Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

repiv posted:

i will click on it but keep shaking my head the whole time it's playing so people don't think i agree with being canadian

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

theultimo posted:

CS 1.6 beta players is what pre October 2003 steam accounts were made for
Wait what now?

Mine is from first half of September 2003 and I despised CS all my life.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

My Steam account is as old as my friend gifting me a "Blue Box" code (basically the Orange Box sans HL2 and Episode 1) that I couldn't really use because my PC at the time was an all-in-one Compaq from 2005 with integrated graphics

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Combat Pretzel posted:

Wait what now?

Maybe you got it at release as an alternative to WON or to simplify HL1 patching ? There was little else at launch.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Wait what now?

SlowBloke posted:

Maybe you got it at release as an alternative to WON or to simplify HL1 patching ? There was little else at launch.

IIRC if you signed up during the beta you got all the Valve Goldsrc games for free since they hadn't implemented payments yet and wanted to make sure people had a library to test with. Edit: maybe you had to put in your existing CD key?

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 29, 2023

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Very first entry in my activations.

Says complementary, too. Whatever that means.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I think there was a period very early on where they gave you all the Valve games free for making a Steam account. I had one of those, but forgot the login for it and made my current one years later.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Got it from a video card? That's where I got mine.

I actually lost access to my account, and got it back by providing them with the activation code for that.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
IIRC at public access all there was was HL1 and various free mods. I don't think OpFor and BlueShift came along until later. So an HL1 CD key inherently got you everything there was on the platform.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the library was so bare early on that it showed every product you could play in the library, including free ones like demos, so when they added popcaps library everyone got mad because they suddenly had 30 casual game demos clogging up their games list

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!

repiv posted:

the library was so bare early on that it showed every product you could play in the library, including free ones like demos, so when they added popcaps library everyone got mad because they suddenly had 30 casual game demos clogging up their games list

This seems like such a quaint problem.

I'm never going to play most of these games, so many of them were humble bundle chaff.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
I'm a little over 20 yrs myself

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Veotax posted:

I think there was a period very early on where they gave you all the Valve games free for making a Steam account. I had one of those, but forgot the login for it and made my current one years later.

During the Steam Beta, you also had access to the CS1.6 beta as well without needing a CD key or anything. I got some of my elementary schoolmates hooked on CS when I shared that information.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

jisforjosh posted:

My Steam account is from September 16, 2003 older than my SA Account, primarily using it for Counter-Strik 1.6 and Day of Defeat 1.3 (retail).

Christ, you're an awld bugger.

quote:

Member since 12 September, 2003.
Well poo poo.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I thought my steam library with 150~ games was a lot, holy moly

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

chaleski posted:

I thought my steam library with 150~ games was a lot, holy moly

I stopped short of 800, i think i have completed less than 10% of my owned.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I think my account is from like 2004 I can’t see it on the app though

Found it

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 30, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I've just been a member since June of 2005. I thought it was earlier, but I unno, maybe I just didn't actually get Steam until Half-Life 2.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

2004 is so far away. It's sad. :(

May 15th - who knows what the hell for.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I’m a 14 sep 2003 steam person. There must have been a reason to do it exactly at that time. IIRC it was to preorder HL2, maybe?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

emdash posted:

I’m a 14 sep 2003 steam person. There must have been a reason to do it exactly at that time. IIRC it was to preorder HL2, maybe?

Yah same day too, must have been some reason like that

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Steam launched on Sept 12, 2003 and by all accounts the servers were completely hosed for days afterwards, so I imagine anyone who created an account during that time period just made their account at the first available opportunity. HL2 was supposed to come out on Sept 30, 2003 so I guess it was to get ready for that.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
HL2 let you preload as well if you'd reordered so for me personally signing up two weeks early was to give me enough time with 2004 Internet speeds to download it

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Fil5000 posted:

HL2 let you preload as well if you'd reordered so for me personally signing up two weeks early was to give me enough time with 2004 Internet speeds to download it
it's crazy that i still can't choose to only download the singleplayer campaign for a game like doom and not get all the multiplayer nonsense

i'm assuming steam have also tried to get developers to do it to save money on egress, but guess it didn't work out

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

kliras posted:

it's crazy that i still can't choose to only download the singleplayer campaign for a game like doom and not get all the multiplayer nonsense

i'm assuming steam have also tried to get developers to do it to save money on egress, but guess it didn't work out

Steam hasn't really, but Sony and Microsoft have tried it to varying degrees of success.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

You've been able to download the Call Of Duty multiplayer solo for a while, and this year the campaign was a preorder bonus which should tell you how important it is to Activision. A few games on Switch will also have the multiplayer as an optional download. The physical release of Doom 2016 just had the campaign on the cart.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I just checked and apparently I signed up for steam 5th of January 2004. I feel like such a johnny come lately.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Fil5000 posted:

I remember it taking hours just to successfully download the unlock key. Those servers must have been positively slammed.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
HL2 is currently in the Steam sale for £0.85 and I'd be interested to see if anybody has purchased it as the entire franchise pre-Alyx feels like it is shovelware at this point.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Theophany posted:

the entire franchise pre-Alyx feels like it is shovelware at this point.

:catstare:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Theophany posted:

HL2 is currently in the Steam sale for £0.85 and I'd be interested to see if anybody has purchased it as the entire franchise pre-Alyx feels like it is shovelware at this point.

It's cheap because everyone already owns it because it's arguably the best video game of all time.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I don't know about best of all time - I'd argue that it has been surpassed at what it does well by other, more modern games. But that doesn't make it a bad game, any more than the existence of more modern boomer shooters makes Doom 2 poo poo.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

yeah id say the halflifes were products of their time, i have a hard time imagining zoomers playing them now and being particularly impressed

portal is much more timeless

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
HL2 kind of bored me at the time (and relatively recently when I tried to play it) because of all the long linear traversal sections. Ravenholm and Nova Prospekt are by far the highlights of the game and they are the most insular and “traditional” parts design-wise. The unskippable “cutscenes” are also excrutiating.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's funny looking back at how the first person cutscenes were lauded at the time but eventually we all got sick of it and Doom 2016 was criticized for doing exactly the same thing

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I don't know about best of all time - I'd argue that it has been surpassed at what it does well by other, more modern games. But that doesn't make it a bad game, any more than the existence of more modern boomer shooters makes Doom 2 poo poo.

Doom 2 is poo poo because Doom 1 is better in every way

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

it's funny looking back at how the first person cutscenes were lauded at the time but eventually we all got sick of it and Doom 2016 was criticized for doing exactly the same thing

Once the tech had advanced to the point where we could, people started to ask whether we should

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

HL2 was the big last gasp of the pre-Halo pc Fps design ethos. Looking back at it, it very much seems like an engine showcase, just that except for modders, most devs chose unreal instead.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

modders only went with source because it was available to them, unreal was still inaccessible to mere mortals at that time

as soon as unreal/unity overhauled their licensing to let people start using it for free it was over for 3rd party use of valves engines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'd also say that Valve Time and Valve ADHD didn't help the Source engine.