Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dumb question...anyone do a replacement of a Masterforce tool with lifetime warranty @ Menards?

Was it easy-peasy-no-receipt-needed type thing at the counter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Colostomy Bag posted:

Dumb question...anyone do a replacement of a Masterforce tool with lifetime warranty @ Menards?

Was it easy-peasy-no-receipt-needed type thing at the counter?

Yes, walk in with the broken part, grab a replacement and walk up to customer service with both in hand and they’ll have you on your merry way. On par with my warranty experiences with Harbor Freight and Husky tools in Home Depot

For my own question: I am looking to invest in a nicer torque wrench, somewhere between $100-150, and was hoping to get something to handle everything. Up till now Ive had a cheap 1/2” clicker I’ve used for lug nuts but I’ve been doing more stuff under the hood and I want something with more lower-end range.

It seems like the 1/2” torque wrenches don’t have enough low end range to serve as a “does it all” type torque wrench. I was looking at a split-beam 3/8” that did 20-100ft-lbs which ought to cover my needs technically (my lugs torque at 96ftlbs) - is this a bad idea? . Or is my hope of only using one torque wrench for most everything unrealistic?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Yes. Have two.

Torque wrenches aren't that accurate at the extreme ends of their ranges.

Get a 3/8" wrench that measures inch pounds and convert for lower torque specs like spark plugs and valve cover bolts etc .

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

The Top G posted:

Yes, walk in with the broken part, grab a replacement and walk up to customer service with both in hand and they’ll have you on your merry way. On par with my warranty experiences with Harbor Freight and Husky tools in Home Depot

When I brought a Ryobi impact drill to Home Depot after using it once, they tagged it, mailed it off, and told me I'd have to pay for it if they found it being broke because of something I did, then had to wait a couple of weeks to get a new one mailed back.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Uthor posted:

When I brought a Ryobi impact drill to Home Depot after using it once, they tagged it, mailed it off, and told me I'd have to pay for it if they found it being broke because of something I did, then had to wait a couple of weeks to get a new one mailed back.
Yeah, I had to exchange a dead Ryobi battery and was expecting "walk it to the counter and walk away with a new one" like Craftsman of yore, but ended up having to fill out forms online and get a new one mailed to me. Luckily I ordered it online and had the receipt in my email or it would have been more of a pain in the rear end.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Uthor posted:

Hand tools, only. The only place I know that does the “hassle free exchange” for power tools is Harbor Freight and Menards on their Masterforce power tools. Maybe Hilti and/or Snapon depending on your relationship w your rep

In your case, I would have bought a duplicate item, swapped the tools out, and returned the broken drill in the new box. Yes it is dishonest but I think it’s hosed to make you wait a few weeks to replace a tool that broke after one use

wesleywillis posted:

Yes. Have two.

Torque wrenches aren't that accurate at the extreme ends of their ranges.

Get a 3/8" wrench that measures inch pounds and convert for lower torque specs like spark plugs and valve cover bolts etc .

ANSI calibration standards call for accuracy within 4% for 20-100% of a torque wrench’s max capacity ?

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

The Top G posted:

In your case, I would have bought a duplicate item, swapped the tools out, and returned the broken drill in the new box. Yes it is dishonest but I think it’s hosed to make you wait a few weeks to replace a tool that broke after one use

Ah, yes, the "proletariat's warranty" I know and love.

Never, ever apologize or care about doing this, it is cool and good.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The Top G posted:

Waiting for the day where they RFID the thing with an internal serial number tied to the packaging and file a civil suit for damages.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Colostomy Bag posted:

Waiting for the day where they RFID the thing with an internal serial number tied to the packaging and file a civil suit for damages.

they'd just ban you from doing returns, same thing they do with anyone who returns too much stuff

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

The Top G posted:

Hand tools, only. The only place I know that does the “hassle free exchange” for power tools is Harbor Freight and Menards on their Masterforce power tools. Maybe Hilti and/or Snapon depending on your relationship w your rep

Lowe's does it with Kobalt power tools too. Any other power tool brands they have to send out (not 100 percent sure on Craftsman). Technically you're supposed to have your receipt but if the date code on the tool is new enough it depends on the cashier.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Torque wrench chat - I have a few. From smallest to largest:

TEKTON 1/4 Inch Drive Dual-Direction Click Torque Wrench (10-150 in.-lb.) | TRQ21101 https://a.co/d/j6BETOB

Perfectly cromulent, comes in a nice zipper case, easy to read numbers and adjust.

A pair of old Husky ones in 3/8" and 1/2"
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-8-in-and-1-2-in-Drive-Torque-Wrench-Set-2-Piece-H3DTWA-H2DTWA/312672458 - mechanically the same as the above, numbers harder to read, plastic blow molded cases, have been battered and abused for 25 years, have no clue how close the calibration is nowadays. The linked pair are what they sell today and look similar but with a rubber grip. On sale for $109!

1/2" Snapon digital torque angle https://shop.snapon.com/product/Tec...29/ATECH3F250GB if not that then similar - obviously it's great, does eat the batteries if you leave them in. It's long as hell which has pros and cons, I wouldn't want to have to put a cheater on it, the soft handle and battery cover on the end might not like that. AFAIK Snapon is all rebranded CDI so you could just get one of those for cheaper probably. Wouldn't be green though.

I also have the little HF adapter https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-drive-25-250-ft-lb-digital-torque-adapter-58706.html they also have bigger and smaller depending on what torque range you want, the 3/4" one goes up to 750lb! It's handy, haven't tried to compare accuracy to anything else but it seems perfectly fine for suspension bolts and lug nuts and is way easier to fit in the travel bag.

I have some old beam style ones I never use that I inherited over the years. Pro for those is you can't forget to unwind the mechanism when you put them away.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Is the Bauer angle grinder from Harbor Freight any good, or would I be better off spending twice that to get a Makita for which I already own batteries?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Cordless angle grinder? I wouldn't waste your time to be honest. It will burn through batteries in no time no matter the brand or amp hours.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have both a corded and cordless* bauer they've been fine for DIY home use, I mostly use it for cut off for 1/2" square tubing, and the corded for grinding/flap disc/extended use

*I needed a set of power tin snips and they only had the cordless model and they had a "get a tool and battery get a second tool free" deal so that's how I ended up with a cordless grinder

The Bauer corded grinder has a trigger pseudo pistol grip which I really like as it gets your hands away from the spinning death, and arguably gives you better overall control. I'm not a fan of the thumb switch feels janky and excessively dangerous after using the pistol grip. The pistol grip model is also 8 amps instead of the old 7 amp model and I'm sure that extra 1 amp is important periodically

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-amp-4-12-in-trigger-grip-angle-grinder-64742.html

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Cordless angle grinder? I wouldn't waste your time to be honest. It will burn through batteries in no time no matter the brand or amp hours.

I completely disagree with this. They aren't a replacement for corded angle grinders, but they sure as hell come in handy. When you need one you really need one.

Safety Dance posted:

Is the Bauer angle grinder from Harbor Freight any good, or would I be better off spending twice that to get a Makita for which I already own batteries?

I have multiple "Warrior" or whatever the used to be called $15 4.5" corded HF angle grinders. If you follow the harbor freight power tool rules* they are just fine and I've had at least one of them for over a decade now, maybe even 15 years. They do'nt make it a week or the run forever. That's the sample to sample quality you're gonna find. But at $15 a piece who cares? You buy one for each type of disc you need on a regular basis plus a spare.

* This means you open it up, remove the foul smelling chinese gutter honey inside that they used instead of actual grease, clean up the casting schwarf and whatever other garbage was left behind that will kill it, put in literally any decent grease....I used whatever automotive/indistrial stuff is in the grease gun/grease pot at hand.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, I love my M18 grinder for jobs where the angle grinder is the right tool, but I don't need it for long. Grabbing a battery is quicker and easier than grabbing an extension cord, and if the job isn't going to come even close to running out of one battery, there's no downside.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I barely ever use my Ryobi 18v cordless angle grinder but when I do use it it's because nothing else will do the job without stringing hundreds of feet of extension cords or dragging a generator with me.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

We are edging dangerously close to "the right number of angle grinders to own" territory.

I love "the right number of angle grinders to own." quote that poo poo all day

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

WTFBEES posted:

We are edging dangerously close to "the right number of angle grinders to own" territory.

I believe this thread has well established it's always "the number you own +1".

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

kastein posted:

I barely ever use my Ryobi 18v cordless angle grinder but when I do use it it's because nothing else will do the job without stringing hundreds of feet of extension cords or dragging a generator with me.
That’s totally it. I use a cordless angle grinder for work on people’s roofs or exterior walls, rarely do I need more than one 4ah battery for the hole I’m cutting. It beats running all the electrical cord and picking it back up 10 minutes later

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

WTFBEES posted:

I did some minor fab the other day and goddamn I am glad I have three. It's the right amount to use at any given time, considering I have a three way splitter for the power cord. I'm out here wielding the Dewalt Ceberus. Cutting, grinding, flap.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

WTFBEES posted:

I had a good chuckle when I opened up the power tool closet in maintenance and there was a shelf that was just angle grinders.

I also thought of this thread when I saw one of the maintenance guys had a Snap On jacket.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, I love my M18 grinder for jobs where the angle grinder is the right tool, but I don't need it for long. Grabbing a battery is quicker and easier than grabbing an extension cord, and if the job isn't going to come even close to running out of one battery, there's no downside.

This is me. I've got a Metabo corded angle grinder and no patience to be tripping over extension cords. I went with Makita because I didn't want to deal with another charger.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

It's time to re-up on zip ties. The last few batches I got from amazon alphabet soup brands have been cheap junk.

What do y'all like? I could use a good assortment.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I normally go with home Depot store brand for the cheap white ones for general indoor and temporary use and waytek or delcity for the black UV resistant ones for actual long term use on builds.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Motronic posted:

I completely disagree with this. They aren't a replacement for corded angle grinders, but they sure as hell come in handy. When you need one you really need one.

Yeah, I was a bit flippant in my response and going to pull a mea culpa/my bad. Just based on my past experiences and usage patterns that don't obviously apply to everyone.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I absolutely loathe batteries myself and most of my tools are corded. I don't own a cordless angle grinder and I won't be owning one until there's been a massive advance in the field.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

I absolutely loathe batteries myself and most of my tools are corded. I don't own a cordless angle grinder and I won't be owning one until there's been a massive advance in the field.
I used to be the same way but then I realized extension cords suck, and lithium ion battery powered tools are way better than the old ni-cad cordless tools. For some things like drills or screwdrivers cordless is the way to go, but for high draw long use tools like an angle grinder, corded is better.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

opengl posted:

It's time to re-up on zip ties. The last few batches I got from amazon alphabet soup brands have been cheap junk.

What do y'all like? I could use a good assortment.

T&B, Burndy, Panduit seem to make the best. The UV resistant store brand home depot ties I can rip apart in my hands. I prefer the ones with the stainless steel tang if I can use them in the application.

kastein posted:

Coiling up 3 or 4 100' 12-3 extension cords is good exercise.

Look at this guy, dragging extension cords around while stealing catalytic converters.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Not going to say there wouldn't be a difference between high powered corded and cordless, but I honestly believe that the brand/type of abrasive makes a huuuuge difference. I recently did a blinded back-back-back test between major brands and their premium products and it amazing the differences between high end stuff, I can't imagine how big it would be with low end stuff.

3M Cubitron was the winner

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

SpeedFreek posted:

Look at this guy, dragging extension cords around while stealing catalytic converters.

My town finally caught a serial thief of cat stealers here. It is somewhat amazing the whole story of it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Not Wolverine posted:

I used to be the same way but then I realized extension cords suck, and lithium ion battery powered tools are way better than the old ni-cad cordless tools. For some things like drills or screwdrivers cordless is the way to go, but for high draw long use tools like an angle grinder, corded is better.

Oh sure I got a pair of 18v Makitas an impact and drill and a Makita weed whacker. But I still think they're too limited, the weed whacker is barely usable but it is fine for the impact. And now I need to replace the batteries and man I hate spending money, full stop. But I really don't want to spend it on batteries.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Oh sure I got a pair of 18v Makitas an impact and drill and a Makita weed whacker. But I still think they're too limited, the weed whacker is barely usable but it is fine for the impact. And now I need to replace the batteries and man I hate spending money, full stop. But I really don't want to spend it on batteries.

Wait for the bogo battery tool sales and stock up on some of the 5 amp hour batteries, those things will get you through about any job. Granted I'm only doing a small town lot backyard, but I can get 30-45 minutes out of one of those batteries on my Makita weeder. It's one of my favorite yard tools, and I burn through trimmer line faster than I do batteries on that.

Hell, the cordless Makita grinder I bought in 2014 is still plenty great with batteries. I've used it to slice up poles ripping out chain link fence, clean up a rusty metal roof on an outbuilding with a wire wheel for repainting, grind down concrete, strip paint on the porch with a flap wheel, cut out rusted exhaust, you name it. I never once felt that batteries were inadequate or I had to swap them out too frequently on any job.

I'll never buy another corded tool again. Hell, I ditched my 240v 20 gallon air compressor for a small oiled 3 gallon, and I can't wait to get a battery nail gun to retire my collection of pneumatic nailers. I already use the makita battery inflator to air up my tires, and I ditched my pneumatic impact years ago and haven't had any need or desire to look back. Once I pick up the high speed blower/duster I don't see myself ever touching my air compressor again.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
I’m about to start pulling and working on my first engine, a four cylinder from a Mighty Max, and as far as engine stands go is the $100 option from Harbor Freight good enough or should I be dropping a few more dollars on something better?

I have an engine lift I can borrow, but my buddy’s stand is occupied for the foreseeable future.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i guess inflation is real cause i remember those being sixty bucks a couple years ago.

i use those for small block V8s and they're plenty sturdy for that, so unless it's a big diesel 4cyl i can't imagine you'll have any trouble. imo any 4-wheel stand is fine for this sort of thing, just avoid the 3-wheel ones cause they like to tip if the front wheel gets caught on anything.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Seconding the 4 wheel thing, the 3 wheel ones are like reliant robins.

The pivot is literally just 2 pieces of tube sleeved over each other and it loving sucks on most of the cheap ones, I got rid of all my engine stands when I moved and once I build a new shop I think I'm gonna build a new engine stand myself with the following features:
Front and rear wheels spaced perfectly for maximum stability while still being able to get a harbor freight engine hoist to scissor with it well enough to pick the engine up off the stand
Some variety of front unit bearing - likely for a super duty f350 or late 00s 2wd Dakota since they don't require the shaft to keep the bearings together - as the pivot point
A manual air brake slack adjuster linkage such as Amazon b00ivqfydi to allow rotating the engine assembly with a cordless drill and never having it suddenly try and turn itself upside down
Decent heavy duty wheels with actual bearings

That being said the harbor freight 4 wheel ones are aggressively alright, especially if you slap a handful of grease in between the tubes so you have a fighting chance of turning the engine over to work on the bottom. Remember it'll take you for a ride if you don't have it well centered on the mounting plate though.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Thirding the HF 4-wheeler. I've got a full LQ longblock hanging off mine right now so it should have no problems with a Japanese 4 cylinder. Like with most things HF sourced, lubricate!

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Both my stands are the 4 wheel type, I had a roommate that left me his 3 wheel one after moving out because it was such a tippy bastard, and he bought a 4 wheel one.

I used my cordless angle grinder with a cutoff wheel to chop it up for scrap 🤣

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

WTFBEES posted:

You rang?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2788369&pagenumber=495&perpage=40&userid=0#post504395602

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Thanks for all the feedback, I feel way more confident with the budget stand now.