Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Made his talent work just to get a ratings win.

Or y'know, build to the pape this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hoss Corncave posted:

Looking at the thumbnail for the video, this is obviously a weekly show he's fantasy booking here which will lead to the monthly PPV. However, considering this is a guy who thinks Tony Khan is a terrible booker, why is he then booking a show which gives away big name matches on TV?

The Mobius strip of the fedpilled: Tony gives away too many high profile matches on TV/Tony constantly puts together matches with no names anybody cares about.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

WWE is for people that bullshitted their way to a C- book report. They can't handle that AEW's booking requires some active watching beyond the match preview.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
This the lawyer multiple people are convinced took AEW to the cleaners https://x.com/cutrer35/status/1740808941099987004?s=46&t=AwMtDeZF_tX5DmOd53fE0g

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

i’m sure stephen is a good lawyer like cornette was a successful promoter

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
stephen p new called joey janela jelly nutella and then joey started crying and everybody clapped and the baby looked at me

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

stephen p new called joey janela jelly nutella and then joey started crying and everybody clapped and the baby looked at me

Certainly most of the weird snitch taggers on Twitter who shout this guy out come across as Mrs. Lovejoy saying "Everyone! Turn around and look at this!"

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/s/LmF2Q4IS5g

Tony should really start bank rolling lawsuits against these freaks

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Did they really name their internet radio podcast program after the thing Brucie always says?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Hausman’s clearly gearing up for the “Tony banned me from the pressers” grift because, you know, that’ll go halfway around the world before the explanation of “because you called Chris Jericho a rapist” gets its socks on.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

JUNGLE BOY posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/s/LmF2Q4IS5g

Tony should really start bank rolling lawsuits against these freaks

True or not, I wonder who told him that

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

I think if you put a little pink bow in his hair he’d be called Lil Brooks.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

There is absolutely no doubt that Roger Goodell made his talent work during the holidays solely to get a ratings win against best of shows. Just to stroke his ego.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

To be honest, knowing what the former New York Jets press intern is like, he probably would.

Dude’s one of the greatest heel authority figures and he’s not even in the wrestling biz.

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014

TinTower posted:

Hausman’s clearly gearing up for the “Tony banned me from the pressers” grift because, you know, that’ll go halfway around the world before the explanation of “because you called Chris Jericho a rapist” gets its socks on.

I'm kinda morbidly curious how many of these people can pop up before the market becomes oversaturated with them.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/dawgvandam/status/1740795361302560826?s=46

Imagine saying WWE was beneficial to Progress, ICW, and wXw when NXT UK did as much harm to the British wrestling scene than Speaking Out did.

(At least Britwres has a lot less nonces now.)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

TinTower posted:

https://twitter.com/dawgvandam/status/1740795361302560826?s=46

Imagine saying WWE was beneficial to Progress, ICW, and wXw when NXT UK did as much harm to the British wrestling scene than Speaking Out did.

(At least Britwres has a lot less nonces now.)

https://twitter.com/Pipervalentine/status/1741009799163285827

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

first WWE helped saudi women now they’re moving into Japan.

WWE continues to influence the world

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

https://x.com/DawgVanDam/status/1740967893997949177

Can't believe AEW stole Kyle Fletcher from New Japan, who *checks notes* never offered him a contract even after the FTR match at Royal Quest 2

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Pretty sure Will, Kenny, and Kota have in their contracts that they’re allowed to work Japan.

AEW picks up the megabucks contracts and NJPW gets to borrow AEW main event talent at Wrestle Kingdom/Dominion/Power Struggle/etc; it’s a much more even deal.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Hasn’t Japan been leading the way of women’s wrestling being a draw for like 50 years?

And I wouldn’t read too much into WWE/Stardom. Japan has extreme trepidation toward WWE nowadays.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

At least the past forty. It's no wonder that WWE have gone to the joshi well multiple times since the late 80s to re-legitimise women's wrestling in the West.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 30, 2023

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Women’s wrestling promotions actually predate men’s wrestling as a thing in Japan by a couple of years from what I remember reading, the history of joshi wrestling is loving wild

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I suspect there could be something to the WWE-Stardom stuff - WWE are interested in working with basically everyone not based in the US; they don't have a relationship with anyone really outside Japan and South East Asia (this is where Stardom not working with AEW is particularly notable outside of Utami working a single ROH match when she was in the country anyway for GCW; and AEW signing off on Megan Bayne, who they had no plans for, doing a Stardom tour that Stardom approached her directly for - and Giulia and Momo Kohgo once worked an Impact/NJPW joint show) and if it at the start its like this AJPW stuff they'll do it and back out possibly; you never know. It also easily could be nothing or an attempt to get AEW to talk to them directly (its notable that whenever this comes up at AEW press conferences its always Tony talking about working through the NJPW office and not through Stardom/Bushiroad Fight; and also seems to be a late in the day thing).

fart blood posted:

Hasn’t Japan been leading the way of women’s wrestling being a draw for like 50 years?

If you go right back there's evidence in the US of women's wrestling drawing (Mildred Burke drew some big crowds during her peak run - although as we're talking late 30s-mid 50s we're reliant on newspaper reporting so some might be questionable) but that died out (combination of Burke being hosed over by the NWA and Billy Wolfe; I think also weirdly society shifting against it more in the 50s than before might have been a factor as well) and then Japan really was the place that took it more seriously - although really only at a major level from the 1970s first with Mach Fumiake and then the Beauty Pair - the latter really being the pattern than Joshi wrestling tried to follow for a long time afterwards (and really only as successfully once with the Crush Gals). Its worth noting that this was also a walled garden in terms of fans mostly - a big part of why AJW was so dominated by young female fans in the late 70s/80s was because they were successful at marketing to that group but also because existing male wrestling fans saw AJW as a bit of a joke thing for wee girls and not real wrestling: the story Dave Meltzer tells is that when he first went to Japan Terry Funk recommended that he go to AJW because it was better than the male promotions but the other wrestlers in NJPW/AJPW at the time saw it as girls stuff and not credible. They didn't really break through with existing wrestling fans until the 90s when they started working the Universal lucha shows (which were sort of also the start of a chain that results in Michinoku Pro and Dragon Gate being a thing) where AJW sent talent to work and they got over there; which was very helpful for AJW because by 1990/91 they were in a big decline after Nagayo/Asuka/Matsumoto all retire within 18 months and they haven't really got a replacement babyface star or an established top heel at that level (they tried - top feud in 1990 into 1991 was Bull Nakano as top babyface against a green Aja Kong as top heel and they do a bunch of really sick, violent matches including one of the best cage escape matches I've seen) so opening up their fanbase to this new group (and getting more mainstream wrestling press coverage) was great.

It also only lasted like three or four years before things were going down fast again; by 1997 AJW weren't paying wrestlers and there was an exodus with almost everyone leaving (and a bunch of new promotions forming); by 2005 AJW and GAEA had gone bust; most of the other promotions had in the years before and Joshi was basically peaking at putting 1,200 in Korakuen Hall outside of a handful of shows that lent heavily on nostalgia. Its recovered since then (and also Japanese men's wrestling has also fallen a fair bit outside of New Japan since then) but I think the contemporary struggles of American women's wrestling and Japanese women's wrestling are more similar than people think sometimes - its worth noting that until Bushiroad bought Stardom the places you could be a full time women's wrestler in Japan were like by being a company ace and taking on a bunch of responsibilities like that; running your own promotion or working on other stuff in the office of the promotion you worked for; or being a freelancer and taking basically every date you can and working as much as possible (examples of this in current wrestling are like Saori Anou, Veny, Miyuki Takase - all wrestling sickos; all taking basically every date they can because of that); and most people were in fact part time with a side job (in TJPW for example; a bunch of those wrestlers worked in the various DDT bars/restaurants). They face a credibility challenge as well (look at the NJPW office not wanting to book women's matches on their shows: that I suspect is more them wanting to satisfy their roster and not have to deal with frustrated people left off cards so wrestlers from another promotion has a slot rather than them not thinking women are credible wrestlers; but there's also evidence that domestic NJPW fans don't want women's wrestling either) plus also it is worth noting that women's wrestlers always have been paid significantly, significantly less well than male counterparts - AJW in the early 90s were running 300 dates a year and selling a bunch of tickets in Yokohama Arena and the Tokyo Dome and the Budokan yet none of that went to the wrestlers really and their main eventers were getting paid less than people low on the card in NJPW or AJPW.

In short; I wouldn't hold up the history of women's wrestling in Japan as positively as some do: its certainly better than American women's wrestling but there are some negatives that I think get overlooked in wider historiography on this (in particular the pay point; and also the dark ages are overlooked and people don't quite know how low things got - to put into context; the oldest active Joshi promotion is OZ Academy which started as a series of Produce shows in 1998 and wasn't really a promotion until 2005; the second and third oldest active are Ice Ribbon and Sendai Girls in 2006; the ones that existed before all died because they went bust.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wasn't the near-mandatory pretty young all things considered retirement age also a big factor in the joshi ups and downs?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Its historically significant; but I don't think massive in terms of ups and downs outside the late 80s decline. It wasn't a thing pre-mid 70s (where Joshi wrestling wasn't that big a thing; and I believe a lot of female relatives of the Matsunaga Brothers ended up working at various points); Mach Fumiake's retirement was to go into acting; Maki Ueda's retirement appears to have been all her decision (she only wrestled for four years; retired at 21); the promotion quite consciously forced Jackie Sato out but I don't think that was an age thing as much as the fact that business fell off hard towards the end of her run as the top solo star and the promotion felt that the next generation would do better so she lost to Jagger and retired the following month (business didn't really change for what its worth). This is historically significant as she was the main person behind JWP forming which didn't have the age restriction or the taboos plus was a place for the many thousands of wrestlers rejected by AJW because they could pick and choose aggressively to try and train for wrestling and that led to LLPW; and then all of the promotions that formed in the 90s. Jaguar Yokota's retirement cost them arguably the best wrestler in the world at her prime (her 90s run is great; and all the more remarkable for the fact that she'd been basically retired for ten years before it) but she was given the head trainer slot and based on the large quantity of people coming out of the AJW dojo in the late 80s that seems to have worked out; Devil Masami was the first person to 'retire' only to almost instantly jump ship to JWP and that one doesn't seem to have hurt AJW but really helped JWP grow so a win-win. By the 90s it was basically dead - although one thing that has always remained is Joshi wrestling being a lot more willing to push people younger and earlier than other places; which sometimes leads to the negative side of this where wrestlers are old and passed it by their mid 30s.

The big one is the late 80s where Dump Matsumoto retires in 1988 (above the retirement age for what its worth - I suspect heels were given a bit more lattitude; plus you had Crane Yu and Yumi Ogura around this time working again after 'retiring' so if they needed to fill cards they'd ignore that) and then Nagayo and Asuka in 1989. Business started to fall off in 1988 after Dump retired because she was so instrumental in the dynamic they had at the time (Bull Nakano took over the group and basically copied what they had been doing for a while to little success; ended up working better when she leaned more on good wrestling than pure heel shtick and that is why she was also a great babyface) but then it fell off hard after Nagayo retired: Asuka was around for a bit but couldn't really keep things shored up. One issue might be that they didn't really put over others on the way out but neither really did anyone since Sato: while Asuka was meant to be a top star from that group Nagayo never was meant to be but ended up the biggest of the lot: so the lesson they appear to have learned is that it doesn't matter if retiring wrestlers put over the next generation. They also were sort of between generations: the group that became big in 1992/93 weren't quite there yet and weren't really ready for that push by late 1989; and so 1990 was basically them leaning heavily on Bull on top and giving the big push to the greener heels where I suspect they thought they could smoke and mirrors things a bit more (and it is great stuff).

This is a lot of words I apologise; something that I care a lot about I guess.

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 30, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

IceAgeComing posted:

Not at all, good effortpost. It's always been something I'm interested but for the longest time I'd run into weird gatekeeping fans who hoard their knowledge like precious gems.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

IceAgeComing posted:

Thanks for that! It's always cool to learn more wrestling history.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Not at all, good effortpost. It's always been something I'm interested but for the longest time I'd run into weird gatekeeping fans who hoard their knowledge like precious gems.

always ask your wrestling questions itt 1st, one of the 20 of us who watched old stuff will answer gladly in depth and with some friendly banter sometimes.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

I too like to start off all my podcasts with 30 seconds of dead air and old memes

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

rotinaj posted:

I too like to start off all my podcasts with 30 seconds of dead air and old memes

It worked for the Pisscast (rip Pisscast)

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol i mean even setting aside the comparisons to other wrestling, comparing them to what the nfl or nba is doing is so nuts

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGrBXxUkKK4

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
that's all 4 types of wrestling fans

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

that's all 4 types of wrestling fans

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
look other than the fact it's unwatchable seizure inducing garbage wwe's production is quite good

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Christ, someone really needs to take Hausman's phone away, because the smug tone in his tweets during the scrum really gives me the ick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The ignorance on display