Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I do think you should try everything. You're free to dislike it after but how can you know if you don't try? The only time I'm bothered is if someone just refuses to try new things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Butterfly Valley posted:

You literally said we can't choose our flavour preferences and when I gave you personal examples you said I was just making up stories to feel better about myself.

Okay I'm going to assume there was an honest misunderstanding here. Here's what I was and am saying:

Putting yourself through a conditioning regimen, even by choice, is not the same thing as simply choosing your flavor preference. It is very clearly an entirely different method of achieving the same theoretical result.

No one can just will themselves to like beer or broccoli or Surströmming the way you choose which socks to put on in the morning.

It's probably also true that it's much harder for some people to acclimate to some or all foods than other people.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm not going to judge someone for never trying new foods or challenging themselves to learn to like more things; that's up to them and I'll just feel disappointed, not contemptuous, if they don't. There's a whole world of experiences they're missing out on, and we only get one lifetime to try them all, but that's their call to make.

What I will say is that it can make your life a lot easier if you don't have arbitrary self-imposed food restrictions. You can go anywhere with anybody, and people will like being around you more.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the only fundamental problem is chicken nugget peeps

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Offal is a hot button topic because the US consumption patterns of meat as a status symbol dictate a ton of offal as byproducts if not fully wasted. If offal was more culturally accepted we'd see measurable price decreases in all meat products which also signal an overall increase in efficiency of meat production which is a big deal in the new world of carbon management.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the only fundamental problem is chicken nugget peeps

Post/Av combo

e: or is that the joke

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
this is an all-consuming postin affectation forged from 10 years in socal imprinting the word "dude" on me hard then me deciding to make it all-gender

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
As a picky eater, trying entirely new foods (as opposed to like, pasta with a different sauce) is HARD and sucks, and I don't like most entirely new things I try. At least these days I can find something to eat at most places, unlike when I was living the tendies life as a child.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Data Graham posted:

There's a whole world of experiences they're missing out on, and we only get one lifetime to try them all,

I keep saying this about heroin but my friends and loved ones keep stopping me from trying

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/Snack_Memories/status/1607058718910201858
https://twitter.com/Snack_Memories/status/1601213827328094209
https://twitter.com/Snack_Memories/status/1734559727705616479
https://twitter.com/Snack_Memories/status/1734201961392615471
https://twitter.com/Snack_Memories/status/1734191551553937739

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I don't remember this one, but I think I'm on board. The terribleness of jello cubes suspended in soda speaks to me in a perverse way :sweatdrop:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

it's like fizzy american boba

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Lengua is delicious and there's a reason it's a premium meat at taco joints.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

My mom used to make tongue and chicken hearts all the time, it was always to weird to me so I never tried em but I might have suspected that she was a bland cook in general and she was prolly doing it wrong, so maybe I’ll try it for myself

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Edmund Sparkler posted:

yeah I had some lengua on sopes and it was amazing

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

There's a local taco truck with a name that translates to "Cheeky Tacos" because their main thing is tacos made with beef cheek. Chewy but tasty.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

FFT posted:

There's a local taco truck with a name that translates to "Cheeky Tacos" because their main thing is tacos made with beef cheek. Chewy but tasty.

Barbacoa is delicious, and traditionally made from beef cheek.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

maybeadracula posted:

Nobody said you can't "learn to like" or acquire some tastes, sometimes. But why would you want to, generally speaking?

I was an incredibly picky eater as a child. It turns out there are some things I’m intolerant to that make me feel really sick (bananas, egg yolks, avocado). I’ve also never liked red meat. However, as an adult I wanted to learn to like things and acquire tastes so that I’d be less of a pain in the arse to eat with. I wanted to be able to find something at every restaurant that I’d both be able to comfortably digest and enjoy. I’m still working on it, in my 40s. I work as a brewer, and every now and then I’ll find myself in a fancy multi-course meal situation with beer pairings, and I try at least a bite of every single thing. Yeah, I still don’t enjoy steak, even though this is objectively perfect, thinly sliced, tender steak. Still not on board with shellfish. Still not great with capsaicin. But I have found heaps of things that I do enjoy, I’d just never had them prepared that way before - and that opens up new possibilities for things I can cook or things I can order at a meal out.

Next time it happens, I’ll still try a bite of the steak or the pork belly or the eggplant, just in case. Both because I don’t want to be a pain in the arse food weird, and because a new nice thing is just wonderful.
I will pretty much always be a food weird, but it’s important to me that it’s not for a lack of trying.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Shooting Blanks posted:

Barbacoa is delicious, and traditionally made from beef cheek.
:wrong:

It's traditionally made from goat meat.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

But how the hell are you supposed to pronounce bellburger?

Just joshing, it's obviously pronounced 'sword'.

Samovar has a new favorite as of 13:10 on Dec 29, 2023

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Captain Hygiene posted:

My biggest experiment along those lines was trying to cut down my caffeine consumption by quitting coffee for a month, and trying to learn to like tea by trying some version of it every day. Nope, didn't work, I honestly wanted it to but I still just hate tea.

Well we are done professionally <:mad:> go buy one of those stupid capsule machines, it's what you deserve!

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Shithouse Dave posted:

IHowever, as an adult I wanted to learn to like things and acquire tastes so that I’d be less of a pain in the arse to eat with.

This is an important factor that often gets ignored. Being picky doesn't just get you judged by snobs, it makes life more difficult for people who want to eat with you or cook for you. My ex didn't cook, didn't like eating out, and insisted all of my cooking had to match her incredibly picky tastes. In the 2 years we were together I went from loving to cook because it gave me a chance to experiment and try new things to hating it because the only seasonings I was allowed to use were salt, garlic, and ginger. Literally anything else was either "too spicy" or "why do you want to put leaves in your food?" All the joy left one of my favorite hobbies and even now, a year after we broke up, I'm still not back to enjoying cooking as much as I used to.

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021

maybeadracula posted:

Nobody said you can't "learn to like" or acquire some tastes, sometimes. But why would you want to, generally speaking?

Because it's rewarding? I find the same with music. I like to listen to things I don't normally listen to let my palate acclimate so I can see the value in something. Why stick with the same boring poo poo when you crave new experiences? Music and food both have nuance. For instance I like IPA, black coffee, and black metal . All of these things grew on me, but I didn't force myself to like them, I come across something that at first is challenging but you know there must be value to it. Then little by little it becomes something very special. Seeing that everything has value you have get past that first challenge. I mean don't force yourself, if you don't like it the first couple times, return to it later in life; if it isn't something you wanna keep trying, then don't worry about it.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

stereobreadsticks posted:

This is an important factor that often gets ignored. Being picky doesn't just get you judged by snobs, it makes life more difficult for people who want to eat with you or cook for you. My ex didn't cook, didn't like eating out, and insisted all of my cooking had to match her incredibly picky tastes. In the 2 years we were together I went from loving to cook because it gave me a chance to experiment and try new things to hating it because the only seasonings I was allowed to use were salt, garlic, and ginger. Literally anything else was either "too spicy" or "why do you want to put leaves in your food?" All the joy left one of my favorite hobbies and even now, a year after we broke up, I'm still not back to enjoying cooking as much as I used to.

Can't believe you dated my mother for 2 years and never told me.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

caspergers posted:

Because it's rewarding?

I get how it could be and that's really cool.

Do you get how it could not be to other people with different circumstances?

Again, I'm a strong try all the things advocate, but a lot of people have weird brain poo poo and I'm not going to be a jerk to them. It reminds me of other things I've seen like insisting someone that's uncomfortable pet a dog because it's so nice or implying they're a bad person because they don't want to sing karaoke, once you get up there you'll love it, don't be a wuss, you're ruining our night!

I think a lot of people just don't realize or appreciate how lucky they are just to want to do and eat new things, or even want to want to.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Samovar posted:

But how the hell are you supposed to pronounce bellburger?

Just joshing, it's obviously pronounced 'sword'.

Double-L is pronounced like a Y in Spanish, so it's "beyburger"

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

First of May posted:

Double-L is pronounced like a Y in Spanish, so it's "beyburger"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What's the deal with the Frijoles? I've seen refried beans in burritos and things, but never just a big bowl you're apparently supposed to eat with a spoon. Is that a thing?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Captain Hygiene posted:

My biggest experiment along those lines was trying to cut down my caffeine consumption by quitting coffee for a month, and trying to learn to like tea by trying some version of it every day. Nope, didn't work, I honestly wanted it to but I still just hate tea.

I've always wanted to like tea more than I do. Like, I don't mind it, some teas are quite tasty but if someone said "coffee or tea?" I'd be like "coffee".

Also tea always makes me sort of queasy in a subtle way after I drink a whole cup of it. Probably too much tannins or something.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

What's the deal with the Frijoles? I've seen refried beans in burritos and things, but never just a big bowl you're apparently supposed to eat with a spoon. Is that a thing?

Yup, it’s Pinto and Cheese nowadays tho

Both my kids used to get them when they were to young to figure out how to eat burritos

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Coffee tastes like rear end, but I drink it anyway. It's a drug, not food.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Coffee tastes great and I wish more high quality decaf was available so I can enjoy coffee all day without suffering severe panic attacks

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Facebook Aunt posted:

As you can see, they come in Pepsi, Orange, Root Beer, and Coffee flavors.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yes it’s extremely common to have them as a side dish. Do you live somewhere with no mexicans?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Edmund Sparkler posted:

I like lengua, I've just never seen someone shove a big single piece of tongue in a tortilla and called it a day. I am pretty curious how the texture is

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

zedprime posted:

Offal is a hot button topic because the US consumption patterns of meat as a status symbol dictate a ton of offal as byproducts if not fully wasted. If offal was more culturally accepted we'd see measurable price decreases in all meat products which also signal an overall increase in efficiency of meat production which is a big deal in the new world of carbon management.

You underestimate how globalized the meat trade is, American poultry processing (for instance) is a major exporter of chicken feet to China. Even the tiny remaining scraps of meat left on bones get pressurewashed off to use in sausages erc.

What does get wasted is hides, since the demand and price of leather has dropped so low they can't be processed and make a profit.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I like lengua, I've just never seen someone shove a big single piece of tongue in a tortilla and called it a day. I am pretty curious how the texture is

That's what I was wondering too. I've had beef tongue tacos before and they were great, but the meat was all diced up so you wouldn't necessarily know what it was by its looks.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
Tongue is pretty tender, so biting through it or chewing wouldn't be a problem. Being able to see a nice big section of tastebuds may be off-putting to some.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

LeastActionHero posted:

Tongue is pretty tender, so biting through it or chewing wouldn't be a problem. Being able to see a nice big section of tastebuds may be off-putting to some.

Don't you peel the tastebuds off before you cook the tongue? My grandma used to cook tongue (but the British way of boiling it in plain water, maybe a pinch of salt and a bay leaf if you're lucky) and it wasn't terrible. Very much just a generic 'meat' experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
There's a membrane you peel off, but there's still a noticable texture underneath.