wrote it off at first has more to do with most of that crew just not really being into animation at all, which is a shame. Mike also bought all of Prodigy and is waiting for a chance to watch ot.

Lower Decks S1E1 is actually bad and had me seriously worried about the series. The second episode was a lot better, but it didn't start being an appealing show until the third.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

3 posted:

I feel like "being able to see literally anything" should be a prerequisite for "fun to look at."

I liked the slight shade thrown at Picard’s lighting in a few tweets by the set designers.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Honestly, the only thing that would get me passionate about seeing Patrick Stewart play Picard again is if they could figure out a reason to get him playing opposite Ian McKellen. If anything, Sir Ian playing the lead Changeling in S3 of Picard might've made every other silly thing dismissible.

I've a feeling that'd bring out the best in both.

But, let's be honest. Stewart's been *done* with playing Picard since Nemesis, and it's known that he only made that movie for the paycheck and the opportunity to drive dune buggies on the studio's dime.

I don't think even McKellen, or anyone else could fix it. The problem is that Stewart does not *get* Picard as a character at all, and will not take any directions from anyone on his portrayal that is the fight&gently caress grandpa-android. So any new director or showrunner who tries to make PatStew "make Picard TNG again" gets kicked out faster than a group of fast food workers trying to unionize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

A Sometimes Food posted:

I always kinda assumed the Klingons and Romulans wiped out or are still occupying their closest neighbours honestly and Bajor was special due to being on the border and able to break free whereas the poor schmucks one system away from Qonos have no chance.

"33" is one of the best sci Fi episodes ever made.