Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Serephina posted:

Anyone played the new Dune RTS? Steam reviews are nuking it for not having a single player campaign... which to be fair, is kind of a big deal for RTSs and Dune IPs both.

I haven't played it for a bit, but assuming it's not somehow changed massively between two or so months ago and the release... it's ok, but I think being realtime adds very little compared to a hypothetical version that's a turn based 4X. It's just a really bland sort of RTS combat at the core of it, so it ends up taking on the drawbacks of realtime 4X games for not much upside.

If someone goes into it expecting anything like the format of the westwood games they'll be disappointed, that much I'm sure of. Not having a big scripted campaign is entirely acceptable for the kind of game it is, but not so much for what sort of game the audience that wants "a new Dune RTS" probably imagines when they hear those words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Hey, question:

Battle for Middle Earth 1 and 2 are abandonware at this point, so I was going to play them again.

However, I can't remember - does the expansion for BfME2 - Rise of the Witch King - contain everything the base game of BfME2 does (like Civ3 Beyond the Sword does for base Civ3), or is it completely separate (like WC3 TFT)?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Annath posted:

Hey, question:

Battle for Middle Earth 1 and 2 are abandonware at this point, so I was going to play them again.

However, I can't remember - does the expansion for BfME2 - Rise of the Witch King - contain everything the base game of BfME2 does (like Civ3 Beyond the Sword does for base Civ3), or is it completely separate (like WC3 TFT)?
It doesn't contain the campaigns, if that's what you're asking but also it needs the original installed anyways. As always, I'll shill for Age of the Ring, which does let you play its own modified version of the BFME2 campaigns in ROTWK.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Mordja posted:

It doesn't contain the campaigns, if that's what you're asking but also it needs the original installed anyways. As always, I'll shill for Age of the Ring, which does let you play its own modified version of the BFME2 campaigns in ROTWK.

I boycott AotR on principle because the devs abandoned their RotWK HD Model project, and only keeps the mod's ModDB page around to shill AotR.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Annath posted:

I boycott AotR on principle because the devs abandoned their RotWK HD Model project, and only keeps the mod's ModDB page around to shill AotR.

lol ok

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Look man spite is all I have left.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
The new Battle Realms: Zen Edition is completely worth checking out. An underappreciated game with a fascinating economy that just never quite got its due. The company who is working on the new edition seems to care, though to be fair I've only played the campaign since getting it again. The campaigns remain drat fun.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Anybody heard of this? It certainly has the look of TA, though it’s worrying the teaser reel is more of a cutscene https://x.com/indannihilation/status/1726693588317385004?s=46

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm a little wary just from the "From the same people behind Planetary Annihilation" bit. Which was... fine? But definitely not as good as TA or Supreme Commander.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

TGG posted:

The new Battle Realms: Zen Edition is completely worth checking out. An underappreciated game with a fascinating economy that just never quite got its due. The company who is working on the new edition seems to care, though to be fair I've only played the campaign since getting it again. The campaigns remain drat fun.

God drat that's a blast from the past, I'm not sure I'd like this in TYOOL 2023 cause the unit system and whatnot are so bizarre but I loved its aesthetic.
Granted, I haven't tried playing it in years, maybe I could jibe with it better now. But, I'd really like to see them get their hands on Dragonshard... probably impossible due to the license though.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So out of nowhere my brain just remembered, unbidden, Starcraft Aqueous Rift/Water Starcraft. It was, as you might guess from the name, a mod around 2000/2001 that aimed to add water units into Starcraft. It was also young RoboChrist's first experience with vaporware, and something I still kind of randomly remember and get bummed about every now and then.

I can't imagine that anyone on SA has any inside knowledge about the project or knows more than what little I remember - if even that - but stranger things have happened on this site. But really, what I'm wondering is what StarCraft modding is like these days. I'd not be averse to finding new, goofy, ways to enjoy my favorite RTS. I remember loving around with some Gundam one as a kid. LIke, surely, there's more mods now and more complex ones? I have no idea where one would go to get them though or what the big hub of ancient game activity is these days. My ancient rear end just remembers Infoceptor back when.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
There actually are a couple newer, big Starcraft 1 mods. My personal favourite is Burning Grounds, a flashy TC which pulls from Starcraft 2 but also has a lot of its own design, including some mighty impressive superunits.

Then there's Cosmonarchy, which is pretty much Broodwar+ with a bunch of new units, tech levels and even its own nascent competitive scene.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
You are my new best friend. Seriously, you just made my day.
Hopefully I can figure out how to get that poo poo running on a steam deck. :thunk:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Long as we're plugging Starcraft 1 mods, I'll also throw a plug out there for UEDAIP. Campaign mod that makes things harder, makes the AI more complex, and generally overhauls the campaigns. Has some tech tree changes that are described in documentation so you don't have to go in blind, and makes use of stuff like Bank Data and AI Allies that the original game never did. Lots of little consistency details.

Adds one or two new characters to the Brood War campaigns, and also turns the UED into their own unique tech tree, though with limited new visuals mostly restricted to palette-swaps of existing Terran units with their own sets of stats and abilities. Even works in Melee maps, complete with custom AI, and the Brood War version (vanilla and brood war have separate balance sets, so different .exes) can even be played online, as long as everyone's playing the same version.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Since Total Warhammer 3 is forever dead, I went and managed to get Dark Omen installed, working, and set up for 2560 x 1440 so here it is. It includes a mod that adds a bunch of campaigns and races too, not that I've messed with that stuff at all.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nrxCcBDRcVv5BIJ1V-RZDE3M-cbk7bC1/view?usp=sharing
And for anyone bitching about :filez: I found the game on Archive.org, come at me, Mods.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wait, what's that about Total Warhammer 3 being dead?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I just peeked into the TWW3 thread and I have no idea either.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It's a thread injoke making fun of TWW's fanbase's catastrophizing.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Mordja posted:

It's a thread injoke making fun of TWW's fanbase's catastrophizing.

This all started when they added Pontus to Total War: Rome 2!

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 1, 2023

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks
I've already binged through the following channels:
Any similar channels I'm missing? I haven't played TA or AoE so anything focusing on those wouldn't be on my list, nor have I really played any serious mods like Mental Omega.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Boldor posted:

Any similar channels I'm missing? I haven't played TA or AoE so anything focusing on those wouldn't be on my list, nor have I really played any serious mods like Mental Omega.

If you haven't watched Gyle you're missing out on some great SupCom matches.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Serephina posted:

Anyone played the new Dune RTS? Steam reviews are nuking it for not having a single player campaign... which to be fair, is kind of a big deal for RTSs and Dune IPs both.

I played a few games with it and it sucks. There are interesting secondary game mechanics with using spies and investing in the stock market. However the actual core of the game, the combat, the units and building stuff is really bad and feels mindless.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Thanks for that, it's a shame. For anyone else who's interested, Homeworld: DoK is a decent dessert-y RTS, where it really was doing its own (non-homeworld) thing with unit countering and positioning. It kinda falls flat for the final bit of the campaign however, once they introduce 'mandatory' staples such as artillery and battlecruisers, which wreck all sense of nuance. Absolutely worth the sale price and play time for any fans on the IP and/or genre, however.

----

Also thanks for the Dark Omen game, I played it years ago and can't wait to see how it holds up.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Jayborino is another good one. Lots of custom Warcraft 3 and Starcraft content, and once in a while tries something different too.

Has played a lot of the Arkain custom campaigns for Warcraft 3.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
This guy casts DOW2, or rather, the Elite mod, which is the de-facto multiplayer experience these days.
https://www.youtube.com/@IndridCasts

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Boldor posted:

Just got this channel in my recommendations (probably due to going through some of your links) that's got some Warcraft 2 & 3 and StarCraft 2 challenge runs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z13xAg2ANzY

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Anyone seen this ting?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2610770/Dust_Front_RTS/

"Dust Front is a classic RTS with grand strategy elements and a non-linear campaign. Lead strategic maneuvers, overwhelm your enemies with cannon fodder, or stomp them into the stone age with carpet bombing on the lifeless fields of Dust Front."

Art style certainly looks neat. Looks nice and grimy.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Looks sexy! Also requires a gfx card of 1050... gently caress.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah I've seen that in the works for a while. I think originally it was gonna be a roguelike RTS, glad that's changed.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Here's another channel that does challenge runs for SC1 and WC3, though as full individual mission videos without commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/@earthlord7606

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Mordja posted:

Yeah I've seen that in the works for a while. I think originally it was gonna be a roguelike RTS, glad that's changed.

Oh god. That would have been enough to shank it off the wishlist.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

How would a roguelike RTS even work?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Random tech unlocks at the end of every mission. Easy, really. Also: poo poo.

Hearing that they someone even considered that, for even a moment, strongly dampens my enthusiasm for whatever they're currently making.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's a new RTS, but I'm interested in this thread's resident's opinions on it: Anyone heard of Iron Harvest from 2020? It's on my wishlist with a steep discount, but I know nothing about it so it's clearly only there from someone else's suggestion. Any opinions if it scratches the old fashioned itch?

Fwiw I loved westwood and blizzard RTSs fwiw, and newer stuff like Deserts of Kharak, for a sample of my taste.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Serephina posted:

It's a new RTS, but I'm interested in this thread's resident's opinions on it: Anyone heard of Iron Harvest from 2020? It's on my wishlist with a steep discount, but I know nothing about it so it's clearly only there from someone else's suggestion. Any opinions if it scratches the old fashioned itch?

Fwiw I loved westwood and blizzard RTSs fwiw, and newer stuff like Deserts of Kharak, for a sample of my taste.

https://www.pcgamer.com/iron-harvest-review/

I know, PC Gamer, but it looks like it's a solid dawn of war / coh 1 throwback RTS. Also, it's six bucks. I'm going to pick it up too!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

It's a really mid Company of Heroes clone that rides and dies on the dieselpunk mech aesthetic... which it barely utilizes cause they're the equivalent of the high tier armored units in CoH.

The general unit pathfinding is incredibly bad too, you'll be babysitting your squads to make sure they actually get to where they're going a lot.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

yeah, nice as the aesthetic presentation is, that was completely intolerable for me. in CoH or DoW2 you get the odd moment of the pathfinding deciding to send one member of a squad to somewhere weird or around the wrong side of some cover, but it goes wrong so often in Iron Harvest I lost any interest in finishing the campaign

would've felt actively insulted if I hadn't gotten it for free

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
IH was a big disappointment. Great mech designs but it just lacks that *oomph* that makes COH games fun to play and I really didn't think the campaign was that good. Plus the factions weren't asymmetrical enough, and its infantry game was lacking. Does make me wish COH would do a Weird War setting instead of just sticking with WW2 tho.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Whelp, nevermind that then! Thanks for the advice.

Man, Steam is packed with half-finished RTSs, but like nothing complete and positively reviewed. Really seems like a struggling genre, shame we can't get a renaissance like "boomer-shooters" did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Throwback shooters tend to have really good campaigns while a lot of rts games seem to be eschewing it for some reason in order to focus on ESPORTS which is a huge, huge mistake. I think every single competitively popular RTS has really well received single player. The Starcrafts, WC3, AoE, etc. It's a great way to build up an audience who're even interested in multiplayer in the first place