Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Sagebrush posted:

My graphics card has a 7 in it, which means I am better than the pathetic plebs who can only afford a 6, but I still must envy my friend with an 8

Same as penises, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I don't see how this confusion helps them make money.

It lets them sell years+ old stuff while trying to trick the customer into thinking it's new

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-gt-730-announcement,27087.html

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

CainFortea posted:

Just to nail the lid home on how customers don't read things, last week we got over 50 emails for reservations. The form to submit the query requests their phone number. 8 had the phone number in the first email. About 20 gave it after the second email.

Over half never gave us their phone number and then showed up wondering why they didn't have reservations.

I have seen email chains that would blow your mind, including a response to us asking for their phone number, "my phone number is:"

That is a direct quote.

That sounds less like people not reading and more like people not understanding why this requires their phone number. If they're not calling for a reservation then they probably don't want you calling them or texting them. Why can't you just email them back? Is it because you want to interrupt their day to fit your schedule rather than the other way around? That seems kinda rude to me and I see businesses that have no right to do it doing it all the time.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Leviathan Song posted:

That sounds less like people not reading and more like people not understanding why this requires their phone number. If they're not calling for a reservation then they probably don't want you calling them or texting them. Why can't you just email them back? Is it because you want to interrupt their day to fit your schedule rather than the other way around? That seems kinda rude to me and I see businesses that have no right to do it doing it all the time.

I certainly don't understand why it's required. Not actually making the reservation because the phone number field is blank sounds wild

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Right, it's either required or it isn't. Don't accept the form if it is, automatically complete the reservation if it's not. A manual back and forth on a partially completed form is perhaps the worst possible solution.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
My guess is they have an antiquated system where the primary key is a phone number.
Which is stupid for a number of reasons but the owner's failson not being able to code a simple required field is what really makes this perfect.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

PYF awful surveys

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Leviathan Song posted:

That sounds less like people not reading and more like people not understanding why this requires their phone number.

I don't think you actually understand.

They tried to reply with their phone number.

They sent an email saying "This is my phone number"

And then didn't add the phone number.

The idea that they don't understand why we need it doesn't hold any water.

Qwertycoatl posted:

I certainly don't understand why it's required. Not actually making the reservation because the phone number field is blank sounds wild

Because if you're taking our stuff, we require having the ability to call you should you not bring it back.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

CainFortea posted:

Because if you're taking our stuff, we require having the ability to call you should you not bring it back.

Everyone assumed the business in question is a restaurant, where the business needing to contact the customer before the reservation is in effect is not important.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

hooah posted:

Everyone assumed the business in question is a restaurant, where the business needing to contact the customer before the reservation is in effect is not important.

Ah, yea, no. Rental equipment.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

hooah posted:

even if it's not, there are lots of ways you could get a "this is my phone number." response: maybe they forgot to paste the number in, or thought the number was in their email signature, or assumed they were sending a text instead of an email somehow, or some other act of inattention or ignorance.

but i'm struggling to come up with a reason why you would make a reservation system that requires a phone number in order to result in a valid reservation not actually have that phone number be required or validated, a thing that takes generously a couple of minutes to do in google forms, but instead decide to waste the staff's time tracking down numbers individually, and be so bad at this that you have customers showing up assuming that they have reservations but do not (is there a reason you can't collect them at the site as part of the pick up, even?) other than "the reservation system is bad."

like not to get all don norman-y but, sure, yes, there exist stupid people, sure, but even smart people can act stupid, and there's a tipping point where if you have enough people screwing up at what should be a simple task you have to start blaming bad design rather than just stupid people

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

"This is my phone number", aka "Your form didn't require the phone number, so screw you [in the general 2nd person plural] I don't want more spam calls"

vvv: right, and that fact supports what people are saying - that the form and/or system are fundamentally broken

Sentient Data has a new favorite as of 18:48 on Dec 29, 2023

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tree Goat posted:

but i'm struggling to come up with a reason why you would make a reservation system that requires a phone number in order to result in a valid reservation not actually have that phone number be required or validated

The rental tracking system does require a phone number. This is why we ask the customer for their phone number. So that we can put it into the rental system.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

CainFortea posted:

The rental tracking system does require a phone number. This is why we ask the customer for their phone number. So that we can put it into the rental system.

great! then the reservation system should also require one! and if it lets the customer submit without one, you've hosed up!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CainFortea posted:

Required on the web form. You know, so if they don't put it in it throws an error and puts the phone number field in red.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

CainFortea posted:

The key thing is, the step where the customer inputs their information shouldn't allow them to send the form without including a phone number, regardless of what the process looks like on your side afterwards. Allowing a reservation to be created successfully with a hidden failure state is a dick move.

Unless you don't use a form and instead require customers to write a manual email with all the information, which is a horrible system if you need the data to be uniform and complete, and in that case - for crying out loud, create a form for people to fill out

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 18:53 on Dec 29, 2023

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tree Goat posted:

great! then the reservation system should require one! and if it lets you submit without one, you've hosed up!

This is very typical of the kinds of things I run into doing this job. You don't know what's going on, and apply what is pretty rational thinking to problems that are pretty different in an industry where I'm not actually selling anything and most of the assumptions are different. I've had people yelling and screaming at me to explain why I didn't charge them money when they took the items.

Here's the workflow.

Customer fills out a form on the webpage that sends us an email. This form requests their phone number. We usually go back and forth half a dozen times answering questions about pricing and things, we ask them details they didn't know we needed to answer their questions and so on. Then usually a few days later they email us back asking us to place a reservation.

Assuming we have all the details we need, we then open up the rental system and make the reservation.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Nothing about what you've said contradicts what others have been saying, but it seems like you're taking it personally for some reason. Nobody's saying anything about you or things that are under your control to change. People just correctly pointed out the system is crap in its current state, end of sentence

Sentient Data has a new favorite as of 19:00 on Dec 29, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CainFortea posted:

Customer fills out a form on the webpage that sends us an email. This form requests their phone number.

So you have their phone number, then. What's the problem?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Sentient Data posted:

Nothing about what you've said contradicts what others have been saying, but it seems like you're taking it personally for some reason. Nobody's saying anything about you or things that are under your control to change. People just correctly pointed out the system is crap in its current state, end of sentence

I'm curious as to what you read that indicated I was taking it personally. I was just commenting that this is a common issue. This is one of the many reasons why we don't just have a webform to fill out to generate reservations. Many people don't get how this works. Because people don't really rent stuff all that often so it's not like they have a lot of experience with it.

Anyway, i've said plenty that contradicts what others are saying. I just figured most of ya'all are making assumptions instead of taking me literally. I mean, just 2 weeks ago I had a phone conversation with someone trying to make changes to their order. I couldn't find it. She said she'd been emailing someone. I asked her what the last email we sent her said. She replied "It said that I needed to send in my phone number to make the reservation"

I asked her "Did you reply with your phone number?"

"No. I thought thought the reservation was done."

Anyway this whole posting convo reminded me to go ask him if he figured out how to make the phone number bit required and he hadn't. But he did add an astericks to the field and every email since then has actually included a phone number which is kind of funny. He said he figured out how to make the field required, but couldn't figure out how to add a separate phone number field so he'd just changed the name field to "name and phone number". I pointed at the button that said "add". So that's fixed now.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this is starting to feel like "my sister pretended to put her hair in a ponytail so she enjoyed it (and i didn't take a shower)" poo poo, jesus christ.

1. if you need the customer's phone number, make it a required part of the form
2. if you can't link their initial contact request and their rental agreement together, make the phone number required on both forms
3. if the process is annoying to your customers, come up with a better flow
3. your boss' son web dev is incompetent because all of these issues could be fixed in like 15 minutes by a smart high schooler

aaaagh

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

this is starting to feel like "my sister pretended to put her hair in a ponytail so she enjoyed it (and i didn't take a shower)" poo poo, jesus christ.

1. if you need the customer's phone number, make it a required part of the form
2. if you can't link their initial contact request and their rental agreement together, make the phone number required on both forms
3. if the process is annoying to your customers, come up with a better flow
3. your boss' son web dev is incompetent because all of these issues could be fixed in like 15 minutes by a smart high schooler

aaaagh

I will remind you the original context this came up with was about customers not reading stuff. Which I supplied examples for. It doesn't matter at all if the field is required or not in that context.
It's not like I defended not requiring the phone number in the field. I thought it was dumb too.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

in their defense every second you have to think about crm is definitely counted against you in the book of life

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CainFortea posted:

I will remind you the original context this came up with was about customers not reading stuff. Which I supplied examples for. It doesn't matter at all if the field is required or not in that context.

yes it absolutely does the html "required" flag prevents them from submitting the page until it is filled out. you can even program it to only accept properly formatted telephone numbers so that e.g. "this is my phone number" will not work

AAAAAAAAAAAAGH

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

PYF awful/funny graphs and charts: :supaburn:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

yes it absolutely does the html "required" flag prevents them from submitting the page until it is filled out. you can even program it to only accept properly formatted telephone numbers so that e.g. "this is my phone number" will not work

AAAAAAAAAAAAGH

What are you talking about? Is this a bit about how people don't read things?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ah, the Piss Belt

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

ftfy

source

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Top Countries

Source

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

I was about to say that you should be using

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_highest_major_summits_of_the_United_States

Turns out it's the same states.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Huh, I didn't know Oregon wasn't in the top ten. And I would've thought Mt. Hood would rank in peak elevations, but it's barely a piddling 11er. Learning something in this thread, what a strange feeling!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

:colbert: Fixed. Lines of latitude are curved on this projection; Oregon and South Dakota both have land further north than anything in New York or Vermont. (Wyoming misses out on this party by barely a mile.)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Captain Hygiene posted:

Huh, I didn't know Oregon wasn't in the top ten. And I would've thought Mt. Hood would rank in peak elevations, but it's barely a piddling 11er. Learning something in this thread, what a strange feeling!

It beats California and Hawai‘i in mean elevation though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/TheEditorDiary/status/1742939764003893567

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Absurd use of chart type, nonexistent data in the top spot, I love it :five:

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Who did they survey in Israel and when did they do it?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Kantesu posted:

Who did they survey in Israel and when did they do it?

According to the report, a statistically representative demographic sample of people living in Israel over a period of three years between 2020 and 2022. They then averaged the results of those three years.

https://worldhappiness.report/ed/2023/world-happiness-trust-and-social-connections-in-times-of-crisis/#ranking-of-happiness-2020-2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol that New Zealand barely squeaks onto the superpodium