Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

ImpAtom posted:

.. but they literally show Samus' weapons bouncing off in a cutscene.
yes, from the front. and when i shot it after sliding under it seemed like it was doing damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Fuligin posted:

Dread's progression is a bit more railroaded than Id like but the movement and atmosphere is so so good

Yeah I was a bit disappointed honestly.

I love OG NES and Super Metroid SO MUCH and Dread was obviously and clearly a technical improvement in a lot of ways, but it aside from the contained EMMI fights, it didn't feel like anything.

The areas didn't feel special and unique, and the progression was extremely linear. I think Ori and Hollow Knight had much better Metroid feeling exploration even if they didn't have the explicit trappings of bubble doors and energy tanks

Dread is very good, but it didn't unseat Super or Prime as top 'troid

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

I just finished Pikmin 4 in just shy of 37 hours. I still have stuff to do, but I’m itching to play something else. I was planning to resume TOTK but all this Dread chat is making me want to blast through that game quick before TOTK.

I did a nice run of it today and was impressed when I had to go back to the 2nd area for just one treasure to 100% it (my Dandori the day before had been weak). What was I going to do with the whole day? Just grow 70 pikmin and double my raw material reserves!

I was pretty pleased how productive a day it was otherwise.

The whole game is terrific and I'm excited to see what it's building up to. Who else has spent far too much time in the title screen listening to that tune?

---

I otherwise finished I <3 Katamari, even if I'm only at 30% of collectibles, so I'll probably keep plugging away at that. I'm making steady progress through RE4 (killed the Right-hand man), and even started Engage for some reason. I'm juggling too many balls but I'm having a blast.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Fuligin posted:

Dread's progression is a bit more railroaded than Id like but the movement and atmosphere is so so good
Yeah Dread is basically Fusion 2 so if you're coming off, say, the Prime remaster you might be disappointed at how the map locks areas and the mostly linear progression.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Dread is also "Samus Returns (3DS) with more mobility and difficulty," which makes Samus Returns "Dread without EMMI."
Both are fun!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

creating linear metroid games is psycho poo poo and they need to stop doing it!!!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

creating linear metroid games is psycho poo poo and they need to stop doing it!!!

Pretty much every Metroid game is linear except for areas where you can sequence break, which is something Dread has too. People like to hype Super Metroid up as non-linear but honestly you're mostly following a set path the game gates via power-ups and you need to know hidden tricks to go off that beaten path.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I loved Dread and how it actually felt challenging for a first party Nintendo release.

I loved Mario Wonder too but god drat it was way too easy, even in the special world. I thought it would have been more challenging with all the access to badges and literal invincible characters but nope. I wish they’d do a JP Mario 2/New Super Luigi U style follow-up for it since I love the movement and physics.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Alright thread, just finished Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Future Redeemed and would love some game decision help. I'm starting the first game Definitive Edition because my brain is sick, but it's a replay since I played the Wii version years ago so I'm gonna have it on the side while I play something new.

Some options in my backlog:

Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
Mario + Rabbids Donkey Kong Adventure (dlc in first game)
Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Return of the Obra Dinn
Disco Elysium
Monster Train
Monster Sanctuary
Pikmin 3 or 4 (don't have either but open to buying)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

Alright thread, just finished Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Future Redeemed and would love some game decision help. I'm starting the first game Definitive Edition because my brain is sick, but it's a replay since I played the Wii version years ago so I'm gonna have it on the side while I play something new.

Return of the Obra Dinn
Disco Elysium
Monster Train
Monster Sanctuary

Those are a lot of different kinds of games, but of those Return of the Obra Dinn (short and extremely good) or Disco Elysium (longer and extremely good)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Monster Train is also good for a casual "kill an hour while watching poo poo" game, it's great in similar ways Slay the Spire is, though both are just different enough to both be worth playing.

As for Dread, it's my fourth favorite Metroid after Super, Prime 1, and Zero Mission. This means it's still really loving good and worth playing, but it's a tad more linear and railroady, though not quite on Fusion's level (not to knock Fusion, it owns too, but it has much different strengths). Being the 4th best Metroid is still a huge achievement because even stuff like the first two games are solid for what they are.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Those are a lot of different kinds of games, but of those Return of the Obra Dinn (short and extremely good) or Disco Elysium (longer and extremely good)

Seconding this. If you want something fast pace-ish I guess Ori for genre though I haven't played it.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i got dkr with my n64 and with how new 3d gaming still was, exploring the hub world in that game felt fuckin magical

I’ll always remember wanting Zelda 64, getting dkr instead and being -incredibly- pissed… … until I played it and my opinion did a 180 on it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

How come more kart racers don't rip off DKR instead of Mario Kart? At least then you wouldn't be overshadowed by loving Mario Kart.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

Return of the Obra Dinn
Disco Elysium
Monster Train
Monster Sanctuary

I got extremely addicted to Monster Train this summer when I had some time off and played for like ~100 hours over the course of a month or so. This is intended as either a ringing endorsement or a warning, depending on how much time you have.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

ImpAtom posted:

Pretty much every Metroid game is linear except for areas where you can sequence break, which is something Dread has too. People like to hype Super Metroid up as non-linear but honestly you're mostly following a set path the game gates via power-ups and you need to know hidden tricks to go off that beaten path.

Part of the genius of Metroid is making it FEEL like you're exploring non linearly, which Dread was weak on. That's all it is

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Holy poo poo Pikmin4 has a whole mini Pikmin1 inside it!

I never bothered listening to Olimar yap but it's a game within a game :aaaaa:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Dread rules but does have issues that prevent it from being perfect. I would still stack Super, Fusion, and Zero Mission above it... but the difficulty of the game feels more satisfying (outside the EMMIs which are are a lesser SA-X imo).

character design and portrayal for Samus is probably the series best. but as other people have noted the art design is kind of lacking. also the music is pretty forgettable. but contrariwise the sounddesign is loving top notch?

Dread rules but is a land of contrasts. i am enjoying my time with it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Thanks for the recs, folks! Gonna play either Obra Dinn or Disco Elysium when I feel the urge to break from Xeno for a bit

mancalamania posted:

I got extremely addicted to Monster Train this summer when I had some time off and played for like ~100 hours over the course of a month or so. This is intended as either a ringing endorsement or a warning, depending on how much time you have.

Mega64 posted:

Monster Train is also good for a casual "kill an hour while watching poo poo" game, it's great in similar ways Slay the Spire is, though both are just different enough to both be worth playing.

This looks super fun too and I may fire this up to be another side game

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Sally posted:

character design and portrayal for Samus is probably the series best.

If there's one thing Dread goes out of its way to make right, it's Samus. It's like the dev team saw Other M, looked at each other, and agreed, "We must ensure we do the exact opposite of that." This is Samus at her most experienced, so nothing phases her, she has little tolerance for bullshit, and even when things go crazy she keeps her cool because she's loving Samus, she's done this poo poo like ten times by now, what can loving stop her?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Dread was fantastic but don’t pay more than $39.99 for it.

Edit, Saw its on sale for $42, yeah that’s the most I can recommend paying for it. I bought it full price when it came out, but it’s hard to justify $60 for it.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

i was pretty fine with obviously out-of-the-way item pickups being labeled in maps along with that :wom: sound in the prime games telling you when a treat is nearby, but the way dread dumps a bunch of waypoints on your map for every item you can get with each new upgrade felt very overbearing to me. don't tell me what to do, video game!

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tender Bender posted:

Thanks for the recs, folks! Gonna play either Obra Dinn or Disco Elysium when I feel the urge to break from Xeno for a bit

:eyepop: wish I were you because those are both :kiss: the first time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Disco Elysium is unreal. I think about that game all the time. It’s so good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It was too good for this world which is why we'll never get another one.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Disco Elysium is unreal. I think about that game all the time. It’s so good.

Same yet I can’t bring myself to replay it. Still too fresh somehow.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

It was too good for this world which is why we'll never get another one.

To be fair I don't know how you could create another Disco Elysium. It was the perfect storm.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i keep trying to find other games that give the same feeling... but there aren't any.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

DE was the combination of a ton of talented voice actors, a ton of clever mechanics, and a ton of depth few RPGs ever achieve. Matching that team's effort and talent is nigh-impossible.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Mega64 posted:

How come more kart racers don't rip off DKR instead of Mario Kart? At least then you wouldn't be overshadowed by loving Mario Kart.

Crash Team Racing apes off DKR more than it does MK64. A fact I only realized when I played the remake on Switch. If I'd known that I wouldn't have dismissed it as a lovely Mario Kart knockoff!

Basically try CTR. It's a fun time.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

EightFlyingCars posted:

i was pretty fine with obviously out-of-the-way item pickups being labeled in maps along with that :wom: sound in the prime games telling you when a treat is nearby, but the way dread dumps a bunch of waypoints on your map for every item you can get with each new upgrade felt very overbearing to me. don't tell me what to do, video game!

See and here I love it when games are just like "go blasting this direction for next item." :v:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Space Fish posted:

Dread is also "Samus Returns (3DS) with more mobility and difficulty," which makes Samus Returns "Dread without EMMI."
Both are fun!

Samus Returns is mid tbqh

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I don't know how we all missed this but: https://amzn.to/3TFX1iJ
Nitro Decks for $50 (black or white).

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

otter posted:

I don't know how we all missed this but: https://amzn.to/3TFX1iJ
Nitro Decks for $50 (black or white).

Is it worth $50 to play In hand hold? Reviews are a bit mixed.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

LionArcher posted:

Is it worth $50 to play In hand hold? Reviews are a bit mixed.

I have that and the retroflag one because I have more money than sense. I vastly prefer the retroflag. No back buttons, but way better build quality.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I bit on a Nitro Deck cause the clear red version really hit me just right aesthetically, plus I basically only ever play in handheld. I'd say overall it's definitely comfortable to hold as a unit, but the kinda weird part is that everything on the face definitely sits just a little too low. People primarily mention the right stick being the most noticeable but if you really hold it with a grip that feels natural both the D-pad and right stick kind of hit on the base of the thumbs; You sort of have to shift your whole grip a finger width or so lower for stuff to be in the right place and even then you're still really arching the thumb to hit the right stick. Part of it is certainly acclimation from years of just holding regular joycons though. Everything being bigger and the buttons being real chunky and the sticks having a ton of throw feels weird when you just fiddle with it, but actually playing games they're perfectly responsive. The rumble is kind of abrasive and loud.

Overall after deliberately doing some swapping back and forth with the joycons I think it'll stay in the Nitro Deck but it's not like a mind blowing upgrade. The special edition was overpriced for what it is, and it sits in a spot where if I had held it before buying I probably would have passed on it. It's big and meaty and clacky and smaller hands will also probably hate it a lot. It's grown on me a bit since getting it earlier this month. 7/10.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

I ended up not liking the Nitro Deck at all; I'm using a Satisfye Zengrip now and it's a lot nicer. Not a joycon replacement though.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Pigma_Micron posted:

I have that and the retroflag one because I have more money than sense. I vastly prefer the retroflag. No back buttons, but way better build quality.

The retroflag one twice killed the usb control / Ethernet on my switch so I’ll likely never put the switch back into it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gf’s niece got Mario Wonder for Christmas and we’re all hooting and hollering playing it. It’s maybe the funniest game I’ve ever played. It’s sooooo fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

Prophet of Nixon posted:

I ended up not liking the Nitro Deck at all; I'm using a Satisfye Zengrip now and it's a lot nicer. Not a joycon replacement though.

I also grabbed a Nitro Deck recently and I've barely used it. I've continued to use my Hori Split Pad Pro instead. The Hori is missing some of the features, but it feels better to hold and is substantially lighter. Also, as mentioned, the stick and button locations just feel better. Hopefully I'll find a use for it one day.