Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Khanstant posted:

I've been reading it as Gur-gee hard g. Do they ever explain the naming nomenclature of people? I can accept that it's just how they are, all having long rear end names of many parts, but I suspect maybe the names indicate more information than just a designation for an individual? I don't think I've yet learned how The Culture reproduces, unless the Changer mentioned it dismissively at some point.

In the epilogue to Consider Phlebas they talk about pretty human standard biological reproduction. Presumably that's with some pretty impressive assisting technology but it seemed like not a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Khanstant posted:

I don't think I've yet learned how The Culture reproduces, unless the Changer mentioned it dismissively at some point.
Excession has some info on Culture concepts of gender and family, and is a top-three Culture book to boot.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh I'm definitely gonna read em all. I always knew I'd like em since the first time someone squawked "the culture" at me when wishing for a better future sci-fi civ that was basically them.

The non-ship names are total gobbledegook and there was a moment in the beginning that was really setting off my "too many gibberish meaningless but presumably important nouns, names, and titles"

quote:

The Jinmoti of Bozlen Two kill the hereditary ritual assassins of the new Yearking’s immediate family by drowning them in the tears of the Continental Empathaur in its Sadness Season

It ends up being a cute/tragic connection between two characters and is just that character's own fiction, which I can appreciate. Seeing someone in this fictional world making their fictional world is interesting but for a quite a while I kept thinking the Jinmoti, Bozlen Two, hereditary ritual assassins, the yearking, and the crying dinosaur were going to show up again. I think it pays off and to be fair, he does preface that sentence internally by saying it's pointless and he doesn't know why he's even thinking of it.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Khanstant posted:

I've been reading it as Gur-gee hard g. Do they ever explain the naming nomenclature of people? I can accept that it's just how they are, all having long rear end names of many parts, but I suspect maybe the names indicate more information than just a designation for an individual? I don't think I've yet learned how The Culture reproduces, unless the Changer mentioned it dismissively at some point.

It's their address. I think it might be a joke about 'form of address' and 'location of residence'?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Culture names often include maternal parent ("dam") and physical address, yeah. No idea if this changes when you move or if stays as your point of origin, but knowing the Culture it's probably dependent on personal choice and current fashion.

Edit: Some searching suggests it's "place of origin" rather than address.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Dec 26, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

quote:

An example would be Diziet Sma, whose full name is Rasd-Coduresa Diziet Embless Sma da' Marenhide:

• Rasd-Coduresa is the planetary system of her birth, and the specific object (planet, orbital, Dyson sphere, etc.). The -sa suffix is roughly equivalent to -er in English. By this convention, Earth humans would all be named Sun-Earthsa (or Sun-Earther).
  • Diziet is her given name. This is chosen by a parent, usually the mother.
  • Embless is her chosen name. Most Culture citizens choose this when they reach adulthood (according to The Player of Games this is known as "completing one's name"). As with all conventions in the Culture, it may be broken or ignored: some change their chosen name during their lives, some never take one.
  • Sma is her surname, usually taken from one's mother.
  • da' Marenhide is the house or estate she was raised within, the da' or dam being similar to von in German. (The usual formation is dam; da' is used in Sma's name because the house name begins with an M, eliding an awkward phoneme repetition.)

Iain Banks gave his own Culture name as "Sun-Earther Iain El-Bonko Banks of North Queensferry"

I'd do my own name as another example but that'd doxx me.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Dec 26, 2023

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I was always surprised that he went for "Sun-Earther" and not "Sol-Terrasa"

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I was always surprised that he went for "Sun-Earther" and not "Sol-Terrasa"

In a different interview he did! I liked it enough to use it.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Hot take: books about Utopia aren’t interesting, Iain knows this, so most references to Culture culture are lampooning it as meaningless in the context of the plot. (That’s why the books—especially the earlier ones—never really take place in the Culture, instead on its fringes and interactions with non-Culture).

The long flowery names are part of this. You get the sense that there’s an immense and deep social universe in the Culture which is entirely uninterested in the goings on of Contact and especially Special Circumstances, and only the worst of the worst grognards care about its equivalent of the state department and CIA.

Later in the series you do get more actual-Culture involvement, but early on it’s best to read it as disinterested, effete, and completely up its own rear end in a way we can’t engage with as readers.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's really a clever way to approach a utopia without it being boring. Can't remember if Ive ever read a book with a protagonist that has me rooting against them in a sense, where the poo poo talking he does turn into unintended praise.

I guess the Left Behind books towards the end I was rooting for the anti-christ's team but they were bad books with several main characters I did not like, but they weren't like Horza, the authors are just no bueno.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Weird, so far Player of Games hasn't had a chapter break. I'm about a third way through and it suddenly has one... And I think it's the author addressing me directly to explain which pronouns he will be using to discuss the triple sexed aliens incoming. Then it recaps the story briefly before starting the story again.

Does this sort of thing happen often in these books or is it something special about Player of Games I'll find out eventually I guess don't answer me at all I'm just thoughtposting

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Only through further azad of Azad will the azad of the Azad become clear.

It’s also important that you gland something to put yourself in the same k-hole as Gurgeh.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Does this sort of thing happen often in these books or is it something special about Player of Games I'll find out eventually I guess don't answer me at all I'm just thoughtposting
"Use of Weapons" uses an alternating chapter gimmick where two parallel storylines occur from a mutual start point. One progresses the plot further, the other counts backwards revealing more of the lead character's history. When we finally reach the terminus of the past plot, we have the context for the forward-moving plot.

I think Excession does something similar, can't recall.

Surface Detail has alternating narrative POVs but no chapter gimmick iirc. Matter does alternate POV but again, no real gimmick. Inversions has two alternate storylines that don't intersect but it is strongly implied that the protagonist of each know each other.

Hydrogen Sonata is about as straight-shot as these things get.

Haven't read Look to Windward yet.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Look to windward has two parallel timelines for the protagonist, one tracking his history and one tracking his present

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It reminded me of Princess Bride interludes of Grandpa and kid commenting on things, or some other storybook narrator. I look forward to the other narrative structures. I also realized yesterday these books aren't a sequential series, I thought I was on book 2 for some reason but you just read em however.

Re: Player of Games, dudes learning the ropes on the ships still and for a moment I was starting to get excited there was maybe some board game version of this game , but nah, between the absurd complexities, the little vegetable meat golems are the exactly sort of thing nobody seems to be able to make for board games these days, let alone ones you can sniff to ascertain unit stats or motivation.

Prediction: Marwen-Skrel is totally showing up on Ea (sorry names wrong don't wanna Google to correct for fear of spoilers or lose my place to scroll) somehow, maybe fully disguised as a humanoid contestant and they gotta fight so he can overcome his poo poo experience with that jerkass.

Though the way he was able to blackmail him was so good and sneaky and I legit wasn't expecting it. Bad boy orb geez breaking all the not-rules.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Yeah, the game of Azad is meant to represent the complexities, hierarchies, and ideals of their society. Sadly there won’t be any “real” versions of it we can play. This is the same problem Iain has when talking about ships/minds, he can’t go into any deep detail without being more clever than the thing he wants to describe. (Larry Niven always had the same problem writing anything with the character Brennan-Pak for the same reason, if anyone gets that reference).

Anyway stay away from spoilers and keep going. Banks almost always has a good gut punch at the end of each story.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
My headcanon is that Azad is a complex RTS, something like Starcraft 2. I haven't read it in a while but I remember thinking there were elements described by Banks that made me think of an RTS, so I always imagined it like high-skill SC2 in multiple dimensions, or TA/SupCom, or something like that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah for ease of familiarity I'm mostly imagining a set of ludicrously large and detailed RTS or Warhammer / DnD landscapes, but that can be terra formed and each hex potentially layered with things in each level, kind of picturing the price golems as solid star wars holochess pieces, with complex Civilization type politicking, with Risk or MtG commander type shenanigans. It's the unexplainable stuff aim just treating like I do real life board games with my ADHD rear end brain, where I kind of stop absorbing it under the assumption I'll pick it up as I go along and get sideswiped by poo poo I wasn't thinking about yet.

I like the way he handles the too-advanced stuff without it just feeling like straight soft magic. It's like a reverse Lovecraft, none of the bigotry and hatred and willfully fearful, it's a positive optimistic approach to what is unknown or unknowable, a humbleness or acceptance of the limitations of a given body or entity and its potential relation to others.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Azad is a 1979 Breakout clone, this is canon.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Banks was obviously very familiar with Risk, since The Steep Approach to Garbadale is about a dynasty that's built its fortune on what is clearly meant to be a legally distinct version of the game. So there's a lot of that kind of grand-strategy DNA in Azad.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

He was addicted to civ 1 back in the day

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

sebmojo posted:

He was addicted to civ 1 back in the day

That also makes a lot of sense.

Fun fact; Civilisation (the computer game) is inspired by a board game of the same name, which is focused on the Mediterranean.

Later, there was a board game based on the computer game, making it a board game based on a computer game based on a board game.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I have both! There's an even newer one based on Civ 6 that I don't have though.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Complicity has an even more direct Civ reference

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I was less impressed with Damages. Maybe I'm just a prude but I'm just never going to want to play a game where I have to wager unfortunately people's lives just to play a horrible gambling game where people will gently caress with my head directly and literally.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Damage was a sort of high tech blood sport, it's not from the same root as Azad or the other Civ knockoffs

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

While at the same time excising those traits by showing him where they ultimately lead, and thus making him into a better Culture citizen.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but doesnt the drone Chamlis also excise Gurgeh by launching him into a star in the epilogue?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Votskomit posted:

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but doesnt the drone Chamlis also excise Gurgeh by launching him into a star in the epilogue?

You are definitely remembering wrong lol

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Votskomit posted:

Uh

No.

With the caveat that what you describe is a common funeral practice in the Culture, so.. ultimately I guess?

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

While at the same time excising those traits by showing him where they ultimately lead, and thus making him into a better Culture citizen.
(Khanstant do not read this)

I read the book as saying that Azad is an authoritarian empire which devotes all their energy to refining their power and authority to greater heights, but that the Culture is even more authoritarian (albeit through soft power and deceit) and even more likely to exert their will and influence on others than Azad can ever be.

Remember that one year before this Banks had written the first Culture book told from the point of view of someone crushed by it, and in this book he’s refining the argument that the Culture is a deceitful and malicious entity. He moves somewhat away from this later.

The reader is supposed to think that the title refers to Gurgeh until the epilogue, when it’s revealed that the Culture are the Player and Gurgeh is a bio-engineered game piece.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Authoritarian isn't the right word I think, because people can and do leave the Culture - whole ships even!

But broadly I agree.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

sebmojo posted:

You are definitely remembering wrong lol

I looked it up. It's the last page and I misunderstood the intention. Gurgeh was indeed killed and sent into the sun. But it was by choice, when I initially thought the drone was implying otherwise.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Authoritarian isn't the right word I think, because people can and do leave the Culture - whole ships even!

But broadly I agree.
Recursion is a huge theme across all of the Culture books and that extends to exploring how malicious, authoritarian, or plain inevitable the Culture actually is -- Player of Games makes this most explicit but when you look at the VR worlds in Surface Detail, the Gzilt secret in Hydrogen Sonata, the titular Excession, the Shellworld politics in Matter, and Special Circumstances in State of the Art, Use of Weapons, and Inversions -- at every level you see "Culture" either triumphing or laying fallow to manipulate things towards its own end whether it's a part of the actual Culture civilization or not.

Once you've come in proper contact with the Culture, you never are free of it, and it will work as a force to its own ends whether you know you are a part of it or not. As is said in Use of Weapons "You might call them soft and they'd probably agree with you, but they're soft in the way the ocean is soft."

And the only societies we see that are truly diametrically opposed to anything that the Culture can't use all have straight-up fashy overtones-- the Idrians, the Affront, and Azad -- which are naturally worse but do have the lone benefit of being societies where you cannot possibly mistake your own advantages to anything other than your genetic luck and willingness to be a sadistic gently caress to other life.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Crow Road also has a wargame as window dressing, zi don't recall it playing into the story

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

people can and do leave the Culture - whole ships even!

That’s what they would have you believe. The Zetetic Elench is a SC psyop! :tinfoil:

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Scope posted:

Gurgeh stared at the space chess. He considered moving the space king over to the space rook, but then he didn't. Instead, he moved it to the right. He nodded. The robot flew over, and said something bitchy. Gurgeh chuckled, then sighed. "Robot," he said, "please fly away." The robot made a light from his head and then he flew away.

Gurgeh stared at the board. He reflected that the best games were the games that were so hard. And that what this game was. Where would he move the space piece next?

… snip …
Went back to page one for this post and was glad I did. :toot:

In the shitposting spirit of the first page of this thread, I want to point out I had an Iain M. Banks avatar on this forum for 20 years and none of you said a gat-danged word about it:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Uh

No.

With the caveat that what you describe is a common funeral practice in the Culture, so.. ultimately I guess?

Yeah it's mentioned in the epilogue that if you're reading this then Gurgeh's been dead and funerally displaced into the sun for many years by now, but that's just a 'these events won't be published for a long time' thing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh, the Cliff class superlifter is an Escarpment class GCU that's been filled with engines instead. How twee.

(I got the drawings for Christmas)

(Would it really have killed them to do a contrast pass on this though?)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

slower progress reading since I'm not trapped at the airport but we are finally on Azad and LMAO at the drone and ship having to cosplay as cube r2d2 and a static hissing c3po.

I also had a revelation when Gurgeh said "fancy dress" when Flare-Imasho was fussing about its gimpsuit, that I'd basically been reading every character in American but they were probably intended to be more English and Scottish and switching to that instantly made some of the characters make more sense.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

An effector is a deliberately vague omnipurpose remote sensor and and manipulator. It is a device that can have a precise effect at a distance. (Most effectively with EM fields, so the Culture is really good at remotely manipulating devices. Or even messing with brains.)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 29, 2023