Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pierson posted:

Huh I have Noita and my understanding was that yeah there's a huge amount of wands and powders but they're all randomply-generated/-awarded? Will need to check it out again if it has crafting stuff because I did love the insane geometry-deformation and fluid-pixel thing it had going on.

The core of Noita's gameplay is that the wands consist of a set order of spells and modifiers that you can "program" yourself once you reach a checkpoint between levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Pierson posted:

Huh I have Noita and my understanding was that yeah there's a huge amount of wands and powders but they're all randomply-generated/-awarded? Will need to check it out again if it has crafting stuff because I did love the insane geometry-deformation and fluid-pixel thing it had going on.

The world and its contents are procedurally generated, yes. You find wands with random spells on them, and you can remove those spells from the wands and rearrange them as you see fit. It's a very good game, but it's not really a game about building stuff out of base ingredients.

There is an alchemy system in the game, but all of the recipes are randomized each playthrough, and there's no in-game hints to tell you what they are. So sometimes you get a game where mixing mud and swamp water gives you Midas Draught, which turns everything into gold...but more usually it'll be something like "combine frozen gas and vomit to make worm blood".

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Noita is also a hosed up kind of game that has more "secret" than "non-secret" content.

The actual dungon up to the final boss is tiny compared to everything you can find if you went in any direction other than the one you meant to go.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Not to mention the eyes puzzle, which is a cryptographic nightmare no one has been able to make much progress on for years.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If I want to play a space combat game that's not some kind of shooter, is there anything out there between Battlefleet Gothic and...uhh...Children of a Dead Earth?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jack Trades posted:

If I want to play a space combat game that's not some kind of shooter, is there anything out there between Battlefleet Gothic and...uhh...Children of a Dead Earth?
*sighs sadly in SOTS1*

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
FTL? There's bound to be some FTL-likes.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

Rebel Galaxy

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Space Station 13

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

lol
Conflicks - Revolutionary Space Battles

Homeworld
AI War 1 and 2
Crying Suns
Battlestar Galactica Deadlock
Holy Potatoes! We’re in Space?!
Space Run

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't really know how Children of a Dead Earth plays, but I saw "orbital mechanics" and that makes me think of Star Control.

anilEhilated posted:

FTL? There's bound to be some FTL-likes.

There's a few, but the only one I know of that is just straight up doing another space combat game is Space Team (and the devs did a much better and more thoughtful job on the game Bomber Team, which also has some realism).

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Jack Trades posted:

Comedy option: Terra Invicta. You'll need to do so much before you even get ships your flying around though.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Are there any high quality classical platformers I could pick up in the Steam Sale? Not a metroidvania, not an extreme suffering & systems mastery game, not storygame just using platforming as its medium or a puzzle platformer, just like a Mario style game with good running and jumping and enough difficulty to stimulating?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

No Dignity posted:

Are there any high quality classical platformers I could pick up in the Steam Sale? Not a metroidvania, not an extreme suffering & systems mastery game, not storygame just using platforming as its medium or a puzzle platformer, just like a Mario style game with good running and jumping and enough difficulty to stimulating?

I really liked Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair (difficulty jumps wildly at the titular final level, but otherwise it's reasonably chill)

Sonic Generations is a solid Sonic game (50% 2d levels)

Raymans are pretty decent

The General
Mar 4, 2007

No Dignity posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/792710/Levelhead_Platformer_Maker/

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

No Dignity posted:

The remastered Crash Bandicoot trilogy is 60% off right now

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

No Dignity posted:

Grapple Dog, maybe

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

No Dignity posted:

Seems almost too obvious to mention Shovel Knight? I mean there's a kind of excuse story but it's minimal and mostly skippable. And a really well designed platformer. But if you're interested in the genre I assume you played it to death many years ago

e: I guess it's kind of sort of Metroidvania-ish, you buy upgrades and poo poo

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Shovel Knight is very good, go for the Treasure Trove to have fun with Plague Knight, Specter Knight, and King Knight as well.

For 3D platformers, there's A Hat in Time that is doing its best to be Mario 64. Or Spyro, that's a classic.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Shovel Knight also includes an NES style Super Smash Bros. mode that's actually a pretty drat fun way to kill a few minutes.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

No Dignity posted:

New Super Lucky's Tale

Vibrant Venture

Ynglet

Spyro™ Reignited Trilogy

Sonic Mania

A Hat In Time

Castle of Illusion

Freedom Planet

Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure

The General
Mar 4, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Shovel Knight is very good, go for the Treasure Trove to have fun with Plague Knight, Specter Knight, and King Knight as well.

For 3D platformers, there's A Hat in Time that is doing its best to be Mario 64. Or Spyro, that's a classic.

I sold my switch the other year, and Shovel Knight is what I miss most. I could get it again on PC, but I'm cheap ―\_(ツ)_/―

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Thank you for all the recs, I have played most of the bigger names there already but a few of those Indies look interesting! Grapple Dog looks like a game based around the Worms ninja rope mechanic? I think I'll try that out

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I forgot to mention

Corn Kidz 64

Spark The Electric Jester

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Looking for a game rec:
• Online multiplayer with matchmaking/quickplay preferred (Just throw me in with some randos)
• No FPS controls
• No gamepad
• No Activision/Blizzard/King
• Not full of necessary MTX

I particularly enjoy
• ARPGs - I haven't seen a good multiplayer one since Marvel Heroes died (D3/PoE are just so bad for multiplayer)
• Slay the Spire and other Roguelike Deckbuilders - I love Across the Obelisk, but if the homies aren't around, there's really no multiplayer, since there's no matchmaking/quickplay.
• Board games
• I used to really like RTSes, MOBAs, and Borderlands looter/shooters, but I don't think I have the reflexes to do that anymore.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Play an Air Raider in Earth Defense Force.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

No Dignity posted:

I just finished Pseudoregalia yesterday and I'm here to post about it. it is not on sale but it is also $6 so whatever https://store.steampowered.com/app/2365810/Pseudoregalia/

it's just a love letter to PS1/64 platformers that plays way tighter than any of those games ever did, and even the hardest optional challenges are easier than what a lot of modern indie platforms like to casually throw at players. i thought it would be some kind of Super Meat Boy-esque really hard game but instead it just has a lot of extra movement tech you can totally ignore unless you're a speedrunner. also very generous health system and checkpointing

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019
Whats a game like rising storm 2 ? Im getting burnt out on the finals, and battlebit before the finals

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Cobalt Core is space combat, technically.

i3lueHorneT
Jun 26, 2010
Any recent recs for Mirror's Edge like movement games?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

i3lueHorneT posted:

Ghostrunner is free on EGS right now.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

i3lueHorneT posted:

Dying Light maybe if you're okay with zombies and horror? If you've been keeping up with EGS you might have it already too. There's also the sequel but that is less well reviewed, and if you're buying, also significantly more expensive.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Artelier posted:

Dying Light maybe if you're okay with zombies and horror? If you've been keeping up with EGS you might have it already too. There's also the sequel but that is less well reviewed, and if you're buying, also significantly more expensive.

I think dying light 2 is one of those things where the devs are still adding poo poo no man's sky style so it may be better now than it was at launch.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Looking for more stuff with the gameplay of Archvale and, more recently, Tiny Rogues - top-down ARPG-lites with lots of MMO-raid-like bullet patterns to learn. Gonna call out Ikaruga, TVRUHH, and your various Touhous as not quite what I'm looking for, both for the lack of gear etc. to improve and for the camera not being character-fixed. Genre otherwise doesn't matter much, except to say I've already played much in the modern roguelike genre that might fit (Enter the Gungeon, Nuclear Throne, MonolithStar of Providence, etc.)

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Ciaphas posted:

Looking for more stuff with the gameplay of Archvale and, more recently, Tiny Rogues - top-down ARPG-lites with lots of MMO-raid-like bullet patterns to learn. Gonna call out Ikaruga, TVRUHH, and your various Touhous as not quite what I'm looking for, both for the lack of gear etc. to improve and for the camera not being character-fixed. Genre otherwise doesn't matter much, except to say I've already played much in the modern roguelike genre that might fit (Enter the Gungeon, Nuclear Throne, MonolithStar of Providence, etc.)

Rabi-Ribi and the more recent TEVI, while being 2D platformers instead of top-down, might fit the bill, being metroidvanias that have a heavy focus on bullet-hell mechanics, gearing up, and bosses with crazy patterns.

Even more so than above, The Knight Witch is a bullet-hell focused metroidvania ARPG: not top-down but you are flying about so it technically is.

It's not out yet, but Rabbit and Steel is an action roguelike that aims to provide a MMO raid experience through bullet-hell mechanics. Could maybe check out their previous title Maiden and Spell.

Not sure what kind of state it's in nowadays, but Realm of the Mad God would be a pretty close fit.

Other than that, some other games that might fit but are a bit different would be The Hammerwatch Series, Wizard of Legend, The Magicka Series, One Step From Eden, CRYPTARK, Voidigo and Holocure.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 1, 2024

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Jack Trades posted:

I’m also playing rogue trader and want more of the ship combat.

Turn based, facings, multiple captain ships on both sides.

Like Star Wars: Armada on the table top

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Naramyth posted:

I’m also playing rogue trader and want more of the ship combat.

Turn based, facings, multiple captain ships on both sides.

Like Star Wars: Armada on the table top

Yeah, I really liked the space combat in Rogue Trader even if it's a bit simple. Very cool combat system that I haven't really seen before.

Fortunately one of the announced DLC is going to expand on the space combat, IIRC.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Do oldschool inertial spaceflight games count as "not a shooter"? E.g. Transcendence, naev, Endless Sky.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Starward Rogue, maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

FutureCop posted:

Rabi-Ribi and the more recent TEVI, while being 2D platformers instead of top-down, might fit the bill, being metroidvanias that have a heavy focus on bullet-hell mechanics, gearing up, and bosses with crazy patterns.

Even more so than above, The Knight Witch is a bullet-hell focused metroidvania ARPG: not top-down but you are flying about so it technically is.

It's not out yet, but Rabbit and Steel is an action roguelike that aims to provide a MMO raid experience through bullet-hell mechanics. Could maybe check out their previous title Maiden and Spell.

Not sure what kind of state it's in nowadays, but Realm of the Mad God would be a pretty close fit.

Other than that, some other games that might fit but are a bit different would be The Hammerwatch Series, Wizard of Legend, The Magicka Series, One Step From Eden, CRYPTARK, Voidigo and Holocure.

drat Rabbit and Steel is such a cool idea for a game, FF14 dances with top down shooter mechanics looks so fun!