Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Laserjet 4P posted:

I always wondered about that name.

whoa wtf

edit: last time I ran into Ross from Moffenzeef, he was sitting at a table rolling joints at the synth store Modular8. He gave me a free VCO circuit board. I screwed up trying to solder components to it and turned it to scrap.

edit2: The last order I put in to that shop Modular8, the owner showed up at my door in the rain in the evening to hand deliver it. Just insanely ridiculously superb customer service. Shout out to Phil.

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtu.be/GpszobjzsaU?si=M-BQyBUz-U7kGGby

(pro click)

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Boody posted:

Haven't really had a chance to do a deep dive but did have some fun with the mainbow and some t420's I'd picked up earlier this year.

lofi future wasn't on my radar but that thing looks cool and they have preorders up for a new version, I will keep my eyes on that. LZX is getting my cash for a while :sigh: :laugh:

I need to build a lovely little wood rail for this, but, video as a first class citizen now; preview monitors of what's going out of video, and a grid view of what is currently available to go in to video; there's another SE-500 on the other end of all this.

The person I gave the skatethesizer to had been thinking along similar lines, and they built me a CV-controlled APC and monitor speaker in bloc-era looking housing, as well as a weird percussive physical thing that's kinda like a spring reverb with no input that you can shake the gently caress out of

Also in the video I don't really shake it because I hadn't popped the back off yet to see wtf, but there's a ton of garbage inside it that will scrape against springs, so I need to do another little demo of that. Cool loving thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUoxKeDRncY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYTSwoRV_Yc

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Is it worth going for a Disting EX over an MK4? On one hand the option to have two simultaneous algorithms/effects seems great for a smaller rack, but hopefully that doesn't mean double the menu-diving...

Additionally- does the Disting MIDI breakout only work with the current algorithm, or is it possible to have it do double duty as MIDI-CV outside of the MIDI-CV conversion mode (so you don't have to use an algorithm slot or put a second MIDI-CV interface in your rack)?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Could someone please post a pic of the OEM Microfreak power supply for the US? I've tried a dozen power bricks and USB bricks and the only thing that's worked so far is my computer. The manual says it's a 3-prong grounded supply for the touch strip to work.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
Take a look at the disting ex manual and see if any of the single mode algorithms look interesting to you. Those don’t run on a mk4. The Granulator is fun to mess around with. Having the option of the thing being a Plaits, Braids or a Rings is pretty nice, or a pretty decent wave table oscillator. Can’t say you don’t have oscillator options with a disting. Plus all the mk4 options x2 in dual mode make it a crazy versatile module.

I find the menu diving to be a huge pain. I’m not able to do anything with the module unless I have the manual open in front of me. But that would be the case with a mk4 too.

Don’t know anything about the midi options.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Thinking I'll sell my Sequential Prophet Rev 2 due to not having space for it in my new apartment and it just never getting used. Then I'll get something new and compact that can sit on my piano. Already have a Digitakt so was thinking of a Digitone. Anything else in that size/ballpark that would be a nice addition? Teenage engineering make some very small stuff but they don't seem very intuitive and I've heard build quality can be questionable (is that true?)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Tayter Swift posted:

Could someone please post a pic of the OEM Microfreak power supply for the US? I've tried a dozen power bricks and USB bricks and the only thing that's worked so far is my computer. The manual says it's a 3-prong grounded supply for the touch strip to work.
You betcha. This is what came with mine

Oh yeah, and I have a shortcut to the disting manual on home screen of my phone. I have the mk4, and I think the larger screen on the EX would be a big improvement, just to make navigation faster. With the mk4, the display is so small that it has to scroll to display anything.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 28, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
https://reverb.com/item/69890766-korg-drumlogue

Korg is doing their fire sale thing, Drumalogs for 400 new. They were selling for a bit more than that used a week ago, so probably hard to lose money.

I am too far down the euro hole to want a desktop drum thing, right now.

overeager overeater posted:

Is it worth going for a Disting EX over an MK4? On one hand the option to have two simultaneous algorithms/effects seems great for a smaller rack, but hopefully that doesn't mean double the menu-diving...
Yes, 100%, it's not just "2 distings plus some algs", it is "2 distings with an actually usable UX plus some additional algs". Yes the wavetable synth is cool and if yoiu have the midi breakout which isn't expensive then it does easy duty as a simple but highly functional poly VCO of various flavors and has some other modes.

I really see the other algs as bonus, though, and the screen is the big advantage. Yes manual diving will still be needed to learn the I/O of various modes but once you know that, not having to remember if S&H is B1 or B2, is great.

Additionally- does the Disting MIDI breakout only work with the current algorithm, or is it possible to have it do double duty as MIDI-CV outside of the MIDI-CV conversion mode (so you don't have to use an algorithm slot or put a second MIDI-CV interface in your rack)?

It only works with the current algorithm, one of which is midi to CV which I have not tested; the number of outputs make it a lot more limited than Mutant Brain which I also have.

Eccles posted:

Take a look at the disting ex manual and see if any of the single mode algorithms look interesting to you. Those don’t run on a mk4. The Granulator is fun to mess around with. Having the option of the thing being a Plaits, Braids or a Rings is pretty nice, or a pretty decent wave table oscillator. Can’t say you don’t have oscillator options with a disting. Plus all the mk4 options x2 in dual mode make it a crazy versatile module.

I find the menu diving to be a huge pain. I’m not able to do anything with the module unless I have the manual open in front of me. But that would be the case with a mk4 too.

Don’t know anything about the midi options.

I find the handful of modes I use a lot easy to recall and I have to consult the manual for everything else. And also that is a rolling set of things. I've been using it as a dual S&H a lot lately for video animation stuff.

On that note -- audio gear is generally bad at mixing video CV because audio is ~20hz-20khz and video and ~60hz to 10mhz. But anecdotally, using analog stuff like quadvca is somewhat better and for simple patterns and animations seems to work fine; pushing stuff into heavy glich land loses a lot of data.

LFOs are totally fine as long as they are trimmed into 0-1v mode, so a lot of animation can be synced to audio that way.

Using audio S&H on actual video CV does not work; using audio S&H on envelopes/LFOs modding video can work fine and also give interesting animation effects (roll an encoder from 1 beat every 2 seconds to 12 beats a second, watch it go from a slideshow to an animation. Slap a positive looping envelope on the CV for that clock....)

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

My experience with the Mk4 was that it is a very cool and powerful module that I never wanted to use. The screen is almost completely useless and you def need to have the manual on hand unless you only end up using a handful of functions regularly. And if you only use a few functions, like effects or oscillators, why not have dedicated modules? I've never had an EX but the oled screen would be worth it on its own, I think

Fists Up posted:

Thinking I'll sell my Sequential Prophet Rev 2 due to not having space for it in my new apartment and it just never getting used. Then I'll get something new and compact that can sit on my piano. Already have a Digitakt so was thinking of a Digitone. Anything else in that size/ballpark that would be a nice addition? Teenage engineering make some very small stuff but they don't seem very intuitive and I've heard build quality can be questionable (is that true?)

The OP-Z is notoriously cheaply made and there's tons of pics online of warped and boomeranged cases. The KOII had/has fader and speaker problems. I don't think I've heard of build quality issues with the OP-1's. The Field Desk is, by all accounts, rugged and sturdy, a great addition to any synthesist's arsenal.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

B33rChiller posted:

You betcha. This is what came with mine

Oh yeah, and I have a shortcut to the disting manual on home screen of my phone. I have the mk4, and I think the larger screen on the EX would be a big improvement, just to make navigation faster. With the mk4, the display is so small that it has to scroll to display anything.

Thanks -- that's the one I'm using and yeah my keybed and touch strip are screwed up with it. Dammit.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Did you lotion up? Your skin is part of the keyboard.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcSdZaQAhi0

now with 90s style video feedback done with 90s style PiP!!

Audio is a rene sequence into both sides of specraphon, left side is Chaos mode, right is reprocessing audio from left. The background texture blippy poo poo is mimeophon butchered Alice In Wonderland movie soundtrack bits I had handy.

the next nut to crack is doing MIDI-based video transitions. looks easy enough. then I will be DANGEROUS.

also there's $900 in LZX poo poo (2 modules lolmbo, DSG3 and ESX3 ) out for delivery today :allears:

my initial plan is: DSG3 modulating mainbow patterns but also responsive to the same LFOs and then going out through ESX3 into the same mixer Mainbow is, so I have 2 patterns based on the same CV I can jump between and i can hop to a pure DSG3 patch while loving around and repatching mainbow/

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

I gave in to the hype and got myself a Blukac Endless Processor with part of my Christmas bonus since I have a drone ambient show coming up. And yeah, it's worth it - when you hit the "infinity" button, it samples a portion of audio, does spectral analysis on it and turns it into an infinite drone. It's incredibly fun and useful for creating and building textures for ambient music, and I get the feeling that it's going to be an integral part of my setup for quite a while.

I also finally got myself a used Loquelic Iteritas from NE, after tinkering with it at synth shops and such, and I think this is gonna be one of my favorite oscillators for a long time to come. It has such a massive and unusual timbral range and I could just turn knobs on it forever and a half. I'm just sad I missed out on the special edition pink panels when they came out.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Tayter Swift posted:

Thanks -- that's the one I'm using and yeah my keybed and touch strip are screwed up with it. Dammit.

I suspect ambient humidity can cause issues. My 0ctrl is really sensitive to that. The drier the air, the worse it performs.
Fingers crossed for yah.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I heat with wood and just put half my poo poo away most of the winter, it’s so dry. Touch stuff barely works, ESDeath is a :science: away.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Startyde posted:

I heat with wood and just put half my poo poo away most of the winter, it’s so dry. Touch stuff barely works, ESDeath is a :science: away.

Ooh yeah. Used to keep a roaster half full of water on top of the wood stove, just so I could pet a cat without blasting his nose off.
POW ZAP , oh poo poo, sorry little buddy.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

RocketMermaid posted:

I also finally got myself a used Loquelic Iteritas from NE, after tinkering with it at synth shops and such, and I think this is gonna be one of my favorite oscillators for a long time to come. It has such a massive and unusual timbral range and I could just turn knobs on it forever and a half. I'm just sad I missed out on the special edition pink panels when they came out.

Nice, I love my LI. Its awesome for morphing complex drones. Its also great for percussion if you feed it a bunch of triggered modulation into the cv inputs

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

B33rChiller posted:

I suspect ambient humidity can cause issues. My 0ctrl is really sensitive to that. The drier the air, the worse it performs.
Fingers crossed for yah.

I remember reading something from a guy who called Arturia support with Microfreak keybed problems and they narrowed it down to him living under some high-voltage lines or a radio tower or something like that and were basically like "yeah that's a known problem, nothing we can do about unusual local EM fields, sorry".

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

withak posted:

I remember reading something from a guy who called Arturia support with Microfreak keybed problems and they narrowed it down to him living under some high-voltage lines or a radio tower or something like that and were basically like "yeah that's a known problem, nothing we can do about unusual local EM fields, sorry".

This isn't far from what's happening.

Turns out it absolutely hates my 4ms Pod and (micro) freaks out when it's within six feet, even when they're plugged into different outlets. What the gently caress, Arturia?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Find someone with one of those RF hacking devices and see what kind hosed-up interference the case is putting out.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah I’ve got a Soma Ether I can wave at it when I’m back home.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
I wonder if any of this is related to the wall of noise I get when I try to put multiband compression on my microfreak

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Eccles posted:

Take a look at the disting ex manual and see if any of the single mode algorithms look interesting to you.

B33rChiller posted:

I have the mk4, and I think the larger screen on the EX would be a big improvement, just to make navigation faster.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I've never had an EX but the oled screen would be worth it on its own, I think

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Yes, 100%, it's not just "2 distings plus some algs", it is "2 distings with an actually usable UX plus some additional algs".

Thanks! I ended up going for the EX with the tiny MIDI breakout - after watching a few videos and reading the manual, the OLED screen does seem to improve the UI a lot, and being able to use it as an oscillator is pretty nifty :)

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
This loving guy...is so incredibly talented and makes some of the best YouTube content out there for my money.

https://youtu.be/ZP3K5RN1Zps?si=VOJ4Uxj0g_7pHCkV

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Hot drat that’s so well put together.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBRINBd2bUI

Pardon my out of breath breathing, I guess I was breathless with suspense for too long.

Output of LZX DSG/ESG modulated by, and modulating, mainbow, followed by a twist of mainbows Alpha knob until mainbow's display takes over.

The ESG I was sent has a hosed red channel, but LZX staff were extremely responsive on discord and I feel good about the company, so I just bought another one while waiting for Detmod to process my return, and I bought a Factors while I'm at it because now that I see what ESG contast control does, I know I need it to be CVable....

e: i think the modulation here was from audio-eurorack LFOs being trimmed. Plus me twisting the alpha knob.

I may be VJing a small gathering on NYE, by virtue of being "the only video synth person available" :laugh:

Feels like cheating your way into a band by being the only person in town to own a subcontrabassoon

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Long tradition of bass playing, pa owning, van driving folk getting in bands. Hold your honker high.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MMD3 posted:

This loving guy...is so incredibly talented and makes some of the best YouTube content out there for my money.

On one hand I'm glad his OP-1 videos are back, on the other his reasons for doing it are a demonstration of everything that's broken about making a living as an artist.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Probably the tenth or so video I've seen this year saying this isn't all is cracked up to be/I've had a bad year/I need to adjust my upload schedule/etc.

It's amazing how YouTube has got them all to buy into something and then cranked up the dials to burn them out.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

*tapping the emoji*

:capitalism:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Anyone given up on eurorack? I feel like I haven't had fun with my case in some time and I'm thinking maybe I'm just too dumb for it and prefer using an Elektron or something.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

net work error posted:

Anyone given up on eurorack? I feel like I haven't had fun with my case in some time and I'm thinking maybe I'm just too dumb for it and prefer using an Elektron or something.

ive spent many stretches where i didnt touch my modular much and more often didnt make music at all, but as long a you fill those times with other nourishing things i dont think its worth worrying too much about it. eventually you'll feel the urge and it'll be there when you do. always good to pursue the other appetites you have!

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
I was listening to Mr Bill's podcast with Barclay Crenshaw and they were talking about reaching the point where you can't find any source of creativity with a piece of gear anymore. That using something for a long time can create a kind of comfort where you're not pushing it or yourself anymore, and that even something as simple as switching from one piano to another can reopen those creative pathways

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
i really like eurorack and frequently consider getting rid of everything else

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

CatBlack posted:

:same:

I have thought about getting rid of my non-Eurorack synth gear and just relying on Eurorack + softsynths/samplers.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I'm going to count it as a synth, because it's basically a rompler, and Santa brought the Costco Casio piano bundle this year.
My daughter and I opened presents late this year, and she was jumping up and down excited to see a piano.
Taking my first steps at learning, and I'm all like "Oh, that song's called ode to joy!"

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
Yes, I’ve been thinking about selling my eurorack for a few months now. It’s been a fun couple of years, but the cost was stupid, and a DAW like Bitwig and things like VCV Rack can do so much more. For me, collecting this hardware was a mistake.

I probably won’t sell it.

But I should.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

CatBlack posted:

sorta glad I got into eurorack before getting into much desktop gear because the price to cubic foot ratio is unreal and prevents me from having to upgrade houses, which is a thing i for sure cannot afford now or ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

these LZX modules are so insanely power hungry I took one look at the spec, sighed, and blew $150 at LZX's site on their Bespoke 12v adapter. DSG + EGS3 is like 1/3 of a 84hp case's total supply right there

e: i didn't look at the spec until the rack wouldn't boot with everything connected and people from discord told me to check my math and I didn't believe them :allears:

until the LZX thing shows up I just have 12v wall warts going through gap racks. Pro grade!!