Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Okay it occurred to me that I make short grain rice and I cook it longer because the rice mode on IP made short grain feel undercooked

Some people like their rice soft, some with a tiny bit of bite in it. You do you.

That's also why I was really interested in the top of the line Zoji models that let you constantly give feedback to how the rice came out. Although that feature is certainly overkill and not really needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Anyone got a favorite pepper mill?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

kreeningsons posted:

Unicorn by the stove & Peugeot on the table is the ideal. Just get a Unicorn when they're in stock.

mystes
May 31, 2006

personally I just use a generic pepper mill as long as I just need a little pepper and if I need a lot of pepper I use my electric spice grinder (blade coffee grinder)

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
CrushGrind Kyoto for the table as something that looks a bit more modern than the Peugeot grinders and I've completely switched to an old manual coffee grinder for the kitchen. The coffee grinder allows you to get both small and large amounts of pepper with minimal effort with a very consistent grind size.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Eezee posted:

CrushGrind Kyoto

:eyepop:
Damnit, if I didn’t already have multiple pepper grinders I’d buy one

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Kitchen Aid stand mixer pasta (specifically rollers and cutters) attachments: I see there are a bajillion random brands that seem indistinguishable from each other. Are the name-brand KA attachments worth the up charge?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

kreeningsons posted:

Sur La Table ratchet mill

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

Peugeot on the table

drat these are slick as hell. This would work well to soften how modern the rest of my dining set it.

https://www.swissknifeshop.com/products/peugeot-bistro-4-black-pepper-mill-and-white-salt-mill-set

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Sextro posted:

Kitchen Aid stand mixer pasta (specifically rollers and cutters) attachments: I see there are a bajillion random brands that seem indistinguishable from each other. Are the name-brand KA attachments worth the up charge?
If the random brands look like drop-shippers, flee. Things like dough hooks take a lot of force and need to be made of quality metal. If you want cheaper Kitchenaid accessories, look on Ebay; it's pretty easy to weed out the real stuff as long as the packaging's intact.

e: Does anybody have good ideas on how to clean out the grooves on a Peugeot? We've had ours 40 years, and it shows.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arsenic Lupin posted:

e: Does anybody have good ideas on how to clean out the grooves on a Peugeot? We've had ours 40 years, and it shows.

patina, baby!

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Does anybody have good ideas on how to clean out the grooves on a Peugeot? We've had ours 40 years, and it shows.

The knurling on the little knob on top? Dish soap, a stiff brush, and an ultrasonic parts cleaner.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If the random brands look like drop-shippers, flee. Things like dough hooks take a lot of force and need to be made of quality metal. If you want cheaper Kitchenaid accessories, look on Ebay; it's pretty easy to weed out the real stuff as long as the packaging's intact.

They aren't drop shippers but rather Chinese brands. I've bought from one of the brands previously, Gvode, and have had good success with their meat grinder attachment. Unlike the meat grinders, I can't find anyone comparing the name brand stuff to these 3rd party models.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 19, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

kreeningsons posted:

The knurling on the little knob on top? Dish soap, a stiff brush, and an ultrasonic parts cleaner.

No, the grooves on the side of the wood, where the lathing is tightest.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

No, the grooves on the side of the wood, where the lathing is tightest.

Empty it out and take it apart, use dish soap, let it thoroughly dry before you put it back together. Good chance to get buildup off the burrs as well. If you can’t shift 40 years of grime with dish soap, some rubbing alcohol on a clean cloth will almost certainly do the trick.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I got the 8" Fletchers' pepper mill based on this shootout from Serious Eats and I've been very happy with it.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I have a Puegeot adjustable grinder (googling seems to suggest it might be something like the Peugeot Paris u'Select Manual) and it's lasted me very many years with no problem. Although I hear there are a lot of knockoff/fakes now across the internet

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Fists Up posted:

I have a Puegeot adjustable grinder (googling seems to suggest it might be something like the Peugeot Paris u'Select Manual) and it's lasted me very many years with no problem. Although I hear there are a lot of knockoff/fakes now across the internet

I have the same one and it's done very well, with the exception that the black ring on the brass nut at the top is kinda coming off so it can take a second to discern it from the matching salt grinder (with white ring).

e: even my cat can't tell the goddamn difference sometimes and the brunches she prepares end up overseasoned as a result.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 20, 2023

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty sure the paint has rubbed off those top rings very quickly on every single one I've had. My salt grinder looks completely different though so it's never an issue.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

oh rly posted:

I bought a 20" purpleheart French rolling pin off Etsy recently. The purple red color is nice.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1004242392/french-rolling-pin-wooden-rolling-pin

I bought one of these for a friend and it's impressive how nice it is at that price point.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm looking to upgrade my built-in (30") cooktop to induction. They range from like $900 to several grand. Other than matching the opening measurement and making sure I don't hate the burner configuration, what should I be looking for? What makes one better than another?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
This is a cooktop divorced from an oven, yeah?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Correct, countertop built-in with easily accessed wiring beneath

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I don’t remember the wattage that you’re looking for off the top of my head, but look at the specs on the burners. Just make sure that that wattages on the one you’ve got picked out are not below most of the others on the market. Some come with one extra wattage burner for boiling big pots.

Then search for reviews and make sure there aren’t a ton of people complaining about whining/humming. A few are always going to be there due to some specific cookware not liking specific induction burners, but some burners have turned out to have it much more prevalent.

Bosch is pretty much the gold standard IIRC.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Call around for a appliance store where they're actually installed. Check that it doesn't whine for your family when heating. That's the #1 issue with induction tops, and they can be right at the threshold of your ability to hear.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
I've used an induction burner at work way back when, but I've never done a side-by-side comparison with resistance coils. What's it like?

I've got lovely electric coil elements and most of my cookware has either a cast iron or stainless bottom. Is it worth getting a cheap induction hob to try out?

RevDrMikey
Nov 16, 2023

Fists Up posted:

Peugeot and Unicorn have been top of the pile for a long time.

Unicorn is badass and reliable. While the refill is not as easy as some, people vastly overplay the potential for accidentally opening the mechanism mid-grind. Not instantly adjustable, but for a coarse cooking grind, who cares. And the storage is huge so how often do you refill it anyway.

Peugeot is beautiful. But I had a bad habit of holding it by the adjustment ring which inevitably snapped. Adjust it once, then grip it by the barrel. So a Peugeot with adjustment really is the perfect grinder for the table. Having the ability to instantly dial it to the "dust" setting for omelettes was lovely.

Steve Yun posted:

Okay hear me out. The rice function sucks on IP

Instead of using the rice function, do manual high pressure cook for 10 mins

Lots of people have bad opinions about rice. Especially people who grew up with improperly cooked rice so they think it should have a bite like cheap grits. Zojis are truly worth it for anyone who knows rice. But the point about IP being good for quick brown rice is spot on. A zoji takes forever because it's making perfect brown rice, while a pressure cooker gets most of the way quickly. If I'm in a pinch for quick rice it's regular pot for white or IP for brown. Otherwise throw the rice in the Zoji two hours ahead.

It's not just that the Zoji makes truly perfect rice (dial the water up or down a bit for texture). It's that it holds it safely forever. It'll even start on a timer and just presoak your rice while you're at work so it's ready when you get home if you want.

Brother Tadger posted:

Vitamix recipes

Top of the pile for most people is blending whole fruit (pieces) from frozen. The Vitamix site will have a sorbet recipe that's amazing, and when you put booze in a sorbet hey look strawberry daiquri. And make smoothies from whole fruit. Protein junkies, it'll blitz a whole banana and ice into a professional-quality smoothie.

The party piece is soup. Toss in some onions and whatever. Set it on high until it's steaming ~10min. It's totally impractical and stupid. But it's fun.

In the camp of people who don't need a Vitamix, just in case it hasn't been mentioned recently - Vitamix is way too powerful for things like salsa. If you mostly make salsa, food processors or bullets are great. Everyone who has a Vitamix probably also has a food processor.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

HolHorsejob posted:

I've used an induction burner at work way back when, but I've never done a side-by-side comparison with resistance coils. What's it like?

I've got lovely electric coil elements and most of my cookware has either a cast iron or stainless bottom. Is it worth getting a cheap induction hob to try out?

Instant response time with induction. I can boil a pot of water in 2-3 minutes with the lid on. I can then turn it from “power” (highest boil setting) to a 3 out of 10 and instantly just have no boil at all.

With electric, there’s long lead times as you’re aware.

Also with electric, once you’ve used it, it generally stays hot for a while. With induction, I can safely put my hand on the burner after it’s off (for normal cooks. If I had a rolling boil going for a while it will take a minute to cool down enough).

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I have an AEG induction hob and it's frankly incredible. Mine was mid price, nothing fancy well below the price there. But it boils things incredibly quickly, very consistent for my pressure cooker. I can blast it up to 14 and make my wok insanely hot. I'm a. Complete convert to induction

Edit : looked it up and it was £400

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 28, 2023

flappin fish
Jul 4, 2005

alnilam posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my built-in (30") cooktop to induction. They range from like $900 to several grand. Other than matching the opening measurement and making sure I don't hate the burner configuration, what should I be looking for? What makes one better than another?

You mentioned the burner configuration, but I'd also look at the control configuration - I don't like cooktops that have one shared control for all the burners (like this one) and prefer having a separate control for each burner (like this). It's annoying to adjust temperatures if you have to hit a button to select the burner, then set the temp.

Could also check both the maximum and minimum pan size on the burners. Rectangular burners are sort of nice to have, but unless you want to cook directly in a roasting pan or on a griddle, don't make much difference imo.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Touch controls on a stove top seem like a war crime.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Yeah one thing I'm struggling with looking for induction stoves is they're almost all touch control, probably because they're considered high end but ugh

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

:hai:

mystes
May 31, 2006

My air fryer has capacitive touch buttons and they suck, especially since they don't work at all if your fingers are wet or greasy. I would definitely not want that on a stovetop.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's probably my one and only complaint about our Bosch induction, but I can kinda see what they were going for. Move the controls towards you so you're not reaching over hot stuff, but not be in the way like knobs would be. I'm sure it's easier to manufacture as well. The way I look at it is that it's so responsive, taking an extra few seconds to adjust isn't the end of the world. I do wish they had physical controls, though.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I recently remodeled my kitchen and switched from lovely radiant electric stove to induction. I wanted physical knobs for the range controls and not a touch screen. There's like, only two models available that were even remotely in my price range. One was $1600 and the other was $3400. There's nothing in between, it's stupid. The $1600 model is a Samsung which everyone says is terrible but I figure I can go through two of them and still be saving money over the $3400 GE.

I've had the Samsung a couple months now and it's wonderful. Highly recommended if you need a 30" slide-in single oven range. There is still a touch screen for the oven controls which is somewhat annoying to use, so I'm really glad I went with physical knobs for the stove top.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Any know of a good induction pan set/brand?. Saw these on sale, but the whole detachable handle thing is a miss according to reviews.

https://home.woot.com/offers/t-fal-t-fal-ingenio-nonstick-cookware-set-14-p?ref=w_cnt_wp_0_19

I have a T-fal skillet that has the raised center, which I'm not a fan of. Plus at 12.5", a little larger than I need for daily use.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Any decent cast iron, carbon steel, or tri-ply stainless will work well on induction. Lodge (cast iron, carbon steel) and tramontina (tri-ply) are good affordable brands. There are still no good options for non-stick induction cookware apart from overpaying for tri-ply nonstick that still won’t last more than two years, so your best bet is to get the cheapest 8” or 10” pan you can find and switch to cast iron or stainless steel for everything but eggs.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I spent 2 weeks staying with my folks after my dad had a stroke, as pretty much the dedicated food provider, and I loved the Bosch induction range they put in with their remodel last year.

I honestly really like the touch controls. First, it goes from 0-10 in .5 increments along a bar, no just going up and down. I can just press 3.5 and it’s there. This is actually great, because I learned the exact temp I wanted for specific things, like, 3.5 is the perfect temp for scrambling eggs, 7 is a full simmer on a pot of stock, etc… no dialing it in by changing and waiting.

Secondly, it’s perfectly flat, so it’s insanely easy to clean. Big flat glass tops look crazy dirty after just like, frying an egg. With no knobs to take off and clean, then clean around the knob hole/post, it’s just 10 seconds to spray and wipe to get it to looking showroom clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I upgraded to an LG LSIL6336F when we redid our kitchen this year and I'm absolutely enamored. The cooktop itself has physical knobs on the front of the range, and the oven is touch control with a number pad and whatnot but that's pretty much how all my stoves have been since forever. The only thing I've had to get used to is that one of the knobs on the front is what's used to select bake/roast/convection/etc instead of pressing a button but I got over that pretty quickly.

Induction cooking kicks major rear end, and the oven performs beautifully; nearly everything I've cooked has finished cooking on the lower end of given time estimates in a recipe, it preheats quickly (and runs the fan while doing so even if it's just on bake setting so it's even preheating), and the included probe thermometer that plugs into a socket inside the oven worked a treat on the leg of lamb I cooked to midrare.

My one complaint is that the air fry setting isn't nearly as "violent convection" as a dedicated air fryer is, but it does...okay. Luckily, I already had a dedicated air fryer before I got it so the feature is somewhat wasted on me.