Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Black Sunshine posted:

He's tied for 6th in TD passes and only has 8 picks though. He might not be exactly what Payton wants in a QB but if that's how he feels then it should've been dealt with in the off-season. They have too many wins for a blue chip QB prospect and not enough draft capital or players outside of probably just PS2 to make a move for one.

As a fan, if my team is still mathematically in the playoff hunt with 2 games to go then they need to try. Anything can happen in single game elimination so giving up now is some weak rear end bullshit and whoever actually made that call should be fired for making it. I should be happy about it because it actually gives my team a better playoff shot playing a Broncos team with a worse QB but it just really bothers me.

I’m presuming that Payton didn’t know whether Russ was going to work out until he’d actually spent most of the season coaching him. And there was absolutely no hope of getting anything for him in the offseason after his performance last year. Cutting or trading him simply wasn’t an option.

Russ has a decent TD to Int ratio because he’s been game managed to hell. Payton did the same thing with Bridgewater and Jameis when they had to start in NO. But Russ can’t run the offense as designed and can’t reliably keep the chains moving. It’s very boom or bust and you just can’t rely on that in the NFL. I think Payton believes (maybe correctly) that he can get similar production out of a way less costly option.

And even if he can’t Russ clearly isn’t in the long term plans so why wait to move on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Payton is mean, Russ is serviceable.

Mahomes and Andy are good.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Kull the Conqueror posted:

We're going to be in journeyman QB hell forever

PENIX seems like a Payton QB and should be available around your pick.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Chris James 2 posted:

They already did it once this month with Russ. Wasn't even close either

Plus Keenan Allen isn't playing.

There's no reason anyone should lose to this Chargers team

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

YOLOsubmarine posted:

And even if he can’t Russ clearly isn’t in the long term plans so why wait to move on?

Because with 2 games to go you still have a chance of winning the division. It doesn't matter if it's a small chance, it's still possible. The Chiefs offense is dogshit right now and just got manhandled at home on Christmas day by a Raiders defense that isn't full of superstars aside from Maxx. It's not out of the realm of possibility that they can drop the last 2 games, poo poo happens in the NFL.

I'd just be pissed as a fan and am kinda surprised that so many Broncos fans are cool with it considering that this is probably their best chance for a playoff spot over the next 2-3 years with the rebuild on the horizon.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Black Sunshine posted:

Because with 2 games to go you still have a chance of winning the division. It doesn't matter if it's a small chance, it's still possible. The Chiefs offense is dogshit right now and just got manhandled at home on Christmas day by a Raiders defense that isn't full of superstars aside from Maxx. It's not out of the realm of possibility that they can drop the last 2 games, poo poo happens in the NFL.

I'd just be pissed as a fan and am kinda surprised that so many Broncos fans are cool with it considering that this is probably their best chance for a playoff spot over the next 2-3 years with the rebuild on the horizon.

I don’t think Russ playing or not drastically alters their chances of winning the division or making the playoffs. The team clearly doesn’t think he’s very good given that they’re willing to pay 85 million dollars to make him go away. Broncos fans aren’t mad because they’ve watch a whole season of him holding the ball too long and refusing to make the throws he’s supposed to make.

Also, the Broncos will likely end up picking between 10-15 and this is a pretty good draft for QBs so they’ve got a shot at finding a guy in the draft.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 28, 2023

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Black Sunshine posted:

I don't think things are as dire as the Raiders/Chargers think their own situation is, lol

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

We're going to be in journeyman QB hell forever
You're just starting to scratch the surface of QB hell. I lived that script for 30 years. It's the worst feeling when you're 6-3 and people are bitching at you about your winning team because you absolutely know what's coming in January.

That useless winning streak set the Broncos back a few years.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I don't think things are as dire as the Raiders/Chargers think their own situation is, lol

I think things in Denver are about to get very very bad

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!

a neat cape posted:

Benching your starting QB for money reasons while you still have a (small) chance at the playoffs is certainly a look.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Corn Burst posted:

Benching your starting QB for money reasons while you still have a (small) chance at the playoffs is certainly a look.

They aren't going to have Russ next year, will be depending on either a rookie (They probably won't be able to get one of the top 3 guys) or Stidham. They're probably going to have to move Bolles or Simmons or Jeudy just to get under the massive cap hit that cutting Russ is going to bring, and that cap hit is spread over two seasons.

Like, the Chargers aren't in a good situation for 2024 but they can keep it at one bad cap hell year and be fine for 2025. Plus they have the quarterback figured out.

The Raiders are an enigma and I have no idea.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

a neat cape posted:

I've seen worse.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I've seen worse.

I don't think you have lol. Denver's never really been truly sustained awful before

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

a neat cape posted:

I don't think you have lol. Denver's never really been truly sustained awful before

*looks at last 8 years*

those weren't awful years??? :monocle:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

3 DONG HORSE posted:

*looks at last 8 years*

Compared to what Denver was before, yeah.

I will direct you to the Raiders over the past 20 years or the Lions for the past 30 to see what Awful looks like

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

3 DONG HORSE posted:

*looks at last 8 years*

You don't know what awful is until you experience 20+ consecutive years of sustained garbage football with a couple mediocre seasons thrown in to provide false hope

You have a Superbowl win less than 10 years ago, you're doing loving fantastic compared to most fanbases

*Incoming "Decade of Spectacular Failure" post about the Broncos*

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Simplex posted:

Courtland Sutton is in concussion protocol, and it's looking unlikely he plays. A Russ-led offense ain't scoring any points, so even beating the Chargers would be a tall order.

You know, I don't care about the Broncos trying to strong arm Russ into making a dumb decision. I don't care that he wisely said gently caress that. It just seems dumb and counterproductive for Sean Payton to lie about the situation. Like hey, if you tell the truth everybody is going to think you're an rear end in a top hat. But if you lie, the truth is going to come out and everybody is going to think you're a liar and an rear end in a top hat.

I guess the strategy is to strenuously claim you are not tanking. Who are you going to believe, Sean Payton or your lying eyes?

Rivera said similar when he benched Howell this week. He loves Howell, it's a lovefest, he'll be good soon I promise, this is for his development, but also I benched him.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
That the Broncos are screwed for this year and next has been fait accompli since around week 5 of last year. They just traded too much for too little, and ended up with a roster with very few players whose output is above their market rate. If every Bronco was a free agent next year, who would get a higher salary? Surtain, Meinerz, maybe Bonitto or Mims. Jerry Jeudy being a bust didn't help either.

It seems clear that this was a financial decision, plus a desire to evaluate whether Stidham can be a caretaker starter with which to develop a rookie. The questions in my mind are: how involved was ownership? Is George Paton gone as well? Are they going to treat the cap like Payton's Saints did, or think longer term?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Black Sunshine posted:

You don't know what awful is until you experience 20+ consecutive years of sustained garbage football with a couple mediocre seasons thrown in to provide false hope

You have a Superbowl win less than 10 years ago, you're doing loving fantastic compared to most fanbases

*Incoming "Decade of Spectacular Failure" post about the Broncos*

a neat cape posted:

Compared to what Denver was before, yeah.

I will direct you to the Raiders over the past 20 years or the Lions for the past 30 to see what Awful looks like

I'll say that winning a Super Bowl feels like doing the finest of cocaine so being without it is pretty miserable in its own way. But I can't say the Broncos will be any worse than the last 7-8 years based off the next two years. Certainly not Lions/Jets/Browns level. Now I ain't saying it's gonna be a fun ride, just maybe there's gonna be a sunrise eventually.

the Raiders deserve everything and gently caress the Chiefs

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Name Change posted:

I guess the strategy is to strenuously claim you are not tanking. Who are you going to believe, Sean Payton or your lying eyes?

Rivera said similar when he benched Howell this week. He loves Howell, it's a lovefest, he'll be good soon I promise, this is for his development, but also I benched him.

They’re benching Howell because he sucks. It’s the opposite of tanking. He’s averaging almost 2 ints a game over his last 5. If they wanted to tank they wouldn’t start Brissett who is actually a competent backup that can avoid big mistakes.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I'll say that winning a Super Bowl feels like doing the finest of cocaine so being without it is pretty miserable in its own way. But I can't say the Broncos will be any worse than the last 7-8 years based off the next two years. Certainly not Lions/Jets/Browns level. Now I ain't saying it's gonna be a fun ride, just maybe there's gonna be a sunrise eventually.

That's the thing: You're used to competent ownership who can keep things from getting too out of hand. Now your team is owned by Walmart.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Black Lighter posted:

That's the thing: You're used to competent ownership who can keep things from getting too out of hand. Now your team is owned by Walmart.

I expect the Walmart folks to be pretty bland and unobtrusive when it comes to letting the football people make decisions. For better or worse I think Payton is basically running the show now.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

solarjetman posted:

That the Broncos are screwed for this year and next has been fait accompli since around week 5 of last year. They just traded too much for too little, and ended up with a roster with very few players whose output is above their market rate. If every Bronco was a free agent next year, who would get a higher salary? Surtain, Meinerz, maybe Bonitto or Mims. Jerry Jeudy being a bust didn't help either.

It seems clear that this was a financial decision, plus a desire to evaluate whether Stidham can be a caretaker starter with which to develop a rookie. The questions in my mind are: how involved was ownership? Is George Paton gone as well? Are they going to treat the cap like Payton's Saints did, or think longer term?

Agree.

Russ continues to play mostly “fine” which simply isn’t good enough to take the cap hit in ‘25. And, as you said, we were planning on being awful for the next two years anyway. People need to knock it off with the “so you’re saying there’s a chance” playoff talk. Accept Russ’s cap hit as a sunk cost and move on. Find a cheaper guy to play “fine”, rebuild the rest of the roster, and stay on the lookout for options at QB.

Worth noting that Paton and Russ are the two big names still left from before the Lewis Hamilton acquisition. So with this move, I expect both to be gone next year, unless they can’t find someone who is willing to do whatever Sean Payton says.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 29, 2023

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
None of your logic/finance arguments make it less lame

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
They could have at least manufactured a fake injury as an excuse, but I guess you'd need Russ's buy in or at least silence for that to work.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

None of your logic/finance arguments make it less lame

This. It's honestly just pathetic

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Black Sunshine posted:

This. It's honestly just pathetic

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

They should gut the team and rebuild it after all the late era Elway and Paton gently caress ups but no way Payton passes on kicking the cap can down the road and elects for the Jameis Winston experience, once again.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think there's only a handful of dudes left over from Elway, this monstrosity is almost entirely Paton.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LiquidFriend posted:

Payton elects for the Jameis Winston experience, once again.

I'm down to see more Raiders INTs/pick sixes considering how rare they've been over the last 20 years so bring it on!

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

To some extent if you were paying attention I think this has already happened to Sean Payton.

And he made it through for better or worse, so might as well run it back pretending that Jarrett Stidham gives him a chance to win games.

Well the latest development is that Sean is pretending that he has nothing to do with any of this, and is actively throwing George Paton under the bus. This is after him earlier claiming that he is in fact the one in charge of this poo poo.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Simplex posted:

Well the latest development is that Sean is pretending that he has nothing to do with any of this, and is actively throwing George Paton under the bus. This is after him earlier claiming that he is in fact the one in charge of this poo poo.

i mean Paton's dumbass is the one who gave Russ this idiotic contract in the first place so he's not wrong

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbkRbWlUoRE

I thought this video with Tubfrog was an eye opening look at how astoundingly bad the Broncos QB situation has been since Manning retired

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

I think this article does a pretty good job of laying out where Payton is coming from.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sean-payto...-065323397.html

I don’t think he really cares about the money, though obviously the ownership does, I think he just wants a guy who will run the offense the way he wants and got sick of trying to make it work with Russ.

I also believe him when he says he’s not tanking. Payton is a lunatic, he’s not the type to try to lose games, but he’s definitely the type to think that the team is better off with Stidham running the offense the way Payton designed it vs Russ running it poorly.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbkRbWlUoRE

I thought this video with Tubfrog was an eye opening look at how astoundingly bad the Broncos QB situation has been since Manning retired

Can't find the image depicting it but, you know how the Commanders have the most starting QBs of the last 7 years in the league (2018-now)?

Washington: 12
Alex Smith
Josh Johnson
Colt McCoy
Mark Sanchez
Case Keenum
Dwayne Haskins
Kyle Allen
Taylor Heinicke
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Garrett Gilbert
Carson Wentz
Sam Howell

Broncos have the second-most

Denver: 10
Case Keenum
Joe Flacco
Drew Lock
Brandon Allen
Jeff Driskel
Brett Rypien
Phillip Lindsay
Teddy Bridgewater
Russell Wilson
Jarrett Stidham

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I know the Colts have also had a TERRIBLE time with the QB Carousel since Manning, it was a point of discussion during the Colts-Broncos game from hell last year.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
Russ was interviewed today and said straight out that "they" (the Broncos, but unclear if it was Payton or Paton or a Walton or Condoleeza) threatened to bench him if he didn't restructure his deal to take out the injury guarantee, right after the win against the Chiefs: https://www.threads.net/@troy.renck/post/C1dRCdqL5qO

Thinking about this today; I can get my head around a week 17 benching after the season is mostly over but to try and pressure him to take a pay cut mid-season? After the biggest win the Broncos had in years? In a way that will likely get the NFLPA involved? I can't defend that. That's not just an rear end in a top hat move, it's an amateur move. Did they think Russell Wilson of all people was going to keep that quiet in the media? I really want to know how these decisions are being made - how much is Payton and how much is ownership.

It'll be interesting to see how hard they play against the Chargers.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Redeye Flight posted:

I know the Colts have also had a TERRIBLE time with the QB Carousel since Manning, it was a point of discussion during the Colts-Broncos game from hell last year.

Tied with the Broncos at 10 in the same time period yeah

Andrew Luck
Jacoby Brissett
Brian Hoyer
Philip Rivers
Carson Wentz
Matt Ryan
Sam Ehlinger
Nick Foles
Gardner Minshew
Anthony Richardson

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

Can't find the image depicting it but, you know how the Commanders have the most starting QBs of the last 7 years in the league (2018-now)?

Washington: 12
Alex Smith
Josh Johnson
Colt McCoy
Mark Sanchez
Case Keenum
Dwayne Haskins
Kyle Allen
Taylor Heinicke
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Garrett Gilbert
Carson Wentz
Sam Howell

Broncos have the second-most

Denver: 10
Case Keenum
Joe Flacco
Drew Lock
Brandon Allen
Jeff Driskel
Brett Rypien
Phillip Lindsay
Teddy Bridgewater
Russell Wilson
Jarrett Stidham

As a Chargers fan, I can relate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

solarjetman posted:

Russ was interviewed today and said straight out that "they" (the Broncos, but unclear if it was Payton or Paton or a Walton or Condoleeza) threatened to bench him if he didn't restructure his deal to take out the injury guarantee, right after the win against the Chiefs: https://www.threads.net/@troy.renck/post/C1dRCdqL5qO

Thinking about this today; I can get my head around a week 17 benching after the season is mostly over but to try and pressure him to take a pay cut mid-season? After the biggest win the Broncos had in years? In a way that will likely get the NFLPA involved? I can't defend that. That's not just an rear end in a top hat move, it's an amateur move. Did they think Russell Wilson of all people was going to keep that quiet in the media? I really want to know how these decisions are being made - how much is Payton and how much is ownership.

It'll be interesting to see how hard they play against the Chargers.

I don’t think Payton gives a poo poo about Wilson’s contract and the fact that he didnt get benched immediately after makes me suspect it was Paton trying to save his job.