Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

cheetah7071 posted:

I feel like you'll be better just playing through you mission tree and beating the ottomans in a fair fight with poland, lithuania, hungary, and bohemia, than trying to kneecap them with a no-CB on byz

Alternately, guarantee/ally/marry them. You can quickly be strong enough to deter the Ottos; and there's a decent chance of getting a PU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

I did this No-CB last night to try it out and it still works pretty well. The Ottomans are now listed as a historical rival to the Austrians so I think they will rival you every game. I restarted 5 or so times just to see but they rivaled me each time.

The main problem I had was actually starting the war to fast. If Byzantium doesn't have any allies, they won't ask for military access from the Ottomans because their fleet is stronger than Austrias and they can transport their troops without military access.

After a couple months Byzantium always allied Serbia, Wallachia, or Herzegovina who would get access from the Ottomans to consolidate there troops with Byzantium so you can reach Constantinople then. I just kept an eye out for the alliance to form and then declared.

One time the Ottomans ended up declaring on Byzantium to and I got into a defensive war, but the second time I sieged Constantinople so fast they didn't even bother to declare war.

Stairmaster posted:

When doing a no-cb like that, do you bother waiting for the adm to make up the stab loss

I just declared whenever and didn't look at having enough admin but I had enough to boost it to -1 immediately and was back at 0 stab by the end of the war.

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 18, 2023

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Especially at the start you will get some piddly rebels anyway, heretics or nobles, so even a negative stab will barely affect you.

atvrager
Jun 15, 2007
fear

Honestly, stab is kinda overrated - kill your rebels for -100 unrest!

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Had an amazing start as France (their mission tree is quite fun, incidentally) - married Burgundy, Castile. Enrique croaked which put me in a War of succession with Burgundy, easily won and due to the occupation, Charles died. Which triggered the succession, which went to me.

And France has a mission to trigger the Marie incident if you get the BI, so I went from nothing to Castile PU and Burgundy and Lowlands integrated by 1460 or so.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Finally knocked out Animal Kingdom :toot:

This one was pretty fun, managed to get Bengal into an early war and cripple them fast, and then after that it was just pinging wars between Jaunpur and Orissa, with Vijay being the final boss for 1 province. Also went Horde because another cheevo and lol look at that manpower (and amount of men in general) in 1566 starting from an opm.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What are some ways to get distant nations to “discover” you? (i.e. lose the “Unknown” attitude”)

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

Jay Rust posted:

What are some ways to get distant nations to “discover” you? (i.e. lose the “Unknown” attitude”)

trade maps

e: they have to be able to see your capital

Box wine fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 20, 2023

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Huh, they finally changed the transfer occupation menu to sort the possible nations alphabetically.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Groke posted:

Huh, they finally changed the transfer occupation menu to sort the possible nations alphabetically.

Also shift clicking provinces. Amazing stuff.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Aethernet posted:

What! :eyepop:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Aethernet posted:

WHAT explain

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
You can shift click a bunch provinces then transfer them all at once to whoever you desire. Much easier than doing it one by one oh my god why did we put up with that.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Box wine posted:

You can shift click a bunch provinces then transfer them all at once to whoever you desire. Much easier than doing it one by one oh my god why did we put up with that.

Jesus Christ I literally got frustrated with a run last night because of this. Thank you paradox

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

The shift click is, together with the auto missionaries and the "can seize territory/can call diet" notifications, the best changes EU4 has had in a few years

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Never forget the time before transfer occupation

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Never forget the time before transfer occupation

Edit: so vital had to post it twice

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Box wine posted:

methinks it's time for another ryukyu wc :D

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Aethernet posted:

Game changer. 10/10 tip.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Steam sales are actually tempting this year. Might get either Domination or Lions of the North. Thoughts?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Both are truly optional which is nice to see from PDX. Get the one that is focused on countries you like.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Aethernet posted:

wait what

MOSTLY it's a crap idea to use transfer occupation in a vassal swarm game because it's better to take provinces for yourself and then hand them to your vassals because that lets you use your own admin efficiency etc. But often you have to do it a bit anyway because it's too long before you can peace out of all wars.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I'm having fun with the Voltaire's Nightmare II mod as England (AEyngland) running laps around the British Isles in 1050. What a fun mod that is

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Getting back into this after several years without playing...

I'm playing as Georgia, have Syria as a vassal and just had the first war with Ottomans (peaced out separately as defensive ally of Hungary who was getting owned). Before I peaced out, Syrian separatists spawned in Haleb which I occupied. In the peace deal I blocked them in thinking I could get those provinces to swap to Syria. It's been 7 years them occupying several Ottoman provinces and not happening. What's the deal? I thought after 5 years it was automatic.

Edit: One of them flipped soon after posting this, then Ottomans got a transport in there and saved the rest.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Dec 23, 2023

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Groke posted:

wait what

MOSTLY it's a crap idea to use transfer occupation in a vassal swarm game because it's better to take provinces for yourself and then hand them to your vassals because that lets you use your own admin efficiency etc. But often you have to do it a bit anyway because it's too long before you can peace out of all wars.

Isn’t it less AE if you’re returning cores directly?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Sri.Theo posted:

Isn’t it less AE if you’re returning cores directly?

Yes it is, albeit not zero. It's also dead handy to split your coring costs between admin and diplo, although unjustified demands also consume a lot of the latter.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Well, as it happens I'm right in the middle of a Ryukyu shogunate world conquest attempt, where neither coring or diplo-annexing costs really matter since I'm not doing much of either, and I'm approaching the point where AE loses relevance as well... assigning ownership of provinces is a very big thing though.

Also you don't have to mess with transfer occupation to return cores, fortunately.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I haven't played this game since 2019.
How are: Domination, Leviathan, Lions of the North, Origins, and King of Kings?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The short answer is probably to spend 5 bucks on one month of the subscription and see for yourself if you like them

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I liked Domination and Lions of the North a lot fwiw

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
King of Kings Persian stuff is good fun and leans heavily into alt-history via mission trees, if that's your thing.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

The short answer is probably to spend 5 bucks on one month of the subscription and see for yourself if you like them

I mean, that’s the money wise option. But I’m curious about how Goons are liking the game these days.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

doingitwrong posted:

I mean, that’s the money wise option. But I’m curious about how Goons are liking the game these days.

Anbennar is really good. When something in Anbennar starts using a DLC mechanic I buy that DLC at the next sale.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

doingitwrong posted:

Oh in that case: I started playing right after Lions came out but all the countries that got touched up in the last few DLC are really fun. The last few DLC are just nothing but mission trees, but they're really good mission trees.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

EU4's in a really nice spot nowadays. I am very happy with PDX Tinto's recent quality and am excited for EU5.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
EU4 is great nowadays. Tinto worked a lot on fixing the old stuff and slowed down feature creep. If you're into mission trees and a more narrative experience there are a lot of countries with guided experience (and also Annennar which gets a lot of praise but be aware you'll like it only if you appreciate the roleplaying of this game as it's very focused on missions and events), and if you aren't there are plenty of others with less guided experience.

It's safe to chose expansions that affect countries you like.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Eu4 is good until 1600ish, then it becomes a hellwar slog that performs like poo poo.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I'd say more like 1700 or so, but if you're not going for WC or similar achievement you can just speed 5 after mostly.

Alternatively: get a better CPU, lol, lmao

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

eu4 becomes a slog at the exact moment when you start to feel that declaring war on spain is your best option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Nah, paradox should optimize their 10 year old game better, also remove regiment camps so the overall troop count in the world is lower.