Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Ten manhunting shorthairs against ten attack yorkies, who would win?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Our nutrient paste stores

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ms Adequate posted:

One of my best shooters was out hunting and got got by basically the most dangerous possible foe for someone with a comparatively slow firing rifle: Ten manhunter British Shorthair Cats. She had no hope of outrunning them and although she managed to plink down five or six before contact, they were just too small even for her real solid accuracy to prevail.

Turns out four cats can tear an adult human to shreds in a couple of seconds if they put their minds to it. We have four cats irl so this is concerning to me.

One of them even survived to make contact with the backup pawn who showed up first and the resultant infection in his head got to 99% before immunity.

Goddamn cats
She probably tried to scritch one of their tummies.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Lysidas posted:

Does anyone know of a mod that separates construction work into two jobs: one for constructing things that have quality levels like furniture, and one job for things that don't, like walls, production buildings, and such? (I guess smoothing walls and floors would be in the second category too.)

I have a pawn with double passion in construction but 0 skill and I'd rather they get some experience on stuff that doesn't matter, without throwing away resources building and deconstructing things.

I looked through the workshop at some of the job mods but didn't see anything like this, which makes me think it's non-trivial to do.

This is from several pages back now, but thanks for all of the replies to this. The "Improve This" mod is exactly what I didn't know I wanted.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
had 2 of my pawns have a very public affair and breakup during a party. the lady left her pessimistic husband for the beautiful pawn with a love enhancer. Hey, I get it

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Was browsing my steam profile and noticed this

:911:

I know that others probably have a lot more hours but drat that's a lot in 1 game, the next closest is EU4 at 760

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The archonexus quest only let me take the one nano structuring chip :negative: and also I have to re-unlock researching mechtech which seems obvious in hindsight, but still.

I also Deeply hosed up the planetary market (Vanilla Trading Expanded) right now you can get a heart for 200 silver, but a normal component costs over a thousand. Plasteel is also off the charts, whoops!

I also didn't realize the new map thing would mean there's an undestroyable archotech structure constantly giving people bad vibes when they're nearby :geno: I just wanted a new game+ basically so I just dev moded it out

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
See when I play I leave it running in normal speed and do other poo poo at the same time, periodically check in. Usually it isn't a problem and auto pauses if anything critical occurs. I think it was someone itt mentioned doing this.

V relaxed and only needs intervention for stuff like the first drop in, maybe doing missions, accidental chance of getting murdered by environment damage or something stupid, that kinda thing.

I still keep trying to do my dumb global warming challenge of cranking the heat to max and you super really gotta be sure you have that first few days locked down and get some serious temp control. Plus depending on season it still can freeze over even in rainforest.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Noooo Johnny :qq: My perennially happy chef who never once had a mental break and cranked out crazy amounts of food... my beautiful boy... got One-Punch Manned :rip:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

QuarkJets posted:

Was browsing my steam profile and noticed this

:911:

I know that others probably have a lot more hours but drat that's a lot in 1 game, the next closest is EU4 at 760

lol noob

and I have actually finished the game like, two times (archonexus "ending" which tbh barely counts, and one Royalty shuttle evacuation ending)

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Ms Adequate posted:

One of my best shooters was out hunting and got got by basically the most dangerous possible foe for someone with a comparatively slow firing rifle: Ten manhunter British Shorthair Cats. She had no hope of outrunning them and although she managed to plink down five or six before contact, they were just too small even for her real solid accuracy to prevail.

Turns out four cats can tear an adult human to shreds in a couple of seconds if they put their minds to it. We have four cats irl so this is concerning to me.

One of them even survived to make contact with the backup pawn who showed up first and the resultant infection in his head got to 99% before immunity.

Goddamn cats

Anyone who played D&D 3.5 probably knows that a standard housecat can kill a level 1 commoner like 75% of the time in a fight, this checks out.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Archenteron posted:

Anyone who played D&D 3.5 probably knows that a standard housecat can kill a level 1 commoner like 75% of the time in a fight, this checks out.

God drat why is that factoid a thing I always remember.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Flesh Forge posted:

lol noob

and I have actually finished the game like, two times (archonexus "ending" which tbh barely counts, and one Royalty shuttle evacuation ending)

gently caress me dead :staredog: Mad respect

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I've got about half that time and I think I did the ship ending once, although it might have just been to get the JT drive for SOS2 and go to a different planet it's been years

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Flesh Forge posted:

lol noob

341 days of game time is obscene.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
poo poo for a while I was playing the game while doing my job. Strong proponent of multi tasking this thing.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You may kiss my pinky toe

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Demon Of The Fall posted:

had 2 of my pawns have a very public affair and breakup during a party. the lady left her pessimistic husband for the beautiful pawn with a love enhancer. Hey, I get it

I had a long-running colony of deathless, non-senescent immortals with the unlimited spouses and open marriage/sex precepts, mainly so that I could save up on double beds and get the got some lovin' moodlet on as many colonists as possible. It worked out well until a few decades into it, they would get fed up with each other's poo poo, divorce, move onto the next person, and then repeat the cycle. Everyone eventually ended up hating each other due to having the divorced by relationship penalty with everyone else.

I don't know if this is a warning of the perils of immortality, an indictment of polygamy, a cynical outlook on the shelf-life of marriage, or something else.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

I had 5 uber chromed out colonists, each worth at least 100k each, breezed though the archonexus quest after I got them chromed up.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
so I read here recently that rim war will tank your TPS, so I think I'm gonna try a game without it - is there a decent equivalent mod that'll let me ambush enemy caravans on the road and let factions spread? the poo poo moving around the planet, the caravans forming new bases and stuff, was the big appeal of RimWar - but I'd be okay with a mod that abstracted it away instead of tracking 100+ NPC caravans constantly

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

death cob for cutie posted:

so I read here recently that rim war will tank your TPS, so I think I'm gonna try a game without it - is there a decent equivalent mod that'll let me ambush enemy caravans on the road and let factions spread? the poo poo moving around the planet, the caravans forming new bases and stuff, was the big appeal of RimWar - but I'd be okay with a mod that abstracted it away instead of tracking 100+ NPC caravans constantly

Dynamic Diplomacy is the best 'abstract' Rim War I'm aware of: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1875168898, it's pretty much totally event-based so the TPS overhead is much lower. There's an option that lets faction battles actually get played, but I haven't tried it.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
I haven't played RimWorld in about a month. Something must have changed in one of my mods because my mountain base is all of a sudden about -20C inside and all of my colonists are getting hypothermia. I have a freezer set to -10 and a few wall freezers to more easily transfer meat and meals to and from the kitchen set to -5C. Outside is 27C. I have no clue why the inside of my mountain is all of a sudden freezing and it's kind of hilarious.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I just started playing this game and I think it’s going to create problems in my life.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
-20 seems like a crazy waste for a mountain, i kept all my stuff at like -1 or -6 if it was a stable area, or less if I wanted thermal bleed to help cool the rest of the base. I don't think I've gone down that low basically ever.

That, and stuff like roofing over some valley or big ruins to keep the heat in from the generators (boiler room) is the most sophisticated temp management I had tho.

Hell, once I had a base where the fridge was was supposed to pump heat to help warm the living space. This did not at all work in any way. Just couldn't figure it out. It'd stay warmer inside the fridge than in the unconditioned area no matter what, even if it was like -40, with only 4 walls touching the warm part of the base. This would force it to constantly run the freezer at all times max power???

isndl
May 2, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Hell, once I had a base where the fridge was was supposed to pump heat to help warm the living space. This did not at all work in any way. Just couldn't figure it out. It'd stay warmer inside the fridge than in the unconditioned area no matter what, even if it was like -40, with only 4 walls touching the warm part of the base. This would force it to constantly run the freezer at all times max power???

Don't keep fire wasp eggs in your freezer!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

mega dy posted:

I just started playing this game and I think it’s going to create problems in my life.

These things solve themselves, you won't have any life so you won't have any problems :shrug:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

isndl posted:

Don't keep fire wasp eggs in your freezer!

Completely vanilla. I was pretty confused

The situation was a version before the good shelves dropped
5x5 fridge in a cold biome that rarely got to like 15c
Still above freezing, so could rot in summer
Thin/built roof, 1x thick walls
Door next to cooler, cold side pointed into fridge, hot side into kitchen

It just never got that cold in there. The cooler perpetually ran max power which sucked poo poo when I was trying to keep the place warm, and it would be barely chugging in there while the outside was insanely cold. I think I ended up shutting it off and using vents most of the year, and had to remember to close the vents and turn the cooler on.

I have no idea how temps are modeled but I dunno that it's pumping heat around

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

mega dy posted:

:getin: You really, really want the No Forced Slowdown mod; otherwise, every time something attacks, the UI slows down to its slowest speed *and won't let you switch back*. All the rest you can accumulate over time.

isndl
May 2, 2012

It just never got that cold in there. The cooler perpetually ran max power which sucked poo poo when I was trying to keep the place warm, and it would be barely chugging in there while the outside was insanely cold. I think I ended up shutting it off and using vents most of the year, and had to remember to close the vents and turn the cooler on.

In my experience, a single cooler can maintain a temperature, but it'll do a poor job of quickly moving a room to the target. Two coolers is my standard. For larger freezers or hot biomes I'll even add a third unit (but usually won't need a fourth because the freezer is honestly too big at that point). More coolers also gives you redundancy when one breaks down and gets you back on target faster after a solar flare knocks everything out for a day.

5x5 is pretty small though so a single unit should have been able to manage that even with single walls and thin roofs; I would have to see a screenshot to diagnose it. You weren't lighting it with a torch, right?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
5x5, like -40 outside, the cooler was at maybe -11? -6? (Whatever like one or two minus clicks from default is), and it was at full on max power use struggling to keep the food from getting all hosed up.

I wanna say this was tundra and keeping the meat frosty but the people warm was a pretty big deal so that's why I was hoping to two birds one stone it. I don't even think I had it lit at all. It was that early phase before having even 5 people. One of my early guys got killed by a bear real early I think.

Honestly it was almost like it started pumping backwards instead of shutting off, I sure as poo poo don't know. Manually switching the vents was cheaper in the long run anyway I guess.

The whole thing was a long rear end time ago but I remember that, wedging ourselves into this weird sorta ruins thing, solar lamp fields for caribou, and wondering if there would be a way to get resurrection serum for the dead guy who I buried in a claimed sarcophagus. It was almost always frozen but not 100%, hence the fridge.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Honestly it was almost like it started pumping backwards instead of shutting off, I sure as poo poo don't know. Manually switching the vents was cheaper in the long run anyway I guess.

This may be an obvious question but did you, in fact, install the thing the wrong way around? I've done that on occasion and it can be a surprisingly tricky thing to spot if you're not looking for it.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

-20 seems like a crazy waste for a mountain, i kept all my stuff at like -1 or -6 if it was a stable area, or less if I wanted thermal bleed to help cool the rest of the base. I don't think I've gone down that low basically ever.

That, and stuff like roofing over some valley or big ruins to keep the heat in from the generators (boiler room) is the most sophisticated temp management I had tho.

You misunderstand. It was at a cozy temp for everyone last time I played. For some reason I can't figure out, the base is significantly colder than my freezer and I'm having to build heaters to keep everyone from losing fingers and toes while they sleep. Something in one of my mods is chilling the whole place and I can't figure out what!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Ms Adequate posted:

This may be an obvious question but did you, in fact, install the thing the wrong way around? I've done that on occasion and it can be a surprisingly tricky thing to spot if you're not looking for it.

thought i did :shrug:
basically any time i remember trying to get something like this to work it seemed to fail, maybe it was just me? Building a central room that had all my generators and venting it to the main hall worked to add heat to the base. Building "chimneys" of 4 coolers with their hotspots on the same tile and walls in their corners worked to cool large areas. Doing a central fridge that has its hotspots directly outside seemed to help cool down the base at least a little. Trying to put the hotspot inside a room that was next to the fridge didn't work well.

Xenix posted:

You misunderstand. It was at a cozy temp for everyone last time I played. For some reason I can't figure out, the base is significantly colder than my freezer and I'm having to build heaters to keep everyone from losing fingers and toes while they sleep. Something in one of my mods is chilling the whole place and I can't figure out what!

d'oh misread i thought you had the fridge also set to that low and it somehow went hog wild across the whole base as a bug too.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

How hot was it outside? You may need multiple coolers to freeze your freezer. Is the kitchen getting hot? Is the hot side of the cooler blocked?

A door with no airlock and 1 walls are factors too. If you take a screenshot of your setup people itt can probably help. It's worth looking at the roof overlay to be sure that the entire room is covered. Smaller rooms are also not great for cooling/heating distribution, it's better to dump that heat into a big hallway

Rimworld uses a simple temperature relaxation model. A room is all 1 uniform temperature. Adjacent rooms that are warmer will be increasing the temperature of the room. Double walls slow down the process. Open doors and open vents speed up the process.

Heaters increase the temperature of a space, coolers try to transfer temperature from one room to another. A geothermal power generator in an indoor space is equivalent to 1 heater. Wood and chemfuel generators are equivalent to 1 heater too, I think

Outside is like 1 massive room with a temperature that the game sets. Anything that is outside is that temperature. The roof of a room is usually like an outer wall, in that the temperature outside is effecting the temperature inside via the roof.

The old "use heat from my freezer to warm up my base" trick works nicely on cold maps, but on colder days the coolers are going to run less. That's not ideal. For this reason, you still need heaters to help regulate the temperature. The heat from the coolers will save you some power, so it's still a nice design.

Depending on a lot of things, it's pretty normal to need more than 1 cooler to create an effective freezer. But it's always good to plan on having double walls and an airlock, e.g. if you use wooden doors then plan on having the entrance really be a short hallway between 2 wooden doors so that 1 door closes before the other door opens. And don't forget to set the temperature on all of the coolers.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Xenix posted:

Do you use Alpha Genes?
I think it has a gene that chills down the room the pawn is in to -20*C or something. Someone with the randomizer gene might get it, or it has been added to some pawns.
Might also have been another mod, I can't remember at this point.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Speaking of cold temperatures, I am now 100% convinced that Randy deliberately waits for me to plant Devilstrand and have it grow to about 50% before triggering cold snaps. Every goddamn time I play this game, I try to grow a crop of devilstrand, and boom, Cold Snap to kill all my plants.

This time, I decide not to bother getting devilstrand gear in favour of focusing on other stuff, and what do you know, three years on this goddamn planet and not one cold snap.

Random my rear end, Randy! :argh:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Enclose that poo poo, put a roof over em! Tell Randy to gently caress himself!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ask me about my tribalism game where we were focused on meditating at the anima tree, but on a pyroclastic conflagration, before I realized that you can only grow anima grass when the temperature outside isn't heat-stroke hot. I had to rig up an enclosure around the tree, with roof tiles opened around the tree itself, and then dump a ton of passive coolers into the room just to keep it bearable for the tree itself. drat thing didn't even finish fully sprouting on the map until I did this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Dunno-Lars posted:

Do you use Alpha Genes?
I think it has a gene that chills down the room the pawn is in to -20*C or something. Someone with the randomizer gene might get it, or it has been added to some pawns.
Might also have been another mod, I can't remember at this point.

No alpha genes, but I do have alpha animals.