Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

happyhippy posted:

I'M SORRY I CANT HEAR YOU AS I'M ON THE MOON DRIVING MY LAMBO1

Got to laugh at the 'It has a 5% of dropping and there are only 4 in existence' part.
Dude has no loving idea.

There's only 4 in existence but there's 10000 flavors of the item that are procedurally generated with meaningless differences

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

SettingSun posted:

Yes my favorite thing to do in games. Instead of just grinding in one game get better at that game it’s considered a feature of the future to grind in 8 games to get good at one game.

It’s because their lives suck and they have largely failed to meet the life milestones that society taught them they should have hit by their 30s/40s.

Seriously you can rewrite that to basically be about studying for a degree, advancing through a career, earning money, buying a house, etc.

Their lives are stalled and rather than be mad at both the personal failings and structural problems in society that have led them there they are focusing on the one thing they think they are good at - video games - and hoping for a long term meta-progression that has RL implications.

Basically it’s the people who unironically cite their steam level and Xbox gamer score and wish that getting cheevos in games translated to real life success.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
But BBOY360 stole my girl at the bar, my cheevos couldn't compare to his :(

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Me, leaning on the wall alone at a party: Lol they don't know I own the only Mario NFT in Mario Kart

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Putting aside the infeasiblity of it all, nothing about this sounds like fun at all.

SterlingSylver
Feb 20, 2007
I feel like the only possible developers that would want to enable such a shitshow would be the most predatory and vile game developers around. They're only getting that 5% drop rate because they bought the Moon Edition of another game and got the magical McGuffin after paying for boosts which they then forged on a Premium server with 5 other freemium (read: premium) items which they paid for in yet another game. Now to play your game, you get to buy all the games and play those games! Hope you bought the battlepasses! Wait till the next expansion cycle requires you to rebuy them all because that warp core is no longer best in slot, thus devaluing all your NFTs and bankrupting you because you probably leveraged your life savings to get those phat loot trinkets. Neal Stephenson's creepy RMT MMORPG from Reamde is not something to aspire to.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Sentient Data posted:

To be fair, stallion83 stole her from BBoy360 right after you, cheevos talk.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

dr_rat posted:

Also it makes sense that people saying that game items could be put on blockchain stuff and used in other games don't know much about games, as you look at nearly ever art NFT investor, and read what they say about it, they care gently caress all about art. It's just trying to make a new thing to invest in, who cares what it is, or if it good/serves any purpose. The key thing is, is it new enough they can get on the ground floor of a new big investment.

This is a thing that sucks in general and seems like if it could be addressed societal collapse could be slowed down considerably

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

The Saints Row guys are gonna be rich because people will want that purple dildo bat in EVERYTHING

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
So the part people are missing in why do NFT bros think this makes sense is how NFT projects ostensibly function in practice.

In NFT projects, the way the devs make their money is by selling the mint of tokens. Unless your project has some unbelievable hype around it, you don't do this at once during the initial minting. You're going to hang around for a few weeks or months, gradually offloading the tokens to new buyers. But during that time you cannot just do nothing: if you don't keep the hype going, if the project does not seem dynamic and promising, it's going to sputter out and die. Sure, that's quite an acceptable outcome for you anyway - you're going to make off with thousands of dollars even if you sell just a handful of ape jpegs (or at least you could do that before Line Goes Up, I'd presume the prices aren't as favourable nowadays), but that'd still be leaving a bunch of cash on the table. You want to sell as many as you can before you peace out. And the way you do that is by "creating value," meaning price manipulation. Speculation, promises, and pie-in-the-sky roadmaps are good before you've started, but once the rubber has hit the road you need that line to be going up. How do you do that? Pumping by coordinated buys, obnoxious advertising and spam, and burning part of the unsold mint to create artificial scarcity.

(Of course, your dream scenario is to end up in a Yuga Labs position where you become an NFT household name and the rubes will buy whatever you poo poo out, at which point your "business model" switches from minting tokens to grifting their holders with mutants and dookie dashes and impromptu lasik conventions, but your tactics remain surprisingly similar.)

NFT people understand on a fundamental level the Ponzi scheme nature of this environment, even if they're not honest about it even with themselves in many cases, and even if many of them lack any real context to realise most environments (like video games) don't work this way - put a pin in this for the moment. But that understanding is clear in how they operate and what they postulate.

So in their eyes, if you're a company that makes a video game where NFTs function as, say, items, you will actively pursue the ability to put them in other people's games. That's creating utility, that's increasing the value of the tokens so that your "NFT investors" can get a return, which makes sense, since then you can mint more tokens and command a higher price for them, so you make money. Conversely, let's say the actual item stats are not inherent to the NFT, but maintained by the game itself and the NFT only governs ownership. If the devs mint an NFT of an in-game item that's hideously overpowered, it would be insanity for them to nerf it. This is what the "won't be patched out" part that someone raised a little upthread refers to. After all, if you actually reduce the utility of the NFT, that's wrecking "investor" confidence, driving down the NFT price, and hurting your own bottom line. Right? Not only that, but you will balance your game further in such a way that the overpowered item remains consistently, if not increasingly overpowered, since if the items in the future will be better than the ones available now, why would people buy in right now instead of waiting? Why would they purchase the items on the secondary market instead of waiting for better stuff to drop? And that would drive down prices, which would hurt your bottom line, etc. etc.

This all makes sense in the context of NFT projects, where the product is, in spite of claims to the contrary, pretty fungible by virtue of being vapid and only relevant as an investment vehicle, which means it's extremely cheap to mass produce by simply telling a generative algorithm to make more. There's next to no labour or extra cost involved (for the developer) once you have your jpeg parts. It requires no further maintenance. But video games, especially online games, are definitely not like that. This is what the NFT bros fail (or pretend to fail) to notice. Any asset added to a video game requires a ton of work, and work costs money. Moreover, if something is an item in a game, then it has a function and some form of impact on the game; if, then, the game becomes worse by the virtue of that item being in it, the game will fail and future NFTs will lose that utility and become worthless anyway, so a game dev can't hope to maintain that hype-based demand for their NFTs. This is in stark contrast to your typical ape jpeg, which by definition has no actual utility and any utility linked to it is completely divorced from what that ape actually is. This all means that the business model of a typical NFT project can't work in video games (or indeed any field where you create something of use), but NFT advocates talk like it should and it would. This is the fundamental source of the disconnect between the NFT proposition and what anyone who is not completely brain poisoned by defi can see.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
what ever happen to the two "big" nft games?

that lovely ape sewer diving game that was easy to cheat at and that lovely pokemon auto rpg that had troubling neo colonialism vibes.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

PhazonLink posted:

that lovely ape sewer diving game that was easy to cheat at and that lovely pokemon auto rpg that had troubling neo colonialism vibes.

the ape sewer game was like a limited time thing where whoever got the highest score won a prize. I don't know if the prize ever got payed out though, since its incredibly boring to look up.

I guess the sewer game did give us the toilet room that cooked people's skin and eyes with powerful UV lights so that's a plus.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Axie Infinity's sliminess became really visible in the public eye which is a problem for what is effectively a pyramid scheme. Its token was also hacked and drained in 2022 severely damaging the economy. The value of SLP now is $0.003 and less than 250k players still play the game (from a few million). Which admittedly is a lot.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I had completely forgotten about Dookie Dash, which explains why there was a toilet room at the ape convention.

I thought that the Axie hack had no actual effect on the economy of the game because nobody noticed it until well after the fact? Or the hacker shorted the token on the assumption that the value would crater in the wake of the hack announcement that never came because the people in charge didn't notice. Something to that effect.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I have some very bad news regarding the saints row devs....

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

SettingSun posted:

Me, leaning on the wall alone at a party: Lol they don't know I own the only Mario NFT in Mario Kart

:sad:

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
BREAKING NEWS

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

I hope this doesn’t become the new Rick roll.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

:argh:

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

dr_rat posted:

Nah there's also difficulty in implementation. Anything other than skins runs into balance issues, and the more different games that took it up the more this would be an issue. Skins/weapon/character models (could have just a skin unless everyone decide oh yeah why don't we all just use the same character/weapon model, that won't be limiting at all!!!), first if your not running on the same engine your probably going to have at least some issues and even on the same engine different games will of modified it in different ways, and use different rendering features and have different art styles, and just it would be a huge pain. Like I'm sure you could make it happen if developers/publishers really wanted to but it would be a lot of effort and yeah that goes to the second point.
i was going to say, i meant the programming of it, but then i thought of it some more. i would not want to be the person designing the underlying architecture of this monstrosity. even if i was into nfts and exchanging them in different video games, designing something that would work for all video games would be a huge pain in the butt.

the whole reskinning/character/models... that also is difficult but the solution to that is to throw money at that. it is feasible but expensive.

anyways yeah, none of it is _worth_ the effort to say the least. company's wouldn't make money off this.

Cyrano4747 posted:

It’s because their lives suck and they have largely failed to meet the life milestones that society taught them they should have hit by their 30s/40s.

Seriously you can rewrite that to basically be about studying for a degree, advancing through a career, earning money, buying a house, etc.

Their lives are stalled and rather than be mad at both the personal failings and structural problems in society that have led them there they are focusing on the one thing they think they are good at - video games - and hoping for a long term meta-progression that has RL implications.

Basically it’s the people who unironically cite their steam level and Xbox gamer score and wish that getting cheevos in games translated to real life success.

you agreed not to leak my dms.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Tevery Best posted:

impromptu lasik conventions

:lmao: that whole fiasco will never get old.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

istewart posted:

The Saints Row guys are gonna be rich because people will want that purple dildo bat in EVERYTHING

GOD drat IT! NFTs could have saved Volition.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I'm just going to flat out assume, without looking, that modders have put the purple dildo bat into skyrim.

Really don't want to search "purple dildo weapon" on Nexus, though.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm just going to flat out assume, without looking, that modders have put the purple dildo bat into skyrim.

Really don't want to search "purple dildo weapon" on Nexus, though.

coward.

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

maybe if you were better at breakdancing this wouldn't have happened

e: or worse? i forgot how the formula works

freemandela fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 29, 2023

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Boxturret posted:

I remember they were talking about how you could have your plane tickets and concert tickets as nfts and people would buy them...for some reason.

concert tickets are already NFTs, without the blockchain

you will often buy a ticket, get a code in email (which is a hash) and you show that to them at the door and they cross it off the list

first had this in 2017

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Inquiring minds in the Symbiogenesis discord are asking the important questions:

The current offers for the NFTs are 0.32 eth which is currently valued at about $730. Their only in game function is they offer holder exclusive hints to solve some of the game missions (which are all object hunts, lmao).

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

SettingSun posted:

How will season 1 NFT's keep value in season 2?

That's the neat part...

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

PhazonLink posted:

Was it the second one where the CAPTAINS OF INDUSTRY hired peasants from asia to farm that poo poo for hours for them?
Or was that a bitcoin only game.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

happyhippy posted:

Was it the second one where the CAPTAINS OF INDUSTRY hired peasants from asia to farm that poo poo for hours for them?
Or was that a bitcoin only game.

Yeah I think that was axie infinity.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Tevery Best posted:

Conversely, let's say the actual item stats are not inherent to the NFT, but maintained by the game itself and the NFT only governs ownership. If the devs mint an NFT of an in-game item that's hideously overpowered, it would be insanity for them to nerf it. This is what the "won't be patched out" part that someone raised a little upthread refers to. After all, if you actually reduce the utility of the NFT, that's wrecking "investor" confidence, driving down the NFT price, and hurting your own bottom line. Right? Not only that, but you will balance your game further in such a way that the overpowered item remains consistently, if not increasingly overpowered, since if the items in the future will be better than the ones available now, why would people buy in right now instead of waiting?

You're kind of describing Magic: The Gathering here.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

SettingSun posted:

Inquiring minds in the Symbiogenesis discord are asking the important questions:

The current offers for the NFTs are 0.32 eth which is currently valued at about $730. Their only in game function is they offer holder exclusive hints to solve some of the game missions (which are all object hunts, lmao).

so what if i copypaste that jpeg post that hint on gamefaqs or whatever?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Cyrano4747 posted:

There’s a reason why every 3rd anime is about some sexless loser who gets teleported to a fantasy world that coincidentally works exactly like his favorite game. It’s an extremely common escapist fantasy these days.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

divabot posted:

concert tickets are already NFTs, without the blockchain

you will often buy a ticket, get a code in email (which is a hash) and you show that to them at the door and they cross it off the list

first had this in 2017

Yeah but have you ever considered that you could SELL that digital ticket after the show is over? WELL!?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Gutcruncher posted:

Yeah but have you ever considered that you could SELL that digital ticket after the show is over? WELL!?

Imagine if it was a really popular concert, you could make a profit off it!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
didnt some no body techno djs already try that?

drat I bet the nft of their event is worth more their Swift or Beyoncé. like several orders of magnitude more right.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

SettingSun posted:

I went looking to see if I could find a video of Symbiogenesis gameplay on Youtube and there just... isn't one. Although if the game is only hidden object hunts, I guess there isn't really anything to record.

One guy posted a 17-minute guide to one of the missions. If you complete it you win a whole... wait for it... two dollars! In crypto!! Just do that 364 more times and you'll have paid off the cost of the NFT you had to buy to play the game in the first place!

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

The Bible posted:

You're kind of describing Magic: The Gathering here.

I'm not particularly well-versed in MTG balance and only vaguely aware of their complicated history with card resellers, but isn't it the birthplace of the term 'power creep?' And also they regularly cycle cards out and ban them, because their incentive structure is actually dramatically different from an NFT company?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

lol remember when people were buying and selling “moments”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I have not kept up with the scene in ages, but the reason for cycling the card set isn't just "so we can make you buy new cards." It's also "this way we can design cards while thinking about the past two years of precedent, and not worrying we'll accidentally turn some piece of poo poo from 1998 into a must-have god card because it's part of the wombo combo."

The major thing I know about their relationship with card resellers is that they put out a list of cards called the Reserve List which they will never reprint. Mark Rosewater, who held the office of Head Dude, has called it one of the biggest mistakes they ever made.